Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Comparisons of Trailer Encodes

I wasn't sure whether I should create the thread here or in Trailer News but I figured this might be a good idea for a thread for anybody interested. We can post image comparisons of various trailer encodes here.

The encodes in question are Apple, Moviefone and Yahoo. Now it's probably not even necessary to state this but just in case: The Apple and Yahoo screen captures have recognisable watermarks and the screen captures without watermarks are from the Moviefone encode.

The images have not been enhanced in any way and I did my best to make sure that the images being compared are of the same frame in the corresponding trailers.

I'll start the thread with comparisons of X-Men: First Class (Trailer 2):

Credits

Credits

Credits

Credits
    Cropping

For some reason, Moviefone crops their trailers slightly on the top and at the bottom. If anybody knows why they do this, could you please tell me? Apple and Yahoo's encodes aren't cropped.

Watermarks

Apple and Yahoo's trailers have visible watermarks while Moviefone's trailers have none.

File Size

Moviefone's encodes always appear to be the smallest in file size while Apple and Yahoo's encodes alternate between being the biggest but always tend to be very close to one another in terms of size.

Image Quality

While Moviefone's encodes tend to soften the grain (visible in Apple's and Yahoo's encodes), image quality is lost in doing so - the image appears slightly blurred and more pixellated in the Moviefone encodes. The image is more crisp in the encodes of Apple and Yahoo.

The colours appear to be more vibrant in Moviefone's encodes while the colours are slightly less vivid in Apple's and Yahoo's encodes. There is a slight tint difference between Apple's and Yahoo's encodes.

Since Moviefone's encodes are more pixellated, the handling of shadow detail is poor. Apple and Yahoo have the upper hand once again but Yahoo ends up being the winner in terms of shadow details.

Personally, I find Yahoo's encodes to be the best in general (for now, anyway). Now if it wasn't for that ugly watermark, they would be even better. :p

Credits
    I'd have to agree. about Yahoo being the best. Also, if you notice, Apple's trailers are lighter than the others. I don't think I've ever seen one acheive true black. And Yahoo keeps the aspect ratio correct. A lot of the time Apple's encodes are 1920x1056 instead of 1920x1036. And same with scope trailers, but I can't remember if they were puting them all at 1920x800 or x816... I think it was 800 even if the aspect ratio was supposed to be 2.35.

j7wild Guest
    blah... they are all nuked!!

I miss the good old AOL encodes.

Just kidding!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
    I'd have to agree. about Yahoo being the best. Also, if you notice, Apple's trailers are lighter than the others. I don't think I've ever seen one acheive true black. And Yahoo keeps the aspect ratio correct. A lot of the time Apple's encodes are 1920x1056 instead of 1920x1036. And same with scope trailers, but I can't remember if they were puting them all at 1920x800 or x816... I think it was 800 even if the aspect ratio was supposed to be 2.35.
    Yes, Apple's trailers lack contrast and shadow detail. Yahoo has done some questionable encoding before but they've shaped up to be the best at the moment.

But it's nice to have options for people who disagree.

Credits
    I just wish Yahoo and Apple didn't use watermarks. It's more Yahoo's watermark that bothers me. Apple's is small enough that if you're watching on a TV with overscan, you don't even see it. But Yahoo's is like the bottom 70 lines of an encode. That's a huge amount!

Credits
    I definitely agree. This is the reason why I don't download from Yahoo anymore even if I used to when it wasn't here .