Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Originally posted by Marcus

And do some research about Canada while your at it!!

Probably the two places in the world most mis-represented in film and TV. Maybe. I really don't know.
    Three places. Same for Australia!

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    Originally posted by Marcus
    I mean really....we don't live in igloos or anything. Infact there has hardly been any SNOW here this year and we don't say EH all the time. Well, maybe we do but we don't notice it and it's not a big deal...grumble grumble grumble...
    Someone actualy asked me once if i lived in a and I quote, "Grass-Shack".

Credits
    Originally posted by editman
    Look at all the Best Movies of the past 5 Years (or since "Titanic"). Which one truly deserves it!? None!
    IMHO.

Titanic was great.
    Shakespeare Falling in Love is boring crap, Saving Private Ryan should win.
    American Beauty was very good by US standarts.
    Gladiator was decent but not year's best.
    Beautiful Mind is ok, but not better than Fellowship of the Ring.

Credits
    Ok... my thoughts.

Titanic was a decent movie, and there wasn't much in the way of good competition, so it was a decent win.

SIL was crap, and Private Ryan deserved to win.

American Beauty was great, and deserved the Oscar.

Gladiator was very good, and since Crouching Tiger demolished any suspension of disbelief frequently, Glad was a good pick.

Beautiful Mind was boring, Fellowship was good, and Moulin Rouge had them both beat hands down.

This year: Well, as long as 2 Towers doesn't win, I'm happy. My picks would be Gangs or Adaptation. Chicago, maybe.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Voting for "Spirited away".
    Second best: Tresoure planet (mainly becouse of nice integration of pirats & stuff from 17. & 18. century in space).
    Live long and prosper
    Terraner

Credits
    I think that the animated films should be nominated first on their animation techniques and second on the relationship of the animation to the other points of the movie (i.e. score, screenplay, acting).

What I want to be nominated (based on above):

1) Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron - has Longest continuous animation shot in movie history, as well as great score and narration

2) Treasure Planet - Disney dares to be different from its classic animation (like Lilo & Stitch) without the total help of Pixar

3) Spirited Away - Anime needs to be nominated, as its animation quality beats American animation hands down

4) Ice Age - The best CGI movie not made by Pixar

5) Powerpuff Girls - Yeah its a silly movie, but the animation style lends itself to the screenplays very well

What will be nominated (speaking of best picture films, look at how in recent years made a lot of money...):

1) Lilo and Stitch

2) Ice Age

3) Stuart Little 2

4) Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron

5) The Wild Thornberrys
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    I think we can all agree that the Best Picture winners are fed to the Oscars on a platter.

Titanic - crap. L.A. Confidential should've won.
    Shakespeare in Love - Fine with me, just as long as Saving Private Ryan didn't win.
    American Beauty - well made. But not the best picture of the year. Dancer in the Dark should've won.
    Gladiator - Ugh. Utter crap. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should've won by a loooooooong shot.
    A Beautiful Mind - Mediocre at best. In the Bedroom was miles above this in all terms of filmmaking. As was Gosford Park. And Moulin Rouge. And The Fellowship of the Ring.

Conclusion? Don't watch the Oscars, you'll only get frustrated.
    At the center of the world there is a statue of a girl. She is standing near a well with a bucket bare and dry. I went and looked her in the eyes and she turned me into sand. This clumsy form that I despise scattered easy in her hands. And it came to rest upon a beach, with a million others there. We sat and waited for the sea to stretch out so that we could disappear into the endlessness of blue, into the horror of the truth. We are far less than we knew.

Yes, we are far less than we knew.

Credits
    Originally posted by Movie Wizard
    Someone actualy asked me once if i lived in a and I quote, "Grass-Shack".
    OK here's an honest question. Do Americans have anything like this?

I doubt the 1 hour special ever aired in USA but if you have any Canadian friends, see if they can tape it for you. They usually play it about once a year now.

If you're too lazy to follow the link, basicly a guy comes up with stupid questions, asks Americans, and we get honest answers. Things like "Should we stop the Toronto polar bear hunt?" and "Should we stop sending our old on iceburgs and float them north to die" There are Americans (educated ones too) that think it's serious.

Back on topic....

I think Granite has it just about right. There is a huge difference between what should be nominated, and what will be nominated.

And if Stuart Little 2 counts as an animation, logically wouldn't films like Star Wars count too?

Credits
    Anyway Japan never had a comics code so they have all sorts of crazy stuff over there. Sad story really. We need more cool stuff.
    I've read sth about anime censorship, which is quite strange. The thing is that they're not allowed to show pubic hair, that's why most of hentai is about school girls. Also censorship made hentai animators creative in a way, that they started to come up with wild stuff, like demons with tentacles in shape of penis, but it was ok, cause the penis was green or blue and not part of a human body, which was ok by censors.

I mean really....we don't live in igloos or anything. Infact there has hardly been any SNOW here this year and we don't say EH all the time. Well, maybe we do but we don't notice it and it's not a big deal...grumble grumble grumble...
    This reminds me on Finland. My wife works in a city museum and she told me stories about Americans coming to the museum and asking where they can see polar bears, only to be told that there are NO POLAR BEARS in Finland. But they just don't get it and keep asking if they will see them if they go more North towards Lapland. I mean people seriously think there are polar bears walking on the streets in northern Finland...
    . Uri .

Credits
    I doubt the 1 hour special ever aired in USA but if you have any Canadian friends, see if they can tape it for you. They usually play it about once a year now.
    I've seen this just couple of days ago on Finnish TV (can't remember the channel, but I think it was national TV - YLE). Funny as hell. It reminds me on Jay-walking from Tonight Show.

And if Stuart Little 2 counts as an animation, logically wouldn't films like Star Wars count too?
    Hmm, I'll have to get back to you on that one, but I recall reading somewhere the rules, which basically state that animated movie to be nominated has to be over 70min and over 70% of it has to be nominated and at least 3 major characters have to be nominated... So I would say that SL2 is very much on the edge and it got through, mainly cause the main character along with 2 side characters are 100% animated.

With that in mind, compare Star Wars movie length and SL2 length and then compare the percentage of animation or screening time of particular animated character and importance of it to the overall movie.

Credits
    Spirited away is an easy vote... Ice age was ok, but Raymond was totally miscast... I do believe that Ice Age falls far behind the likes of Toy Story or Shrek...

Credits
    I can't believe I saw Spirited Away twice. Guess that will win but there are alot of other animes that are alot better!!
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Originally posted by Kn'thrak
    I can't believe I saw Spirited Away twice. Guess that will win but there are alot of other animes that are alot better!!
    Okay, okay. But wouldn't you agree that it IS the best animated film of the year?

Credits
    from that list, possibly... but I've seen better. Millennium Actress is the best anime and MOVIE i've seen for the year but I'm not sure if it has had a world release yet. It should next year (2003).
    Last edited by Kn'thrak; 12-30-2002 at 12:25 AM.

Credits
    Originally posted by Kn'thrak
    from that list, possibly... but I've seen better. Millennium Actress is the best anime and MOVIE i've seen for the year but I'm not sure if it has had a world release yet. It should next year (2003).
    Agree. Millennium Actress is very good. Some say (in Japan) it's better than Spirited Away. I have to see "Millennium Actress" once again to decide though.

Anyway, the point is: not one American animation movie made last year deserves an Oscar. If films like "Ice Age" or "Lilo and Stitch' wins, it's because of politics, not because they deserve it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast