Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits

Cool Star Trek Into Darkness

Paramount announced release date:

6/29/12

IMDb site.

Credits
    http://themovieblog.com/2010/01/kurt...trek-2-villain

Kurtzman and Orci were talking again about what they might do with the Star Trek sequel.

Will it have Khan? Orci has said bluntly “We would never do a remake…” so that appears to rule out Khan as a badguy, but they are not ignorant to the impact of a strong villain in the film.

FirstShowing quotes:

“I think our idea on this is that the first of any series is about them coming together or the formation. I couldn’t really tell you what Jeff Bridges was doing in Iron Man, but it doesn’t matter at all because it is all about Iron Man becoming Iron Man. Whereas I think sequels are very much about the villain. Because while [in the first one] the villain serves to bring the crew together, the second one I think has to be a true challenging of what that family is about. That is why Wrath of Khan was so amazing. Khan tested each one of them and ultimately asked for the [ultimate] sacrifice, and that is why that movie held up so well.”

I like how they are insistant that it will not be a remake of the sequel in the original film series. I really want them to go all fresh and new and NOT just recycle the old storylines with the new cast.

Hop ahead to where Kirk has become a phenom and the youngest Captain in Federation history. Have others challenge his sudden rise in ranks, have doubt and plenty of character interaction, but have his crew solidly behind him. Then bring in a villain worthy of the format.

Should it be Khan. No. We know in the timeline that he is out there, as are his genetically created superpeople. But will Kirk even cross paths with him now that will trigger the events of Wrath of Khan? Who says there is any wrath now?

I like how they illustrate how Nero was an unimportant villain. I felt that way, but they made it obvious as to why he wasn’t played up as a major presence. Its not what their film was about.

I look forward to seeing what they do with a villain in Star Trek 2. They seem to have their head in the right place here. Origin is over, now lets have a serious conflict!

I vote for a badass Klingon Warlord!

Credits
    I heard that they were very eager to bring in William Shatner somehow. I really loved the first movie (or the twelfth movie, I guess) - I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Credits

Credits
    New footage to be shown before Hobbit IMAX -

Paramount will sneak the first nine minutes from J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness before Peter Jackson's December tentpole The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey...IMAX 3D theaters, the studio announced Monday.

Abrams used IMAX cameras to capture several sequences in the sequel, which opens May 15.

The Hobbit, from New Line and Warner Bros., opens Dec. 14. The Star Trek sneak will play in roughly 500 IMAX 3D theaters.

“Our longtime partners J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk and the Bad Robot team have really hit it out of the park – the footage is absolutely incredible," said IMAX Filmed Entertainment president Greg Foster.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

j7wild Guest
    Good!

I was planning to see The Hobbit on IMAX!

j7wild Guest
    LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SUMf6aEE2YI

p.s. Can someone please change the title of this thread to Star Trek Into Darkness

Credits
    Yipee - thread title change! That means the movie is truly now on its way

Credits

First Poster!

First Poster ! (Click for higher resolution)

j7wild Guest
    How unoriginal!

Reminds me of this:

Credits
    Yes, unoriginal. They could have done better.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

Credits
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99858

Following the debut of the Super Bowl spot for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness, IMAX and Paramount announced that fans across North America will be able to experience the movie exclusively in IMAX® 3D beginning at 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15 – two days in advance of the wide release on May 17 . Tickets for the first shows can now be accessed exclusively via the new Star Trek Into Darkness app from the App Store and Google Play.

"As we saw with the reaction to the first nine minutes of the film, which debuted in our theatres in December, fans are clearly excited by the opportunity to see this epic film come to life in IMAX," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Entertainment. "We're thrilled to work with our long-standing partners at Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures to offer audiences an opportunity to see J.J. Abrams' masterful interpretation two days early in the world's most immersive format – IMAX 3D."

The IMAX release of Star Trek Into Darkness will feature approximately 30 minutes of footage filmed with the extremely high-resolution IMAX® cameras. These specific sequences, which will expand to fill more of the screen exclusively in IMAX, will deliver unprecedented crispness and clarity and a truly immersive experience for moviegoers.

Credits
    At least the superbowl teaser finally settles that the enterprise does indeed crash into San Francisco.

j7wild Guest
    I've been trying very hard to avoid reading anything about this movie so I will go into the movie theater on opening weekend unspoiled.

I just came across these posters of Alice Eve as Dr. Carol Marcus.

I didn't even knew Alice Eve was in here much less which part she was playing.

Wasn't Dr. Carol Marcus Kirk's ex girlfriend in Star Trek The Wrath Of Khan?

She was in charge of the Genesis Project and the Mother of Kirk's only son?

Credits
    Star Trek Into Darkness projected to make more overseas (1st trek film ever to do so!)

Ditch Spock's ears. Lose the wacky costumes. Don't have characters spend so much time yakking on the bridge of the Enterprise.

That's the sort of advice Paramount is heeding as it prepares to open its sci-fi epic "Star Trek Into Darkness" on Thursday in the U.K., Australia and five other countries. Determined to make its sci-fi epic sequel a global hit -- unlike any of the preceding "Star Trek" movies -- the studio has gone to great lengths to make it more appealing to foreign audiences.

"I guess less Trekkie, more action might be the short story," Paramount's head of international distribution Anthony Marcoly told TheWrap Tuesday. "But since I arrived here 18 months ago, a primary part of my mission has been to make sure this movie succeeds at the overseas box office the way it will domestically, and our team has done a great deal to make sure that happens."

The film opens in the United States in Imax theaters on Wednesday, May 15, and wide a day later. Pre-release projections show it debuting north of $90 million domestically.

Extensive research, marketing tailored to individual markets, casting designed to resonate with international audiences and extensive ground campaigns by the movie's creators and talent like Chris Pine have all preceded the international debut. Over the past couple of months, director J.J. Abrams and producer Bryan Burk have barnstormed through Asia, Europe and Latin America, screening extensive clips.

"We did a lot of focus groups in a lot of countries, and asked what they liked and didn't like and we listened," Marcoly said. "Basically, it was more action, more of the adventure elements and less of the real Trekkie stuff." The stuff, in other words, that turned the 1960s TV show into a cultural phenomenon in America and launched the film franchise.

Paramount didn't have much choice. With a $195 million production budget, Abrams' follow-up to his 2009 "Star Trek" reboot will have to score big overseas to be a success. And that's a feat none of the previous films – including the last one – have been able to achieve.

Since "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" launched the film franchise back in 1979, the 11 movies in the series have taken in more than $1.8 billion, but just $312 million from abroad. Indeed, the franchise's appeal and cast of characters was seen as so U.S.-centric, that Paramount didn't bother to release several of the earlier films abroad.

The 2009 "Star Trek" easily became the franchise's biggest box office hit by taking in $387 million worldwide, but didn't make much of a dent in the overseas market with just $128 million. That's not terrible, but it meant foreign accounted for less than a third of the total grosses. That won't cut it in today's box office world, where pricey tent poles often double their domestic hauls overseas.

Warner Bros. faced the same sort of challenge last year with "Dark Knight Rises," since the similarly all-American Batman franchise had never been able to match its domestic popularity at the foreign box office.

The studio went out of its way to reverse that trend, but may have benefited most from the explosive growth in the number foreign theaters and the emergence of markets like China, Russia and Mexico. "Dark Knight Rises" was the first Batman movie to make more abroad than in the U.S. ($636 million to $448 million) on its way to $1.08 billion globally.

"Into Darkness" should be the first of the "Star Trek" movies to pull that off, according to Exhibitor Relations vice-president and senior analyst Jeff Bock.

"With the last movie, I think they essentially launched a whole new franchise," he told TheWrap. "Most of the people who will be seeing this film will know who Chris Pine is, and have no idea who William Shatner is."

"Into Darkness" was shot in 3D, and with the proliferation of those theaters abroad and foreign audiences' fascination with the format, that should further pump up the box office.

In addition to its marketing efforts, Paramount has stacked the deck in its favor with its overseas release schedule. The seven markets that it opens in this week were the seven in which "Star Trek" did the best at the box office. The U.K. was the best of those, with the film taking in $35 million over the course of its run there, a reality not lost on Paramount.

The worldwide premiere of the "Into Darkness" was held in London last week (photo at top) and popular British actor Benedict Cumberbatch (right) is the villain in the film. That's by design, and Marcoly said he expects the U.K. to be the most lucrative foreign market for the film.

"Into Darkness" will add around 25 markets the following week on, but has staggered several of the others. It will open in China later this month – none of the other films have played there -- and in Japan in August.

"That gives us more time to promote and hopefully we'll be building on the momentum from the U.S. and the strongest foreign markets," Marcoly said.

The last "Star Trek" movie took in just over $19 million from openings in the same seven markets that "Into Darkness" debuts in this week. Another sci-fi epic, Ridley Scott's "Prometheus," brought in around $25 million from the same group last year, and Marcoly said he'd like to see this weekend's total land between those – or do even better.

"I like our odds," he said.
    Last edited by Granite; 05-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast