CD available 01/20/16

"Kidz Bop 34" with 4 exclsuive tracks $10.99

Credits
    Best Buy - January 17th, 2017

CD available 01/20/16

"AFI - The Blood Album" with exclusive chain pendant and photo card $13.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Shake, Rattles And Rolls Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on June 20th, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This outing someone pushed the human race reset button in "2012"...

The motion picture opened in limited release on November 13th, 2009. It was made with a budget of $200,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 166 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts, $603 million. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "The Men Who Stare At Goats", "The Fourth Kind", "Paranormal Activity" and "The Box"

The DVD did not come with a slipcover nor insert(s).

- - -

Welcome back to Disaster Month. You know what to expect. *nods*

"2012" has two exclusives.

Target offered a bonus disc, but only on the Blu-Ray/Digital Copy combos, this sold for $22.99. The bonus disc itself was not a DVD, a Blu-Ray - the Discovery Channel special, "2012: Apocalypse"; it aired November 18th, 2009.

I did not buy this; not into Blu-Rays and this exclusive didn't have so much to do with the actual movie.

There were some upset folks since a few stores removed the slipcover indicating (by way of sticker) which particular copy had the bonus disc.

That's pretty low.

The second exclusive was from Wal-Mart, a book/movie bundle, both came inside a cardboard long box. This set sold for $19.98. The book isn't a true exclusive, it can be bought by itself on Amazon (for a penny - used) or such, "The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Extreme Edition", 176 pages, written by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht. Published in 2005 by Quirk Productions, Inc.. This I did buy this set (as you can see).

So? Is the book any good? I guess, but the situations inside are very outside what I personally would call my norm. So for me - trivial, but for someone else - could be life saving.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Say what you will about Roland Emmerich (co-writer/director); he is this generation's Irwin Allen; "Independence Day" (1996), "Godzilla" (1998), "The Day After Tomorrow" (2004), "2012" and "Independence Day: Resurgence" (2016).

Okay. I should

Let me take a step back.

Who?

For all those not in the know (post Gen-Xers)...

Irwin Allen (yeah, he looked like that creepy uncle) was a producer/writer/director of campy TV shows in the 1960s.

But he is also famous for his motion pictures - disaster flicks. His features influenced such films as "Airport" (1970), "Earthquake" (1974), "The Hindenburg" (1975), "Rollercoster" (1977), "Gray Lady Down" (1978) and "Condominium" (1980 TV mini-series) to name JUST a few. The man, made big calamity in vogue...

"Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" (1961): Global warming on a massive scale is occurring; the Van Allen radiation belt is on fire, Earth is doomed with rising temperatures. The only thing that could save mankind is an experimental submarine, the SeaView, but there is a saboteur on board - a zealot. On special edition DVD (and BD). The movie was turned into a television series in 1964 on ABC; ran four seasons all on DVD too. So damn cheesy.

"The Poseidon Adventure" (1972): The luxury liner Poseidon is impacted by a rouge wave, capsizing her. The survivors try to find a way off the sinking death trap. This was remade twice; first in 2005 as an NBC three hour event, "The Poseidon Adventure", aired on November 20th, 2005. Secondly as "Poseidon", the 2006 theatrical feature. All three are on DVD and BD.

"The Towering Inferno" (1974): The world's tallest building, The Glass Tower is on fire from shoddy construction; the firemen trying to rescue survivors are having a rough time, the building is far too tall. A solid story with good characters. On special edition DVD, two disc set (or single BD).

"The Time Travelers" (1976): Two men travel back in time to save the then present from a disease which bares resemblance to an outbreak in 1871 - a remedy was found then. They arrive days before the Chicago Fire, trying to solve the riddle before the city burns to the ground - with the cure. A TV movie/series pilot. Aired March 19th, 1976 on ABC. On DVD as a bonus on Vol. 2 of "The Time Tunnel" box set (another Allen show). It was talked about in detail in the Past Tense for "Custer: The Complete Series"; "Part II".

"Flood!" (1976): Heavy rainfall threaten to bust the dam above the town of Brownsville. It does, how shocking? A TV movie; aired November 24th, 1976 on NBC. The feature got a theatrical release in Europe. It's on DVD as an MOD from Warner Bros. "Archive Collection" (official DVD-R).

"Fire!" (1977): A convict on the run starts a forest fire to mask his escape, the fire goes out of control and is on the verge of consuming a mountain community. A TV movie, aired May 8th, 1977 on NBC. Also on DVD as an MOD from Warner Bros. "Archive Collection".

"The Swarm" (1978): African Killer Bees are attacking cities, small and large - including a nuclear missile silo. Scientists try to stop this new breed from starting a human holocaust, their venom is lethal. This was such a missed opportunity; the extended cut gave the impression that the insects were sentient, a mass hive mind. The extended version is on DVD.

"Hanging By A Thread" (1979): 7,000 feet above a mountain gorge, a tram car is dangling (the cable, snapping, one strand at time), ready to fall - the result of an electrical storm. High winds is preventing rescue. Eight passengers reflect how they got to this point. A TV mini-series which aired on May 8th and 9th, 1979 on NBC. Also on DVD, Warner Bros. "Archive Collection".

"Beyond The Poseidon Adventure" (1979): Rival salvage groups board the still sinking Poseidon to claim gold in her hold as well as plutonium which was being couriered. They encounter other survivors. On DVD, hard to find (now re-released as an MOD - you guessed it, Warner Bros. "Archive Collection"). When it aired on TV, it had twenty more minutes - not on the DVD.

"When Time Ran Out..." (1980): On a Polynesian island, a volcano threatens to destroy an upscale resort; guests and staff try to reach safer grounds as time runs out - just as the title states. Also known as "The Day The World Ended". On DVD, but what suck big time is that it's shorter than its VHS release, from 141 minutes to 109 minutes.

"The Night The Bridge Fell Down" (1983): A bank robber on the run is trapped on a collapsing bridge with other commuters. A TV mini-series which aired on February 28th and 29th, 1983 on NBC. On DVD from Warner Bros. "Archive Collection". The thing was made in 1979, but didn't air until '83, not a good sign of quality.

"Cave In!" (1983): The title says it all. But not so much a cave as it was a mine shaft with folks trapped inside. A TV movie, aired June 19th, 1983 on NBC. The exact same thing as the last entry. Made in '79, but not aired until 1983. This too is on DVD, Warner Bros. "Archive Collection".

There you go, you get the idea.

Here are the covers, should you care and for "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" TV show too. And those "Poseidon" while I'm at it. And yeah, "Hanging By A Thread" cover makes it look like a comedy.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-14-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Shake, Rattles And Rolls Part II

I really enjoyed "2012", saw this in a theater which no longer exist; a victim of the crappy economy.

Man, I had so many good memories from that place.

Anyhow, I would call this epic, very few films nowadays can have this sense of scale. My jaw dropped when I saw the Los Angeles quake.

When you think of massive earthquakes in motion pictures, that scene will top the list - carnage on such a scope it trumps the catastrophe in "The Day After Tomorrow" (a previous Past Tense) or last month's entry...

It's true - while a lot of rubble happens in "San Andreas" (2015), it was sanitized.

You see these big scale collapses and floods, but so few to no people in them as they happen. Sure folks seen moving among the rubble - post event. But not during the disaster. A good example of this is the crusie ship above.

Notice something missing? Where are the people on board?

There should be passengers, tiny people seen on that ship, moving, running - maybe even jumping off. Nope. YES, there is two folks seen falling off a crumbling sky scraper in Los Angeles, but that's it. In a movie about mass destruction, it's so bloodless, like making a zombie movie without gore - I'm looking at you "World War Z" (2013).

Let me make something clear if you're taking issue with me. I don't mean scenes of people reacting the event as it happens or before.

I mean, distance shoots seeing the full scale calamity; it's as I wrote sanitized. You don't see tiny people moving on the disintegrating landscape - getting killed by falling debris or toss about cars.

You see imagery covered by dust or water vapor before the wave, carnage is concealed.

I wanted to see bodies. For a PG-13 film, "2012" had huge losses of life on screen, they did not shy away from causalities.

The Los Angeles limo run had so many people getting killed in the background; blown-up, crushed and falling to their deaths. One in particular was a guy on the street who got hit by a run away truck. Bam! I was surprised.

Another was our heroes, flying out of L.A., there is quick shot as they fly by the crumbling freeway. Cars and bodies falling to their deaths - screams! as the Cessna few by. THAT is what is missing in "San Andreas". You felt it, I know I did. Frack me.

And lets not forget, California also sinks into the Pacific.

So many moments to freeze frame and WTFs?

So yeah, THIS delivered 'end of the world' goods, left satisfied.

The characters were serviceable, the main ones. Now I will admit this wasn't so with everyone.

Some of them were stock, cardboard people. A good example of this is Vice President, Carl Anheuser (Oliver Platt). And President Thomas Wilson (Danny Glover).

The man looked like someone's feeble grandfather, not joking.

Each time I see on on screen - my mind drifted to 'how did this guy get elected?' Did America want a granddad for President? Not saying that's a bad thing. There is a wisdom here, but it felt so out of place.

Anyhow, the movie got me to care what happened, which is what I want from a feature, any feature.

One of characters I wish was in the film longer, Russian pilot, Yuri Karpov (Zlatko Buric). He had nobel death.

Conspiracist, Charlie Frost (Woody Harrelson); his death reminds me of my old high school science teacher.

A class conversation (late 1980s), about what would happen if WWIII took place.

He said he would take out his cooler sit on his lawn drink some beers and watch the nukes descend, not much else to do. *nods*

Man, I remember the fervored rants on message boards when this came out.

Hell, it's still being talked about; 'but I wouldn't do that'.

The topic was near end - with the Arks.

The sealing of the doors, not allowing the workmen to board the ships just before the tidal wave approached.

Many were bothered, saying such a thing 'wouldn't happen' - 'too unbelievable'.

I disagree. Not all the Arks were finished - only three of the four massive crafts were ready for the End. By taking all of these people, you are decreasing the on board resources.

Much of the human race got wiped out by the virtual reset, there's no going out for shopping.

What they have is all that they have. Not that hard to understand. I guess saying that makes me a bastard, whatever.

It's cold, but true. But it all comes down to the numbers. The less you have the more your food/medicine/fuel will last. Why wouldn't the world's Elite try to increase their chances at survival - they paid for the Arks' construction for that purpose.

And let's be 100% honest, it wasn't altruistic, not in the least.

That part of the movie was the most credible. *nods*

Much like Emmerich's "The Day After Tomorrow" the finale isn't a happy ending. Much more blood will be spilled; war is coming. While the joint venture has a ton of hardware and resources, it is finite. The rest of the planet which survived the End won't want to share their food or people.

You see, they all were left to die while the uber rich and Elite had their luxury, mega floating shelters to ride out the death and misery in comfort. They're gonna be super pissed. And would rather die than share what they have.

Only one outcome - war. A tiny version that is World War III. Don't kid yourself; the film's conclusion is the calm before the next storm.

A quick addition before we close this entry and theme month.

Above is a subway advertisement from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the feature in 2009. How frackin' sway is that?

Come back here on February 2nd, 2017 for a Valentine exclusive with a not so spooky flavor.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-14-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - January 24th, 2017

Inferno
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo only $27.99

Credits
    Target - January 27th, 2017

CD

"Train - A Girl, A Bottle, A Boat" with 2 exclusive tracks $10.99

Credits
    Target - January 31st, 2017

Pinocchio (Disney)
    Exclusive 28 page collector's book; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Credits
    Best Buy - January 31st, 2017

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo $29.99 or BD/DVD combo $19.99

Pinocchio (Disney)
    Exclusive BD/DVD combo $22.99

Inferno (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo $29.99

Credits
    Past Tense - The Girl, The Specter And Detroit Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on February 14th, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

I'm shaking like milk. For Valentine's Day we get a spirited affair with a not so dead girl in "Just Like Heaven"...

Supernatural romcom opened on September 16th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $58,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 48 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week, dropped to number eight.

The feature opened against "Cry_Wolf", "Transporter 2", "The Exorcism Of Emily Rose" and "Wedding Crashers".

Did not come with a slipcover or insert.

- - -

There was a single exclusive, a gift set (a windowed long box) from Wal-Mart; DVD with novelization. The combo sold for $19.96; streeted on February 7th, 2006.

The book was written by Marc Levy. Published by Atria Books, 234 pages. It is a smaller softcover book, not paperback sized.

As I recall, this was also available for the full screen version - same price.

Hey, not all exclusives are lush. *shrugs*

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I own few romantic comedies. This is one of them. A blind buy. I saw the trailer online and TV commercials, thought I'd give it a try, wasn't disappointed.

Total fluff, some would argue the worse kind - pandering kind. *sigh* Don't have much of a defense for that. It is, what it is.

Sweet and charming; kinda predicable - isn't a bad thing, many horror flicks pretty much are clones of each other, the slasher genre comes to mind.

Hell, you've seen one car chase, you've pretty much seen them all.

Chemistry between the leads were good, both Reese Witherspoon (as Dr. Elizabeth Masterson) and Mark Ruffalo (as David Abbott) did their jobs. The humor was effective, not so much as laughs as it was a nice chuckles and smiles. And the ghost effects were about just as you would imagine. Well, better than ones from those "Topper" films (just show my age).

No real problems, but I do wonder why this cost more than forty-eight million to make? The only thing that pops to mind is the price for Witherspoon and Jon Heder participation (who was in high demand at the time). But even then, that's a lot of money, where did the rest go? There isn't many set pieces, the main being Masterson's apartment where much of the movie takes place. *shrugs*

Gonna pull out my Pig Card, probably offend a few. Not going to apologize, I own these words.

I do not find women with stretch marks around their mouth attractive. Yes, I know it's not their fault, they're a victim of their own genes. While Witherspoon is pretty and hovers on adorable, the moment she smiles, I kinda lose interest. The thought that immediately comes to mind is actress, Faye Dunaway.

Ms. Dunaway was decent looking in "Chinatown" (1974), but had the stretch marks. Man, seeing photos of her now or ten years ago make me cringe. Those marks get bigger and way more pronounced - that the future I see for Witherspoon. I'm talking about prominent stretch marks, not the tiny ones.

And?

I'm writing because of the DVD cover - you can see in that Wal-Mart exclusive. She's smiling and those stretch marks are present. Why? As you can see from the film's poster (where she is also smiling), they photoshopped it out. Why wasn't that employed for the cover? My eyes went straight to the stretch marks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Since this PT is breif, decided to do an extra write-up with a question...

With a long winded answer. *nods*

What would I like to see as a TV series? Done proper.

Only thing really pops to mind is the 1983 movie, "Doctor Detroit". I'll take a step back for those who have not seen it in a moment.

Much spoilers ahead - you have been warned.

The feature is about prostitution; people behind the scenes and chaos of doing the right thing; a comedy, quasi-adventure.

The movie is on DVD, but bare bones, not even the trailer was included. It should have the Devo music video, "Theme From Doctor Detroit" at the least, song is catchy.

Music video had a story; a futuristic editing room (large lit buttons, toggle switches, knobs and levers - I do miss them); the band is digitally inserted into scenes with the help of two Asian women, lab assistants.

DVD streeted on September 13th, 2005 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment for $12.98 in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 2.0 mono.

The story:

It starts with protection money/extortion in Chicago over high priced call girls, leads a pimp, Smooth Walker (Howard Hesseman) to makes up a story about a new player who has entered the territory and forced himself as his new 'partner'.

Mysterious fellow named, Doctor Detroit.

A lie told since he was about to be royally beaten by the main sex broker, "Mom" (Kate Murtagh). Walker owes Mom eighty thousand dollars, the privilege to work on her turf. Money that he doesn't have since he spent most of it; fancy car, clothes and a penthouse suite - livin' large.

Diavolo Washington (T. K. Carter) is his right hand man and driver. Smooth's girls are Monica McNeil (Donna Dixon), Karen Blittstein (Fran Drescher), Jasmine Wu (Lydia Lei) and Thelma Cleland (Lynn Whitfield).

Smooth and the gang decide to have some patsy to play 'Detroit' for a day. Someone that might buy them some time. Mom is a dangerous master and routinely beats her girls (and more) if they displease. Deadbeat pimps get it worse.

Driving the Cadillac around town they spot someone they think they can convince/con to play the role... mild manner, Clifford Skridlow (Dan Aykroyd); a professor of comparative literature at Monroe College.

The gang wine and dine him, even taking Skridlow to the penthouse for titillation - and pops the question.

He says "no".

After the decline, matters become worse; Smooth has skipped town, leaving the girls to fend for themselves, screwed. Another lie to Mom - Smooth claims that Detroit had taken his girls away from him. He's no longer a pimp since he has zero escorts. And with that, he ditches them with what remains of the money, out of the country to Rarotonga, an isle in the Cook Islands (South Pacific).

Learning of the betrayal, the girls plead their case to Skridlow once more - without glitz, they're in serious peril. Very reluctantly he agrees to do this JUST ONCE - on the agreement, he is not their pimp. And sets out to put together this over the top character (using college resources); a bad leg, messy hair, voice issues and a metal right hand - a James Bond villain.

A meeting is set up for Mom and Detroit.

The terms are simple; keep her hand off his girls. 'Stay out of my way, I'll do the same...'

Mom, if you want trouble - I am talking about scorched earth, no survival, wholesale destruction - body bags and fire TROUBLE, then you just keep comin' on!

Nobody puts baby in the corner; Mom retaliates violently; our gang did not expect guns. But to everyone surprise, Cliff rises to the occasion, bests Mom; humiliating and injuring her.

Done? Not a chance.

Things get further complicated as Skridlow needs to keep donning the persona as the stakes keep getting higher.

Diavolo and the girls prove to be an impressive resource, saving the day on a major fund raising event. Things continue to escalate as Detroit is expect to make an appearance to the "Player's Ball" (shindig for pimps); same hotel where his collage will receive the needed donation, they're financially strapped on the verge of closing.

And that's where I'll stop. Yes, the Doctor and Mom do have a final battle, a sword fight.

So?

Is the Doctor a super hero like Zorro?

Maybe.

Now that's explained.

I would like to see this as three season series on cable with nudity, there isn't enough material to go beyond that. But three is just right; twelve episodes each. Keep the show set in '83, no reason to change it. And without cell phone or internet as cheats, the characters have to earn their actions. Plus keep the Devo song as the theme song, a throwback as the show is.

Season One and Two: An expanded version of the movie; two ends with Mom getting arrested for grand larceny, our gang has a penthouse party, Cliff is done with Detroit - his true identity still a secret.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 04-29-2021 at 06:00 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - The Girl, The Specter And Detroit Part II

Season Three: Mom is broken out of jail, that night. Danger is not only restarts, but grows. She misrepresented herself, not The Boss. There is a master she answers to.

Final season is about finding that shadow person, stopping him before he can do them harm. Detroit unmasked the sex underworld to the public through Mom. The rest of the pimps were untouched; Mom had many criminal enterprises running.

The mystery person had been secretly consolidating territories, all of that planning out the window.

Revenge!!!

Mystery person was more than grabbing regions - was compiling blackmail material. The gang discovers that this includes compromising footage of a presidential candidate and illicit photos of senators including industrialist Harmon Rausehorn.

Rausehorn was played by Andrew Duggan in the feature; wealthy alumni who saves the college. Not here, I'll cover in a few.

Series finale is at the Player's Ball like the movie, but on a larger scale, more at stake than a donation. I don't want to say conspiracy, but really, yeah. The end is a sword fight; Detroit vs. Mom and the Mystery Man, a three way battle in the dinner hall.

Before the movie bombed at the box office, a treatment was written, "Doctor Detroit 2: The Wraith Of Mom" by Dan Aykroyd. No idea what's that is about.

I liked that all the girls were fully aware, nobody was forcing them into prostitution. Not stupid, no ditzes (not even the blonde), nor victims. Which was unconventional at the time, not Hollywood tropes. I suppose that upset some who didn't understand or made them angry. Each of the ladies WANTED to be there.

They are for the most part having fun, using their assets to make money for later goals; the gig won't last forever. The series will cover these dreams and how Smooth screwed them.

Walker took his cash and all of theirs, money they gave for him to hold; the girls are shocked - they're broke too, futures stolen; found out when Cliff goes through Smooth's belongings.

Thelma and Jasmine want to own a beauty salon. Not a common business; a two story, high end establishment, catering to the rich and famous with serious money.

Karen wants to own a decent restaurant franchise, whole thing. Hire a competent manager to run it so she can fully retire and travel the world. She has scrapbooks of places she wants to visit; posters of tourist spots in her bedroom and a box of postcards from exotic locales.

Monica is still considering her post-vocation. Not indecisive; she has ideas, but nothing she wants to do for the rest of her life. What she wants is options, options that real money can buy.

By the way, this is a drama with humor mixed in - the absurdity of the situations, NOT from cracking jokes.

While not officially their pimp, the girls feel that Cliff is doing the job of one; keeping them safe, allowing them to operate, a functional call girl service. When not escorting, Karen mans the phone for bookings. They decide to give a cut to Cliff.

In season one that would be a full "no", but not now; a small explosion at the Skridlow home, early season two.

The first fear is Mom finding out his real identity, retaliating - no. It was a minor gas leak; an undisturbed cigar left by his father to fade in an ashtray, resulted in a back end of the home blown. The rear has a large blue tarp covering the hole.

No money to fix the house because of collage funds trouble. Because of structural weakness, Cliff's room can't be occupied. Hush money was paid to keep that bit a secret, allowing his parents to live at the damaged residence.

Cliff takes the girls' money, hires postgrads students to fix the house on a fixed dollar.

With the home under repairs, little choice but to move into the penthouse (Diavolo driving him to collage each day). During this time, something occurs to him. Not of his own design, but this bizarre state of affairs has him considering his life.

Throughout season one; we are exposed to other professors and students on campus - Cliff's professional life. The fight over dwindling money has a cold fact thrown at him.

His position and tenure was gifted by his father, the Dean (George Furth) - nepotism. He lives at home for free, no expensive (food or utilities). True - he did earn his degrees and is qualified at his job. He never had to compete for that position, it was always a given, unlike the other teachers; that reality was never pondered until now. The call girl operation, shady as it is - is his.

Cliff decided to makes sure it's stable, for the now and later when he leaves. It means going through all of Smooth's books.

One of the good things from it; discovering Walker had paid the penthouse a year in advance. And the car is in the clear. But the credit cards are nearly maxed. The place has a pricey utility bill. Plus all the other things needed to run an escort business; fancy/sexy dresses and cleaning of said outfits.

From here, looking at their intake; creates a budget for daily operations (phone bills to gas money) and putting cash aside to pay for another year. The ladies live here. More than Smooth's bachelor pad, it's a home. In short, living within their means while keeping appearance even if it's paper thin.

To save long term money, he has the postgrads convert one of the smaller rooms for hydroponics; fruits and vegetables not wasting cash on groceries. As expected Diavolo turns one of the corners for pot, personal and business use.

He also invests in a heavy-duty washer and dryer, stop paying laundry services; minus the outfits which require dry cleaning. The appliances installed by those students - who are in the dark.

Cliff still does not see himself as a pimp, but it's obvious, his actions and assistance says different. We see at the end of season two; Detroit no longer needed, he's sad to go, but keeps it to himself. He turned the failing venture around, the enterprise in now in the black. Done by him, not his father's hand.

White lies...

Cliff told his parents after repairs were done, that the place he's staying has a non-returnable deposit. And decides to stay until the lease is up. The gang know that Skridlow's residence is fixed. But having him there is a good thing, considering how things things are going - don't ask. Cliff also told his parents the money was a bank loan - which why he hired students.

After a point, Cliff realizes that 'Detroit' can be MORE than just an imaginary pimp, that this persona could be a force for good. He has Detroit save a women's shelter from closing in season two.

In the film, once finished playing the Doctor, Skridlow returns the props to their home, the theatrical department. With all that's happening, Diavolo decides it's best to keep it all at the penthouse in a suitcase; change at a moment's notice.

It starts off as a joke by the girls, Detroit's wardrobe. The outfits gets louder and louder; each of the girls tries to top the other with outrageous pieces from Goodwill, saved for later Doctor use.

And should be noted that Skridlow uses some make-up for his transformation into Detroit. Not just Cliff in a wig with glasses which bugged me about the film. Also in that suitcase.

For the finale - it is the girls who save Monroe College, not Rausehorn. Learning of the dire troubles midway through season three (doors are going to be closing soon); the girls start fielding wealthy customers if they want a tax write off for a good cause. It leads one of them to donate half a million.

In the movie it's a one million donation, that felt odd; too much for mid-range collage, especially for one in the early 1980s. Half a million is a lot of money in '83, more reality based.

In the end, it is Monica that Cliff marries, not Karen. She fell into the position of being his companion and something more blossomed - a close friend, not lover. She got him and is a good listener who encouraged Cliff. Above pix, Cliff and Karen, that's Smooth on the right, early in the film. Yeah, looks like he's wearing make-up.

Because of Monica's encouragement, he becomes more loose and inventive; Cliff impersonating a Southern lawyer happens early in season two when Thelma is jailed for hooking - result of a job at a party gone wrong. Nothing had happened, yet.

Guilt by association; Thelma was with two other escorts in the bathroom, full clothed when the shindig got raided.

It's Karen who marries Rausehorn, here.

Why didn't the Mystery Man take out Detroit in season one?

Mom didn't tell; fearful to be excluded from the endeavor - money and power spillage coming her way, as long as she delivered the goods. Which at that point, Detroit had not interfered. Just lots of hurt pride; she thought she could destroy the Doctor, a notice to all those who go against Mom.

Back to the our PT...

Jon Heder was used sparingly. His character, Darryl does move the story forward with needed exposition, but doesn't overstay his welcome. He plays the same guy in EVERY movie he's in; actors Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera have made a career out of it - though many would argue they are interchangeable (myself included).

The above outline is a great concept.

Have a sway Valentines Day!

Our next PT will smack you with vengeance on February 16th, 2017, a budgeted super hero will not be silenced. Take that villainy!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-14-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Credits
    Target - February 7th, 2017

Trolls
    Exclusive packaging with content (bonus disc?); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Justice League Dark
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available now

"Maren Morris - Hero" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $7.99
    "Adele - 25" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99
    "Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99

Credits
    Best Buy - February 7th, 2017

Trolls
    Exclusive party edition; book and packaging - BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Justice League Dark
    Exclusive Constatine figurine and graphic novel; BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99

Credits
    Target - February 17th, 2017

CDs

"Fifty Shades Darker - Soundtrack" with 3 excluive bonus tracks $14.99
    "Alison Krauss - Windy City" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99

Credits
    Best Buy - February 12th, 2017

Underworld: Awakening (available now)
    * Exclusive steelbook; BD only $9.99

Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans (available now)

Underworld (available now)

Underworld: Evolution (available now)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (available now)

Resident Evil: Afterlife (available now)

Resident Evil: Extinction (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on January 31st, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This outing we slam evil over their wicked noggin' with a large red wrench in "Super"...

The motion picture opened in limited release on April 1st, 2011. It was made with a budget of $2,500,000 (estimated) and grossed over 327 thousand during its U.S. theatrical run. This was an Indie feature. The film opened number forty-eight at the box office, the following week it dropped to number fifty.

The feature opened against "Source Code", "Insidious", "Sucker Punch" and "Hop".

This release originally came with a cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. There was no insert.

- - -

There were two exclusives, both of them from Best Buy, which is pretty sway since it was barely a blip at the box office.

The first was a bonus disc, it streeted with the movie on August 9th, 2011. The set sold for $14.99 (the exclusive was also available on Blu-Ray for $19.99).

The bonus disc has a run time of 95:33 minutes and the gallery has twenty-six images.

It came in a two disc, a transparent DVD case.

There was nothing printed on the underside of the wraparound. *shrugs*

Above is the weekly ad announcing their particular gimmicks. I bought my copy on release day.

A pretty decent collection of extras.

The second exclusive is internet based.

Best Buy's website had a 2:14 minute clip (too short to be a featurette). Quick interviews with the folks who made the film.

It's free, I've downloaded it (with some effort), an FLV document. It was interesting, but parts of it are carry over from the bonus disc.

This is no longer available.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I'm sure there are a number of you who are in the dark. Okay. This is a home made super hero movie - much like "Kick-Ass" (2010), but on a much smaller budget. This isn't an action film, it's a drama with some comedic moments.

It's about a middle age, broken man; pushed too many times and takes it upon himself to make things right... with violent results.

Frank Darrbo (Rainn Wilson) works as a short order cook at a diner, a bland existence. There were two perfect moments in his life; the day he married his wife, Sarah (Liv Tyler) and the time he helped the police catch a crook (which was more of a finger point... he did it).

His dull life has pushed Sarah back into bad habits - a recovering addict. She left him and hooked with a drug dealer, Jacques (Kevin Bacon); her sugar daddy/supplier. Things looks bleak for Frank when he gets beaten up trying to convince Sarah to come back to him - beaten by Jacques' henchmen.

Recovering at home from the thrashing, he hallucinates and gets the idea of how to stop crime, stop drugs - get his beloved back. Do what the cops can't do - Frank Darrbo becomes the "Crimson Bolt"! But his first outing as a vigilante is a big failure.

Not detoured, he rethinks his scheme and takes a trip to the local comic book store for inspiration. There he meets Libby (Ellen Page), who is curious about him; he's not what you could consider a fanboy.

She helps him with various comic books where the hero has no super powers, but still fight crime. Crimson Bolt version 2.0 is born.

The second attempt is only slightly better, but Frank gets injured. Panicking with no place to go - he heads off to the only other person he knows... Libby. Frank is somewhat of a shut-in.

Crimson Bolt has made the news and she is surprised to meet the man, the guy she met earlier. Libby helps him recover and gets the idea of becoming his costumed sidekick, Boltie. Frank declines, but admits her superior knowledge in these kind of things - reluctantly agrees.

The problem is... she has issues, this misadventure is just an excuse for her to act out.

Not to worry, I haven't really spoiled anything, this is the set-up, much more happens. There is a moment near the end that is unexpected, it happens so fast, reality based. It's sad, but feels quite natural. The end is also so right, not a Hollywood ending; things don't always go the way you want. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a success.

Victory isn't about a parade or getting a prize. Frank finds joy and becomes a better person from his experience, made me smile and I'm sure you will too.

Lets clear something, a controversy.

Libby did not rape Frank. He even hugged her when climaxing. There is a moment where things got very heated after stopping some baddies (once they returned to her place). He gave in and had sex with her and immediately regretted it - vomiting in the bathroom.

The whole point of become the Crimson Bolt was to get his wife back. And now he cheated on Sarah with a girl he just met a few days earlier, this wasn't his pathos, an adulterer. He was suppose to be the moral compass; his world view is very black and white.

Good?

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There are a couple more home made hero flicks; like "Super" didn't get much attention, but deserve to be seen.

Released in 2009 from Magnolia Home Entertainment was "Special: Specioprin Hydrochloride (RX)" (2006). Les Franken (Michael Rapaport) is a fanboy who works as a meter maid, an awkward, quiet fellow with friends who work at the local comic book shop. Les decides to participate in a clinical trial of an experimental anti-depressant, Specioprin Hydrochloride. The drug has a side effect, super powers.

The thing is... it's all in his head.

He quits his job to undertake his new life calling - stopping villainy. This could've been so cartoony, but wasn't. Les has such a hole in his life that's so sad. He thinks, believes this drug is the cure to his situation - a way out of his monotony. There's a part towards the end when he realizes this world is a fake, Les has a breakdown in the bathroom of a convenience store. It's depressing. He wants to be someone so badly.

But when one of his friend is kidnapped for Les' drugged up acts of vigilantism. He has to go crazy one more time, become that person, be a real hero. *smile* This could be summed up as a dark comedy, but it's a drama. The arc of man who finds out who he is and comes out the other side, whole.

I do like the fact that Les' slap together costume is utilitarian. It serves a purpose and if you were to see him on the street, you might mistaken him as homeless, that's smart.

It's pretty obvious that Les is trippin' on the pills. BUT there are two moments that make you wonder if... maybe there is something more going on here. These are not from his point of view. Not going to spoil them, they are head scratchers.

There is wonderment out there.

- - -

The other is from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, "Defendor" (2010). Arthur Poppington (Woody Harrelson) is a mildly retarded guy who works in construction by day and becomes a budget avenger by night - Defendor. Unlike Frank or Les, Arthur creates an arsenal of home made functional gadgets for his alter ego.

His motivation is retribution, the murder of his mother by a man known to him as Captain Industry (huge misunderstanding).

The plot centers on a crooked cop (Elias Koteas) working with the Serbian mob. Arthur finds a friend in Katerina (a pre-famous, Kat Dennings), a local prostitute he rescues (which isn't so much a rescue). She gets entangled in his fantasy and things escalate quickly. Captain Industry must be stopped. It should be noted that Katerina does not become his sidekick, but rather a confidant, friend.

It's apparent that Arthur is somewhat handicapped. But the people around him don't call attention to it. He isn't talked down to. It could've been a cliché. Nope. We learn that he has had a hard life, but it hasn't taken away his optimism or good heart. He genuinely want to help make the world a better place.

A drama with some funny moments sprinkled. All three films, recommended; gems that fell through the crack.

Come back here on March 9th, 2017; yeah, I know a week late - this way I don't have to do three next month. Anyhow, guess who's making another appearace?

March brings the return of "Agitated Movie Month". More displeasure for you.

First up is a sequel to an beloved sci-fi franchise which did not care about established canon.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-16-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast