Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 18th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Run, dodge, fire guns and get all shaky cam-ed with "The Bourne Files"...

This PT is a bit different since were talking about a double feature release. So I'm gonna cover the stats on both.

"The Bourne Identity" opened on June 14th, 2002. It was made with a budget of $60,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $121 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number four.

The feature opened against "Spider-Man", "Undercover Brother", "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones" and "Scooby-Doo".

"The Bourne Supremacy" opened on July 23rd, 2004 It was made with a budget of $75,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $176 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "I, Robot", "Spider-Man 2", "Shrek 2", "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "King Arthur".

"The Bourne Files" is a three disc digipak set that came in a cardboard file style case. You pull out each mock file with DVD.

Images above do far better justice - the picture feels like the disc holders are folders with a chapter listing sheet inside. Nope, not the case at all. It's a replica, printed on thick card stock, just an illusion. This release did not come with any inserts.

The case was not embossed either.

One difference from the final product; the velcro dot isn't cloth (you know what I mean), it's clear plastic.

- - -

There were two exclusives and both were pretty weak. But at the time I didn't own either movies so it was a cool deal.

The collection streeted on July 24th, 2007.

Best Buy offered an exclusive theater voucher to see "The Bourne Ultimatum" (2007); ($7.50 value for one; the window was August 3rd to August 31st, 2007).

That counts. Kinda.

The store also offered a discount; save five dollars on the $14.99 opening week price if you used your MasterCard - which I did. Sway. The voucher 'Compliments Of MasterCard'.

There is an important question, but I'll get to that in a few.

Wal-Mart had a bonus disc. Don't get excited it was lame; came in a printed cardboard sleeve on the back of the release (as I recall). This DVD has a run time of 11:20 minutes (presented in widescreen). The entry for "The Bourne Ultimatum" wasn't a trailer, but rather a 3:45 minute chase clip from the film. This four disc set sold for $14.98 on release day.

By the way, the bonus disc/sleeve does not fit inside the case/folder. I have mine stored outside (in a bag) with other exclusives that can't be with their source release.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

What's on the third disc on this double feature?

It has four new items; sneak peak at 'Ultimatum' and three featurettes on author Robert Ludlum and making of the film series. It a run time of 50:44 minutes

So? Which version of "The Bourne Identity" is present? A bit of background first...

"The Bourne Identity" was first release on DVD as "Collector's Edition" on January 21st, 2003 ($26.98). It didn't have much extras. It was re-released as "Explosive Extended Edition" on July 13th, 2004 ($29.98) with a lot more bonuses, but looses the director's commentary, extended farmhouse scene and its trailer.

So if you want all the extras, you'll need both editions (which I own).

The DVD version presented in the collection here is the "Explosive Extended Edition".

- - -
    Everybody's always asking me - where is it baby? Doesn't anybody know?
    - Tim Feehan

If you really want a tally, "The Bourne Identity" has been released on DVD four times. The first two mentioned a moment ago.

Above are all the same; "Explosive Extended Edition". The far left is the second version, it didn't come with any slipcover. Next to that is the '100th Anniversary' edition (I own it); this is about Universal Studios hitting the century mark. It came with a foil slipcover (non-embossed) which opens up (clear plastic velcro) showing various movie and Universal trivia.

It streeted on January 10th, 2012. It also came with a digital copy insert; code expired on December 31st, 2012.

The far right is a later re-release, '2000s Best Of The Decade'. This was a non-foiled, non-embossed slipcover and streeted on July 9th, 2013. I can't say if this came with a digital copy, don't own this.

Should be noted that none of the original insert(s) came with the 100th Anniversary (and most likely not with Best Of The Decade). Yes, I am that anal. Took time, but I finally got it from a swap meet.

- - -

This wasn't the first adaptation, it made it to the small screen initially. ABC had a two part mini-series, "The Bourne Identity", aired on May 8th and 9th of 1988. It starred Richard Chamberlain as Jason Bourne and Jaclyn Smith as Marie St. Jacques. Ludlum fans call the TV version the most faithful to the novel. I still remember watching that when it first aired - was in high school at the time.

This is something I had regrets, an opportunity to pick the DVD for a low price, years ago, but procrastinated. At one point it was going for $169.99 new. This steeted August 27th, 2002 from Warner Home Video (ISBN# 0-7907-7305-8). Why not buy it used for a lot cheaper? This came out in a cardboard snapper case (man, I hate those). You can imagine the used copy has tons of scratches and dents. Buying it 'like new' can be such a crap shoot.

The mini-series originally retailed for $19.98; 188 minutes with zero extras; presented in anamorphic widescreen. I'm fuzzy, it was broadcast in full screen. But the possibility exist that it was filmed wide for foreign markets... so maybe widescreen?

Earlier this month I finally got my copy for a decent price, new. Great condition and the disc is mint. I'm happy.

Feel a bit weird, a sign of the times. Chamberlain looks old playing Bourne. You don't see that kind of thing now; action heroes are no longer middle age men or older. Try watching "Adventures Of Superman" (1952), it's on DVD. George Reeves looks too old to play the Man Of Steel by today's standards.

Yup, indeed - this is one of the shorter entries. It is what it is. Come back on July 4th (2019) for another - and possibly better posts. Well get haunted help mixed with some reefer.

Credits
    Target - June 25th, 2019

Cinderella: Signature
    Exclusive packaging with 40 page booklet; BD/DVD/DC combo $28.99

Dumbo (live action)
    Exclusive packaging with 40 page booklet; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Credits
    Best Buy - June 25th, 2019

Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99

Dumbo (live action)

The Matrix Trilogy (now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD only $74.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on July 26th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Things to do today; buy some pot, find some tasty snacks and performer an exorcism or two in "Deadbeat"...

"Deadbeat: Season One" was released on home video on August 26th, 2014.

It streeted against "The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season", "All That Jazz" (Criterion) and "Legends Of Oz: Dorothy's Return" and "Revenge: The Complete Third Season".

The DVD did not come with a slipcover. It came with two inserts. 1) A double sided sheet, episode guide. 2) Single sided, Digital Copy (UltraViolet instructions; code expires on August 26th, 2015.

- - -

As with the Past Tense entry for "Men In Black: The Animated Series - Season One", this was another unadvertised exclusive.

It was from another message board that I discover the release. From various reviews online - a blind buy. No trouble finding it. I bought my copy, not on Tuesday, but later that week.

This single disc title sold for $14.99. As far as I know, this was not released on Blu-Ray.

There is a minor note.

One DVD (single sided) holding ten half hour episodes with three extras. I did a double take on the details once home. The bit rate must suffer, right?

Lionsgate did a good job. The video (anamorphic widescreen) and audio are quite decent, gets the job done. No real problems, would have like it presented on two discs, but I'm okay with it.

What's on the other side of this bit rate coin?

The perfect example; former UPN series "Legacy" (1998 - 1999) DVD.

This is a two disc set.

Wait for it...

Eighteen, one hour shows (you know what I mean). Each disc has nine episodes each. Oh boy. It's watchable, like viewing a YouTube video. I liked the show; was one of the short number of viewers when it aired. Glad it's on home video. But would rather have seen it on five discs. Better sound and picture.

This was released from Echo Bridge Home Entertainment in 2013, bought in 2014 for five bucks at Wal-Mart). I will give them credit. They managed to keep the original song for the opening credits; "The Mummers' Dance" by Loreena McKennitt.

This did NOT happen for Warner Home Video's "Birds Of Prey: The Complete Series". The opening credits song, "Revolution" by Aimee Allen was replaced with ultra generic music. The studio didn't even try. *shakes head*

Something I found out while researching; the actress who played Lexy Logan (youngest daughter; little girl on the DVD cover) on "Legacy" was a voice actress in "Toy Story" (1995). Sarah Freeman voiced Hannah Phillips, Sid's younger sister.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

So many people compare "Deadbeat" to The CW's former series "Reaper" (2007 - 2009). That's such a wrong comparison. Truly.

That series IS "Dead Last" on The WB (now The CW) in 2001. The exact same concept with actor Tyler Labine playing pretty much the same role. Which probably in any other show would be crap.

But he's so likable and is fun that it gets a pass.

"Dead Last" is about an unsigned band, "The Problem" has problems with apparitions - touched by an amulet found by accident; they can see and talk to the dead. And they won't leave them alone unless they can give the spirit(s) closure. Each week they would run into new ghosts. It was funny and sometimes creepy. Thirteen episodes were made, only eight aired.

The show had multiple, seemingly random story lines that converge, densely written.

Like Scooby-Doo, "The Problem" got around in a van trying to find paying gigs and reluctantly solving wrongs. It also starred Kett Turton, Labine and Sara Downing with Wayne Pére.

The episode that stands out (for me) was Scotty (Labine) buys a haunted car. A 1970s auto being tracked; the ghost - a "Shaft" (1971) like police detective. The specter believes there is evidence hidden somewhere in the car (can't get to it since he has no physicality). Together they try to solve the crime of his death and run into the detective's long deceased partner who has spent the past decades trying to bring down the other accomplices. Now with a Scotty in tow - the three will make justice happen. So over the top.

The other thing I remember remains quite relevant - Vaughn Parrish (Turton); band leader was pissed. "The Problem" lost a paying gig due to a DJ appearance. His argument was that the guy doesn't create music, he just remixes and samples from existing songs. That kind of subset of EDM (Electronic Dance Music) has grown much since '01. And at that point, it was the first time I ever heard that complaint - depends on the DJ; it can be art.

"Deadbeat" takes the concept and reduces ghost communication to one; Kevin "Pac" Pacalioglu played by Labine.

Our hero is a stoner with a special gift and is an underachiever. His best friend is his drug dealer, "Roofie" (Brandon T. Jackson), together they get into various apparitional trouble. Pac trying his best to make a buck off his unique talent and failing hard.

Rounding out the cast is Cat Deeley as Camomile White, a renowned medium and author - she's a fraud. White has an assistant, Sue (Lucy DeVito; yes daughter of that DeVito) who's life is made miserable by her temperamental boss. Add to that, Camomile is angry that Pac could expose her and pissed that he's enamor with her.

Something that needs to be mentioned. In this world, the idea of ghosts and hauntings is known and quite common. At one point the mayor of New York wants Pac to exorcise a murderous phantom from a subway construction. One of the main cast gets killed, I liked that. Did not expect that to happen.

The image above is from the second episode. Pac is helping a deceased competitive eater (Telly Leung) who had his stomach taken (organ donor) and given to a Hasidic Jew, Menachem Mendel. Hiro Tamagachi's unfinished business is to compete in a hot dog eating contest. Pac then tries to convince the guy (Modi) to put aside this faith and allow for this final wish - consuming pork. So messed up, it's a twisted show.

Menachem does and ends up liking it, forcing him to give up the clothe. The character makes another appearance later in the series, ticked off at Pac. He made him give up God for tasty dogs.

Adding to the weirdness is that Pac has a pet ghost. What is it? My guess it's a malformed fetus.

The Rube Goldberg episode was my favorite, so over the top. Another good one was Pac getting into trouble with the Swedish Mafia. Yes, you read correctly. If you can find the DVD, it is recommended.

Sadly this is the only one on home video; seasons two and three remain unreleased (each were thirteen episodes).

I'm hoping the rest will come out on DVD or as a complete set - like what Mill Creek Entertainment did for "Masters Of Sex" and "Happy Endings".

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

I wish there were images of the inside of this truck camper from the mid 1960s, Del Rey Kamp King's "Sky Lounge".

As I understand this was a three story truck add-on. The second story is in front above the cab; a place to sit down and view forward. The third was a bedroom with roof deck. First floor was the kitchen.

The center of gravity is questionable, but looks damn sway. I would image that the third floor wouldn't be assembled until the truck in parked for camping. Can you only access the third from that ladder? Is there another way to get up?

Was this safe in the rain? Was it reasonably insulated?

Seeing that image makes me want to add awning over the roof deck, nothing too fancy, but something to provide shade. I would imagine the tech inside was big and bulky (1960s). Such a thing now would be quite roomy, like Northwood's "Arctic Fox" 990 camper (above). Why yes, I do like tiny homes.

There you go. Come back here on July 18th, 2019 for another cut by a television surgeon. Indeed.

Credits
    Target - July 7th, 2019

Stranger Things (Season One) (available now)
    Exclusive VHS packaging and poster; DVD/BD combo $5.00

Stranger Things: Season 2 (available now)
    Exclusive VHS packaging with photo set; BD/DVD combo $10.00

Credits
    Best Buy - July 9th, 2019

Pet Sematary (2019)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD only $32.99

Waterworld
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $19.99

Captain Marvel (available now)

Bad Boys I & II (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $14.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $22.99

John Wick/John Wick 2: 2 Film Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook collection; 4k BD/BD combo $29.99

The Dark Tower (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $14.99

Field Of Dreams (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $18.99

Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $12.99

King Kong (2005) (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $18.99

Transformers: The Last Knight (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo $19.99

Mission Impossible: Fallout (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/DC combo $26.99

Credits
    Target - July 14th, 2019

Vinyl

"Elton John - Diamonds" exclusive blue translucent vinyl album $34.99 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - July 16th, 2019

Shazam!
    Exclusive packaging; 3D BD/BD/DVD combo $29.99

Shazam!
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $34.99

Spider-Man Legacy Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $25.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on May 15th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

'Is there a doctor in the house?' *poor Groucho impersonation* Sorry, buddy; they're kinda busy screwing each other in "Grey's Anatomy"...

"Grey's Anatomy: The Complete Fifth Season - More Moments" was released on home video on September 15th, 2009.

It streeted against "Bonanza: The Official First Season - Volume 1", "Army of Darkness: Screwhead Edition" and "Sanctuary: The Complete First Season".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcase holding seven discs in a digipak. It came with two small inserts, none of which was an episode guide (though a content listing is shown for the DVDs on the inside flap - no air dates). 1) A two pager extolling the virtues of Blu-Ray. The rear showcases twelve BD titles. 2) An advertisement for other Buena Vista Home Entertainment TV titles (seasons sets) and the "Grey's Anatomy" video game (is it a first person shooter? *grin*). This had a coupon, $10.00 off select titles. It expired on December 31st, 2009. I didn't use mine, would've, but forgot I had it; could've gotten "Life On Mars: The Complete Series" for less. This insert also has an ad for daytime soaps on ABC.

- - -

First off I want to apology for the poor image above. I found this image in my archive, lucky to have it. That kind of thing has become lost the internet nearly a decade ago.

Did not take that pix and do not know who did - also lost to time.

Target offered the only exclusive, a bonus disc. The set sold for $36.99. The DVD has a run time of 104:41 minutes, it came in a printed sleeve.

As I recall, this was packed inside the box. But I'm not that sure it was ten years ago after all.

Further research; Best Buy sold the regular edition for $37.99 on release week, bought mine at Target (obviously). Best Buy did have an offer, save $15.00 if you bought season five with any previous seasons.

Those two episodes of "Private Practice" have seven chapters each; all the bonuses are presented in widescreen.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

This is a short entry after all - so, we're going here.

I'm a fan of the Shaft movie franchise; "Shaft" (1971), "Shaft's Big Score" (1972) and "Shaft In Africa" (1973).

Was super surprised to find it there were more feature films, TV movies - seven of them. This was in 2011.

They were part of a rotating movie of the week umbrella, "The New CBS Friday Night Movies" then became "The New CBS Tuesday Night Movies". These were crime related productions. CBS' answer to "The NBC Mystery Movie".

Oh yeah, John Shaft is a Chicago private investigator on tall adventures in the 1970s.

The movies were collected in a September 13th, 2011 DVD set; "Shaft: TV Movie Collection - Archive Collection". Warner Bros.'s Archive Collection is a series of MOD releases; Manufacture On Demand. The set sold for $49.99 which is ridiculous for DVD-Rs.

Finally paid in April of this year, got a decent deal, but still was way too much for burnt discs. Anyhow...

I've been watching them slowly starting in May. A movie at a time, not bingeing. These are decent and some of them feel quite like "Shaft" movies which is great.

These were shot in Los Angeles, pretending to be in Chicago, done with second unit production shooting various around Chicago, b-roll footage.

Last month I watched "The Kidnapping" (aired, December 11th, 1973), TV movie number four. Probably one of the most Shaft of the flicks. Add some nudity and cursing - BOOM, you have a theatrical feature. It's that good.

But it's the first part, the prologue which ticked me off - greatly. They re-purposed whole scenes from "Shaft's Big Score" which has ZERO to do with the story they were telling. It had to have been included just as filler to meet the length for broadcast.

Spoilers. In SBS (on DVD), insurance sales and funeral business man, Cal Asby calls on John Shaft to help him, he's in trouble. Before Shaft can arrive, Cal is murdered by a bomb in the insurance office, next to the funeral parlor. Shaft is banging Cal's little sister, Arna - unknown to Asby. She pleas, not needed...

Shaft starts an investigation; discovers that Cal's partner, Johnny Kelly was in serious debt with an uptown Italian mobster, Gus Mascola for the tune of $250,000. Cal had plans for the money - build an urban child care clinic, something Kelly had zero interest in.

Asby was no saint, most of his money came from running a numbers racket, folks doing minor gambling some bucks, but not big dollars. He prided himself in just having this - no cash from drugs or prostitution, things which would've brought in serious greenbacks - stuff Kelly desired.

Why was Kelly in so much debt? He wanted to live large, fancy condominium, car and fashion. Plus a high maintenance girlfriend, more like his concubine, Rita Towne.

Kelly murdered Asby for the money, but Cal's last act before dying was hiding it, he knew his partner going to steal it. Turns out he hid the cash in one of the caskets - the very same casket he was buried in.

In desperation, Kelly attempted to pit mobster against mobster; Gus Mascola vs. Bumpy Jonas who runs a huge downtown operation. It backfires on Kelly. This leaves him having to pay all the money and a huge percent of the gambling biz to stay alive to Mascola.

He realizes what had happened and tried to get there first - Kelly bringing funeral staff to dig up Cal's grave. But is meet by Mascola and his crew at the point of reveal. He's killed. Shaft arrives on scene and takes the money along with Gus as a hostage since there were too many on site to make a clean getaway.

There's a car chase along with a boat and helicopter one too. Mascola is killed during the shoot-out and the money is hidden for Arna to find so she can carry on Cal's wishes.

All in all, one badass movie. My favorite of the three theatrical flicks.

So?

The filler in front took scenes from SBS and made it into something else, crap. All of it was encapsulated as a TV news story on John Shaft; he was investigating a drug kingpin who was selling heroin. He killed their operation.

What the hell?

The movie's plot was good enough to be shortened, they didn't need to do that. C'mon, what they did was cancel out "Shaft's Big Score". WTF? That pissed me off. Granted, the rest of the movie won me over, but that should not have happened. A slap in the face to a good movie.

Still bugs me.

Back on main topic, I'm a fan of "Grey's Anatomy", yeah. I liked it. I still need to buy the later seasons. I picked up season five for the bonus disc; knew if I waited, I would regret not owning. Especially since the exclusive has real meat to it, very sway.

Come back her on August 8th, 2019 for another piece of PT goodness, you could call it "Desperate".
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-21-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Credits
    Target - July 23rd, 2019

Alita: Battle Angel
    With USB charging wristband (has "warrior" printed on it); BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99
    With USB charging wristband (has "warrior" printed on it); 4k BD/3D BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Hellboy (reboot)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

- - -

Vinyl available 7/26

"Stranger Things: Season 3 - Soundtrack" exclusive red, white and blue record $25.99

Credits
    Best Buy - July 23rd, 2019

Hellboy (reboot)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $29.99

Alita: Battle Angel
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/3D BD/DC combo $34.99

Credits
    Target - July 30th, 2019

Nickelodeon's Butterbean's Cafe $9.99
    Includes 4 exclusive recipes

Credits
    Best Buy - July 28th, 2019