Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Past Tense - Death Has Come To Your Little Town Part II

In the original, played by Donald Pleasence, Loomis was scared of Michael. He knew what kind of man or rather what Michael's wasn't. There are moments where he's like a child frighten of the dark. But he knows he's the town's best bet to put this jinn back in the bottle. There was awe and respect, mixed with panic.

And here?

McDowell's Loomis is downright flippant - an arrogant ass. And should've died.

Left to right; Danielle Harris as Annie Brackett, Scout Taylor-Compton as Laurie Strode and Kristina Klebe as Lynda Van Der Klok.

The only good thing was Danielle Harris as Annie, yes she's still playing a teen here (was thirty at the time), but she looks the part. Her attack was so brutal (made me flinch) - one of the few highlights. This what it should've been, an unstoppable killing machine on the loose.

Fear Michael.

This is such a lost opportunity, if there is any genuine justice, years from now they'll look back on this remake as a cautionary tale for future filmmakers - what NOT to do.

...Shari Moon Zombie.

Dude, we get it, your wife wants to be in the movies, like Lucy Ricardo. That's totally okay - just give her bit roles. That's cool. Don't give her any more major part, please.

Shaky cam. Man, that should've been at best a short lived fad. Or have a legitimate reason to be there, as in "Cloverfield" (2008).

I like these quotes.

What's happening in the movie industry is exactly what happened in the music industry. We're getting prepackaged "art" devoid of any and all originality. Executives are more worried about making stuff that'll have kitsch value or that America will feel safe knowing about, and so we are left with an absolute overload of banality.

What next? A remake of JAWS from the shark's POV? The original HALLOWEEN was a great piece of pop filmmaking... a perfectly calculated, tight little work that didn't waste a breath on anything unnecessary.
    - Blue Meanie 1138

People excusing garbage just for the sake of excusing garbage. Ignoring horrible performances, ungodly writing, and a total lack of atmosphere while using ****ing box office numbers as a point of exhaltation.
    - IndustryKiller!

Why do I own it then? There is just enough, barely enough elements that make me want to keep it. But make no mistake, this is a crappy movie. The sequel, "Halloween 2" (2009) is EVEN worse. And it still made money! I'm reminded of a comment Uncle Bill said on the dead podcast "Dead Pit", paraphrasing...

'If you feed sh!t [movies] to enough people for long enough, they develop a taste for it.' Which is why we have a rise in mediocre cinema in Hollywood; formulaic without passion.

Wanna know something else? I didn't care about the new Laurie Strode (Scout Taylor-Compton), uber vanilla.

Going back to Ms. Harris. She's a very attractive woman, I wish she hadn't gotten addicted to tattoos. Her back and side is tatted.

I am glad that another attempt was made at a sequel, not another reboot. The now opened "Halloween" 2018 movie. Which jumps over the eight sequels and Rob Zombie flicks, though I did enjoy "Halloween II" (1981) - that was a direct continuation of the first.

And I'm liking John Carpenter's involvement. He was creative consultant and executive producer. Plus wears the composer hat too. The guy knows how to make good synthwave.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

My favorite holiday isn't Christmas, it's Halloween. And for the past years I've seen it diminish. In the past retailers would have these big seasonal displays. I recall one year the grocery store Stater Bros. had a huge haunted pirate ship in the store. The deck at arms reach - they had various Halloween items for sale. Quite impressive.

The last time I saw such a thing was more than seven years ago at a 99 Cent Only, they turned one of their store pillars into a haunted tree. Quite sway.

So what happened?

Talking with a friend of mine, he said something I had not considered... Christmas.

Each year Christmas is being offered earlier and earlier, this year accessories were on sale in September. Halloween is being pushed to the wayside, becoming less and less relevant. This saddens me. Don't know what can be done. Retailers have pretty much made their decision.

My heart sinks. I can't be the only one who cares.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

Debated if I should do a write up for week four. But there are six more days to Halloween - so here's three more. Enjoy.

"Cooties" (2014)
    Clint Hadson has fallen on hard times. Dreams of making it big as a horror author has faltered. No choice, but to gain work where he can. He returns home to Ft. Chicken, Illinois; working as a substitute teacher at his former middle school. Clint reunites with his high school crush, Lucy McCormick now an English teacher; only to learn she's taken, dating the P.E. teacher, Wade Johnson. But his life gets significantly worse on an epidemic level. Tainted chicken nuggets served for lunch have turned the kids into homicidal psychos. A contagion that only effects children, pre-puberty. It turns into a siege as the infected attempt to kill all adults. Worse yet, they discover more tainted chicken nuggets are on their way to other schools.
    Lionsgate - 2015 - R

"Dean Koontz's Phantoms" (1998)
    Jennifer Pailey and her sister Lisa arrive for a ski vacation in the mountain resort town of Snowfield, Colorado. The seemingly implausible has happened; four hundred plus residents have died or simply disappeared in the middle of their daily activities. Unnerved the pair decide to leave town, but cannot when their jeep which had worked moments earlier, refuses to start. Setting out on foot, they soon find three cops who have just returned to town and they too become trapped. Searching for the missing citizens, the group uncovers an ancient beast responsible for mass extinctions. Based on the Dean Koontz's novel of the same name.
    Dimension Home Video - 1998 - R

"Freaks Of Nature" (2015)
    Set in an alternate universe where vampires, zombies and humans co-exist (for the most part); society has found a way to tolerate each other with various government programs. Dag Parker is navigating high school life, trying win the affections of classmate Lorelei (a vampire) as well as enjoying his friends Petra Lane and Josh Fadem. Life gets turned upside down when a massive alien ship arrives with hostile intent. The Dillford town folks prepare for war with each other and the invaders as peace is broken - each group no longer wishing to help the other. Our friends set out to save the town and the world. A horror comedy.
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment - 2016 - R

The monstrous roar softens with each triumphed blow; the fiend is broken and beaten. It slinks back into the dark, but like with all tales; evil can be vanquished, but not wholly defeated. This beast will surely rise out next year, ready to terrorize and indulge in dreadful delights.

And with that - the 4th Annual Limited Edition Horror is put to rest.

Have a safe and fun Halloween; hot ladies - do wear sexy costumes. Not only for yourself, but for everyone else; you're doing a public service. Repeating myself, never a cliché, don't drink and drive.

I have a new update for the "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective" - this month is the movie's 50th anniversary. A three parter.

See you here on November 8th, 2018 for the next, regular Past Tense installment.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-06-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - October 28th, 2018

Ash Vs. Evil Dead: The Complete Series (available now)
    Exclusive packaging and Ash bobble head; BD/DC combo $49.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (available now)
    Exclusive photo book and bonus content; BD/DVD/DC combo $16.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (available now)
    Exclusive photo book and bonus content; 4K BD/BD/DC combo $21.99

Hotel Transylvania 3 (available now)
    Exclusive glow-in-the-dark steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on April 3rd, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This time out we get ourselves labeled 'Newbie' on year one of "Scrubs"...

"[Scrubs]: The Complete First Season" was released on home video on May 17th, 2005.

It streeted against "The Grudge: Unrated Extended Director's Cut", "Six Feet Under: The Complete Third Season" and "Team America: World Police - Uncensored And Unrated".

This release originally came with transparent slipcover with additional artwork printed on. The front of the digipak (holding three discs) came with a printed plastic sheet on top of it; blue tinted X-ray of a pen inside a lung. The mock X-ray is detachable, held in place with a gob of glue and a fap on top. I haven't removed mine. In fact the whole closed digipack (which is also embossed) resembles a metal clipboard case. It came with three inserts. 1) A booklet for showcasing various Buena Vista Home Entertainment TV shows on DVD (ten series shown - various seasons). 2) A contest form; win the (then) complete Buena Vista television DVD library collection ("BVHE TV-On-DVD Sweepstakes"; twenty-five box sets).

The contest ran from November 23rd, 2004 to March 31st, 2006. I never entered, I still have my insert. 3) A two page episode listing (disc content, not extras), but no air dates. It resembles a mini medical folder.

- - -

On street, Best Buy offered the sole exclusive, a bonus disc. The set sold for $29.99. The DVD has a run time of 22:00 minutes, this came in a printed sleeve, shrink wrapped on the box's rear - the sleeve's rear mimics the slipcase's back.

The extras are presented in full screen.

Sorry, I don't have an image of that week's ad. This predates my records. *shrugs*

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

This popped in my head; the 1984 sci-fi classic, "Night Of The Comet".

The Extinction Level Event occurred on December 14th, 1984; taking the film's release year as the fiction year. The radio station's broadcast states that there were only eleven more shopping days left until Christmas.

When Reggie Belmont (Catherine Mary Stewart) gets home the morning after the apocalypse, she says to her sister, Samantha (Kelli Maroney), "It's Saturday morning, where are the god damn kids?", this would make the evening of Friday 14th, the Night Of The Comet.

The radio was auto playing that day's broadcast, Saturday (15th); when the sisters arrived at the station.

Well, I guess I'm the only one who's not outside watching the meteor shower. I just might put the radio station on autopilot and sneak out myself.
    - Steve LaBeau; radio DJ on the air as the next great extinction was happening

Why does the tape reel (at the station) say "Friday's Voice Tracks"? Probably since it was recorded on Friday for broadcast the next day. In the same way that magazines' month listed on its current issue is rarely ever that month when the issue came out... you buy May's issue in April on so on.

*They all should've died...*

We learn through the course of the feature that those directly exposed to the comet's ray are reduced to red carbon dust, and those who avoided direct exposure (being inside) are more gradually being reduced to dust, becoming flesh-eating ghouls in the process. Eating for the blood, the moisture and probably nutrients.

Our main characters survived the comet's effects because they were shielded by steel; Regina and Larry Dupree (Michael Bowen) were in a steel projection booth; Samantha spent the night in a lawn-storage shed and Hector Gomez (Robert Beltran) with the girl he picked up spent the night in the back of his sixteen wheeler.

We also learn that the scientists, despite shutting themselves away in an underground bunker/complex, were also exposed because they left their vents open.

There is a huge problem here.

The scientist's subterranean shelter, even with the vents open - fans running, would have offered more protection than a projection room, garden shed or the back of a truck, none of which would have offered airtight seals from the comet's effects.

- - -

"Comet" may have been inspired by the October 8th, 1974 ABC TV movie, "Where Have All The People Gone?". A solar disturbance annihilates most of the human race; killing people where they stood, turning them into white dust and drove animals insane, especially dogs. The few survivors immune to the effects (were in a cave at the time) attempt to rebuild their lives in a de-populated Earth. It was an unsold series pilot that starred Peter Graves, Verna Bloom and Kathleen Quinlan.

This has been released officially on home video only on VHS only from Timeless Video Inc. (a.k.a. Hollywood Select Video Inc.) in 1994 (ISBN 1-55784-903-X; video #92553). The cassette came in a video slipcover, not box (clamshell).

Anyhow, it can be found on YouTube. I need to see this, I'm curious.

By the way, Quinlan played med tech, Peters in the 1997 sci-fi horror film, "Event Horizon".

- - -

This was a great comedy show and was for most of it's nine seasons, I say most since the final year lost much of its allure. The main stars had left the show - making limited guest appearances. Too many new characters were added and the series format changed as well (hospital to medical school). I DO get it. Had it worked, this would've been the foundation for new generation of characters to become doctors.

But it didn't - too many alterations. It was okay, but I see it as eight good seasons and one passable season. They got a good run.

Hard to think of it as being seventeen years old, the show debut on October 2nd, 2001. It feels just a fresh, good job.

This is odd, I thought actress Sarah Chalke (Dr. Elliot Reid) had starred in the children's series, "V.R. Troopers" (1994), a "Power Rangers" knockoff. Turns out it was actress Sarah Brown. There you go.

I DO remember Chalke from an NBC TV movie, "I've Been Waiting For You", aired on March 22nd, 1998. Wanted to watch it at the time, but forgot. Did catch the last fifteen or so minutes. I thought I would see it again when it re-ran, nope, did not happen. I was however able to find it online ([B[YouTube[/B[), broken into several parts. It was sway.

That title was one of the Halloween 2018 "Limited Edition Horror" movie recommendations, the DVD.

The suspense/thriller co-starred Soleil Moon Frye as 'the bitch' - yup Frye, "Punky Brewster" herself.

Big deal at the time - from the writer of "I Know What You Did Last Summer" (1997), I remember that from the TV spots. Yes and no. Both this television movie and that theatrical film came from the same source, Lois Duncan; a 'young adult' novelist. "I've Been Waiting For You" from her 1997 book, "Gallows Hill". "I Know What You Did Last Summer" was from the 1973 book of the same name. Yes, '73. Hollywood isn't know for being original.

Duane Poole adapted "I've Been Waiting..." for the small screen.

The television movie was put out on DVD (zero special features, full screen as was the film) on August 19th, 2003 from Artisan Home Entertainment. Now out of print, I'd like to find a copy. It came with an insert, chapter listing. And was one of the final releases to come out on VHS.

My apologies - this post is two days late, honestly thought it was suppose to happen next week.

That's it. The next PT will take your temperature on November 22nd, 2018. Indeed. Now turn your head and cough.

Credits
    Target - November 11th, 2018

Stranger Things: Season 2 (available now)
    Exclusive VHS packaging with photo set; BD/DVD combo $24.99

Credits
    Best Buy - November 13th, 2018

Meg
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season One
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $44.99

Wreck It Ralph (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $28.99

Incredibles 2 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $34.99

Alien: 6 Film Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $39.99

Planet Of The Apes: 3 Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $39.99

Credits
    Best Buy - November 20th, 2018

Kin
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $27.99

Shape Of Water (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $19.99

Rocky (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $22.99

Isle Of Dogs (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Supertroopers 1 & 2 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $27.99

Deadpool 2: Super Duper Cut (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $34.99

Planet Of The Apes: 3 Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $39.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on April 17th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This outing we prescribe pills and laughs in year two of "Scrubs"...

"[Scrubs]: The Complete Second Season" was released on home video on November 15th, 2005.

It streeted against "Tru Calling: The Complete Second Season", "The Heavenly Kid" and "The Sound Of Music: 40th Anniversary Edition".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard slipcase, holding a three disc digipack (also embossed). There is a flap inside where inserts are usually kept, but it's an illusion, the flap is in fact printed on. The mock flap list disc content and extras, but no air dates. It came with two small inserts. A booklet for showcasing various Buena Vista Home Entertainment TV shows on DVD (ten series shown - various seasons). And a contest form; win the (then) complete Buena Vista television DVD library collection ("BVHE TV-On-DVD Sweepstakes"; twenty-five box sets). Contest ran from November 23rd, 2004 to March 31st, 2006; never entered, I still have my form.

- - -

As with season one, Best Buy offered the sole exclusive, a bonus disc; set sold for $29.99.

The extra DVD came in a printed sleeve, shrink wrapped on the box's rear - the sleeve's rear mimics the slipcase's back.

I'm puzzled too - the image distortion on Zach Braff head. Why was that image used? *shrugs*

The exclusives are presented in full screen and has a run time of 20:53 minutes. Bought this on release day.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

I should - this entry is super short.

Lots of things pop in my head, usually when I'm in the bathroom - solitude. I don't read in there, I think. What came out? The movie "Logan's Run" (1976).

Some trivia; some good, some curious and some bad.

When Logan 5 (Michael York) and Jessica 6 (Jenny Agutter) are inside Cathedral, searching for Sanctuary - they find a Runner; her crystal already flashing red (dressed in red).

She pleas to the Sandman not to be snuffed, he obliges and gives her a smoke bomb. After they leave she is quickly killed by Francis 7 (Richard Jordan) who is in pursuit of Logan.

The thirty year old woman was played by Lara Lindsay, she was film producer Saul David's secretary. She also had a second, important role. Lindsay is the voice of the computer that ran the City Of Domes. *click click*

This is something that has bugged me through out the years - the ending.

Once Logan and Francis have it out, the domes are in disarray; explosions, smoke and bricked city computer. Before this happened Logan and Jessica, tell the Old Man (Peter Ustinov) to say at the water center, they'll be back. The two had a hell of a hard time getting out and back into the domes - not an easy job.

But once the damage is done, a crowd of people find the water center with very little aid and meet the elder fellow. How did they do that? Was there an easier way out? A plot hole? That was never explained or even shown.

They just show up in mass, bothered by that. Yes, I'm that anal.

Now for the bad, real bad. First lets cover this - the special edition laser disc, "Logan's Run: Widescreen Collector's Edition".

I own this, bought (ordered) through Laser Craze, an LD store/mail order shop. It retailed for $69.98, but I paid less. This two disc set (sides 1 and 2 in CLV; sides 3 and 4 in CAV) streeted on October 3rd, 1997 from MGM/UA Home Video.

The important stuff, the content...

Extras:

* Gate-fold (LD inner jacket) essay from author William F. Nolan
    * Screen specific audio commentary by director Michael Anderson, costume designer Bill Thomas and star Michael York
    * "A Look Into The 23rd Century", vintage featurette (full screen, nine minutes)
    * Excerpt from "M.G.M. International Conference - The Lion Roars Again" (1975) involving the production (full screen, five minutes)
    * Script excerpts of deleted scenes
    * Complete 1976 article from American Cinematographer magazine touting the production
    * Gallery: Production photos
    * Gallery: Costume design sketches
    * Gallery: Props
    * Gallery: Promotional materials
    * Theatrical teaser and trailer

- - -

Audio:

* Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
    * AC-3

If you own the DVD(s) and/or Blu-Ray, you'll notice you're missing out; both newer formats have the same water down extras...

* Screen specific audio commentary by director Michael Anderson, costume designer Bill Thomas and star Michael York
    * "A Look Into The 23rd Century", a vintage nine minute featurette
    * Theatrical trailer

The first DVD (left to right) came out in 1998 (anamorphic widescreen) in regular case along with an eight page booklet (production notes) for $24.95. The re-release surfaced two years later now as a flipper (double sided), widescreen and full screen inside a cardboard snapper case (no booklet, the inside flap holds the chapter listings) for $19.95. The last reissue was in 2007 back in a regular case; the exact same disc as the last one (also missing the booklet) for $14.98.

The sad thing is... ALL of this is the same piss poor transfer (on DVD - as you can see from the stills), I wouldn't be surprised if the laser disc has a better picture. The movie was (somewhat) tinkered with for Blu-Ray in 2009 (wouldn't call it a remastering). This better version has not been issued on DVD, that's fracked up. It's a sci-fi classic and deserves better than what it continues to receive.

Man, those LD galleries had well over a hundred stills - lost to format change. Also that DVD booklet had an introduction essay by the director. Hey, why is the teaser absent? That makes no sense.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Two of the girls from "Logan's Run", Jenny Agutter and Farrah Fawcett-Majors (left to right). I'll give props, in her prime Farrah was an attractive lady, not super hot, but attractive. Myself? I was more into Agutter. Lots of boys and young men had a thing for her after the movie came out, sway.

There you go.

Well no.

The movie was turned into a short lived series of the same name - on DVD too (Warner Home Video; April 10th, 2012 for $39.98).

Series premiered on September 16th, 1977 on CBS. It was boarder line cheesy/campy, though one, the time travel episode stands out. We learn what caused the global war, nice twist ending.

Pretty much the same plot as the film until Logan 5 (Gregory Harrison) and Jessica 7 (Heather Menzies) get outside. There's a whole world to explore - to find Sanctuary. They quickly gain a third for their quest, REM (Donold Moffoat) an android (a.k.a. tech support).

Back at the City Of Domes, Francis 6 (Randy Powell) is order to appear before the computer and then ordered to another room, a hidden area. He stands before the council of Elders, the true power behind their protective civilization and given a task. Find the missing two, bring them back, discredit them (stop others from running) and be given a council seat; live beyond thirty years. He agrees.

That's the show - each week our gang finds a new mini town or such and get into trouble trying to find that mythical site, Sanctuary. And they ride around in a bulky solar powered hover craft - that looked so impractical and hot, no air condition.

The pilot was written by William F. Nolan and Saul David. Thirteen episodes were produced, but only ten aired. Sorry, I would include the series DVD cover, there's a limit of ten pixs per-post and I'm at ten. And this does not warrant a two part entry.

I've read that some folks have a problem with the set-up. I don't. The council of Elders makes perfect sense. The computer was a front for them to keep society functioning. Under that system, there is nobody to argue with. The computer becomes a virtual deity. Who's want to argue with God?

It feels right; somebody has to make the day to day decisions and have the infrastructures kept. There is no conflict, it's pretty logical.

Anyhow, I'll tell you want I want to see - the production artwork from the aborted Bryan Singer remake. He was going to make "Logan's Run" after he completed "Superman Returns" (2006), a lot was done before the plug was pulled. What was it going to look like?

Okay then. Sorry about this being late. Was caught up with Black Friday and Thankgiving. The next PT won't get all shiny from fish, plankton, sea greens and protein from the sea on December 6th. Come for the last Past Tenses of 2018.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-06-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - November 25th, 2018

Now You See Me (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $10.99

La La Land (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $16.99

Gods Of Egypt (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/3D BD/DVD $16.99

Wonder Woman (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $24.99

The Matrix (available now)

The Matrix: Reloaded (available now)

The Matrix: Revolutions (available now)

Justice League (available now)

John Wick/John Wick 2 set (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $32.99

Credits
    Target - December 4th, 2018

Westworld: Season Two
    Exclusive packaging and bonus disc (format unknown); BD only $36.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 12/7

"Mary Poppins Returns - Soundtrack" with exclusive lithgraph cards $11.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Neither Plastic, Nor Pal Or Fun To Be With Part I

So let me get this straight - these chrome guys... don't make toast? Man, I feel cheated on "Battlestar Galactica"...

"Battlestar Galactica: Season 2.5" was released on home video on September 19th, 2006.

It streeted against "Chucky: The Killer DVD Collection", "Inner Sanctum Mysteries: The Complete Movie Collection" and "Roar: The Complete Series".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcase holding three slim cases for each of the discs. It came with two inserts. 1) Folded insert, ads for season three of BSG, "Battlestar Galactica: The Official Companion - Season Two" book, "Battlestar Galactica: The Official Magazine", soundtracks for seasons one and two as well as the original miniseries. The rear offered a coupon for five dollars off "Surface: The Complete Series" (DVD). This expired on January 31st, 2007. I never used mine. 2) A promo card (Lee Adama) for "Battlestar Galactica: Collectible Card Game". I have mine still sealed in wrapper (transparent sheath).

- - -

On street, Best Buy offered the sole exclusive - bonus disc. This set sold for $34.99. The DVD came in a CD envelope inside the slipcase. A minimum of ten copies per stores. Sorry, no screen shot; there's no menu, it just plays.

The sticker on the front reads: "Include bonus episode, Battlestar Galactica: The Journey Home".

The title on the bonus program is "Battlestar Galactica: The Story So Far"; a recap of the events leading to debut of season three (October 6th, 2006). This aired on not on the Sci-Fi Channel, but their affiliate NBC on August 16th, 2006.

The exclusive has a run time of 43:34 minutes, presented in anamorphic widescreen with no chapters.

Bought my copy on release day along with "Roar" (decent show). Looking at the new release isle, I noticed that one of the copies of "Roar" had a white corner poking out of the side of its slim cases - a CD envelope? Got curious and bought that. Once in the car, examined if I need to make an exchange over scratched discs; discovered "Roar" did have that same bonus disc as BSG 2.5.

My guess is that there was a factory mix up and mispackaged; both titles were released by Universal Studios Home Entertainment. I ended up selling that extra exclusive disc on Ebay for $14.00, sway.

Anyhow, this series was my first experience of a show breaking up their season's home video release into two parts. A trend that continues to this day. Call it what it is, greed.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

No excuses.

This next was written to be filler for a short Past Tense entry - which is what we have here. I think it's entertaining and informative so that counts for something.

Normally I write these Voids as I'm composing/fleshing out that particular PT. This was the first I wrote ahead of time; for storage, use at a later date.

The topic?

Public service for Disney's "The Black Hole" (1979) on DVD... and beyond (as usual). Japanese poster above, way cooler than the domestic one.

My advice - don't bother buying the first outing, you'll be disappointed.

Taking a step back.

On August 3rd, 2004 Buena Vista Home Entertainment released the film for $19.98 (still available). This presented the movie (anamorphic widescreen) with the original opening overture. Extras include the trailer and a too short making-of featurette, "Through The Black Hole" which runs 16:29 minutes (wanted more). I own this title, bought when it came out. Came with an insert, chapter listings; the other side, ads for "The Watcher In The Woods" (1980), "Tron: 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (1983).

Some years ago discover that there was an earlier DVD with a gallery - bonus didn't carry over, I'm intrigued. And would be looking off and on over the next few years for a deal on that iteration.

Then I lucked out; found at a price I was willing to bite. Man, I'm so glad I didn't pay too much.

Wait.

What frack!?!

The cover on the Disney DVD makes zero sense; none of that happens in the film.

The ship - U.S.S. Cygnus does not at any time appear in Earth orbit. Nor does a black hole appear in the vicinity of our planet. Dude, who thought that was a good idea? Talk about false advertising. *shake head*

And why did they Photoshop a giant gaping anus as the hole? Don't give me that look. Man, that would be funny if they did (Katja Kassin smirks), the Cygnus does look phallic.

On March 30th, 1999, Anchor Bay Home Entertainment released the film for the first time on DVD (out of print). It sold for $24.98. This was a double side disc (inside a red case), full screen and letterbox. It came with an insert, the chapter listing. This like the disc was double sided as well. The full screen listing is one chapter short, letterbox has the opening overture. The other extras were the trailer and the mentioned gallery (same on both sides). Oh and the movie auto plays; not fan of that.

This gallery is crap on a cracker. It runs fifty-one images. All of them highly feathered and presented tiny. Then it gets worse.

These pictures are poor scans from lobby cards AND magazine articles. You can see the text on the pixs - I kid you not. I recognize some of these images from old Starlog magazines. This was a waste of money. Greenbacks that could've been used on porn. Yeah, I buy pornos - I'm a collector.

Anchor Bay did re-release the title, minus full screen - anamorphic widescreen only on July 23rd, 2002 for the same price, also out of print. This has the same extras.

I was very disappointed. The featurette on the Disney DVD has various stills that really wet my appetite. It's not like I had high expectations, I just wanted some good pixs, not the case.

Trust me folks, stick with the Buena Vista release, you'll be grateful. Though I will give credit, Anchor Bay has the swifter cover, the movie's poster (modified).

There is another reason why to skip Anchor Bay's DVD - well, the 1999 release. It was recalled.

The Dolby 5.1 mix is defective. Many audio enthusiasts were pissed.

Sure, why not? I'm talking about releases.

I'm unable to pinpoint the exact date. Release in 1982 from Walt Disney Home Video was the feature on laser disc (11AS). The single disc, double sided LD was in CLV and in full screen.

It sold for $34.95 with no chapters. In fact the time counter was only encoded in minutes without seconds. Even though this was pan to scan, the video still looked squeezed. Plus the audio spikes in volume, high and low.

This was one of Disney's first laser disc releases; first pass had ten titles...

Others included "The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh" (1977), "The Love Bug" (1968), "Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck Cartoons Collection One", "Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck Cartoons Collection Two", "Escape To Witch Mountain" (1975), "The One And Only Genuine Original Family Band" (1968), "Pete's Dragon" (1977), "Dumbo" (1941) and "Davy Crockett And The River Pirates" (1956).

Above is one of the Japanese laser disc also from Walt Disney Home Video (SF088-0066). This one came out on July 21st, 1985 for 8800 JPY. Still in full screen (single disc, double sided), but it came with a chapter insert. This is two minutes shorter at ninety-five minutes, probably because it's missing the opening overture.

Why here?

That's a damn good cover (with O.B.I), that's why. It's beautiful.

There is another LD to mention...

In the Summer of 1996 it was reported that Disney Home Video was planing to release another Exclusive Archive Collection laser disc box set. The same treatment they did for "Tron" ([1982] three discs). "The Black Hole" was to have a brand new digital remastering, picture and sound (AC-3) and presented in CAV. The second analog channel would have the isolated musical score.

Discs one and two would be the film. The third disc would be the supplemental material. This was to include two deleted scenes; the alternate ending; a documentary on the making with 1979 interviews with Anthony Perkins, Maximilian Schell, Ernest Borgnine, Yvette Mimieux and director Gary Nelson; storyboards and conceptual drawings; publicity and promotional materials; merchandise; articles surrounding the controversy of Disney's very first PG rated feature and the theatrical teaser and trailer. As with "Tron", it would've been priced at $99.95. It had a Christmas release date, that never happened. I wonder if they did produce it, but got pulled before public release.

Since mentioned a moment ago, here's the laser disc box set cover.

Credits
    Past Tense - Neither Plastic, Nor Pal Or Fun To Be With Part II

I'll begin with a quote from ThusSpakeSpymunk:

The black hole was Hell. There was no question to me that the ship was Purgatory, that Maximillion was the silent Lucifer, and Reinhardt was Faust.
    Yes, according to the director Gary Nelson; Dr. Hans Reinhardt (Maximilian Schell) is in Hell at the conclusion. The corridor, the probe ship goes through was indeed heaven, coming out on the other side. More on this later.

The are two related quotes that pop to mind.

Lieutenant Charlie Pizar: "Every time I see one of those things [black holes], I expect to spot some guy in red with horns and a pitch fork."

And later...

Dr. Reinhardt: "Life? Life forever." [a conversation about going into the black hole]

- - -

Movie is far from perfect, it's kinda retarded, but I still like it - memories from my youth. It's unfortunate "Hole" never quite rose to it's full potential. Gothic, much like "Event Horizon" (1997). This could have been such a classic instead of a friggin' kid's flick.

Can understand some of the hate. A huge focus on V.I.N.Cent (Vital Information Necessary Centralized; voiced by Roddy McDowall), Disney's wannabe of R2-D2. Yes, the bot is a rip-off, no argument there. But it's a solid design. It feels functional, not so much tailored for merchandise, I like it. As much as some bitch it, it could have been so far worse - I've seen it. *shutters*

A better target of moaning is the design for the U.S.S. Palomino. Did the designers spend so much effort with the Cygnus that they run out of time for the hero's ship? One of the production design staff was taking a break from not hitting a solution, goes outside to smoking a cigarette - sees a water tower in the distance and thought, 'good enough'. But I guess, it could've been far worse.

One of the early production artwork - that rightly so was rejected. Oh man, that's crap on a cracker by Robert McCall. The one on the right is by Peter Ellenshaw, the design used... a water tower.

Some of the other problems I have...

The music is great, the right amount of awe and dread. The opening theme is fantastic (have as a midi), wondrous John Berry. But when things turn action, such as rescuing Dr. Kate McCrea (Yvette Mimieux) from reprogramming, the hero music is incredibly cartoony, out of place. As if that cue was made for another production, maybe something for TV, a cop show. It stops the film for me. That and V.I.N.Cent doing a barrel roll. It was cute the first time when they were in the elevator with Maximilian, but it's over used.

Okay, not gonna get into the scientific inaccuracies, there's lots of them. And plot holes, many. A super important one was why didn't Kate recognize the Cygnus (the ship her father served on). Even if she was a little girl at the time of it's launch, she should've known what it looked like. In the film she's going through craft identifications, trying to find a match. She should've known right from the start - Cygnus.

Can't explain, just blame the chemistry.
    - Client

Why is there an atmosphere outside the Cygnus once our gang tries to board the probe ship towards the end? They should all be dead - minus V.I.N.Cent. Right?

A logical answer - this one at least. The answer is gravity. The ship generates a massive amount of it to keep from getting sucked into said title hole. The escaped air was still there, now outside. I would imagine the air is thinner since the oxygen is spread out around the ship. But they did have a huge decompression, so a lot of it was released. And as seen, there is a lot of wind, meaning one of the decompression holes was near the probe pad.

Don't get me started with the rolling meteor, though it did look super cool.

The characters were pretty bland, in particular Dr. Alex Durant (Anthony Perkins). Durant had as much life as Matthew Broderick's character, Dr. Niko Tatopoulos from that disastrous reimagined "Godzilla" (1998). Man, you could've taken a cardboard cut out of Broderick with a paper puppet mouth and get more of a preference - the same here.

The film starts off with a mystery that's resolved way too soon. They should've milked it for every drop it, they didn't.

A squandered subplot is S.T.A.R. (Special Troops Arms Regiment). The robot was their best soldier and sharpshooter, it was Maximilian predecessor. When the Palomino crew was pinned down by laser fire from the mechanized security force, we should've seen S.T.A.R. in full glory. The heroes are able to destroy the soldiers, minus one. From that moment on they're being chased by the S.T.A.R.; think of the Gunslinger from "Westworld" (1973).

What happens? S.T.A.R. gets killed in the middle of the film. What the frack? They build this foe up who is completely flaccid to the story.

Yes. I know this is a kids' movie and made by Disney, but that should have been way better.

The effects range from yeah - ok to woh. The other thing that bothers me is that V.I.N.Cent spout out quotations all the time. I rather have it talk from the gut or as it be, circuit - less quotes.

Another missed opportunity was getting to see Reinhardt's sadism. Let's be honest here, the man is a monster.

The ending as most film buffs know was very watered down, too religious. The original closure followed the shot (in the movie) of Kate's eye close up. The image changes to another eye, the eye of God from the Sistine Chapel, ceiling painting. The camera pulls out to the reveal and shows Kate looking up at it. She turns and departures the huge room. The End. What happened to the rest of her crew??? Did the other survive the transition? Don't know. What CAN I tell you?

As mention earlier, Reinhardt ends in Hell. If you look closely (DVD zoom feature if you have it), as the camera pans away from Maximilian on the mount, down a chasm, you will see people moving. They're dress in a similar clothes as the Cygnus drones. Not exact, their face plate is not a mirror, they're skulls. The crew of the damned. I been wondering; are they walking with a purpose? They seem to be heading in a direction - up the mount to Reinhardt?

A disturbing theory (never confirmed) to explain why when the **** hit the fan, the doctor crept back, grabbed Kate and whispered "Protect me from Maximilian". Everyone on the Cygnus is single task oriented except for... Max. The doctor needed an assistant with greater abilities than any retooled crew members, a machine. But such an automation would be difficult to create, A.I. wise. He may have tried with S.T.A.R and was disappointed. So Reinhardt became naughty and/or vindictive.

A quick backtrack. Kate and her dad, Dr. Frank McCrae were part of the ESP project, long distance communication. In the film, it is shown that a synthetic, digital ESP had been developed. Kate's contact with V.I.N.Cent during its space walk/ship repair. This can also be seen as Reinhardt talks to Maximilian, there is obviously a two way conversation going on, we're privy to one side only. Max has no display screen like V.I.N.Cent or Old Bob. It's ESP.

Some of what the doctor told his visitors was true, there was a mutiny onboard. The revolt was lead by McCrae. The crew lost to the machines, I like to think of the fight sequence from "I, Robot" (2004). Reinhardt needed workers and converted the survivors. That must've been hell, watching your crew mates getting lobotomized and YOU being prepared for your rape. I imagine lots and lots of screaming. As I wrote, he's more than a monster.

Credits
    Past Tense - Neither Plastic, Nor Pal Or Fun To Be With Part III

Something else not stated. How long did Reinhardt keep the captured crew before re-educating them? You know the doctor had help, the ship is HUGE. Those who sided with him either understood their folly later and tried to stop him or was just screwed over and got defiled right at the start. 'If they betrayed them, then you'll betray me'.

Anyhow, he needed a special assistant. The doctor inserted McCrae mind (could've been a biological transplant) into Max. A crippled conscience, like the workers - do his bidding. A twisted joke. This is what Old Bob meant when it said Reinhardt killed Kate's father. McCrae is dead, just a shell remains.

But there is an echo. Reinhardt has to repeat his orders to Maximilian. The large machine is trying to resist obeying, perceivable hatred.

Karma was making a visit. This goes further as the metaphor near the end, Max trapping Reinhardt in his shell just as the doctor once did to him.

Another interesting theory is that Maximilian is Reinhardt's id personified. He was made to task the doctor's every whim. As written above, the ESP connection - Maximilian is getting two commands from his creator; the one spoken directly to it and a second sent from Reinhardt's own subconscious; violent - demands instant gratification and an audience, this is Maximilian. The doctor had to repeat his commands to mental giant to override his own secret primal desires.

The words spoken to Kate was him realizing that his subconscious was now in charge (for that moment), he is no longer the master of the Cygnus.

The ESP thing?

B.O.B. (Bio-sanitation Battalion; voiced by Slim Pickens) and his models were created specifically for "Project Black Hole". Since radio signals near a black hole's event horizon would render communication null (immense gravity). The idea was to use ESP for instantaneous communication. It does work, yes. But NOT over great distances. Project Black Hole proved to be a big failure - it's intended use. But its practical application continues on in droids like V.I.N.CENT (a later model of B.O.B.).

The novelization by Alan Dean Foster from Del Rey ($1.95); Kate has an implant in her head that allows for sixth-sense communication with anyone or any machine (within rage) with similar WiFi.

After I finished the book I made a list of 75 changes that I felt could be made to the picture in post-production to improve it and turned it in to my contact at Disney. Nothing was heard.

Years later I ran into the same guy and said, "I guess no one at the studio ever saw my suggestions." "Oh no," he replied. "They had a meeting about it. There was a lot of anger expressed". I was hardly surprised. How dare some cheap-ass novelizer make suggestions about their big-budget extravaganza!
    - Foster

The novel's ending was quite different, once in Reinhardt's probe ship - as in the movie, the shuttle is programmed to enter the black hole. The journey there turns into an LSD trip, everyone inside merged into a single entity/person/thing. The End.

I don't own the book, but I'm curious.

The final film is a flawed masterpiece and still talked about nearly thirty-five years later. That's quite a wonderment. As I wrote, this could've been so much more. Big/great ideas that were not properly executed.

- - -

Man, the DVD re-release is a shadow of what it could've been. In the Summer of 1996 it was reported that Disney Home Video was planing to release another "Exclusive Archive Collection" laser disc box set. The same huge treatment it did for "Tron" (1982) (three CAV discs; December 22nd, 1995; $99.99).

"The Black Hole" was to have a brand new digital remastering, picture and sound (AC-3) and presented in CAV. The second analog channel would have the isolated musical score. Discs one and two would be the film.

The third disc would be the supplemental material. It was to have two deleted scenes; the alternate ending; a documentary on the making with 1979 interviews with Anthony Perkins, Maximilian Schell, Ernest Borgnine, Yvette Mimieux and director Gary Nelson; storyboards and conceptual drawings; publicity and promotional materials; merchandise; articles surrounding the controversy of Disney's very first PG rated feature and the theatrical teaser and trailer. As with "Tron", it would've been priced at $99.95. It had a Christmas release date, that never happened. Man, how far did they get?

This isn't BS, it was reported.

- - -

Bits.

The exposed Cygnus crew man/drone by Dr. Durant is none other than the director Gary Nelson. The eyes!

The monitor that falls on Reinhardt in the control room towards the end was a huge flat screen. LED or plasma?

Actress Jennifer O'Neill was cast as Dr. Kate McCrae, but got replaced by Yvette Mimieux. I wonder what happened?

I know why it was done, but actress Mimieux would've look far nicer with non-curly hair, more feminine. The decision was made for practical reasons, so that they didn't have to worry about her locks when they simulated zero gravity.

This was Disney's first rated PG movie and the first to have an all digital recorded film score.

The character of Harry Booth (Ernest Borgnine) is a journalist, that wasn't never stated in the film. Which explains why he was so bad at piloting the ship.

Something else that wasn't properly explained, the U.S.S. Palomino has two levels which are similar. When the Cygnus is detected by ship sensors, the crew is looking at the unknown craft from different rooms. Poor editing made it look like the crew were all in the same cabin. I didn't get that until recently.

Back in the day, I owned "The Black Hole" Colorform play set, bought from Thrifty (the Wal-Mart of its day). Just Google Colorform, not going to explain. And yes, it was just as lame you think it was.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

This is something you should know - if you don't already.

The extras on the Season One "Battlestar Galactica" isn't complete. While it does have the mini-series and its commentary, it fails to carry over two relevant bonus features. If you want the full picture you'll need to keep the miniseries DVD.

Excluded:

* "Battlestar Galactica: The Lowdown" (letterbox, 41:40 minutes; aired on Sci-Fi Channel on November 26th, 2003)
    * Deleted scenes (miniseries; letterbox)

This is something that is a mystery to me.

The miniseries' release has two DVD versions, same content. The common, double sided, singe disc and a two disc version. When I learned about the missing extras, I pursued the miniseries. I ran into the two disc set. The copy I found was damaged. I ended up finding a someone who sold me the single disc, mint off Amazon.

The two disc edition is a riddle. I don't know where it came from or even if it was some kind of exclusive. *shrugs* It's out there.

- - -

I miss this.

What sucks is there was an option on the table that got rejected, not a reboot, but a prequel series; "Battlestar Galactica: Blood And Chrome" (2012). A young Bill Adama (Luke Pasqualino), rookie pilot on the new Galactica fighting in the previous Cyclon War. But there were politics involved, SyFy didn't feel like it and was gonna bury it. Producers went behind their backs and cut a trailer and showed it at 2012 "ComicCon" to rave anticipation forcing the SyFy channel to push it on top for broadcast (not buried as ten webisodes as intended); airing February 10th, 2013.

They were ticked off and the project died. Too bad, there is much potential here - even tying B&C with the other Galactica series, "Caprica" (which should've lasted at least one more season, the finale was outstanding).

So that's it. Certainly turned into a long winded entry. Come back here on December 27th, '18 for the last Past Tense of 2018, about a fellow who had stars in his eyes - much less about his wife and kids.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 12-16-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Credits
    Target - December 9th, 2018

Stranger Things: Season 2 (available now)
    Exclusive VHS packaging with photo set; BD/DVD combo $17.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

Vinyl available now

"Christina Agulilera - Liberation" exclusive color vinyl record $19.99
    "Khalid - American Teen" exclusive color vinyl record $20.99
    "Bob Marley - Legend" exclusive color record $24.99
    "Guardians Of The Galaxy - Deluxe Soundtrack" exclusive color record $29.99
    "Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction" exclusive color record $29.99

CDs available now

"Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty" with exclusive photo book $14.99
    "A Star Is Born" soundtrack with exclusive poster $11.99
    "Tony Bennett And Diane Krall - Love Is Here" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99
    "Mumford & Sons - Delta" with three exclusive bonus tracks $12.99
    "Imagine Dragons - Origins" with three exclusive tracks $13.99
    "Pentatonix - Christmas Is Here" with exclusive poster $10.99
    "Ella Mai" with exclusive song $9.99

Credits
    Best Buy - December 11th, 2018

Equalizer 2
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Credits
    Target - December 18th, 2018

Venom
    Exclusive photo book packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99