Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense

Another brand new entry!

As with last week's extra, this exclusive is still out there - so you get an additional L.E. Horror offering.

Meet the guy who was 'down under' before it was a thing in 1943's "Phantom Of The Opera".

The motion picture opened on August 27th, 1943. It was made with a budget of $1,500,000 (estimated). Sorry further stats are unavailable to me.

This re-re-re-release has no insert.

- - -

Single exclusive... mostly, kinda. Murky.

Wal-Mart originally offered this as part of their then new glow-in-the-dark slipcovers for various Universal horror themed titles in 2016. Sold for $7.96 on DVD and $9.96 BD (with Digital Copy); both steeted on September 13th, 2016.

Offered once more on September 11th, 2017 for the same price.

There was no Digital Copy or any kind of insert - which I'll get into in a few.

Like with "The Birds", there's a DVD tale here.

The glow is decent as long as you don't expect too much, but take awhile to charge in front of a good light.

- - -

This was the second remake of the story. There's been several including an NBC TV mini-series and of course the Broadway play - also turned into a feature.

The movie is at times is campy, no escaping that, but is still entertaining in a nostalgic sense - how Hollywood used to make features. The story is fine; meat and potatoes, nothing really complex.

I liked it, but I can't say if you will sit through it. I'm not knocking it, the film was made for a generation that is in their golden years now. As I wrote, I enjoyed it.

That counts for something.

- - - - - - - - - -

Notes.

I got a lot of them.

The first DVD streeted on August 29th, 2000 for $29.95. This came as a gold disc. The release was a special edition. The first pressing came single sheet insert with chapter listings - and an online game piece for a chance to win a trip to Universal Studios Hollywood, "Halloween Horror Nights" (and other prizes).

A small plastic sheet with a red window near the middle. Log on univeralthrillers dot com and hold the 'decoder' card up to your computer screen. See if you won by color differential. The contest ended on December 31st, 2000 (for the rest of the unclaimed prizes).

To be clear - future editions is the exact same disc, only difference is newer pressed disc image and cover. The contents are the same.

Minus one...

On September 2nd, 2014 a mega box set streeted for $149.99; "Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection". This consolidated and expanded the previous "Legacy Collections" DVD titles from 2004; the "75th Anniversary Edition" and "Special Edition" of Universal monsters like "Dracula", "Frankenstein" and "The Mummy" from 2006 and 2008. Plus the various Abbott & Costello 'meet the monsters' flicks.

Though is missing "Abbott And Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde" (1953) which more than likely absent because "Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde" (1931) was Paramount, not a Universal feature. And the 1941 remake was from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM).

In an odd bit, "Jekyll" is included in "Abbott & Costello: Universal Pictures Collection" twenty-eight movies on fifteen DVDs (single sided). Streeted on May 6th, 2014 for $99.98. Though this is a re-release, the original came out on October 28th, 2008; same thing and (forty-four page) booklet sold for $119.98. Released in a DVD sized, steamer trunk package. I need to get this.

That particular 'monster' film has commentary by film historians Tom Weaver and Richard Scrivani. Kinda wish it was included. Man, I'm getting so sidetracked.

Back on topic; the box came with a booklet (forty-eight pages) covering trivia on each of the thirty films presented (in chronological order); "The Original House Of Horror: Universal And A Monster Legacy". Would love to have that booklet for my sets. All of these sets have the newly remastered versions.

Let me make this clear; 2014 Legacy editions (each) consolidates all the extras produced for DVD (and BD) into a single title for that particular franchise - a huge upgrade from the original releases. And no longer double sided which had playback issues on the '04 sets (sold for $29.98 each).

The 2014 redo of the Legacy titles is extensive - a must have for classic horror collectors. Sway.

This box came with an exclusive bonus, "Phantom Of The Opera" (wait) with artwork inline with the other covers.

Not the same disc.

Gone are various fluff bonus features from 2000; "Production Notes" (text based), "Cast And Filmmakers" (text based), "Recommendations" and "Universal Web Link".

The 2014 has a menu screen which mirrors the other newer Legacy screens.

AND is the remastered version. Top is the '00, bottom is '14. A huge improvement; colors are not muted, contrast fixed and a much sharper image. My apologies, not the best example, but you get the idea.

Should be noted that each of the '14 Legacy titles were also available as individual sets. These had an additional extra - embossed foil slipcovers ($29.98 each). Slips were not included in the box set.

Each title came with a small insert showcasing the new individual 'Monster' titles. The rear is an ad for "Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection" Blu-Ray collection box.

That entry for "The Invisible Man" took me the longest to get. Could not find in stores. Ended up getting from Amazon in September of 2016.

Didn't know until researching; "Phantom" was re-re-release along side with the box set, the same date for $14.98 - with different artwork - same 2000 disc. I thought this version was from 2016 with the Wal-Mart exclusive slipcover. My error.

As with "The Birds", I used a transparent case for this title. The original wraparound on the inside (to be seen) and the 2014 wrap on the outside. Inside is the insert and game piece. I kept the original 2000 gold disc, since the later DVD is the exact same transfer and looks... uglier, the pressed art.

And topping it all, the new '16 glow-in-the-dark slip.

By the way, "Phantom Of The Opera" is the only color movie in that Collection set.

And yes, this Collection will also be released on Blu-Ray on August 28th, 2018 for $149.98. The same extras and booklet.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Another sexy Halloween costume.

Oh dear - sultry skunk. Why? How low is your self-esteem when you consider this your seductive costume? 'I'm going dress up as something everybody despises. Man, all the guys are gonna have the hots for me tonight'; for sure. *shake head*

It also come with a bendable tail, but does it smell? Or is that feature extra???

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendation.

Just one.

"Dorian Gray" (2009)
    A solid retelling of the classic Oscar Wilde story. Victorian London; Naïve Dorian Gray arrives to inherit an estate, the sole good thing to come from his abusive grandfather. From there he meets Basil Hallward, a painter and Lord Henry Wotton, a calculating and decadent man. As a gift, Basil paints a portrait of Dorian. Upon seeing his perfect image he makes a remark about wanting to be as beautiful as this art - forever. A virtual deal is forged (with the Devil). Through Lord Wotton, Gray engages in an increasing depraved life; all of his physical self-destruction appearing on his portrait while young Dorian remains physically the same. Years then decades pass, he finds love with woman much, much his junior - Wotton’s now grown daughter, Emily. The secret; the painting (ever growing more hideous) must be kept from her, no matter at the cost. A tale of excess, vanity and power. Not so much horror as it seeing a man’s descent from good to wickedness.
    E1 Entertainment - 2010 - NR

Don't be timid, come back here next week for another chiller; it's ever so curious to meet you for diner.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Update - July 18th, 2018.

Can now confirm a suspicion on the "Universal Classic Monsters" set. Got my hands on the 2014 "Phantom" from Ebay, received on July 16th, 2018. Is mint, but needed a light cleaning and a new case.

- - -

Update - October 22nd, 2019.

Now with 2016 exclusives' street date.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 10-23-2019 at 05:38 AM.