Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Star Trek: Nemesis - Review

The tenth movie in the Star Trek saga, Star Trek: Nemesis, is a visual feast, has some great action scenes, and some funny dialogue.

Star Trek is now seemlessly integrating CGI into most of its shots.
    The result is the Enterprise soaring thru beautiful nebulas and orbiting richly textured planets. I'm curious if a model for the ship is still used or if its all CGI.

The dialogue is great and rarely trite. Brent Spiner gets some great lines in the movie (some of which devolves into his usual over-detailed descriptions of what he is doing or experiencing, but not too much). Worf is relegated to a secondary character, as is Geordi. There is some great interplay between Riker and Troi, who finally "tied the knot" in Alaska. The best performance comes from Picard as always. He reacts very subtlely to the performance of his "nemesis" Shinzon.

The action is very intense. As always the space battles are edge-of-your seat (yes there is a great space battle, but go see the movie to find out why its so good). Hand-to-hand combat was handled well, but only when it was one on one. Lots of soldiers made it a little silly.

The biggest thing I had trouble with was Shinzon's vendetta against humanity. It really didn't make any sense.

Trekkie problems: [Hidden due to spoilers]

1) Why was data so unfamiliar with his v0.5 brother? What about Lore? Data acted as though he had never seen another copy of himself.

2) On the planet they found Data's brother, they said it was of pre-industrial development, yet they were attacked by ugly-aliens in jeeps with bullet-guns? The ugly aliens looked like Remans, but if they were, why didn't they just steal disruptors from their Romulan overseers?

One final note and spoiler surprise: Will Weaton made the final cut. There was talk of the scene he was in, the wedding scene of Riker and Troi, getting cut down to exclude him. Looks like he made it in though, even if only for less than a minute.

I think the movie was a good end to the Star Trek saga. The sagas been going for a long time, maybe its time to put it to rest.

Will they make another one? You bet your sweet @#$ they will...

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
    Last edited by Granite; 12-15-2002 at 01:50 PM.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits

Thumbs up Nemesis - LOVED IT

Let me start by saying this is the second best Next Generation film. The critisism this film has received is both blown out of proportion and is unjustified. This films has thrills, suspense, laughs and sadness.

This film does have flaws but what film does not???? The lighting in the desert scene is terrible and some characters (Worf, Geordi, Wesley) don't have enough screen time for a proper send off. However, these are only minor flaws and don't detract from my overall experience of the film.

Does anybody remember how empty you felt after Kirk's death and the half baked send off of the first crew in Generations? I felt just the opposite here. Let me put it this way. If this is the last movie for this crew....THANKS, ITS BEEN FUN!!!!

If your a fan of Trek or the Next Generation crew then you owe it to yourself to see this film. Don't listen to the critics or you will miss out on the last great adventure of Picard and crew.

GO AND SEE THIS MOVE............MAKE IT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Credits

Thumbs down My thoughts on the subject..

Where oh where does one begin when we have so much to dicuss. I will offer this little introduction to anyone who has influence within the Paramount company.

F I R E . . . R I C K. . . B E R M A N ! ! ! ! !
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

If this seems a little extreme to you, I ask that you do a little research into this characters work on Star Trek.

Rick Berman has been with Star Trek for a long time now. Rick was brought on to work on Star Trek - The Next Generation under Gene,(the main player in the original creation of ST). When Gene passed away shortly before the release of The Undiscovered Country aka. ST 6, Rick Berman slid into Gene's old role. Oddly enough this is just about the time when Next Gen started to do some VERY poor episodes. Rick has been working on ST ever since, and has also had his hand in the cookie jar on all 4 Next Gen movies. Moving right along.

As the man who is responsible for making things happen, it is HIS JOB ALONE to make sure the product is worthy of it's fans.

If I start to rant I am sorry, but I am a loyal fan to what ST is at the heart, and it pains me to see someone like R.B killing that which I love. He has no idea what the word continuity means.

Lets just sumise his movie works on ST.

Star Trek - Generations: why did you use the same exploding Klingon Bird of Prey sequence as you did for the previous movie. Did you really think because you zoomed in we would not notice?

Star Trek - First Contact: about the same score in my books as Nemesis gets. Can we please have something fresh?!? Yay, The Borg!! and this time they are so pi$$ed at the Federation that they have sent... umm.... 1 cube (please, underwhelm me a little more).

Star Trek - Insurrection: "Deploy manual flight stick!" and out pops a Thrustmaster joystick. When selecting an adversary for Capt. Picard perhaps more than 2.5 minutes of thought should be applied to the subject at hand. This guy was a joke.
    ( This movie was by far the worst Next Gen movie to date. It would have made a decent episode while Next Gen was running, this was not up to movie standards ).

Star Trek - Nemesis: So I don't spoil anything for anyone I will keep this VERY vague. I read a first draft of the screenplay for this quite a while back. A lot was changed. For the worse. Scenes were re-written, shortened, removed. Characters were out of character. Pircard does at least have a worthy adversary in this one, and the actor who plays him is well cast in the role I felt. I found myself sitting back in the chair for my screening, very bored to be frank. I can get into more detail if asked but I would like to sleep tonight, I did afterall just screen Two Towers(GREAT MOVIE!!) and it is late.. or early rather.

To sum it all up, if you are interested in what I am saying is true just look into all of the different TV series and find out which episodes Rick Berman did writing for. At an almost 100% success rate, he writes it, and it will suck. He leads them, and it will fail.

This is a quote out of many mouths on the Star Trek movies. They have said this about them all. "This time around we are making the movies for everyone, not just the fans."

SHUT UP!!!!!!

If you are not making the movies for the fans then why are you making the movies at all ?!? Oh yeh.. money. Here is how their math is wrong. It is hoped that if they make a good enough movie enough people from all walks of life may come and see the movie to make it's money back. The problem with this is that for arguments sake 1/3 of those people are the trek fans and the rest are just movie-goers. If you write an EPIC trek movie for JUST the fans here is what will happen. Each fan WILL see the movie at least 2 times. Trek fans are very good at getting people hyped. At one time it was said that close to 51% of the TV watching world population considered themselves regular watchers of Star Trek. This was when Gene was still running Next Gen. YOU CAN MAKE THESE PEOPLE FANS AGAIN!

It will need to start at the top though, and Rick Berman will need to go.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that the Nemesis idea was Ricks again, and was rejected when originally proposed instead of Insurrection for the last movie. John Logan cannot be held accountable for this movie because the story idea was crap to begin with before they gave it to John to write.

In My Humble Opinion.

Bro Jay
    Last edited by Brotha Jay; 12-18-2002 at 04:21 AM.

Credits
    Brotha Jay ... that was very insightful. Thank you ... I guess I'll pass on Nemsis. Cos, you know, Berman will only get fired when Nemesis bombs. I have no hope in this franchise anymore, unless there's some fresh blood in the creative department.

Credits

Re: My thoughts on the subject..

Originally posted by Brotha Jay

F I R E . . . R I C K. . . B E R M A N ! ! ! ! !
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    You Are my new best friend.

Credits
    Patrick Stewart said Tuesday that whether or not Paramount decides to produce another Star Trek movie, he will not return as Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

Speaking to reporters at the London premiere of Star Trek Nemesis Tuesday night, Stewart said, "You never want to outstay your welcome. Just like an athlete, it's horrible to go on when the best is over."

Although "Nemesis" opened to mixed reviews, Stewart maintained that it was the best Star Trek movie he had ever done. "I could think of no better way to bow out," he added.

Thanks to Studio Briefing for the heads up.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    naaah! give it some time, and with millions on the table everything is possible

Credits
    After dropping 76% its second weekend, and a cume of only 26 million, I don't predict another sequel.

Guess it proves Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are the kings of fantasy and sci-fi.
    Whatcha Gonna Do!?