Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 18th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Run, dodge, fire guns and get all shaky cam-ed with "The Bourne Files"...

This PT is a bit different since were talking about a double feature release. So I'm gonna cover the stats on both.

"The Bourne Identity" opened on June 14th, 2002. It was made with a budget of $60,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $121 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number four.

The feature opened against "Spider-Man", "Undercover Brother", "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones" and "Scooby-Doo".

"The Bourne Supremacy" opened on July 23rd, 2004 It was made with a budget of $75,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $176 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "I, Robot", "Spider-Man 2", "Shrek 2", "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "King Arthur".

"The Bourne Files" is a three disc digipak set that came in a cardboard file style case. You pull out each mock file with DVD.

Images above do far better justice - the picture feels like the disc holders are folders with a chapter listing sheet inside. Nope, not the case at all. It's a replica, printed on thick card stock, just an illusion. This release did not come with any inserts.

The case was not embossed either.

One difference from the final product; the velcro dot isn't cloth (you know what I mean), it's clear plastic.

- - -

There were two exclusives and both were pretty weak. But at the time I didn't own either movies so it was a cool deal.

The collection streeted on July 24th, 2007.

Best Buy offered an exclusive theater voucher to see "The Bourne Ultimatum" (2007); ($7.50 value for one; the window was August 3rd to August 31st, 2007).

That counts. Kinda.

The store also offered a discount; save five dollars on the $14.99 opening week price if you used your MasterCard - which I did. Sway. The voucher 'Compliments Of MasterCard'.

There is an important question, but I'll get to that in a few.

Wal-Mart had a bonus disc. Don't get excited it was lame; came in a printed cardboard sleeve on the back of the release (as I recall). This DVD has a run time of 11:20 minutes (presented in widescreen). The entry for "The Bourne Ultimatum" wasn't a trailer, but rather a 3:45 minute chase clip from the film. This four disc set sold for $14.98 on release day.

By the way, the bonus disc/sleeve does not fit inside the case/folder. I have mine stored outside (in a bag) with other exclusives that can't be with their source release.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

What's on the third disc on this double feature?

It has four new items; sneak peak at 'Ultimatum' and three featurettes on author Robert Ludlum and making of the film series. It a run time of 50:44 minutes

So? Which version of "The Bourne Identity" is present? A bit of background first...

"The Bourne Identity" was first release on DVD as "Collector's Edition" on January 21st, 2003 ($26.98). It didn't have much extras. It was re-released as "Explosive Extended Edition" on July 13th, 2004 ($29.98) with a lot more bonuses, but looses the director's commentary, extended farmhouse scene and its trailer.

So if you want all the extras, you'll need both editions (which I own).

The DVD version presented in the collection here is the "Explosive Extended Edition".

- - -
Everybody's always asking me - where is it baby? Doesn't anybody know?
- Tim Feehan

If you really want a tally, "The Bourne Identity" has been released on DVD four times. The first two mentioned a moment ago.

Above are all the same; "Explosive Extended Edition". The far left is the second version, it didn't come with any slipcover. Next to that is the '100th Anniversary' edition (I own it); this is about Universal Studios hitting the century mark. It came with a foil slipcover (non-embossed) which opens up (clear plastic velcro) showing various movie and Universal trivia.

It streeted on January 10th, 2012. It also came with a digital copy insert; code expired on December 31st, 2012.

The far right is a later re-release, '2000s Best Of The Decade'. This was a non-foiled, non-embossed slipcover and streeted on July 9th, 2013. I can't say if this came with a digital copy, don't own this.

Should be noted that none of the original insert(s) came with the 100th Anniversary (and most likely not with Best Of The Decade). Yes, I am that anal. Took time, but I finally got it from a swap meet.

- - -

This wasn't the first adaptation, it made it to the small screen initially. ABC had a two part mini-series, "The Bourne Identity", aired on May 8th and 9th of 1988. It starred Richard Chamberlain as Jason Bourne and Jaclyn Smith as Marie St. Jacques. Ludlum fans call the TV version the most faithful to the novel. I still remember watching that when it first aired - was in high school at the time.

This is something I had regrets, an opportunity to pick the DVD for a low price, years ago, but procrastinated. At one point it was going for $169.99 new. This steeted August 27th, 2002 from Warner Home Video (ISBN# 0-7907-7305-8). Why not buy it used for a lot cheaper? This came out in a cardboard snapper case (man, I hate those). You can imagine the used copy has tons of scratches and dents. Buying it 'like new' can be such a crap shoot.

The mini-series originally retailed for $19.98; 188 minutes with zero extras; presented in anamorphic widescreen. I'm fuzzy, it was broadcast in full screen. But the possibility exist that it was filmed wide for foreign markets... so maybe widescreen?

Earlier this month I finally got my copy for a decent price, new. Great condition and the disc is mint. I'm happy.

Feel a bit weird, a sign of the times. Chamberlain looks old playing Bourne. You don't see that kind of thing now; action heroes are no longer middle age men or older. Try watching "Adventures Of Superman" (1952), it's on DVD. George Reeves looks too old to play the Man Of Steel by today's standards.

Yup, indeed - this is one of the shorter entries. It is what it is. Come back on July 4th (2019) for another - and possibly better posts. Well get haunted help mixed with some reefer.