I found this interesting. I rember watching this years and the animation I wanted to win dident.

Source: <a href="http://www.countingdown.com/movies/oscars/movieinfo/story?item_id=2717299">CountingDown.com</a>

Beverly Hills, CA - Seventeen films will compete for the Best Animated Feature Film Oscar in the 2002 Academy Awards® competition.

The Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted last night (12/10) to activate the category for the 75th Academy Award Presentations.

The 17 films were accepted as eligible to compete by the executive committee of the Short Films and Feature Animation branch of the Academy, which recommended to the board of governors that the Award be given for this year.

The films are:

<i>"Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights"
"Alibaba & the Forty Thieves"
"Eden"
"El bosque animado (The Living Forest)"
"Hey Arnold! The Movie"
"Ice Age"
"Jonah - A VeggieTales Movie"
"Lilo & Stitch"
"Mutant Aliens"
"The Powerpuff Girls Movie"
"The Princess and the Pea"
"Return to Never Land"
"Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron"
"Spirited Away"
"Stuart Little 2"
"Treasure Planet"</i>

"The Wild Thornberrys Movie"The eligibility of two of the films, "Eden" and "The Wild Thornberrys Movie," is subject to their opening in Los Angeles prior to December 31. "Eden" is scheduled to open December 13 and "The Wild Thornberrys Movie," December 20.
Under the rules for the category, a maximum of five films could be nominated.

The Best Animated Feature category was created in September, 2000, and first presented last March.

Films submitted in the Best Animated Feature category also may qualify for Academy Awards in other areas, including Best Picture, provided they meet the rules criteria governing those categories.