Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Question Program to rip a DVD (problems with K3B)

What can you tell me about programs to convert DVDs into a PC file (obviously without the menus)? I'm talking about video extraction tools (or "to rip" a DVD) that can make an XviD or MP4 file out of a video DVD.

I wanted to convert a DVD into an XviD these days and tried with K3B on my openSuSE 11.0 but I get tired after watching the progress bar at 0% after two hours... I don't know if it is a problem related to my video card because I have not installed its drivers yet and I'm running openSuSE on safe mode since two months ago or so...

But since I don't know exactly how to install the nVidia drivers neither on openSuSE nor Ubuntu I've decided to do the rip on other machine, so any advice would be helpful

Credits
    i use DVD Fab 5 Platinum ...
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    but does it reduce it in size?

all the (free) ones I tried, the sizes are the same.

a typical dvd movie, just the movie vob files are about 4-5 gb;

I like a program that not only rips the dvd, but also converts those 4 to 5 vob files into one avi file totaling 700 mb (for single discs)

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    but does it reduce it in size?

all the (free) ones I tried, the sizes are the same.

a typical dvd movie, just the movie vob files are about 4-5 gb;

I like a program that not only rips the dvd, but also converts those 4 to 5 vob files into one avi file totaling 700 mb (for single discs)
    yeah ... it reduces in size. you can change the bitrate and/or the file size as well as the overall size (w/h) of the movie as well. i love it and would say about 90% of my rips i used DVDFab for ...

Credits
    Thanks for the info!

Credits
    Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering if you guys could recommend a program, hopefully free, that can rip just the audio. I've got some concert DVDs that I would love to rip onto my iPod. Windows or Mac is fine.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.