Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Question The Driver (1978, Walter Hill)

Anyone seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077474/

Is "The Transporter" a ripoff of this?

(I think "The Transporter" is a ripoff of the Clive Owen's BMW films; those films came out before the movie did)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077474/alternateversions

http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Ryan-ON...6183070&sr=1-1

Also according to IMDB, there was a 131 min version but the DVD is only 91 min.

Has anyone seen the 131 min version or know where I can find it?

Credits
    You obviously are not a 'Car Nut', the Driver was released on DVD in only one version for the NTSC market, the same cheesy edition with nothing at a bargain price of $11.99 back in 2005.
    Now, going back to the VHS peak day's it did show up as available in some distributor catalogs which was an obvious gotta get one thing for me. Turns out that the studio would be willing to sell you a copy Artwork box and all, but they needed a confirmed minimum amount orders before it was worth this limited production, going price $160.00.
    So, placed the order and it took about a year before I got my copy.
    Now, if an extended edition was released, this was probably it, unfortunately I cant confirm it since I disposed of it when I switched to DVD's.

As far as the movie goes, The Transporter was probably loosely based on this movie as there are similarities, namely the indoor parking garage wait in The Transporter, which in The Driver plays a different role, but none the less not coincidental in my mind but the overall story is different.

The acting is poor, and was an obvious "B" movie for the times, but the whole thing became a cult movie for the Car Guys because of the chase scenes which are some of the best in any movie of the time. Just forget about the inside shots that go back and forth showing the same car as an automatic, standard on the floor and then on the tree, the continuity is way off, but overall it makes for great entertainment.

The 2 most notable parts of the movies are the parking garage at the beginning, and the end chase scene between the Firebird and the Little Red Express truck, these are classics!!!!

Definitley good entertainment if nothing else.....

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

j7wild Guest
    I checked with my local library and they are part of the Inter Library Loan system which means they can get most anything from any of the 1000s of participating Libraries across the USA.

2 Libraries in the USA supposedly have the 131 min VHS version; hopefully they are willing to let my local library borrow it for a week.