Thanks Thanks:  0

View Poll Results: Should movies forever be shot on film or be shot on full digital?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • FILM

9 40.91%
  • DIGITAL

13 59.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    another reason why FILM is better ..... David Fincher ... and he makes good use of film grain which I love very much...

these scenes can never be black as black if it was shot in digital...

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    another reason why FILM is better ..... David Fincher ... and he makes good use of film grain which I love very much...

these scenes can never be black as black if it was shot in digital...

Yup. Exactly what I am rooting for. Mixes the best of both worlds. Check the collectors edition DVD of 'Se7en' . Fincher and his cutters go into detail, how they create the typical 'Fincher-look'. 1st: film yr stuff with 35mm HQ film stock ... then transfer it to a digital medium ... then manipulate it till yr a** hurts.
    Lucas is doin a very good job to push digital filming but IMHO there are still too many flaws in this technology. Perhaps ILM is doin their jobs TOO good ... in the end they are overexciting the media.

Another thing I wanna mention: one famed cinematogrpaher (forgot his name) once stated, that it took the technology more than 30 years to make cameras 'free', which means ... no wiring, no cables etc. A whole new level of camera work! (steadycams and the likes for instance). But with DV camers you have to go one step BACKWARDS ... all the disadvantages from ages ago keep poppin up again.

Credits
    i take it back, i think Digital photography and movie making will be the future, or will have a bigger role. Look at The Matrix Reloaded , it was shot in film but was directly transfered to digital and edited in digital, thats why we have the great quality trailers from them and the movie will also "look" clean and great.

But movie makers can always opt for film and make overly saturated/grainy movie like the recent Minority Report..

Credits
    I agree with ur last comment. I too like film because of the way it looks but digital is clearer, sharper, the sound is better and film quality degrades. I like fil but I think digital will overcome it like DVDs overcame VHS

Credits
    i say "Digital". yes there is a certain artistic feel to film that can only get by film. the grain effect ,when using digital, is still at best, only an effect. yes, you also have higher dpi when using film as opposed to digital. i think it will take a few more years before the digital world can cath up to the dpi of film. you will also have die-hard directors, like speilburg, who openly oppose using the digital medium. but the discussion is on the medium itself, not the content of movies.... a good movie is not based on the medium but the director. the director has the heart and the eye for a movie. the film or digital is just a tool to get that across.

the reason i say digital is this one reason.
    today, there isn't a movie that doesn't have some type of CG in it. (except maybe the low budget B movies or indies)... when you take a film and transfer it to the PC to add your cg and output it back to film, it looks like crap. take a look at the CG Gollum from the Two Towers or even Jar-Jar from Episode 1. you can see a distinct difference between what is real and what is CG. the CG is much more clearer and cleaner than the rest of the movie and makes it stand out like a sore thumb. however, if you look at Episode 2, where the entire movie was done using 100% digital, there is not one CG element that stands out. because the CG and the movie itself was digital. there is no halo around the CG, there is no sharpness around the cg as opposed to the film. therefore, the movie itself looks better, it looks cleaner and sharper.

i am not opposed to film. i just prefer digital. it is the future.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    That's some good reasoning but I think we should still use film. Look at The Matrix Reloaded... pretty hard to point out what's CGI and what's just a shot effect in that trailer eh? They made the whole movie on film and then transferred their dalies to digital video... so it's shot on film, but immediately transferred to digital, which is what I wish Lucas would've done for Star Wars.

Credits
    i think it is time for Digital

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123