Credits
    Best Buy - September 17th, 2019

X-Men: Dark Phoenix
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Aladdin (live action) (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on November 10th, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week I hope you think about the long term and long term supply of toilet paper (that stuff is no longer being made) in "I Am Legend"...

The motion picture opened on December 14th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $150,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 256 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "Enchanted", "No Country For Old Men", "The Golden Compass" and "Alvin And The Chipmunks".

For the intent of this post, I'm only covering the two disc widescreen special edition. This version came with a cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound and an insert - digital copy info/codes.

Digital Copy (on disc 2) expired on March 18th, 2009 - put in the code to have it copied to your hard drive. Then you should just alter your PC's clock, before that date and copy over. Not for Macs by the way.

- - -

Circuit City had an exclusive pre-release, promo disc. This came in a printed cardboard sleeve. It was available free if you purchased two $5.99 sale DVDs.

I got mine for free, sometimes it pays to ask.

This was made available on December 9th, 2007. The promo has a run time of 14:08 minutes.

What is really sad, among other things is that this preview disc has better extras than the final release.

At least here you get a gallery. Granted it's the decaying city and not the infected (they're not zombies - very much still alive; Hemocytes). Plus two making-of featurettes.

- - -

On release day; March 18th, 2008, Best Buy sold the two disc set as an exclusive steelbook case (image from fellow enthusiast, Cactussog - I'm not putting a steel case in my scanner).

Like the regular release, this came with an insert for the digital copy. It sold for $17.99.

This so called "Special Edition" is very underwhelming. The four animated comics were cool, they added to the story, but I wanted material on the making. No commentary, there are some extras. But to access, you need a PC - won't work on a Mac (which is what I have).

This concept is BS, the extras should be here.

These extras were twenty-one short featurettes on the making, "Creating I Am Legend" - this was only available though your PC. Plus a documentary on real world viruses (twenty-one minutes).

This sucks. All of this should've fit on the disc 1 or port them over to... a Disc 3 if they wanted. Or separated among disc 1 and 2. They dropped the ball here.

Oh yeah. The back cover of the steelbook has (printed) the Executive Order (#82684) from the CDC for New York quarantine. Details include...

ALL public gatherings prohibited.

NEVER go outside.

A minimum of 10-week supply of water and food must be maintained.

Vaccine Trials offer the only hope for non-priority evacuees.

Important - All deceased persons must be cremated.

That was a nice touch.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Regular edition is a two disc release, above. Disc one is the theatrical cut, the second is the alternate version. The recut is a slightly better movie.

The more I think on this, the more of blunder this home video release was. Far too many asleep at the wheel from execution to final content. Like they half-a$$ed the whole project. Thinking just because it stars Will Smith - folks will buy on name alone.

Anyhow on December 9th, 2008 - "I Am Legend: Ultimate Collector's Edition" streeted.

This was I guess, Warner Bros. effort to rectify their crappy release. The box set had a $49.98 price tag by the way.

Ultimate Collector's Edition collects all the PC content and makes it available on disc, a third DVD. The reformed doc is now called "The Making Of I Am Legend". It also includes a new featurette.

"I Am Legend: The Making Of Shots" - various special effects sequences. Don't hit 'play all', they did a poor job making it clear when you play all the segments, things repeat - a lot!

Deleted scenes with commentary by director Francis Lawrence and writer/producer Akiva Goldsman, twelve of them which do not add to the story - fluff.

The rest is physical extras. You get a forty-four page photo book. Six art cards. And a singular lenticular block, a scene from the movie in motion. That's cute I suppose.

Disc three does have "Cautionary Tale: The Science Of I Am Legend" and ports over those four animated shorts as well.

Bought my copy, UCE in May of 2012 for roughly ten bucks from Half.com remember them? Nobody wanted it. The box includes another new bonus - commentary by Lawrence and Goldsman on the theatrical version.

You know what's missing? Footage from the first week of shooting or even images. The infected, the Darkseekers were not CGI, they were actors in full body prosthetics. The director didn't like the look and decided on CGI, blowing up the budget and post-production time. I've seen some pixs of the original effect. Yeah, should've gone with the prosthetics. May not look as real, but better than the CGI final results.

- - -

Should be noted that this was the third adaptation of Richard Matheson's 1954 novel, "I Am Legend". Which by the way was the inspiration George A. Romero had in making, "Night Of The Living Dead" (1968).

The first film was the 1964 black and white movie, "The Last Man On Earth" starring Vincent Price as Dr. Robert Morgan. The screenplay was adapted by Matheson and others.

It's been put on DVD several times over - just go with the 2007 20th Century Fox release, above. Yes, that's the MGM logo, but was distributed by Fox. Just go with it.

The second big screen effort was in 1971 starring Charlton Heston as Dr. Robert Neville - "The Omega Man". Once again Matheson worked on the screenplay.

- - -

While researching this post, discovered there were plans to make a prequel where Neville (who did get evacuated) travels from New York to Washington, D.C. trying to stop the virus from taking over the world. He and a team of scientists, making a last stand. It would end with him being alone and leaving back to New York - back to his home. Pretty much caught in development hell. A screenplay was written by D. B. Weiss. Maybe they should release it as novel or comic. Or have it as an animated project, there is a precedent with those animated shorts. Cheaper than live action and have Will Smith come back just for his voice.

- - - - - - - - - -

Easter Egg.

I'm using that term loosely here. There is an odd piece - a background image that wouldn't become real until nearly a decade later.

As Dr. Robert Neville (Smith) and his dog, Samantha are leaving Times Square from a failed deer hunt, sunset is coming - they back head home and pass a huge movie poster... "Batman Vs. Superman".

This didn't happen until the Summer of 2016, nine years later. Time index is 7:45 minutes, theatrical cut. Interesting, but not as freaky as the "Poltergeist" poster...

Sure. The film came out in the Summer of 1982. Both Freeling kids in the movie, Robbie (Oliver Robins) and Carol Anne (Heather O’Rourke) share a bedroom. On the wall (Robbie's side) there is a poster for - Super Bowl 1988, XXII. Beyond the year - in '82 they were on Super Bowl XVI.

Did the movie actually take place in the future? Then it gets odder...

Super Bowl twenty-two happened on January 31st, 1988. Actress O'Rourke died the following day. Making that a death day poster. Quite real, it's in the movie.

And with that, I'll take my leave.

Next month begins the fifth Annual Limited Edition Horror! An entry for each Thursday. We got vampires, corporate conspiracy, a possessed house, lycanthropes, zombies and Death itself. Plus as usual, horror flick recommendations for All Hallows' Eve viewing (began compiling for this year back in January) - good stuff.

So be a dear and come back here on October 4th, 2019 for your first touch. Stay loose, keep moving - don't loose your head.

Credits
    Target - September 24th, 2019

101 Dalmations (animated)
    Exclusive packaging with storybook; BD/DVD/DC combo $28.99

Sleeping Beauty (animated)
    Exclusive packaging with storybook; BD/DVD/DC combo $28.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

music available 9/27

"The Beatles - Abby Road" exclusive anniversary edition vinyl with tee $32.99

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041