The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo only $24.99

Free Minon socks with select titles

- - - - - - - - -

CD available March 25th, 2016

"K. Michelle - More Issues Than Vogue" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on March 22nd, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we travel to a distant world and find persecution on "Planet 51"...

The CGI film opened on November 20th, 2009. It was made with a budget of $70,000,000 (estimated) and grossed slightly over 42 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts (well over twice its domestic gross). The film opened number five at the box office, the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "The Fourth Kind", "2012", "Precious", "The Blind Side" and "The Twilight Saga: New Moon".

This release originally came with an advertisement booklet (two pages). Ads for Planet Orange (online site where kids learn the value of money), an ad for the "Planet 51" online game, ShareBuilder (online investing) - $51.00 if you open a 'Custodial Account' (minimum $50.00 deposit required; offer expired December 31st, 2010) and SonyWonder, various deals from Sony partners.

The movie came in a white DVD case.

- - -

Single exclusive was from Wal-Mart; fabric (reusable) lunch bag; made of the same material as water resistant jackets. It came in a large gift set box. The DVD is side packed inside. The set streeted March 9th, 2010 and sold for $17.86.

Haven't taken out mine (bag), still there inside the box. Checked their website, that exclusive is no longer available.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

As you read above, it didn't do well at the box office. I hope more people will see on home video. It this a good movie? *thinking* It's okay.

Gets the job done with predictable results, not a bad thing.

It's obvious - filmmakers paid homage to various sci-fi cinema staples of the 1950s, paranoia being the biggest one.

One of my favorites is the one eyed fishes which resembled the Martian war machines from "War Of The Worlds" (1953; Lem's bedroom).

The military alien artifact room has the objects enclosed in what looks like the eggs aboard the derelict in "Alien" (1979). One of the items is a Discovery pod from "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968). The list goes on and on (too bad there isn't a commentary).

The other is the lush, outside the box constructs. Love this film, not so much for the movie, but the designs. *nods*

A world with a dominate shape, the circle - be it sphere or saucer. It speaks to my inner architect. A place I would like to visit and touch. From the layout of the cars and houses to the everyday mundane furniture and devices (their TVs for one).

It's a damn eye candy feast.

Had an architectural boner looking at this kid's flick. Yeah, I know what I wrote - sticking with it.

The alien world is their version of the 1950s.

Above are pixs from Lem's bedroom (main alien character). That's a dresser in the foreground with the fish bowl. Those drawers are not practical, loose a lot of usable space with such a narrow opening, the bottom one in particular. But I would love to own one of these things in real life as a conversation piece.

In the background of both, you can also see a second dresser with a record player. In the second image, you can see their spherical television. I can see that working (wired remote). Somewhat oval (screen) black and white TVs were one of the first televisions produced. I recall one of my family friends had a 1950s TV, it still operated! Don't know about now. He died some years back. I can imagine his family trashing the antique. The thing was huge, blocky and heavy.

Those cabinets are cool, simple and functional; twist the handle to open the latch. What caught my attention the first time I saw it (on DVD, not in the theaters) were those window blind. The circular window has blinds which open and close by rotation. So frackin' awesome - makes perfect sense.

You would need that kind of contraption unless you wanted traditional drapes. I suppose it could've been motorized, but it feel right to be a lever, you rotate.

Plus the fact that the window opens into two halfs. The blinds can be closed to cover one half and still have the other half, an open window. Pretty impressive.

Liked the barbecue grill and patio table as seen in the movie poster on top. Very sway.

- - -

It's like the feeling at the end of a page when you realize, you don't know what you just read.
    Missing Persons

This needs to be addressed.

The world presented here is in fact while from our eyes, quite retro in appearance and culturally, but are more technologically advance. Why haven't they left their planet?

Surely they could if they wanted to - master space travel.

I give two possible answers...

1) Good enough is 'good enough'. Perhaps the people are satisfied with their place. No need to explore. That spark/desire is only in a few of them, like Lem (voiced by Justin Long) and his friends; they represent a minority. And such an endeavor would cost billions to bring into existence.

The old adage; 'necessity is the mother of invention' - not enough interest to actually push development into space exploration.

2) The government knows; that's part of the movie. They have various artifacts from around the galaxy. Alien life is not speculative, fact. They are not ready to engage in a possible conflict. Keeping the existence of extraterrestrial life a secret. Fearing that such contact would tip the balance of power away from their leaders.

Both reasons are valid and perhaps, it's a mix of both.

Either way, probably why they haven't left their own planet.

- - -

I only had one issue with the movie. Our representative, U.S. astronaut Captain Charles "Chuck" Baker (voiced by Dwayne Johnson). The term 'ugly American' came to mind. He's an arrogant jerk, at first. While true he gains some humility by the end, it kinda bugged me.

Okay, tangent - many found the mockumentary "Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" (2006) funny. I did not. I watched it at a friend's home with a mutual pal. They were laughing, I got angry. Dead serious expression, It pissed me off!

"Planet 51" took that mentality ('better than you') to a distant world.

Something I just noticed. Above is the cast promo pix. The exclusive lunch bag uses that very pix, but it removes General Grawl (voiced by Gary Oldman).

What I found cute and kinda funny was turning such an iconic and terrifying creature, H.R. Giger's Alien into something very kid friendly - neighbor's dog (its tongue within a tongue was nice touch). Though the fact that it pissed acid is very unpractical.

Why would you want to own such a critter that could/will cause property damage, your own and others?

While interesting to see, it's a logic hole.

As for Rover, the... rover. I was okay with it having canine qualities. It is a children's film after all. And it is what it is. At least its movement were reality based; motors, gears and springs.

Oh god, that's H.R. Giger - he's looking at you, looking at him from beyond the grave. Don't stare, look away! 'Do you like gladiator movies?'

- - -

Being what it is - a kids movie, I like it. Enough bits and moments for adults to enjoy/smile. The animated people were a bit cartoony, but that works well for the story they're telling.

One of my favorite moment is towards the end.

Our main alien characters are in space over their planet in Chuck's ship. That had such a magic feel - wonderment. Their species have yet to master even basic space flight. This is the first time any of them have seen their world from orbit.

Wonder and awe. Well done.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Produced in Spain, their most expensive movie at the time. The film's original title was "Planet One".

There's a company named Planet One which produces kids and teen TV shows, they would not allow them to use the name.

Oh yeah, there are stingers during the end credits...

Professor Kipple (voiced by John Cleese) survives the detonation of Base 9 and is grabbed by lobotomized soldiers, Vesklin and Vernkot (Mathew Horne and James Corden) who want to do the same to him as Kipple did to them (one of them has a bone saw). Which was a surprise and dark, that was nice.

Over the planet in the command module, Chuck finds the alien dog onboard his craft for the voyage home. Wouldn't that kill them both - a hull breach (when he takes a leak)? Or worse yet, acid in zero gravity. Either way it ends quite badly.

Come back here on March 31st, 2016 for a global disaster, which contrary to what you might think; the ending leads them not into hope but much, much darker days. See you then!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-28-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Credits
    Target - March 29th, 2016

The Hateful Eight
    Exclusive lenticular slipcover and bonus content (on Blu); BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

Credits
    Best Buy - March 29th, 2016

The Hateful Eight
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $24.99

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo only $27.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Black Stone Cherry - Kentucky" with exclusive bonus DVD and alternate artwork $11.99 (available 4/01/16)

"K. Michelle - More Issues Than Vogue" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99 (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on March 29th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we invest in flood and earthquake insurance with "The Day After Tomorrow"...

The motion picture opened on May 28th, 2004. It was made with a budget of $125,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $186 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "Van Helsing", "Mean Girls", "Troy", "Shrek 2" and "Soul Plane".

This release originally came with a lenticular cardboard slipcover, slightly different from the case's wraparound (cover image on the right). There were inserts. 1) Chapter listing, the other side, variant artwork of the Statue Of Liberty getting hit with a wave.

It also came with an advertisement booklet; mail order certificate - $5.00 off when you buy any two titles offered, $10.00 if you purchase any three. You needed to have two or more of these DVD with sale receipt dated between August 24th, 2004 - April 30th, 2005. Plus you had to cut out the proof-of-purchase tabs and send it all together or the rebate. The offer expired on April 30th, 2005. Yes, you read right, the run time of the offer ends on the same day as the certificate. I guess if you mailed it to them early in the morning with same day shipping it could get there in time, but that seems too costly and defeat the purpose.

The 20th Century Fox titles were "The Girl Next Door" (2004), "Dodge Ball" (2004), "The Day After Tomorrow", "Man On Fire" (2004), "24: Season Three", "I, Robot" (2004), "Alien Vs. Predator" (2004) and "Daredevil: Director's Cut". It also advertised four other additional titles.

- - -

There was one exclusive, a bonus disc from Best Buy.

Sorry, no screen snap - no menu screen, though there should be (has eight elements) - it just plays.

The set streeted on October 12th, 2004 for $15.99. The bonus came in a CD envelope. The shorts are presented in non-anamorphic widescreen with a run time of 13:13 minutes.

These elements/pieces include: behind-the-scenes featurette on the 'Ice Shelf' (creating the opening scene); First Look episode for "i, Robot"; theatrical trailer for "Alien Vs. Predator"; sneak peeks for "Man On Fire", "i, Robot", "Alien Vs. Predator", "Alien Quadrilogy" (home video compendium) and "Predator" (1987).

This is also one of my early exclusives, but I missed out when it first came out. I bought mine (movie) from Wal-Mart. A couple weeks later I found out and rebought - in store, sold the extra copy on Ebay.

I'm lucky. For this offer Best Buy had 175 copies per store as advertised. Sorry, I don't have an image of the ad, predates my archive.

Anyhow, this doesn't happen anymore. Most times exclusives are limited to less than 30, a lot of the time - 8 copies per store... or less.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

This was released as full screen and widescreen DVDs.

This was the second time it happened; somewhat common now, a televised preview. Fox ran an exclusive ten minute clip right before "American Idol" on May 12th, 2004.

What was that footage?

Don't know, passed on it - wanted to see it at the theater, which I did on opening day. The first preview belongs remake of "Dawn Of The Dead" (2004), a previous Past Tense (Part I and Part II).

This was the first feature I saw Emmy Rossum (Laura) in. She's quite pretty and so huggable. A great example of 'the girl next door'. You female buddy - and possibly more.

I like this quote from Ain't It Cool News contributor Moriarty speaking of the man, Roland Emmerich (director and co-writer)...

It's like the retarded guy working the fry machine at McDonald's. Nice guy. Always friendly and in a good mood. And he makes really tasty fries. I wouldn't let him land a plane or perform open-heart surgery on me, but as long as he's King Of The French Fries, he does it well.

So damn true. He knows how to make a disaster flick. We want to see massive destruction along with mass carnage - Emmerich delivered the goods.

As you can imagine, I enjoyed it; a good mix of action and excellent scenes of devastation. The only downside was the somewhat clichéd characters. He did a MUCH better job for "2012", I can truly call that epic.

Don't give me that look. It was an excellent popcorn flick.

- - -

Controversy.

The film is loosely based on the book "The Coming Global Superstorm" (2000) by radio personality, Art Bell and author Whitley Strieber. BUT...

Harvard professor, Ubaldo DiBenedetto claimed in a German lawsuit that Emmerich stolen his idea for the movie. The professor said he gave Emmerich his novel, "Polar Day 9" (written under the pseudonym Kyle Donner) to read in 1998. The screenplay is credited to Jeffrey Nachimanoff and Emmerich (with nods to Bell and Strieber).

Don't know if the suit was tossed out or if Fox settled. By the way, DiBenedetto wanted an unspecified amount for damages.

- - -

There are two (three if you count the full screen) editions of this movie. The second ('All-Access Collector's Edition') streeted as a two disc set on May 24th, 2005.

'Cause I'm anal...

The '05 re-release came with a non-embosed foil slipcover. Along with a theater voucher to see "Fantastic 4", a $7.50 value; expired on July 30th, 2005. As you can imagine, I still have mine inside the case. It also came with inserts. 1) A two page booklet for the movie with notes and chapter listing (32 chapters, same as the single disc). 2) An offer for $3.00 off one of the following; "I, Robot", "Man On Fire" or "The Day After Tomorrow". The back of the insert has a coupon with bar code, expired on November 30th, 2005 (one coupon per purchase). That booklet also highlight other studio DVDs.

Did the extras from first release carry over? Should I keep that single?

Ditch it. You get more/better bonus features.

All the extras, minus two didn't carry over. What were they?

The first was a lame ass bonus called "Inside Look". It's not even listed with the extras on the disc, it's on the main menu. It's a glorified teaser for "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" (2005). The second is for DVD-ROM; Windows (98SE or higher) based. Watch the movie on with the included player on your PC. There is a link for additional bonus features (the back says claims over an hour of exclusive 'making of' footage). I was hoping that there were videos I could watch with my various players (I'm a Mac). Nope - NONE.

All of this footage is streaming video.

What I ended up doing was selling off the single disc release; minus the exclusive disc. And moved 'All-Access' into a three disc case for all the DVDs. Sway.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

*deep sigh*

Lets talk about it - the ending.

It isn't hugs and giggles, things DO NOT go back to normal.

The human race got a major bitch slap. Much of the upper hemisphere is covered in ice. Lets not mince words, a few billion people died. Whole nations were wiped off the map. Yes, you have survivors, but ponder this... FOOD.

A huge section of the world's agriculture was taken away. How are you going to feed the remaining masses? Doesn't include shelter. Those lucky ones - who were on the edge of the frost are going to move further down, South America and Africa. While true, the ice will melt, eventually - this massive snow front will have an huge effect on global climates... colder. Sunlight being reflected off the surface, rather than absorbed.

This isn't a happy ending, the survivors will have such terrible hardships ahead. It will take a generation or more to bounce back.

I'm not even talking about political turmoil - warlords, tyrants and dictators will rise to power. Wars over limited resources. The movie ends with our gang getting picked up by what remains of the U.S. government. The future is so uncertain, many more will perish from harsh weather, starvation, sickness and/or hostilities.

We don't just hold hands and sing "Kumbaya". The human race will suffer huge blood losses in the weeks to come.

Not a happy ending.

- - - - - - - - - -

Notice.

This is the last weekly Past Tense. From this point forward I'm posting every other week. Don't fret, I have SO many posts to... post. Yeah, I need more words.

The next write up will surface on April 14th, 2016 on a far away air craft carrier in the stars.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-29-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Credits
    Target - April 5th, 2016

Star War: The Force Awakens
    Exclusive packaging and bonus content (internet based); BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Star War: The Force Awakens - Read-Along Storybook with CD
    Exclusive poster $7.99

Credits
    Best Buy - April 5th, 2016

Star War: The Force Awakens
    Exclusive steelbook with bonus disc (might be standard with BD release); BD/DVD combo $27.99

The Hateful Eight (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $24.99

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo only $27.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Rob Zombie - Well Everybody's..." single with exclusive tee and voucher for $2.00 off the later album $11.99 (available 4/8/16)

"Black Stone Cherry - Kentucky" with exclusive bonus DVD and alternate artwork $11.99 (available now)
    "K. Michelle - More Issues Than Vogue" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available now)

Credits
    My error, made a post too early.

Nothing to see, move along.

Credits
    Target - April 12th, 2016

Justice Leage: Teen Titans
    Exclusive steel book; BD/DVD/DC combo $16.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 04/15/16

"The Lumineers - Cleopatra" with 3 excluive bonus tracks $10.99

"Chris Lane - Fix" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $6.99

Credits
    Best Buy - April 12th, 2016

Justice Leage: Teen Titans
    Exclusive hardcover graphic novel and figurine; BD/DVD/DC $29.99

Star War: The Force Awakens (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook with bonus disc (might be standard with BD release); BD/DVD combo $27.99

Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Sixx: AM - Rise" store exclusive single with voucher for $2.00 off the later album $1.99 (available 04/15/16)

"Rob Zombie - Well Everybody's..." single with exclusive tee and voucher for $2.00 off the later album $11.99 (available now)
    "K. Michelle - More Issues Than Vogue" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - April 19th, 2016

IP Man: Trilogy
    Exclusive steel book; BD only $24.99

Star War: The Force Awakens (available now)

Justice Leage: Teen Titans (available now)
    Exclusive hardcover graphic novel and figurine; BD/DVD/DC $29.99

Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $29.99

- - - - - - - - -

CDs available 4/22/16

"A$AP Ferg - Always Strive And Proper" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99
    "Devil Driver - Daybreak" exclusive store single with $2.00 voucher for later album $1.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on April 12th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we may finally get toast from toasters, season four of Battlestar Galactica...

Since this is the first PT on the new schedule, decided to do a two-fer; both half seasons of the final run of the Ronald D. Moore "BSG" reboot.

"Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.0" was released on home video on January 6th, 2009.

It streeted against "Babylon A.D", Mannix: The Second Season" and "Pineapple Express".

Unknown if the regular edition had an insert.

- - -

There were three exclusives all from Best Buy...

Limited edition gift set (eight per store), $39.99. It came with a pair of dog tags (Captain Kara Thrace; metal, not plastic), a freebee, not a real exclusive. Tags normally retail for $19.99 in '09.

Plus a thirty-two page photo booklet and exclusive slipcase/box (embossed).

The booklet's first four pages sums up what came before season 4, the rest is character profiles.

Other exclusive is long gone (link has expired), I downloaded off their website (MP4s). The store had two deleted scenes NOT included in any box set. These axed moments were from the episodes "Faith" (May 9th, 2008) and "Six Of One" (April 11th, 2008).

Eight per store - gone in less than thirty minutes. Got there on release day at 10:13 AM. There were three copies present, then two.

I was expecting to find on the 'new release' table (remember?). Nope. Then I looked in the television section - of course not. Then on the end of the isles with more new releases. No. Finally saw a cardboard stand, holding various titles and said three copies; lucky to have mine.

*sigh* Many found the slipcase a disappointment. Image above does not express it well. You have to be extra careful not to damage the box. The booklet and tags fit inside, but even when they're inside, they don't fill available space. The cardboard on the dog tags' blister pack, isn't DVD case size.

The thin cases kinda slump over. You can easily squeeze a dent by grabbing the box wrong.

There is a semi-solution...

A fellow named "JSwarce" (from "DVD Talk Forum") fell upon the idea of removing the bonuses for Battlestar Galactica: Razor (previous Past Tense) - it fit the gap; if you bought the DVD release for "Razor" (including its slipcover).

The box becomes solid. Good I suppose, but I think it was accidental. I'll explain in a few. Opted not to do that, so I have the tags (not opened, sealed) and booklet inside.

The last exclusive is from Canada; Future Shop - which was the sister company of Best Buy; a steel book case.

Sorry, I don't have that release week price.

"Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.5" was released on home video on July 28th, 2009.

It streeted against "Charles In Charge: Season 5", "The Middleman: The Complete Series" and "Repulsion".

There was an insert; one side, an ad for the then upcoming Sci-Fi Channel series "Caprica". The other side is an ad for Sci-Fi/Universal DVD box sets; "Heroes: Season 2", "Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.0", "Eureka: Season 2", "The Incredible Hulk: Season 5" "Bionic Woman: Volume One" (2007 reimagined series; while it reads V1, there was never a second installment, the DVD has all eight episodes) and "Buck Rogers In The 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series".

- - -

There was only one exclusive from Best Buy, a similar limited edition gift set - sold for $39.99.

This too came with a pair of dog tags (Admiral William Adama; once again metal) and thirty-two page photo booklet and exclusive slipcase/box (embossed).

As with the last, booklet's first four pages sums up what came before (season 4.5), the rest is additional character profiles.

All rather slick looking both booklets.

Did not have the problem I did for 4.0 when bought.

The box... same design, same size void. This could be a design feature to incorporate the then later release, "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan". Nope. DVD won't fit inside, too thick - you're not taking one of the slim cases out. This is why believe the DVD placement was just a coincidence in 4.0.

Both box sets could be placed side-by-side for one image, the image on top of this post, which is cute, but impractical. Each box has ten episodes. Same deal here, dog tags are still sealed.

Don't know if Future Shop released a steel book case for 4.5. Sorry.

Above is the individual covers for seasons 4.0 and 4.5. Yes, it does look like Apollo is staring at Starbuck's breasts. Or maybe looking for a better ending...

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Love the show, don't get me wrong. But the ending leaves a lot to be desired. I would recommend, but give a warning about the conclusion. Here's a good quote that encapsulates my feelings.... (spoilers)

Completely insane element: Flash forward 150,000 years (which is even further than the flashforward at the end of A.I. - one of the most absurd endings of all time. Well done, BSG!). We learn from angel Baltar/angel 6 who that little Hera's bones have been found in an excavation in Africa. Along with her human father and Cylon mother. A little girl. A LITTLE GIRL??? Okaaaaay... so that means Hera dies. Like, really young. Like, as a child. Like, really soon after we last see her. So, basically, could someone explain WHAT THE FU¢K WAS SO IMPORTANT ABOUT HERA IF SHE DIED MONTHS AFTER REACHING NEW EARTH!!! Seriously, was God's plan for Hera to appear on the cover of National Geographic? Was that it? And doesn't Hera invalidate evolution? I mean, she represents a human being that is out of time by at least 145,000 years. I mean, seriously - humans haven't even developed LANGUAGE. We're pretty far back in the human chain of existence. And now scientists are looking at a modern homo sapian girl. Wow. Thank you God for totally fu¢king the theory of evolution. Maybe that WAS God's plan. Maybe that's the ultimate message. God exists. Evolution is bullshit. But I kinda doubt it. This was a disaster of a season. A total trainwreck of an ending with no comprehension of the material. I mean, there's sh!t that just was a complete "fu¢k you" to logic and storytelling.
    - Karterhol

Indeed!

There is a long winded pontification by a fellow fan, named Brad. He breaks down the finale ("Daybreak") like his bitch and makes it eat from the doggie bowl. It's huge and worth the read. Click and understand. Checked, the link is still alive.

Moore made such a big deal that the entire series was mapped. We would get a satisfying conclusion. Then later after the finale aired, he said he had trouble coming up with an ending. Dude, you lied. You had six months plus in between filming 4.0 and 4.5 since Sci-Fi decided on ten episode seasons. But that's another rant; it's their highest rated show and they didn't want to pay for season four (almost didn't happen).

The BSG universe appears to be dead.

I liked "Caprica", the final episodes kicked ass. It has some good company; the final episodes of "SeaQuest DSV" were good. Good. They finally found their legs, the show now had a direction, new Cold War. The same can be said for "Star Trek: Enterprise". This was the stuff they should've been doing from the pilot on forward. Canceled.

Yes, SyFy (God name still bugs me) had "Battlestar Galactica: Blood And Chrome" (2012) which told of the last Cyclon War with a young Bill Adama. But that became a one shot program and they redesigned the older Cylons, broke continuity. I still liked it though.

- - -

Courtesy notice.

If you bought that BSG mega box set, you didn't get all the extras; not talking about the above mentioned internet deleted scenes.

I'm talking about the mini-series.

Came to DVD on December 28th, 2004 - has deleted scenes which didn't carry over to the mega set OR season one box. If want them, you need that mini-series, doesn't matter which pressing; first came as a two disc set and later, single double-sided disc.

Plus the mini-series is on a single side on disc one in the boxes, three hours compressed. Better overall quality on the separate release(s).

Indeed. Come back here on April 28th, 2016 for old timey booze and some floozies - well more like one.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-29-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - April 2016

Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - -

CDs - available 4/29/16

"Rob Zombie - The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser" with exclusive lenticular cover sticker $13.99
    "Tremonti - Dust" exclusive autograph by Mark Tremonti $11.99
    "Hatebreed - A.D." exclusive store single with $2.00 voucher for later album $1.99

"A$AP Ferg - Always Strive And Prosper" with two excluisve bonus tracks $9.99 (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on April 26th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we get drunk and almost go blind on poorly made tub hooch on "Boardwalk Empire"...

"Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season" was released on home video on January 10th, 2012.

It streeted against "Columbo: Mystery Movie Collection", "1911: Collectors Edition" and "Primeval: Volume 3".

There was a single small insert in the digi-pack box set (inside a slipcase); a contest from HBO. Win a 42-inch plasma television with Blu-Ray player. Visit the provided web address and complete the survey (picking viewers' heads for opinions, likes and dislikes). The contest ended on April 9th, 2012.

- - -

There were four exclusives for season one. Well, actually five, but I'll get into that rogue further down. Lets address this alphabetically and begin with...

The above are the menus and sub-menus.

Best Buy sold theirs with an exclusive bonus DVD that came inside a slim case - attached to the back of the box. It sold for $29.99. The bonus disc has a run time of 72:14 minutes, presented in widescreen. Also available for Blu-Ray for the same price.

The extras was the first episode of season two (which at that point had not aired) and two featurettes.

In addition to that bonus disc, there was another exclusive - playing cards.

The card deck sold for $3.99. You could purchase this set without having to buy the series, or any DVDs if you so choose.

I bought both; my deck is still sealed.

There was a minimum of seven decks per store. So I was lucky to get mine. I remember asking for help; they had not put out the exclusive yet. The clerk came out with the shipping box.

Above is Best Buy's weekly ad announcing their particular gimmicks that week.

- - -

Next was an online exclusive from the HBO Store.

Which I didn't buy.

The DVD set sold for $59.99 or $79.99 for BD (not including shipping or tax). It came with a bonus disc (shipped separately on January 16th [2012]). As I understand, this was a single featurette (8:45 minutes) which was made available online previously.

Do a search on YouTube for "Designing The Empire". I would love to own this, but I do not paying full retail. This exclusive was way too expensive for a single, short featurette.

Perhaps I can find it at a swap meet or yard sale some day. *nods*

- - -

Coming up on the rear is Target; weekly advertisement above. They provided an exclusive set of six (series theme) postcards for $34.99 (or $39.99 for Blu-Ray). Probably the weakest of the lot.

I did not buy this either. Would I like to own this? Yes, but I would not pay thirty-five bucks for it.

Now if there were no other exclusives, then yes, I would've bought season one at Target.

- - -

Okay.

There was another exclusive from Best Buy. A series sampler/preview disc. The promotion happened on November 2nd, 2010. You could get the pilot episode (inside a slim case) for free with any HBO DVD/Blu-Ray purchase (series or mini-series).

Or you could get it for roughly a penny. Depends, some cashier didn't bother ringing it up - free. The disc has a run time of 72:18 minutes. Weekly ad publicizing the offer above (it's to the left of "The Pacific" listing).

There is no menu screen since it just plays. And no spots for HBO shows, bare bones. And absolutely obsolete if you bought season one.

I'll be honest, I got several of them of the course of a couple of weeks. I needed them for their slimcases. Good ones are hard to get. And I seized on the opportunity.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

He likes 'em pretty. He likes 'em in their lingerie.
    - Apollonia 6

This was a total blind purchase. I don't have cable, never have. I've only read the praise from online fans that got me interested. I'm glad I bought this. I do have a complaint, but I guess I'm not alone. It's a tiny season, all and all season one is twelve episodes. I wanted more.

Wait, two complaints - the DVDs themselves. This is a five disc set, why? Several of them are just two episodes with a few extras. This could've been a four disc collection easy. I hope that means the bit rate was jacked up per episode, if not this is waste of space.

The typical DVD has four one hour episode. Well, not one hour when you take out all the commercials - lets say, forty-two minutes each (network series).

Anyhow, I remember trying to recall where I saw actress Kelly MacDonald (Mrs. Margaret Schroeder). Then it hit me, it was "Gosford Park" (2001; she played a maid); among the first of period dramas I bought. My tastes have expanded to include titles I had little to zero interest in watching eight years ago.

I'm getting more mature - I'm fuzzy on how I should feel about that. Fuzzy.

Well, that and trying to figure out which character was played by Dabney Coleman. He plays Commodore Louis Kaestner. Man, he looks so different. Age has not been kind to him, he's unrecognizable. Holy crap. He's old.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

You know what seriously needs to come out on DVD? "Battle For Milkquarious" (2009), I kid you not. Yes, White Gold!

The short is less than twenty-three minutes long. You could have a making-of featurette along with the various White Gold music videos and milk ads. It could easily fit on one disc with room to spare. I want this.

Years ago I downloaded the short off YouTube. I like what they did, reminded me a lot of the low budget film, "The Call Of Cthulhu" (2005), seek it out too.

Man, I loved the goddess; Bovina, the magical uni-pega-cow. Plus the songs are catchy. "And I've got your MILK!"

Those Bad Hair monsters were freaky.

There's a fellow online with the moniker 'Cookiin' who made a custom Bovina action figure along with a custom White Gold. Truly, he is among kings. Sway.

There you go folks. And yes, this PT is short. It happens.

The next Past Tense arrives on May 12th, 2016; we go on a road trip looking to get lucky. 'Lucky' not the name of a dog.

Hooray! *Mel Gibson angry voice*
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-29-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Credits
    Target - May 3rd, 2016

Joy
    Exclusive bonus content (disc?); BD/DVD/DC set $19.99
    (20% off Huggable Hangers with movie purchase)

The 5th Wave
    Exclusive bonus content (disc?); BD only $17.99

Grease Live (available now)
    Exclusive store release $10.00

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD available 05/06/16

"Cole Swindell - You Should" deluxe edition, exclusive store release $9.99

Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast