Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Batman: The Frightening (contains HEAVY spoilers - but script may bejust a rumor)

As long as it's not directed by Joel Schumacher!!!

From Ain't it cool news
    I managed to get my grubby little paws on a draft of what I assume may be the next Batman movie. My big bro works for a division of WB and handed me a photocopy of what is currently titled Batman: The Frightening and the credited writers are Rafael Yglesias and Terry Hayes. Neither name struck a bell so I wasn’t sure if I’d be enduring another Batman and Robin or something special. Well, I’ll be honest, this draft is something special. The date on the draft is from December 23rd of 2002 and was marked as a First Draft so I’m not sure what will be changed, but with a little work I think this could be a great turn around for the franchise.

I’m not sure what you’ve reported on this flick so far so I’ll give you a few quick tidbits on what is and isn’t in the script. The villain is The Scarecrow. Robin is not in the movie and is never referenced to, nor is Batgirl. Alfred is here of course and Gordon is in it quite a bit, in fact plays a very integral role in the entire thing.

I’ve never been a huge fan of the comics or the movies, but I think what I found most striking is how dark the entire thing was. I’m talking a complete 180 from what we’ve seen in Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, and even a few shades darker than the first Batman. WB seems to be going an entirely different route with the franchise now. Batman is a detective first, crime fighter second. The means and technology he uses to unravel the crimes is some of the coolest stuff in the script.

The character of Jonathan Crane is the most riveting villain in, well hell, any comic book movie I’ve seen yet. He reminded me quite a bit of Norman Osborne from Spiderman, and his alter ego The Scarecrow is one of the most sinister sumbitches you’re likely to find period.

Now to get into a few spoilers. The script is written in flashback form. It starts off with Batman’s escape from Arkham Asylum, and then reverts back to what led up to the point of him going insane and being locked up. Throughout the main narrative there are flash forwards where we see Bruce Wayne struggling with what he had done to end up at Arkham, and the latter part of the film is him moving on past Batman and living with the scars he’s caused.

The action sequences, if filmed properly, should be pretty impressive. The breakout from Arkham is a pretty cool thing in and of itself, and introduces Alfred as a more integral part of Batman’s operation. The finale on The Scarecrow’s blimp is equally cool and relentless. Seriously, by the time I finished the script I needed to take a long nap, it hits hard in all the right spots.

A couple of things I didn’t care for were the slow spots right after the breakout. It takes awhile for the script to live up to its opening, and the detective work of Batman seems sometimes tedious in that we already know who the villain is and where the fear gas comes from. Btw, the fear gas is used in just about every which way possible here, including one very cool scene where Gotham’s Finest surround a factory, and then after being exposed to the gas see The Scarecrow's convey come crashing out of the walls in the shape of a rhino stampede, which leads to a very lengthy chase sequence.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits

Lightbulb

IMDB for writers mentioned above:

Rafael Yglesias

-From Hell (2001) (screenplay)
    -Misérables, Les (1998) (screenplay)
    ... aka Misérables, Les (1998) (Germany)
    -Death and the Maiden (1994) (screenplay)
    ... aka Jeune fille et la mort, La (1995) (France)
    -Fearless (1993) (novel) (screenplay)
    -Rising Son (1990/I) (TV) (story)

Terry Hayes

-From Hell (2001) (screenplay)
    -Vertical Limit (2000) (screenplay)
    -Payback (1999) (screenplay)
    -Mr. Reliable (1996)
    ... aka Mr. Reliable: A True Story (1996)
    ... aka My Entire Life (1996) (USA)
    -"Bangkok Hilton" (1989) (mini) TV Series
    -Dead Calm (1989) (screenplay)
    -Clean Machine, The (1988) (TV)
    -"Dirtwater Dynasty, The" (1988) (mini) TV Series
    -"Vietnam" (1986) (mini) TV Series
    -Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)
    ... aka Mad Max 3 (1985)
    -"Bodyline" (1984) (mini) TV Series
    -"Dismissal, The" (1983) (mini) TV Series
    -Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)

Credits
    I wish they do this... would be true to the new evolution of batman.. i wonder who would be cast as batman though...

Credits
    Sounds good. But I hope they don't "lighten it up" to fit in with the newer batmans.

I liked the first and Batman Returns but they started sucking from there. Batman & Robin was the worst so far.