Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Past Tense - Blood The Other Drink Part II

Tangent.

From time to time I wonder what could've been - the unmade Charles Bronson horror/crime flick. The Cannon Group project fell apart.

He's done a sci-fi/fantasy movie, "Master Of The World" (1961) and even a supernatural one with "The White Buffalo" (1977). Granted he did one other horror flick, 1953's "House Of Wax", but his role was minor. In fact he had zero dialog, played a mute.

There was however a horror vehicle in the works for him star in - Bronson was going to battle a legend - the clay man. Yes, that one. *slow nods*

"The Golem" was announced in the early 1980s with a screenplay by Michael Alan Canter (in reality it was just a treatment). There was even a trade ad in Variety for the production...

As you can see, a maquette of the head was made; no idea what scale.

It takes place in New York, a crime wave is hitting the Big Apple hard, especially in the impoverish neighborhoods. In one such place is an elder rabbi; keeper of the clay protector.

He is the last living member of an ancient secret society in charge of safeguarding the object; not falling into the wrong hands.

But with so much violence, some of which happened to him, he decided to use the Protector to save them. And so it went to work, murdering all those who are doing ill. The problem comes when the rabbi dies. Can't recall if it were natural causes or crime related. There was no word to rescind the order.

Now the Golem is running amok. It's up to a police detective (Bronson) to understand what is murdering all those thugs and how to stop it.

This was a precursor to the T-1000; it could travel through pipes as mud and reform to complete its task. I would've loved to have seen this and you know it would be badass.

Yeah I should, some could be in the dark.

Above is Bronson, he made a lifetime career of playing the tough guy who got sh!t done.

He really came onto his own in the 1970s and 80s, a middle age man who took names and bashed heads. He did not look like the stereotypical hero, but was the guy you wanted when in a serious scrape. A one man army, a vigilante.

Bronson did crime dramas, westerns and action movies. Some of them were so-so, but others were amazing.

I don't call this Tangent for nothing. *smiles*

There was another film with the Clay Man, "It!" a 1967 British semi-horror movie starring Roddy McDowall.

This tale involves McDowall as Arthur Pym, a timid, British museum assistant who becomes corrupted with absolute power. Pym uncovers the secret to controlling the clay statue to do his dark desires. Things escalate, resulting in a small nuke being used to bring down the soil automaton, which fails. And fails reason too - out running a nuke on motorcycle.

Man, that ending was stupid as hell. *shakes head*

Don't be so curious. It's a crappy flick; nearly embarrassing in its juvenile logic and wanting Pym to be this Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins in "Psycho" [1960]) wannabe. Like the motel clerk, he has his long dead mother in his home in a rocking chair. Why? It has nothing to do with the story being told. In fact, it's hinted since she was rocking that there was some kind of supernatural aspect at play. Which in terms of the Golem plot is true, but for Arthur's personal life...

No.

Anyhow, under this muck is a good film, better writing and losing pointless story lines. The Golem is a man in suit (Alan Seller), which is fine. But when he's not moving, you need a full size prop - not just having the guy under the make-up stand still which doesn't work since you can see him ever so slightly move/breathe. Plus have prop limbs for close-ups. You can see the rubber suit dent and wobble. But the overall look of the Golem is solid, it's creepy; created by Eric Carter.

There is another part that grabbed my attention.

And continues to this day.

Once Pym finds an inscription on the body, he takes a rub to a Jewish scholar to translate. First off, Arthur works at a museum; he should've known some department there to have it deciphered. Or maybe, just maybe this move was smart - covering his tracks for when he uses the clay brute. *shrugs*

This part - where the scholar (Richard Goolden) is concerned by what is brought to him, I enjoyed. You get a taste of what this could've been...

Arthur: You have it?
    Scholar: This is a most rare thing. I don't believe that you got it off some stone as you said. If I translate it for you, will you agree to tell me the truth?
    Arthur: [pause] Yes.
    Scholar: Very well. "He who will find the secret of my life at his feet, him I will serve until beyond time. He who shall evoke me in the 17th century, beware for I cannot by fire be destroyed. He who shall evoke me in the 18th century, beware for I cannot by fire or by water be destroyed. He who evokes me in the 19th century, beware for I cannot by fire or by water or by force be destroyed. He who in the 20th century shall dare evoke me, beware for neither by fire nor water nor force nor anything by man created, can I be destroyed. He who in the 21st century evokes me must be of God's hand himself because on this Earth the person of man existeth no more." Now, tell me. Where did you get this?
    Arthur: [long pause] I traced it off an old statue that came from Czechoslovakia. Does it have any significance?
    Scholar: Significance? That statue is the great Golem, believed to have been destroyed centuries ago. If it is still in existence. IF, I say. It is probably the most powerful force on Earth today.
    Arthur: More powerful than the H-bomb?
    Scholar: [scowl] A bomb is finished when it has exploded, but the Golem will go on and on... forever. Serving or destroying.
    Arthur: What do you mean, serving?
    Scholar: It will obey whoever places the magic scroll beneath its tongue.
    Arthur: Were does one get this magic scroll?
    Scholar: If I knew that, I would not reveal it to you. Power destroys.
    Arthur: Yes. I appreciate your help.
    Scholar: I fear it.

Think about that. *wicked grin*

It feel very much like that moment from John Carpenter's "Prince Of Darkness" (1987).

The possessed girl, Lisa (Ann Yen) - typing at her computer...

"You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost. You will not be saved by the god Plutonium. In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!"

If this was a better production, it would be remembered as a classic. No, I'm serious. There's enough elements here that shine through the mess. NOW this is a movie that screams to be remade, done proper. Hell, keep it set in the 1960s; it ain't broke.

Another thing that kinda bothered me. How can the Golem understand Arthur? He's speaking English; should he give his commands in Hebrew???

Hey!

What if, Charles Bronson fought the "30 Days Of Night" vampires?

It would be amazing.

And yeah, I know there is a German silent movie on the subject "The Golem" from 1915; I have it on DVD from Kino International. There were two sequels, "The Golem And The Dancing Girl" (1917) and "The Golem: How He Came Into the World" (1920). "Dancing Girl" is considered a lost film.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was a sequel. Released on October 5th, 2010, a direct to video, "30 Days Of Night: Dark Days" ($24.96) which took place a year after the slaughter at Barrow, Alaska. That cover is pretty crappy, like it was the preliminary art that somehow made it to final because someone was asleep or too lazy, 'good enough'.

Actress Kiele Sanchez took over the Stella Oleson role. While I would've liked George to reprise her character, I'm not disappointed with Sanchez. As I understand she wanted to come back to the role, but George had a scheduling conflict.

Sanchez side note, I wish her former ABC series, "Married To The Kellys" (2003) would come to DVD.

I liked it, lasted one season.

Stella has moved to Los Angeles trying to get anybody to believe her claim that real vampires murdered her town folks, giving lectures. In one such lecture she exposes some vampires in the audience. But her reveal gets shot down by an FBI agent in league with the vamps. She then meets a group of hunters who tell her that the vampyre queen, Lilith is in town, ready to leave for Alaska. Together they go on the hunt to avenge their lost love ones.

The sequel was made for $3,000,000 (estimated) and is based on the comic book mini-series of the same name. Mia Kirshner plays Lilith; most remember Kirshner as 'Naked Mandy' from the first episode of the series "Twenty-Four" (2001). I know I do. Anyhow, "Dark Days" was a decent flick, I own it. Did like that the vampires were as nasty as the first film.

Next month starts a new theme; "Agitated Movie Month". Films that ticked me off, things could have been a lot better. Come back here on November 10th, 2016 for a movie that nearly killed a franchise, bring bandages, dusty ones.

Have a happy and safe Halloween!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-18-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Credits
    Target - November 1st, 2016

Star Trek Beyond
    Exclusive collectible cards and bonus disc (Blu-Ray); BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

Outlander: Season Two
    Exclusive coloring set; BD only $29.99

Bad Moms
    Exclusive eGift Card for $5.00

Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders
    Exclusive... appears to be a steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $17.99

Credits
    Best Buy - November 1st, 2016

Star Trek Beyond
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $19.99

Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders
    Exclusive hardcover comic collection of 1966 and packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Outlander: Season Two
    Free $10.00 in reward certificates; DVD $24.99 or $29.99 BD - looks like the offer is for both formats

Credits
    Target - November 8th, 2016

Billions: Season One
    Exclusive packaging; DVD only $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 11/11/16

"Garth Brooks - The Ultimate Collection" box set with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $29.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 27th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This time out, you're getting a taste in your mouth, not to don't worry, the flavor won't linger, much - "The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor"...

The third film in the "Mummy" franchise; not gonna to count those "Scorpion King" spin-off (turds) opened on August 1st, 2008. It was made with a budget of $145,000,000 (estimated) and grossed 102 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts (nearly four times the domestic gross). The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "The X-Files: I Want To Believe", "Wall-E", "Step Brothers" and "The Dark Knight".

I'm going to be talking about the "2 - Disc Deluxe Edition". This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with two inserts; an ad for "The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor" the mobil game and digital copy instructions.

Something I hadn't noticed before; Brendan Fraser face on the poster - why does he look like a drawing then a photo?

- - -

As mentioned last Past Tense; November - I'm covering exclusives to films that upset me; every Hell won't say in place.

Welcome to "Agitated Movie Month"...

The movie streeted on home video on December 16th, 2008, there were exclusives. Bought this feature twice over and lost money.

The first was a pre-release, sneak peek disc from Best Buy. It was free and came in a standard DVD case; preview of TMTOTDE and "Hellboy II: The Golden Army". It was made available on July 22nd, 2008. The promo (for "Dragon") has a run time of 11:03 minutes.

You got an opportunity to get see "...Dragon Emperor", "The Incredible Hulk", "Wanted" or "Hellboy II" for free - if you bought a Best Buy title, part of a specific $5.99 DVD sale (twenty-two releases); came with a certificate code. The online theater voucher (e-Movie Cash), a $7.50 value was for one; window was June 13th, 2008 to October 26th, 2008.

Best Buy offered an exclusive lithograph for either version (single or two disc), $15.99 or $22.99. There were a minimum of fifteen lithographs per store. I don't own this nor do I have a picture of it. I apologize.

I made an effort to pick up that lithograph on release day, but they wanted five dollars for it if I didn't purchase the DVD. And I didn't think it was worth it. Now? I would like to own it as a collector, impossible to find now. *holds head in shame*

One of the final exclusives that came from Circuit City was a mini-CD-ROM (iActiveCard, a bit wider and shorter than a business card in size); browser based games. This was only available on the single disc edition and sold for $22.99. It was sealed inside the case - inside a clear sleeve with printed instructions.

Place card face up in the inner ring of the computer tray. Close tray for auto-launch. For laptops, snap card on spindle and close tray for auto-launch. Win-Mac compatible. Warning: Not compatible with slot loading CD drives, video game consoles or DVD drives.
    Access is nearly gone for most. I have an older computer than can boot-up Mac OS 9. That's was how I able to run and take those screen snaps. Before you as, not sure how rare that card is.

This is where my second copy was form.

Have since moved mine into a three disc case so that the card has its own nub holder.

Lastly was a bonus disc from Wal-Mart, this was also only available on the single disc version and sold for $19.98. The run time is 43:47 minutes (not forty-five as advertised).

Sold my extra on Ebay, it didn't sell well.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

*deep sigh* Let's be honest. This is crap on a cracker. While it did make a profit at the box office...

it is the sequel that killed the franchise.

Nine year later before another comes out - a full blown reboot.

"The Mummy" stars Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe and Sofia Boutella as a female mummy (probably best known as Gazelle from "Kingsman: The Secret Service" [2014]).

How terrible does that costume look? *shakes head*

As it stands, it has a June 9th, 2017 release date. The redo is set in the present by the way.

I don't have a problem with a female mummy. Women can be just as vengeful as men. I do have a problem with how cheap the costume looks. And with the tale set in the modern day.

Stories like this is about exploration - while the world was still new and uncharted. It should be in the late 1890 or early 20th century.

The story follows a Navy Seal, Tyler Colt (Cruise) and his mission in the Iraqi desert to find a group of terrorists hiding out in a bunker. Things go bad when a mummy is unleashed. Ain't that always the case?

But there's a twist!

Russell Crowe is playing Dr. Henry Jekyll. Yeah, Mr. Hyde will be making an appearance. Man, Universal desperately wanting a share cinematic universe for their movies.

I don't like that, c'mon, just make a better sequel. Is it that so hard? The remake is directed by Alex Kurtzman with a screenplay by Jon Spaihts and re-writes by Dylan Kussman. At one point Len Wiseman was attached to direct; director/writer/producer of the "Underworld" films.

Frack me. What is so foul about having a sequel? Has it become such a dirty word? Reboot. Reboot. Reboot! Wiseman by the way, directed the remake of "Total Recall" (2012). *sigh*

- - -

Anyhow, I wanted this to be a popcorn flick, like the last one, "The Mummy Returns" (2001) - while not as good as the first, was enjoyable. Man, I got mad watching this. WTF?

Why are yetis giving each other high fives (explain this to me). Why does Alex O'Connell (Luke Ford) speak like he's an adolescent? This man is suppose to have been educated.

Oh yeah, what the hell is Emperor Han's motivation? Jet Li might as well have had a mustache that he could twirl whenever he's on screen - 'see I'm wicked'. And a black hat just to make sure those who are stupid and/or ignorant will know, he's the bad guy.

The first two films had Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo) who was this badass. You knew he was dangerous. He wanted to resurrect his lost love, Anck Su Namun (Patricia Velasquez) by any means necessary. You can't reason with him. He was powered by love.

I am sadden that they replaced Rachel Weisz (above right) with Maria Bello as Evelyn "Evy" Carnahan (or rather now married, Evelyn O'Connell). It took me out of the film ('that's not Evy') and her fake British accent was Saturday morning cartoon quality, plus she did not have the same chemistry with her co-star as Weisz did.

Why was she absent? Weisz hated the script. She opted out. Plus at the time she was a new mom and didn't want to be in China for the production, away from her baby. I get that. I do. Filmmakers should've tired for a better Evy, not a discount store version with Bello.

Why did this suck? The use of the animated Terra Cotta figures feels like a missed opportunity. There should've been more of a threat, not as scenery.

This thing can be summed up by saying, 'stupid actions by all to advance the paper thin story.' The plot twist was lame. You could've seen that a mile away. Woh! Zi Yuan (Michelle Yeoh) is centuries old and fought Han into his curse. Color me surprised - NOT.

This had very few bright spots. One of them was actress Isabella Leong as Lin. But her scenes with Alex made me cringe; is he retarded? Their scenes should be shown at acting classes, what not to do, so awkward.

What should've been was a spin off franchise.

This film as bad as it was - did lay the foundations for something greater.

Rick (Fraser) and Evy worked as spies for The Allies during WWII. That's where to go. It doesn't have to be another "Mummy" movie.

Do another with those characters in an action, period spy flick, it could even be supernatural. Why not?

Lots of people were saying the first movie was like Indiana Jones, embrace it. *nods*

Come back here on November 24th, 2016 for more contempt with a sci-fi classic that should not been not disposable. WTF Spielberg!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-18-2019 at 04:08 AM.

Credits
    Target - November 15th, 2016

Finding Dory
    Exclusive steelbook with 4 lithograph cards; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season
    Exclusive behind-the-scenes footage; BD only $39.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available now

"Garth Brooks - The Ultimate Collection" box set with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $29.99

Credits
    Best Buy - November 15th, 2016

Finding Dory
    Exclusive activity book; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $49.99

Rush: Time Stand Still
    Exclusive store release; title available 11/18/16; $19.99

Free Minon Mittens with purchase of select titles

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 11/18/16

"Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger 25th Anniversary" with exclusive vinyl album $16.99

Credits
    Target - November 22nd, 2016

War Dogs
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $22.99

Finding Dory
    Free collectible figure; $19.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CDs - I'm under the impression these are out now (but could be wrong)

"Neil Diamond - Acoustic Christmas" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $15.99
    "Amy Grant - Tennessee Christmas" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99
    "Brett Eldredge - Glow" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99
    "Chris Tomlin - Adore: Christmas Songs Of Worship" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99
    "Ellen's The Only Holiday Album You'll Ever Need - Volume 1" exclusive store release $7.59
    "Leann Rimes - Today Is Christmas" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $8.29
    "Mannheim Steamroller - Live with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $7.99
    "Andrea Bocelli - My Christmas" exclusive CD/DVD set $9.99
    "Straight No Chaser - I'll Have Another Christmas Album" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99
    "The Piano Guys - A Family Christmas" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Credits
    Best Buy - November today, 2016

Pokemon: Diamond And Pearl Movie 4-Pack (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $24.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Monkey Faced Invaders Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on December 20th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

It's near the end of 2016, we bare witness of the near end of humanity with aliens who want to trash our lights in "War Of The Worlds"...

The motion picture opened on June 29th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $132,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 234 million during its U.S. theatrical run; worldwide it made over $591 million. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it remained at number one.

The feature opened against "George A. Romero's Land Of The Dead", "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", "Batman Begins", "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith" and "Herbie: Fully Loaded".

This film was released in both widescreen and full screen. I'm gonna be covering the single disc version. There was a two disc widescreen special edition. The single came with an insert; two perforated coupons - save three dollars off "Madagascar" and "The Island" DVDs. Both offers were valid from November 22nd, 2005 to January 31st, 2006. It also came with a cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound (FS and WS).

- - -

Welcome back to "Agitated Movie Month", where I cover releases that upset me; every Hell is still out of place.

This streeted on home video, November 22nd, 2005. There were two exclusives.

Best Buy sold it with an exclusive book, "War Of The Worlds: The Shooting Script". Well, not so exclusive, it was available at other retailers. The difference is size, the Best Buy offer was near DVD proportions, while the regular edition is what you would expect for a softcover book.

The 200 page tome included the screenplay, twenty-four pages with (color) photos and various Q&A from co-screenwriter, David Koepp; published by Newmarket Press.

The book was available to Reward Zone members who bought the single disc edition for $14.99, there were an average of sixty-four copies per store. I can not recall if the book was packed with the DVD or on a cardboard shelf, it's been eleven years.

- - -

Wal-Mart had the more substantial item, an exclusive bonus disc. It came in its own case, side packed with the movie - the full screen only editions. This set had a $14.44 price tag. The bonus DVD has a run time of 20:46 minutes.

I'm so glad the store outgrew that kind of nonsense, full screen copies with exclusives; they had a history of doing that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Let me say, I did not buy this when it originally came out.

When I did get it, it was the "2 - Disc Limited Edition" set, bought in June of 2010. Also bought from Ebay the stand alone Wal-Mart bonus.

I'll be honest, not a fan of Tom Cruise. There are only two Cruise titles in my DVD collection, this flick and "The Last Samurai" (2003). I am bothered by him. It took me that long to seek it out.

It was no secret that there was some conflict on set between him and director Steven Spielberg. Cruise set up a Scientology tent on site and wanted everyone to spend some time inside. This is a movie they're making, not a recruitment vehicle. I also know that Spielberg was disappointed by Cruise - his actions tainted the box office potential. Granted "War Of The Worlds" made a lot of money (as seen above), but it could've been more.

A particular memory that continues to haunt Cruise to this day. This was the movie that he went on "Oprah Winfrey Show" to promote - the infamous lunatic couch jumping moment; May 23rd, 2005. Yeah. This was also the time in which Cruise was parading his then fiancée Katie Holmes. The media was covering him and his actions instead of the film.

This was repeated at each red carpet premiere around the world. It was all about TomKat. Because of these things, this became the final Spielberg production that cast Cruise.

- - -

As I wrote, it took me this long to finally get the movie. It's a decent flick. Lots of WTF moments which made sense (the burning racing train comes to mind), I'm grateful, some planning went into the story. I rewatched before writing this up. I still enjoy it.

Man, I don't understand the hate for Dakota Fanning's character, Rachel Ferrier. Her actions were not annoying. She's a little kid reacting to a massacre, death all around her. What I am bothered by is her brother Robbie (Justin Chatwin). I just wanted him to die. I HATED him!

Do I need to call Lonesome Cowboy Bill to explain???

The little punk should not have survived. Yes, spoiler. It's a disservice to better people who should've made it, like the lady friend with daughter who they met at the ferry. C'mon, Robbie served no purpose other than being an asshole. If that was the goal, then good job bro.

Yes, I get it - he was angry because his dad (Cruise) didn't want kids and gave them to his mom. Sure, but right now, this moment - that's the man who's trying to keep you and your little sister alive, show some respect! It would've been a far better experience if Robbie has been written out. He drags the film. Made me want to punch him. I was glad when he took off with the army. Good. Die bastard. Die. No, he comes back at the end.

What the hell did he expect? Run with the marching army and they'll give him a gun, some ammo and a uniform? It is retard logic gearing in his noggin'.

Man, this is making me mad all over again.

I did like the updated death ray from the (non-Martian) alien War Machines. The effect was scary, zap - you're dusted. The sound effects from them carry weight. You do not want to be around them, shock and awe indeed.

The finale is pretty weak. Yes, it's true to the source novel, but it felt wrong - off. That's it? It needed some kind of harrumph, what we got was a limp noodle.

A cool ending would've been if Ray Ferrier (Cruise) becomes the Tim Robbins' character, Harlan - a paranoid, broken man. He screws up and looses both kids, he's gone mental. The aliens still die as before. It's only at the finale does Ray realizes how much his children meant to him, but it's now far too late.

That would have such a power to it. Ray is kind of a man-child, his apartment and car. Their deaths would've hit hard and made a great close - appreciate what you have, it won't last, it never does. But that would've been such a downer and doesn't equal a huge box office. Which is why I love Frank Darabont's "The Mist" (2007), that took balls.

I like this quote from Harry Knowles, proprietor of Ain't It Cool News...

Ray’s a prick, an arrogant overgrown child, he’s that guy that was the badass at High School sports - but not good enough to get a scholarship to go anywhere. I think he knocked up the High School Cheerleader (Miranda Otto) and she stuck with him... through his steel grip on his own myopic obsession with his lot in life. How fu¢ked over he was by the weight of her and those kids. He probably blames them for not going to college, instead of his own sh!t grades. He doesn’t want the family car, he wants his Mustang, cuz it’s cool. His house is a single "boys with toys" residence... Engine taken apart in his kitchen, nothing in the fridge, house a total mess. He resents his kids, but I think he loves Miranda's Mary... and feels shame for not being able to be the man she’s currently married to. A successful "well-off" emotionally grounded man that provides everything he couldn’t begin to. And it pisses him off. He feels his ex-wife judges him, his kids judge him.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-18-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Monkey Faced Invaders Part II

Something I noticed. Manny, the mechanic was played by Lenny Venito. Not the only time he's dealt with extraterrestrials (Venito had bit parts the first two "Men In Black" films). And he starred on ABC's "The Neighbors". He played the dad of a family (Weavers) who moves into a cul-de-sac inhabited by a colony of aliens. It's was a decent show, pure fluff. Too bad season two hasn't come out on DVD.

Also when Ray emerges from the basement of his ex's home, he see the crashed jetliner scattered on the lawn. The first thing that popped in my head: if Denzel was drunk and flying that plane, it wouldn't have crashed. *nods*

I did like the cameo at the end. In case you missed it, the grandparents in Boston were played by Ann Robinson and Gene Barry, the stars of the original, 1953 film. Nice touch.

Problems...

1. Robbie.

2. During the first attack, a man is seen recording first contact with his camcorder. How? An electromagnetic pulse occurred that knocking off all electronics. There is a brief moment of a man using a 35mm camera taking snaps - that works. True the camcorder scene is cool looking, but is out of place, rules-wise. Hey, seeing some people dying would've been a nice; dead from broken pacemakers.

3. When Ray and Rachel are in the Tripod harvest basket - falling from the grenade blast; the baskets are large meshed frames, cages. The basket their on falls onto an old, leafless tree. The branches would've impaled numerous survivors, that didn't happen. Everyone just walked away unharmed. How did that happen? There should've been serious fatalities.

4. Robbie. Yes, twice. He made the movie twice as bad as it is.

5. At the start, why is Manny so calm? Didn't he hear the nearby destruction a few blocks way? He should've at least asked Ray, 'what was all that noise?' Nope.

6. I wish the War Machines had the sound effect of the ray gun as heard from the original film - it's iconic. Sci-Fans from around the world know that noise and what it means.

7. Tom Cruise, but that was mentioned earlier.

The movie has various flaws, but none of them so great that they ruin the feature. Robbie, man I'm looking at you, you almost killed it.

- - -

Next, I want to address a problem some had with the movie.

We were told the War Machines were buried here years ago. The occupants rode or more accurately were transported to their vehicles by the lightening. The big question was - wouldn't we have known about the buried machines; digging the ground up for subways, sewers, plumbing and building construction?

My thoughts on it is that these machines were put in place, out of phase. A state of being, just outside our existence, there and not there at the same time. A stable of Sci-Fi from such things as "Star Trek" to "H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond". When the occupants boarded their crafts it became in sync with the universe and pushed the ground around them away, parting the earth. I thought that was clever.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Well, kinda. Not really.

Released on DVD on April 20th, 1999 was the first pressing of "War Of The Worlds", the original film, obviously.

It sold for $29.95, bare bones, minus the trailer. Which is another rant, but I'll leave it alone since a better DVD happened later.

As a cross promotion, Paramount Home Entertainment re-released the film as special edition on November 14th, 2005 for $19.99.

Bought this on street, Wal-Mart I think.

So? I really don't care for the new cover. It's okay, I guess, it gets the job done. The cover from the '99 release looks much nicer and the color scheme matches the 2005 advertising.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Something sway.

You're looking at early production artwork, the abandoned design for the Martians, the 1953 invasion. Freaky huh? Test footage from the ending was made, showcasing this critter; stop-motion animated by none other than Ray Harryhausen. It dying from our germs, taking its last gasp.

The man was an artist, you could feel the failing breath.

Have an enjoyable (if possible) Thanksgiving and if you're like me - a safe and fruitful Black Friday. It can be an adventure. Good luck.

See you back here on December 8th, 2016 for a more happier time, bring snacks.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-18-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Credits
    Target - December 2nd, 2016

CD

"John Legend - Darkness And Light" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Credits
    Best Buy - December 29th, 2016

The Hunger Games Collection
    Exclusive 4K Ultra HD BD/BD/DC combo $74.99

Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders (available now)
    Exclusive hardcover comic collection of 1966 and packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $17.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $49.99

Credits
    Target - December 6th, 2016

The Secret Life Of Pets
    Exclusive decor pack (4 photo frame & 4 wall decals); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Jason Bourne
    Exclusive bonus content (bonus disc, format unknown); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Master Of None: Season One
    Exclusive store release $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 12/09/16

"Sing - Soundtrack" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99

"John Legend - Darkness And Light" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - December 6th, 2016

The Secret Life Of Pets
    Exclusive "Max" plush dog with 4K Ultra HD BD/BD/DC combo $24.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection
    Exclsuive BD steelbook set $99.99

Mannheim Steamroller - Live
    Exclusive CD/BD combo $13.99

Ghostbusters (2016) (available now)
    Excusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $9.99

Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast