Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Target - August 28th, 2016

CD

"Barbra Streiand - Encoure" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - September 2nd, 2016

CDs

"A Day To Remember - Bad Vibrations" with exclusive lenticular sticker $9.99

"Trapt - DNA" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99 (available now)
    "Amos Lee - Spirit" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $15.99 (available now)

Credits
    This unique deal is a great way for Herrick Entertainment to build on its entrance into the motion-picture business. My One and Only is a movie we're very proud to have made, and we believe that Target and Twentieth Century Fox will expand the picture’s theatrical run into a tremendously successful home-entertainment release. We’re very pleased to be in business with these industry leaders and to present My One and Only to audiences, both in theaters and at home.

Credits
    Target - September 6th, 2016

Now You See Me 2
    Exclusive bonus disc (Blu-Ray); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD available Sept. 9th, 2016

"Bastille - Wild World" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99

Credits
    Best Buy - September 6th, 2016

Now You See Me 2
    Exclusive steelbook case; BD/DVD combo $19.99

Now You See Me
    Exclusive steelbook case; BD only $12.99

Star Trek: 50th Anniversary TV And Movie Collection
    Exclusive store release; BD only $149.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD

"A Day To Remember - Bad Vibrations" exclusive store release $9.99 (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense - Hawkman Rocket Cycle Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on July 5th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.] This version was to have been posted on July 21st, 2016 (something came up).

This outing we save a distant S&M world from a mustache twirling tyrant in "Flash Gordon" (1980)...

The motion picture opened on December 5th, 1980. It was made with a budget of $35,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $27 million during its U.S. theatrical run. My data is limited. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week's ranking is unknown.

The feature opened against "The Competition", "Tanya's Island" and "Raging Bull".

This release (Saviour Of The Universe Edition) did not come in a DVD case. It was a glossy cardboard box ('Premium Packaging') which flipped open. Inside is clear disc holder for the single disc. No slipcover issued, nor insert included.

- - -

Best Buy had the only exclusive; two art postcards (5.2 x 7.1 inches) by famous comic book artist Alex Ross. The set streeted on August 7th, 2007 and sold for $16.99.

The back of the cards are blank minus the Universal logo stamp (with copyright year, '07).

There was a minimum of six sets per store.

Both cards fit inside the box which is good since many exclusive comics and the like do not fit inside their releases' cases.

Below is the weekly ad. I bought mine on release day, no problems getting my copy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Man, what is there to say about this psychedelic romp that hasn't been said (it makes a great companion with "Barbarella" [1968])? Well... how did this cost $35 million??? Maybe ten - fifteen is pushing it (in 1980 money). My vote is drugs... lots of them.

The overall designs are very utilitarian. You can't confuse this with the Ron Cobb constructions for "Blade Runner" (1982). Things here look like they're made from spray painted plastic, even the space ships. Sorry, rocket ships.

You gotta question if they hired a bunch of trannies, sorry fabulous trannies to do the costumes. 'This needs more beadazzling, stat!'

Make no mistake - this is a bad movie. But it is one of these ultra rare combinations where they had the money, the heart and the talent to rise it above their horrible gaudiness into kickassery territory. It's like, WTF on a massive scale.

But then a few minutes later - I'm okay with this, go on... pure cheese.

You don't see enough of this type of thing nowadays - presentation. What we have now is reinterpretation. 'How can we make this character modern for today's audiences?' The villain, Emperor Ming (played by Max von Sydow) was so perfect.

He looked like the old comic book baddie. I appreciate that desire to bring to the screen THAT person, not someone removed so much from the source material.

When I think of Ming The Merciless, that's who I think of.

Sam Jones made an excellent Flash Gordon. The man looks like your archetypal hero. The qualities/grace we wish to have under such pressures. Flash has no super powers, just his wits, will and physical strength. The underdog who has an abundance of moxie and passion.

Prince Vultan (played by Brian Blessed) is kind of an asshole when we first meet him. But later when the **** hits the fan, this is the guy we want in our foxhole. He is so goddamn, bigger than life. DIVE!!! Those big white teeth.

The rest of the cast fits quite well. Okay, Melody Anderson's Dale Arden felt artificial at times. Too much of a stereotype. But that's pretty much her entire career. The same kind of acting could be later seen in her TV series, "Manimal" (NBC 1983). Remember that? For me, she was the weak link, it didn't hurt the movie. But it could've been better.

The first movie I saw Topol in was the Bond feature, "For Your Eyes Only" (1981), I saw that at the theaters. He made a great Dr. Hans Zarkov. A bit crazy, but believable. I only wish they spent more time with the doctor examining this foreign technology; big ass buttons, dials and toggle switches.

*nods*

- - -

My first real encounter was watching this when I was in high school, sometime in 1989 on local TV; KTLA if I'm not mistaken. My jaw was open for most of the film. This is real, I'm not hallucinating. I recall joking with friends about it the next day, a shared surreal experience.

This is something; my high school pre-algebra teacher, whom I won't name, looked almost like General Kala (Mariangela Melato). Freaky.

Oh man, the music by Queen. There's a joke here... So very appropriate. Their theme song is so spartan, like the band half-assed it and gave the studio a quick demo of an unfinished tune and that gets used. *shrugs* But like all the crazy visuals, this piece fits quite well...

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - Saviour of the universe!

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - He'll save every one of us!

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - He's a miracle!

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - King of the impossible!

He's for every one of us
    Stand for every one of us
    He'll save with a mighty hand
    Every man every woman every child
    With a mighty Flash!

Flash! - Ahhhhhh

Flash! - Ahhhhhh - He'll save every one of us!

Just a man with a man's courage
    He knows, nothing but a man
    But he can never fail
    No one but the pure in heart
    May find the golden grail - ohhhh ohhhh ohhhh ohhhh

Flash!
    Yes, you read correctly, those are the actual lyrics.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Back on May 3rd, 2016, "Ted vs. Flash Gordon: The Ultimate Collection" was released on DVD ($29.98) and BD ($44.98) from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

This has both "Ted" movies and "Flash Gordon" collected.

This is a repackaing of existing discs (three in total), there is no new extra content.

I will say the cover art is quite whimsical and would make a nice poster. Can't be the only one who thinks this. Yes, I'm anal - so I bought this on release day. Why not?

What bugs me is that this release is weak on extras (Saviour Of The Universe Edition). Granted the movie is presented in remastered anamorphic widescreen with new 5.1 surround sound which is appreciated.

The bonuses are kinda related the kitschy motion picture.

The featurette on Alex Ross is nice, interesting. The interview with screenwriter Lorenzo Semple, Jr. is informative. And the film's trailer which should be a default on DVD titles. Even bare bone releases. So I'm glad it's here.

The first episode of "Flash Gordon" 1936 serial ("The Planet Of Peril") is campy nostalgia. Okay, sure, I guess. By the way, where are Flash's man nipples?

Having a TV spot for the then new Sci-Fi Channel series based on the concept is all right.

But the series was so removed from the source; felt more like a crappy version of "Sliders".

That's it! No further bonuses.

There should've been MORE.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-26-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Hawkman Rocket Cycle Part II

What you see above is the "Silver Anniversary Edition" DVD, released by Momentum Pictures on October 10th, 2005 in the United Kingdom for £19.99. What's did we Yanks miss out on?

No DTS 5.1 for the feature film.

Missing are two commentaries; one by film director Mike Hodges, the second from co-star Brian Blessed.

Why?

It's been speculated that Hodges' anti-Bush and U.S. foreign policy mentions on his commentary was the reason why it was excluded. Don't know, could be.

Also not included is a half hour interview with Hodges. AND a slideshow of production stills.

The last bit is different - the "Flash Gordon" serial, the first episode of "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe" (1940), "The Purple Death".

Who's to blame for the weak extras on the region one DVD?

Asking a real question - not a rhetorical query.

Fine, in lieu of a target; I'm pointing my finger on Emperor Ming.

Mwahahahaha!!!

Just so you know, he likes Latinas; especially the ones with the painted eyebrows.

The movie came to Blu-Ray on June 15th, 2010 for $26.98 with re-remastered picture and DTS Master 5.1 audio. And carries the same extras; minus that Sci-Fi Channel series promo.

Not sure when, if ever we will get those commentaries.

One other bit; "The New Adventures Of Flash Gordon: The Complete Series". I own the DVD set from 2006 (came with slipcase).

Now quite out of print, the company - BCI Eclipse no longer exists. Bought mine from Circuit City which also no longer exist. I think I paid twenty for mine - on sale. Now it's going for from $318 to $405, new. Not kidding.

This was re-released on January 5th, 2010 from Mill Creek Entertainment as "The Adventures Of Flash Gordon", stripped of all extras and only presents the first fourteen episodes; thirty-two were made, two seasons.

Season one was good, the second was garbage.

I have fond memories of the pilot episode/movie. I had to snuck out to watch. [nods]

Back in the late 1970s, NBC used to air (filler) movies quite late, after "Saturday Night Live", 1:00am. This was one of them. A cartoon. I found out from reading in "TV Guide". I remember waiting until it was on, staying awake and sneaking into the living room with the television volume on way low, just barely audible. It made it forbidden.

Later it became a TV series later, also on NBC.

It was not "Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure Of All" which aired in 1982, this was BEFORE it was a series in 1979. Which was probably the most faithful adaptation.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Glitter on the mattress. Glitter on the highway.
    - The B-52's

Italian actress Ornella Muti as Princess Aura (with just a hint of something extra). Sway.

Man, she seems to be surrounded by glittery pastries or diseased pillows - can't say which is more bizarre.

Should you perv; there's a topless photo of Muti in her prime on the webs.

At a time when "Star Wars" and its spin-offs have inspired special effects men to bust a gut making their interplanetary adventures look real, "Flash Gordon" is cheerfully willing to look as phony as it is.
    - Roger Ebert

War rocket Ajax will be dispatched on August 22nd, 2016 to bring back the next PT.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-26-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Credits
    Target - September 13th, 2016

Captain America: Civil War
    Exclusive digital content and 1 month free trial to "Marvel Unlimited"; BD only $19.99

Barbie: Star Light Adventure
    Free Star Light Adventure Pet with purchase; DVD $12.99 or BD/DVD/DC combo $16.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 09/16/16

"Meat Loaf - Braver Than We Are" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Credits
    Best Buy - September 13th, 2016

Captain America: Civil War
    Exclusive steelbook; 3D BD/BD/DC combo $27.99

Star Trek: 50th Annversary TV And Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive store release; BD only $129.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 09/16/16

"Taking Back Sunday - Tidal Wave" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $8.99

"A Day To Remember - Bad Vibrations" exclusive store release with exclusive lenticular sticker $13.99 (available now)

Credits
    Target - September 20th, 2016

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shredder
    Exclusive packaging and bonus disc (format unknown); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Neighbors 2
    Exclusive bonus content (whatever that means); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Beauty And The Beast
    Exclusive storybook packaging; BD/DVD combo $22.99

Credits
    Best Buy - September 20th, 2016

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $22.99 (looks like it come with two masks)

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 9/23/16

"Airbourne - Breakin' Outta Hell" with exclusive bonus track and poster $13.99
    "Green Day - Bang Bang" exclusive store release with $2.00 coupon for later album $1.99

"Meliora - Ghost" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks and limited edition trading cards $11.99 (now available)

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 26th, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

How well do you know your neighbor? Should you be paranoid? You might, if you lived in "Disturbia"...

The motion picture opened on April 13th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $20,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $80 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it remained number one.

The feature opened against "300", "Grindhouse" and "Blades Of Glory".

This release was case only, no slipcover issued, nor insert.

- - -

Two store exclusives; streeted on August 7th, 2007 - both were quite lite. One was genuine, the other was a trick - very misleading. *nods*

This was something I thought I had missed my opportunity. Did not know until days after the fact. Discovered from online message board. My concern was I believed I was too late. But I took a chance and went to my local store. They still had two copies, took one home. Sway.

Target offered a lenticular slipcover; sold on release day for $16.99. This was for DVD only. Sorry, I don't have the weekly ad.

Anyhow, this was an unadvertised exclusive.

This next is from Wal-Mart (same street date).

You see, I bought my copy originally from here thinking they had an exclusive bonus disc. The DVD came packed with this item behind it. The cardboard packaging is the same size as a DVD case, just slightly thinner.

Honestly thought there was a bonus disc inside.

No, it's not.

It's a cardboard case for a cardboard card that has a web address printed on the back of it.

I sh!t you not.

You're looking at that web page.

Yes.

I am.

That anal.

Took a screen snap that evening. Have no idea what that mobile content was, could be ring tones or such - maybe some wallpaper. There was something which I did downloaded.

It's a short clip of stars Shia LaBeouf, Sarah Roemer and director D.J. Caruso recording the start of their commentary ("Private Screening Intro_ipod.m4v"); run time of 5:11 minutes. The image above is blown-up, some, the original size was 635 x 321 pixels.

Why is here? I honestly don't know. The BD and HD-DVD releases do not have video commentary. Quite bizarre. Man, that's a great selection of goodies/candies for the commentators - I like me them gummies and Red Vines. LaBeouf, dude, what's with your hair?

What was paid for this craptacular Wal-Mart exclusive? I didn't write down the price and I can not recall, sorry. Lets say, it could be $15.96. But don't quote me on that. Oh yeah, that web address is long dead, I checked.

The movie was a blind purchase; it's a good, solid feature, part of my library, but I DO feel tricked into buy it here. There should've been a better description about what that exclusive actually was. As I understand, this was the last time they did that, misleading packaging. From that point forward they mention by sticker if an exclusive was internet related.

Sure - Best Buy also had an offer.

Purchase "Disturbia" and "Zodiac" DVDs for $30.00 together - must be the same receipt. *shrugs* Whatever.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant/Tangent.

This is a great example of the girl next door, done right. Ashley Carlson (Sarah Roemer) doesn't feel out of place, nor so improbable as the would-be girlfriend/love interest. I like Megan Fox, but she's done films where her presence is so unlikely.

This was great casting of Roemer. She filled the bill right. It feels natural. This simple fact is often tossed aside for most movies; having the female romantic lead, reality based.

I appreciate the effort.

Actor David Morse did a good job as the killer next door. Not an over the top role, muted, but quite lethal. He seems like a friendly, fellow.

A better pix of Roemer - as Carly Davidson from "Fired Up" (2009), a fun popcorn flick about cheerleading; quite quotable with a reality based ending, not what I expected. See the unrated version, raunchy without being repulsive.

Why is that balance so hard to find?

Okay - lets start here...

The Rihanna song "Disturbia" has nothing to do with the movie. It came out the year after the film was released and was not inspired by it.

Got it? Good.

Next IS about inspiration - the 1954 feature, "Rear Window". Yes it's similar, hell there was even a lawsuit over it. Well...

Let me take a step back. The '54 film was based on a short story by Cornell Woolrich, published in 1942, "It Had To Be Murder". The Sheldon Abend Revocable Trust sued Steven Spielberg, the studio DreamWorks SKG, Viacom (the parent company) and Universal Studios for infringement. This is for the short story - NOT the classic Alfred Hitchcock movie.

They believed DreamWorks SKG did not get the intellectual property right to make the movie. And evaded compensation.

The suit was tossed out of court since "Disturbia" had elements like "It Had To Be Murder", but it also has various subplots that were not in the original Woolrich story. It came down to generality.

They got moxy, I'll give them that. Not discouraged, they tried again.

This time Sheldon Abend filed another suit against Universal Studios and the Hitchcock Estate. Why? They had agreements made in 1950s that the story line would be restricted - allowing "Disturbia" to happen was a breach.

I don't know the results. Just letting you know it happened. Yeah, I should do that as well - for Millennials...

"Rear Window" tells the story of a news photographer, L.B. Jefferies (James Stewart) who is in wheelchair because of a broken leg. A leg broken from being in direct line-of-sight of a speedway car crash. He did get the moment captured (race cars impacting in mid air).

It's Summer in New York, a heat wave; Jefferies' stuck in his apartment looking out his rear window for entertainment.

A reference point - television back in those days only had three channels; CBS, NBC and ABC, oh the horror! He passes time being a voyeur.

Things go from mundane and comical to homicide when he thinks he spots his neighbor from across the way, murder his wife. Genuine or a misunderstanding?

He becomes obsessed trying to uncover the truth - all the while confined to his room and chair. Jefferies recruits his girlfriend, Lisa Carol Fremont (Grace Kelly) to sneak into the suspect's home to find clues. Things get out of hand real quickly and has a confrontation with the killer.

Yeah, like "Disturbia", hence the lawsuit.

He has no weapons to defend himself when Death coming knocking. The only thing Jefferies can slap together is his vocation - photography; flash bulbs, blind his assailant - hoping help will come in time (seeing the flashes out of his home from the undraped window), that was clever.

This is for folks who have seen the '54 feature...

What the hell is Fremont's problem? I'm being dead serious.

The age difference between her character and Jefferies is pretty big; not like a younger woman with a maturer gentleman. Nope. There is a moment where Jefferies has his shirt off for a rub down, a therapist hired by his publisher's insurance company.

That's an OLD MAN chest - as in geriatric.

What kind of serious daddy issues does she have??? He pushes her away and she keeps coming back. That part of the movie weirded me. WTF?

Just so you know, Fremont is wearing that get-up (above pix) in 93-plus degree weather; folks in the '50s were made of a different stock.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Another shot of Roemer as Ashley...

Fresh from her pool, drenched. Yes, I'm a bastard.

Next Past Tense begins the annual "Limited Edition Horror", Halloween related exclusives all month long, a new entry each Thursday!

See you here on October 6th, 2016 for the stuff of sleepless night (more or less).
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-26-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Credits
    Target - September 27th, 2016

Warcraft
    Exclusive collectible cards; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available now

"Lindsey Stirling - Brave Enough" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99
    "Idina Menzel - Idina" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $8.99
    "Meat Loaf - Braver Than We Are" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $14.99
    "Bastille - Wild World" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99
    "Barbra Streiand - Encoure" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $16.99

Credits
    Best Buy - September 27th, 2016

Warcraft
    Exclusive bonus content; BD/DVD combo $19.99

Star Trek: 50th Annversary TV And Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive store release; BD only $129.99

Star War: The Force Awakens (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook with bonus disc; BD/DVD combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 09/30/16

"Temple Of The Dog" exclusive CD + Vinyl set $16.99
    "Korn - Rotting In Vain" exclusive store release with $2.00 coupon for later album $1.99

"Green Day - Bang Bang" exclusive store release with $2.00 coupon for later album $1.99 (available now)
    "Airbourne - Breakin' Outta Hell" with exclusive bonus track and poster $13.99 (available now)

Credits
    Target - October 4th, 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse
    Exclusive 1983 Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters Yearbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    Free select Smartfood popcorn with BD purchase

American Horror Story: The Complete Fifth Season
    Exclusive collectible cards; DVD $24.99 could be for BD too $29.99

Preacher: Season One
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $34.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 10/7/16

"OneRepublic - Oh My My" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99
    "Norah Jones - Day Breaks" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast