Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Credits
    Getting back on subject here, Treasure Planet was by far the best animated film this year. I didn't like Spirit, and Lilo and Stitch was just crap. The Academy usually likes epic films (but not Fellowship because it's Sci-fi/Fantasy and they hate that)*. Treasure Planet deserves it, but it being a Sci-fi film Spirit will win.

*=While the Academy may not like Sci-fi/Fantasy, Two Towers has a stronger chance of winning Best Picture than Fellowship did, because it did not contain as many fantastical elements (It seemed more human and real.) It was also simply a better film.
    When you got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Credits
    Originally posted by IceGambit
    Getting back on subject here, Treasure Planet was by far the best animated film this year.
    Have you seen Spirited Away?
    At the center of the world there is a statue of a girl. She is standing near a well with a bucket bare and dry. I went and looked her in the eyes and she turned me into sand. This clumsy form that I despise scattered easy in her hands. And it came to rest upon a beach, with a million others there. We sat and waited for the sea to stretch out so that we could disappear into the endlessness of blue, into the horror of the truth. We are far less than we knew.

Yes, we are far less than we knew.

Credits
    I just watched Spirited Away, and I have to agree, that it should win Best Animated easily...
    I would even nominate it for Best Picture.

Credits
    Originally posted by MovieDetective
    Have you seen Spirited Away?
    I did not enjoy Spirit, and if I am the only one, then so be it. :butt:

What is the heart of an animated film? The animation. At least you'll admit the animation of Treasure Planet was far superior to that of Spirit.

Credits

Wink

Is animation in Spirited Away the same 8-12 fps as in Princess Mononoke?

Credits

What is the heart of an animated film? The animation. At least you'll admit the animation of Treasure Planet was far superior to that of Spirit.
    Spirited Away (Sen To Chihiro No Kamekakushi) and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron are two different films. The former is made in Japan by Hayao Miyazaki, one of the world's greatest animator dare I say. The latter is an average Dreamwork animation.

Judging by your message, IceGambit, I believe you haven't seen Spirited Away.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    Many apologies for the confusion. When I said I didn't like Spirit, I meant Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. I forgot about Spirited Away, which had a limited US theatrical release and I never saw it. Agreed, Spirited Away probably would win, if nominated. Still....Treasure Planet was really good.....(*scampers away feeling shamed and embarrased*)

Credits
    Has Millennium Actress recieved a U.S. release yet?
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Anyone know where I can get Millenium Actress? (divx, bootleg, whatever)

Credits
    Dreamworks has the rights to the film, and they have promised to release a subtitled theatrically in 2003 with a DVD release (and no mention about the possibility of a dub track) later in the year. No anime fan should miss the chance of seeing it one way or the other.

This movie better get a Best Animation Movie of 2003.

Credits
    Wait till next month, JPB, when Millennium Actress will be out on DVD in Japan. (According to Amazon.co.jp that release will have English subtitles. Whether anyone will rip it and DiVX it I don't know. I also have no idea if there're bootlegs out there!)

And Kn'thrak, I don't think it is released in the US yet. But bear in mind Spirited Away was out in Japan in 2001 and wasn't released in the US until more than a year later.

Credits

Interesting view. Treasure Planet and Spirit (the horse movie) are IMO highly likely to be nominted for best animated film. I argue Spirit above Treasure Planet because for most of the movie the CGI in Spirit was more seemlessly integrated with the traditional animation than Treasure Planet had it. The opening sequence in Spirit was enough to convice me the animation was better than that of Treasure Planet.

Story issues are a different story. Both movies are completely different. I allow that Treasure will be a serious competitor for the award because of a great adaptation of the classic Treasure Island, but I think the issues presented in Spirit were more well done (even if Mustang horses were not native to America)
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    According to the Studio Ghibli web diary, Toshio Suzuki will be present at the 2003 Academy Awards where Spirited Away is nominated for the award for Animated Theatrical Feature. No mention is made of Miyazaki, but it seems that the decision was made to send only Suzuki. Source: ANN

Credits
    Originally posted by Kn'thrak
    According to the Studio Ghibli web diary, Toshio Suzuki will be present at the 2003 Academy Awards where Spirited Away is nominated for the award for Animated Theatrical Feature. No mention is made of Miyazaki, but it seems that the decision was made to send only Suzuki. Source: ANN
    Fair enough. I doubt even if Miyazaki-san comes to the Oscar and even if "Spirited Away" wins he will give an acceptance speech in English.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234