Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Lethal Weapon remake???

Please ,please,no,no, just NO!

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/warn...weapon-reboot/

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and producer Joel Silver have set Will Beall to write Lethal Weapon, with a take that will relaunch the buddy cop series with a new cast. Beall, a former LA police officer who patrolled South Central and wrote the novel L.A. Rex, has seen his stock rise at the studio because of his script Gangster Squad, the period crime drama about an elite crime squad that fought against organized crime kingpins like Mickey Cohen. Zombieland helmer Ruben Fleischer has come aboard to direct that film.

Warner Bros has been messing around for some time with Lethal Weapon 5, with a treatment written by original scribe Shane Black. The plan was to bring the original team back, but schedules didn't match up and Mel Gibson's image has taken a self-inflicted beating. Beall pitched a take that maintains the tone of the original--a hard R-rated edgy street cop movie. Beall's repped by CAA and Management 360.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/tales-gangs...e-warner-bros/

There’s a bunch of potential new remake news from Warner Bros. today, most of which is either silly or plain idiotic. This is one of the silly ones: the studio has moved from the idea of making Lethal Weapon 5 (which Shane Black has already outlined) to rebooting the series entirely. Tales From the Gangster Squad writer Will Beall has been hired to write the film based on his pitch for a “hard R-rated edgy street cop movie.”

Mel Gibson reportedly passed on the fifth film, and all love for Shane Black aside, he was probably correct in doing so. So Lethal Weapon 5 is dead, and I think even the most die-hard fans of the series can probably live with that.

So why is this idea silly? Two reasons. One is that the characters of Murtaugh and Riggs are inexorably linked with Danny Glover and Mel Gibson. The idea of recasting them is, at the risk of abusing this word, silly.

The second reason is that recasting the roles and revamping the movie just results in a distant copy of Lethal Weapon, and we already have dozens of those. Thanks to Shane Black’s energetic script, Richard Donner‘s direction and some very smart casting, Lethal Weapon became one of the benchmarks for action films, and along with Midnight Run and 48 Hours is one of the defining points on the ‘buddy comedy’ template.

I’m all for a fun, hard-R street cop movie. I’d be happy to see one that channels the spirit of Lethal Weapon — the exaggerated characters, the quippy humor, the well-executed action. But if a script is strong enough to become that, allow it the dignity of being its own thing. Will Beall has been a cop, and I’d love to see how his personally-informed take on the genre would shape up. I can guarantee it’ll be a lot more interesting to audiences if it isn’t presented as Lethal Weapon 2012. [Deadline]

Credits
    Why not, Hollywood seems to be remaking everything else from the 80s. Maybe this one will be in 3D too!!!!
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

j7wild Guest
    there's only one Martin Riggs and that's Mel Gibson!!

I don't care who you cast in the remake for the role of Riggs and how good of an actor he may be, but no one will ever replace Mel Gibson or do as well of a job as Mel did as Riggs!!

Credits
    Looks like they are going to do a reboot, not a remake so it won't be Riggs and Murtaugh. Still a dumb idea if you ask me. If you're going to come up with something original don't call it Lethal Weapon unless you're just looking to cash in on the franchise name.

j7wild Guest
    they already tried to reboot the Lethal Weapon movies and they came up with this crap:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386588/