Thanks Thanks:  6
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    j7wild Guest

Exclamation Disney Buy's LucasFilm, Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015

With a new Star Wars film coming out in 2015 too.

I will believe it when I see it and also, with Disney in charge of Lucasfilm, it's probably going to SUCK even more than Episode 1-3!!

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

Credits
    This is great news. The potential for something good coming from a Star Wars movie now that Lucas is only an observer is huge. I haven't been this excited for the Star Wars franchise for a long time.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

Credits
    Can this thread get re-titled and moved to Movie News? This is pretty big.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    There was a investors conference call and apparently the following points were mentioned:

1) Disney now owns all LucasFilm IP: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Skywalker Sound, LucasArts (games), Lucas Books/Animation/Licensing/Marketing/Online, and ILM (the company that once owned Pixar), as well as the trademark for "Android" or "Droid". Disney will now own all intellectual property rights with some distribution and licensing "entaglements" based on existing deals, much like how Universal still has the Marvel theme park license for a while yet and Sony makes Spider-Man movies.

2) Much was made of Disney's global licensed product and distribution reach making better use of LucasFilm licenses, with all emphasis on the $4.05 billion paid being relative to the value of the Star Wars franchise. For example, this would imply that any Star Wars (and Indiana Jones?) licensed comic books will now go under Marvel once the current Star Wars/Dark Horse contract ends, and video games would go through Disney Interactive.

UPDATE 1:: Bob Iger: "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms" ...so maybe Star Wars comics are safe at Dark Horse? ...I want to say no way in hell, when you own one of the two megalithic comic publishers...

UPDATE 3:: The Star Wars 1313 game is staying on track, per a LucasArts statement.

3) Disney plans to release a new Star Wars movie every 2-3 years starting in 2015. All of them will be in 3D.

4) Star Wars Episodes 7, 8, and 9 will be a trilogy. The treatment is done, is in "early stage development", and the movies are to be released every other year.

5) ILM will remain a studio-agnostic gun for hire. Disney does not want to change anything about how they operate.

6) Fox retains ownership and distribution of all existing Star Wars movies (until that contract expires...?). Disney can use any and all characters from the entire Star Wars canon in all of its new movies. All future films will be distributed by Disney, unlike Paramount retaining partial distribution rights when Marvel was acquired. No mention was made of who now owns the Star Wars Holiday Special.

7) They made it extremely clear that the Indiana Jones (and other non-SW) IP was not factored into their valuation of LucasFilm, only Star Wars and Star Wars-related IP. They made an oblique reference to "entanglements" (i.e., Paramount's distribution and ownership of the existing movies and, I expect Young Indy, if they remember it exists).

8) This may be reaching, but they made repeated reference to the broader reach of the Disney content family in general, and toward the end someone asked about the Disney Faeries and other "girl-oriented" IP expansions and how they'd handle that. Disney sidestepped addressing it in terms of specific plans, but acknowledged that they have many plans in this area for sure.

UPDATE 2:: Bob Iger: "We love the fact that this will take its place in our live-action strategy as a known and loved brand. We really like Star Wars’ potential on TV, and Disney XD would be a great home for that."

This means that the long-rumored live-action Star Wars TV series is just the tip of the iceberg. No word on how Clone Wars (distributed by Warner Bros on home video) falls into any of this.

9) I just realized this means that Disney now fully owns Captain EO and Star Tours. This deal has been in the works for a long while, I guarantee you. Think about it.
    The above was taken from Moises Chiullan's website. I don't know him, but apparently he was listening to the conference call. Source

Credits

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    Does anyone know if this also included Skywalker Sound, or was that a separate company?

Credits
    According to that site I quoted above, Skywalker Sound is included:
    1) Disney now owns all LucasFilm IP: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Skywalker Sound, LucasArts (games), Lucas Books/Animation/Licensing/Marketing/Online, and ILM

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by goodasgold View Post
    According to that site I quoted above, Skywalker Sound is included:
    Missed that. Thanks! Score for them. Skywalker Sound is one of the best audio recording studios in the world.

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

Lucas noted that he wrote original treatments for 7, 8, and 9, and handed them over to Disney.

Lucas' admission that he has even bothered to write treatments for 7,8, and 9 pays put to the lie that he was never going to make continuation movies.

It also proves that he's a massive sell-out.

In the end he sold out to the very same studio system he claimed to hate and want no part of.

He took the money and....waddled.

Seeing Lucas getting out of the SW business is a day I thought would never come.

Maybe someone is going to come along and make SW films for the kids in all of us, and make a film that appeals to both young and old without insulting the intelligence and without annoying characters like Jar Jar binks!!

Maybe make a film where the director seems to give an actual damn about story continuity and integrity. Gives a damn about acting and storytelling.

Let the directors hype and rumours begin!

I pick Joss Whedon!!

He is the only Director for this job!!

And PPPPLEASSSEEEE NO J. J. Abrams!!

Is John Williams going to compose the music to all 3 films?

It's not Star Wars without John Williams!!

Maybe now we will see the Original Trilogy released on DVD in their original 1977, 1980 and 1983 theatrical cut and screen format without any of the awful changes that Lucas made!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    It also proves that he's a massive sell-out.
    LOL...your just realizing this now? There was ample proof of this for years and years. He was a sell out not long after "The Empire Strikes Back" came out. Maybe even just before, when he realized how much money he could make. But more power to him I say. Good for him for creating something worth Billions and then profiting from it before he dies. I wish I could do that.

j7wild Guest
    I came across this Star Wars Timeline a few months ago.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timel...lactic_history

Episode 4-6 happened between 0BBY and 4ABY.

After that, there is a whole universe to be explored from 4ABY to 138 ABY including Han Solo and Princess Leia getting married.

I wonder what are they going to use?

I doubt they will bring back Han, Leia, Luke, etc they (Ford, Hamill, Fisher) are too old now even if they were coming back to play their roles 20 or 30 years after the events of Episodes 4-6

Credits

My concern is not with the Future releases, Disney have come a long way since Tron and The Black Hole, but they still have a long way to go. As far as I'm concerned, they can go ahead and screw up the entire curriculum of Lucas franchises, won't bother me a single bit, after all Lucas was doing that himself.

Lucas made a fortune, may god bless his soul......., and good riddance none the less.

Now, my interest is one simple thing, Lucas always said he would never release the original theatrical versions of many, but mostly "Star Wars", so now that Disney owns all the rights, my hope is that Disney, which has this nasty habit of re-releasing all their stuff after "vaulting" them for a few years, might just be the ticket for a complete restoration of the ORIGINAL.
    It might be a pipe dream (or a Fanboy's wet dream), but at least now we stand a chance of getting it.

j7wild Guest
    If the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels are an indicator of the quality of Disney's brain trust, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for this seventh movie to be anything other than a bloated CGI disaster.

Credits
    Now it could finally happen:

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Secret of Monkey Island

and the next Star Wars movie could be:

Star Wars VII: The Curse of the Lone Jedi

Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, directed by Gore Verbinski and of course starring Johnny Depp as a Jedi from the old days, with a strange attitude. Joined force with the son of Luke Skywalker to avenge the death of his father, rescue his love and defend the galaxy from the intrigue of an Sith-Brotherhood.

Credits
    Two Videos for this:

and the first wrinkle in the deal:

While Disney will own and release future films in the "Star Wars" series, the deal does NOT include the distribution rights to the pre-existing "Star Wars" films.

Those rights remain with 20th Century Fox. In fact, Fox owns distribution rights to the original 1977 "Star Wars" film in perpetuity in all media worldwide.

It also has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide to the other five films in the series through May 2020.

This means Disney can't issue a 'complete saga' set unless a deal with Fox is made. It certainly means fan hopes for Blu-ray editions of the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy won't happen.

Fox also plans to still re-release the 3D versions of "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" next Fall.
    Source: Dark Horizons

Full article here at the Hollywood Reporter.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast