Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 14th, 2012 and March 19th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we get some cannabis, but it's purely medicinal *cough cough* in "Weeds"...

"Weeds: Season Two" was released on home video on July 24th, 2007.

It streeted against "Tod McFarlane’s Spawn: 10th Anniversary Signature Edition - The Animated Collection", "Benson: The Complete First Season", "Live Free Or Die Hard: Unrated" and "The Monster Squad: Two-Disc 20th Anniversary Edition".

There were three inserts. The first is an episode listing. Next was an ad for the companion book "In The Weeds". The last was a rebate for $25.00 if you subscribe to Showtime; from July 27th, 2007 to March 31st, 2008.

- - -

There was a single exclusive from Target, a forty-eight page booklet, a sampler of a larger publication, "In The Weeds: The Official Guide To The Showtime Series" by Kera Bolonik.

This came inside the slipcover, in fact the slipcover was thicker to accommodate the booklet.

What you see above is pretty much the same cover as the main book, just narrower (I was going to include the image, but it's the same picture). The book (288 pages), softcover was published by Simon Spotlight Entertainment on August 7th, 2007 for $17.95.

Anyhow, back to the exclusive, this set sold for $27.99.

I remember buying the DVD. My store only had four copies. And I got glitter bombed (not brownied). I bought this on release day, took it to the car to inspect. Removed the plastic wrap and opened it up. Splash. There was dust/debris; the plastic equivalent of saw dust. EVERYWHERE. I had to get out of car and shake it off. I took out the discs and wiped them clean (both DVDs were mint) and clean out the digipack.

Don't know what happened; if I was just unfortunate or if others had the same pixy soot.

By the way, am I the only one getting a creepy vibe off that pix? She looks sinister, 'take a bite'.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

This became a short PT, so I'm gonna beef it up. Delicious filler!

You think you've seen everything of a particular show, then something pops up that makes you pull a 'whahh!'

Like when I found out there were a string of "I Love Lucy" (1951 - 1957; CBS) episodes I never saw before; part a mini post-season, one hour programs.

I had another one of those moments in late December 2014, the 28th to be exact - that anal.

Goofing off, I discover something I never heard of before. A long dead show called "Dusty's Trail" (1973 - 1974; syndication).

What is it?

It's "Gilligan's Island" (1964 - 1967; CBS) 2.0.

You can't have three snakes in your hand and expect to make gravy.
    - Bret

Take the famous show's concept and move it into the old west, circa 1870s.

Not shipwrecked on an island, but lost in a journey; wagon and stage coach are separated from their main wagon train on their way to California. I'll let their theme song explain (written by Ross Schwartz; he co-wrote the "Gilligan" theme)...

Let's follow the path of Dusty's Trail
    Oh, Dusty's trail, Dusty's Trail
    A stage and a wagon a-headin' West
    Part of a wagon train lost from the rest

Dusty's the reason for their plight
    Thanks' to Dusty nothin's right
    Only the Wagonmaster's hand
    Keeps 'em a-rollin' to the promised land

Oh, the goin' gets mighty rough
    But they don't seem to mind
    It's Californ-i-a
    That's the place they must find

Deserts and rocks are in their way
    But they won't stop, come what may
    Mountains and hills that they must scale
    But they know they'll make it
    'Cause they just can't fail
    On Dusty's Trail

Who's in the cast?

You have Dusty played by Bob Denver who is rehashing his previous Willie Gilligan role.

Forrest Tucker plays Mr. Callahan, their wagon master; a.k.a. "The Skipper", Jonas Grumby.

You have Bostonian millionaire and his wife in Mr. Carson Brookhaven (Ivor Francis) and Mrs. Daphne (Lynn Wood); Thurston Howell III and Eunice Lovelle Wentworth Howell.

There is Andy Boone (William Cort) a civil engineer; a.k.a. Professor Roy Hinkley.

A country schoolteacher from Iowa, Betsy McGuire (Lori Saunders); Mary Ann Summers.

And rounding out the cast is Jeannine Riley as Lulu McQueen, a dance-hall girl; Ginger Grant

The show was created by Sherwood Schwartz. Yes, the same guy who did "Gilligan's Island". He tried to recapture his success with a reboot. Twenty-six episodes were made (though the original intent was thirty, but it got canceled), all aired. The half hour show was broadcast on 7:30PM on Tuesdays in syndication.

"Dusty's Trail" hasn't been seen much; the total episode number is low - stations prefer a hundred episodes for rereun broadcasts.

Oh yeah, those images above are from a YouTube video I downloaded.

The only characters with any depth and I use that term loosely is Callahan and Dusty. The rest of the cast is so ultra generic. Like you're watching the beloved characters from "Gilligan's Island" being played by models from the Sears catalog. They could be played by different actors each week and it probably wouldn't make a difference.

The complete series hasn't come out on home video. It has fallen into public domain. There was a DVD set (from Brentwood Home Video; 2004) holding seventeen episodes. It appears that the remaining shows have become lost to time.

This show should have a proper release by Timeless Media Group if they can find the remaining nine.

So what where some of these episodes?

An indian chief sees a birthmark on Dusty and believe the idiot is his long lost son. So what to do? Kidnap Dusty to bring the guy back to the tribe - to return to Native American life.

The gang runs into a traveling magician who gives them a free show. Why? Easy, the assistant is attempting to steal all their valuables.

Their small wagon train has taken a break from their travels. Gathering supplies Dusty discovers the gang is situated over a volcano, but on the way to tell his friends - Dusty fall on a rock and develops amnesia.

While out and about to Californ-i-a, they find a young woman. She is brought to their camp and odd things start happening, leading them to believe she's a witch.

Looking for a route through some mountains, the gang encounter a murderous outlaw on the lam.

Could go on, but you get the general idea. This IS "Gilligan's Island" 2.0.

In fact there was a "Gilligan's Island" 3.0 produced in 1982, "Gilligan's Planet" (CBS). A cartoon show by Filmation, thirteen half hour episodes were made - all aired. This has an official release; M.O.D. (DVD-R) from Warner Archive Collection in 2014.

I'll make it short; the Professor builds a rocket out of wood and various jungle items. The hope is the launch from the island back to civilization, but they end up being shipwrecked once again... on another planet.

Okay then.

One more thing. A conspiracy theory that the show, "Gilligan's Island" is about the seven deadly sins.

Skipper: Wrath
    Gilligan: Gluttony
    Ginger: Lust
    Professor: Pride
    Mr. Howell: Greed
    Mrs. Howell: Sloth
    Mary Ann: Envy

It kinda, kinda makes sense.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

You're welcome. Mary-Louise Parker as Nancy Price Botwin; season four promo pix.

Next PT will have an exclusive that's twelve years old.

A long, long road to my collection.

Have a hint...

There you go, the next Past Tense will flop down on December 22nd, 2016. And for your information, no Funyuns needed. But you can if you want.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-16-2019 at 06:48 AM.