Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Target - April 4th, 2017

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    * Exclusive content with five interchangable covers; 3D BD/BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 04-06-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - April 4th, 2017

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    * Exclusive steelbook; 3D BD/BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Family And The Beach Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on January 9th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This month we venture into 'Kalifornia' *Schwarzenegger voice* and take residence in "The O.C."...

"The O.C.: The Complete Third Season" was released on home video on October 24th, 2006.

It streeted against "The L Word: The Complete Third Season", "Justice League: Unlimited - Season One", "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea: Season 2 - Volume 1" and "Beavis & Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection".

This release originally came with a non-embossed foil box cover with digipak inside for the seven discs. There were two inserts. A fourteen page episode guide WITH air dates. Good. And a ten page booklet, various Warner Home Video television shows on DVD (including an ad for the then new HD DVD format).

- - -

There was one store exclusive - from Target, a bonus disc - it sold for $45.99. Weird, I'm so used to having a bonus disc for season sets sell for $34.99 or less. But then again, this set at that time had a retail price of $69.98. The average price for TV shows is now $59.99 or less.

Sorry, I do not have the store ad.

The bonus disc came inside the box, inside a printed cardboard sleeve. There was some confusion over what the special features would be.

These are scene specific commentaries (by series creator Josh Schwartz with executive producer Bob DeLaurentis and co-executive producer Stephanie Savage - but not all together) for two episodes. The shows are fast forwarded to particular episode moments.

The thought early on was two full episodes presented on the bonus disc with commentary. Nope. Anyhow, the exclusive also has ten deleted scenes (presentation in full screen). All and all, a total run time of 30:41 minutes.

Did not buy this when it first came out... the exclusive.

Bought my copy on release day from Wal-Mart; late 2013 when the thought popped in my head. Man, I need to get this. Looked on Amazon and was lucky - found it. I didn't pay too much, the whole season package; ended up selling the extra set. Did okay.

"The Complete Second Season" had an exclusive as well, a 2006 pocket calendar; sold from Target. This set sold for $45.99. Don't have that, not activity seeking it. But if I were to run into that calendar, a swap meet or such. And if the asking price was a couple of dollars, I would buy it.

Don't expect to see a season two Past Tense entry anytime soon.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Okay.

I'm going to leave her personal troubles out of this rant, you can read about them elsewhere.

Mischa Barton, the actress who should've thought twice. She left a hit show, believing her 'yes people' that she could do blockbuster movies. Just like Bruce Willis who left television for a successful cinema career. The thing is... he's the exception, one of the lucky few.

A decision I'm sure she regrets to this day. The show lasted one more season without her. Would it have gone to season five had she stayed? I think it would, I really do.

Post "The O.C.", Barton did "St. Trinian's" (2007), "Don't Fade Away" (2010), "You And I" (2011) and "Apartment 1303 3D" (2012) to name a few, she's done a lot of flicks. Like...

"Zombie Killers: Elephant's Graveyard" (2014). *cough*

Not the hits she expected, just lukewarm. She also did "Assassination Of A High School President" (2008), very highly recommend. Damn good little film that plays as a high school crime noir - which coincidentally co-starred Bruce Willis. Barton was the femme fatale.

Saw a recent pix of Barton while researching... ahhh. She's gotten plumper.

Back on topic, she is just one of several. Names that pops up are actors Ken Wahl and David Caruso.

Wahl was in a prosperous TV show for CBS, "Wiseguy" (1987). He played a Fed working for O.C.B. (Organized Crime Bureau). Vinnie Terranova was a infiltrator, he got himself recruited to various crime rackets, putting bad people away. It was very cool and had multi season arcs (story lines), which was a new concept then. He got too big for his britches and left after three seasons. The final season incorporated his departure, what happened to Terranova? He vanished - so did the ratings.

Wahl's big film was "The Taking Of Beverly Hills" (1991). It bombed. Story?

Think "Die Hard" with a city - NO, not like "Die Hard 3". A chemical spill forces the residents of Beverly Hills to evacuate. It's not real, it's a ploy by bitter ex-cops to loot empty city. It's up to Boomer Hayes, a retiring football player to stop them. I still remember "Entertainment Tonight" doing a story on this big budget action film. He did another theatrical flick that bombed as well, "The Favor" (1994).

The bright side, there was a story resolution, a TV movie, "Wiseguy" (1996) for ABC. It picks up years after the end of the series. This IS what happened to Terranova. It reunited the cast, most sway. Super rare, few former shows get that kind of closure. This was his final film. No, he's not dead - retired.

The man had an alcohol problem. But that wasn't the reason he left his series.

I am bummed. "Wiseguy" was an awesome show. We still don't have full seasons on DVD. What has been released had most of the music replaced, plus it is only a couple of the story arcs. The one involving Dead Dog Records (my favorite) hasn't be released due to music rights, the episodes featured lots of popular songs. One of these days the show will get a proper home video release. Hell, if they can put out "China Beach" (ABC, 1988) why not "Wiseguy"?

What set that show so apart of many TV programs (of its day and good chuck of now) is that the characters were so three dimensional. Nobody was pure evil or good. Everybody was shades of gray, especially our hero. He became good friends with the man he was trying to put away, Sonny Steelgrave (Ray Sharkey); that man's death haunts him. Yes, he was a mobster, but it should've gone done different - like Vinnie stabbed him in the back.

Next on the parade, David Caruso. He was on a the hit show for ABC, "NYPD Blue". He played Detective John Kelly. He left shortly after the second season began. 'I'm gonna be famous!' He did a few movies that barely made a blip such as "Jade" (1995) and "Cold Around The Heart" (1997).

The main difference, Caruso beat the odds and found himself on another hit series as Lieutenant Horatio Caine for CBS, "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation". The man has been on the show for a decade, 2002 - 2012; ride that gravy train. *nods*

I could go on with Julianna Margulies. You get the idea.

Barton should've stayed.

But... she does have a history. 2009 - she received a 5150 from Cedars Sinai hospital in Los Angeles. The code is for involuntary hold for someone who is a danger to themselves. Later claimed her two week psychiatric detention was over her removed wisdom teeth weeks earlier.

I had infections and I couldn't eat anything except Slush Puppies for three months and I can't tell you how awful it was. Anyway, I'd had enough and I went to the hospital. I was in a lot of pain and if they feel you are depressed or a danger to yourself they can hold you on a 5150. I am terrified of needles and they wanted to pump me full of drugs and I said, "No, absolutely not. I don't want to be here", and got into a fight with the nurses and the led to my 5150.
    - Mischa Barton

Nothing but Slush Puppies for three months, that does sound crazy!

Not the last 5150; January 26th of this year; she started screaming at her neighbors in West Hollywood. Rambling that her mother is a witch, the Earth is shattering among other pronouncements, such as Ziggy Stardust. Police were called in and she was taken away, voluntarily. Not before saying this...

Oh my God, it's over! I feel it, and it's angry!
    Man, that has a Lovecraftian flavor; Elder Gods can be such a bitch.

The answer was sinister. The night earlier was her 31st birthday; she and her friends were out celebrating. Tests done while she was held revealed GHB in her system - someone had given her the 'date rape' drug in a drink.

This is a lesson to all young women out there, be aware of your surroundings.
    Barton recovered and was released.

By the way, her character lesbian fling with Alex Kelly (Olivia Wilde) wasn't as good as it could've been. Not talking about on screen scissoring; the relationship felt forced.

Hey! Why didn't anybody make a ruckus about that???

Wouldn't it been statutory rape? Alex is an adult and Marissa is still a teen.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-05-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Family And The Beach Part II

A discontinuity. How old is Kaitlin Cooper suppose to be?

Marissa's little sister...

By the way, that actress was fifteen in the above left pix - just so you know. Can now be seen on The CW's "Arrow" as Thea Queen/Speedy.

In season one (played by Shailene Woodley - known for "The Divergent" franchise), she is revealed to be in the fifth grade, sent off to a private institution, "The Knightly School". But in season three we are told she (now played by Willa Holland, above) is on the verge of turning fifteen.

But if that were the case she would've been in the seventh grade during season one.

In season three, Ryan Atwood (Benjamin McKenzie) says he hadn't seen Kaitlin since she was eleven.

A further problem... as mentioned, she was fourteen, but in the episode "The Pot Stirrer" (January 26th, 2006), she celebrates her fifteenth birthday, a year later. Kaitlin Cooper should be sixteen at this point. What the frack?

Gonna to lay the whole blame on Atwood.

Still heartbroken over Marissa's death (car crash), his true love. Taylor Townsend (Autumn Reeser) was a fling.

As seen in the series finale, set in the unspecified future; Ryan is now an architect. Here at this point in his life; he stumbles onto the blueprints of a temporal displacement apparatus. How?

Rather than saying a wizard did it - this scenario:

Ryan found the plans, dusty in an unknown man's empty apartment - a complex being ready for demolition to rebuild as low income housing for the elderly. He ponders the discovery and has the machine built. It's now a matter of changing the past to bring Marissa back to life.

The question is how far?

The self-destructive path she was on would've gotten her killed at a later point. Or perhaps it already did, repeatedly - just ask Alexander Hartdegen (Guy Pearce, "The Time Machine" [2002], previous Past Tense).

He goes earlier into Marissa's life - to her childhood to prevent her broken psyche from forming. This may have been before Kaitlin born or even conceived. These changes altered her existence.

We the audience are the only ones who notice the change as we are outside of the reality being shown.

This would explain the difference in appearance of Kaitlin. Different sperm/fertilized egg = different girl - same family.

Or perhaps Ryan, masquerading as a school official; convinces Jimmy (Tate Donovan) and Julie (Melinda Clarke) Cooper that Marissa needs to see a child psychologist, which leads them to rethink about having a second child. An event which now happens a few years later than the original time line.

The implication is that he failed - Marissa remains dead. How many times did he try? And was the old man's apartment... Ryan's?

Oh yeah and at some point SkyNet becomes sentient. Not such much about Kaitlin as it is about Judgment Day. But that could fall on the feet of Andy Goode, it's all fuzzy since it has become so convoluted. *shakes fist at SkyNet*

Food for thought.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

I became aware of in December of 2013. I've seen the movie more times than I can shake a stick at, "John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13" (1976); an homage to Rio Bravo" (1959), if you like.

Why didn't I notice this before?

There is a scene were two of the convicts are deciding who will leave the station to get help for the under siege police precinct; through the sewer, out the street and hot-wire a car. The men, Wells (Tony Burton) and Napoleon Wilson (Darwin Joston) play a game to decide who will go on the suicide mission - the Potato Game.

The moment happens at 1:11:22 minutes.

One potato, two potato, three potatoes, four. Five potato, six potatoes, seven potatoes, more. Eight potatoes, nine potatoes - September 11. Kiss my ass and go the heaven. Y-O-U spells You. I told you, I'd loose. God damn it, we're gonna do it again.
    The DVD subtitles read "Eight potatoes, nine potatoes, ten potatoes, eleven".

No.

'Ten potatos', does not sound like 'September'. I've listened to the thing several times. The men clearly say "September".

Go to YouTube, type in "Assault On Precinct 13 - John Carpenter Remix" in search. Or if you know how, "qgDtPdpo8EU". It's still there (as of writing), I checked. Uploaded on January 3rd, 2012 by lztybrn01. It's a fan made remix of the Carpenter electronic score. It's a good job. The piece includes dialog from the film - including the Potato Game at the end.

Tell me they're not saying "September".

Sure. This too.

In 2013, I watched the sci-fi action flick, "Lockout" (2012). There's a scene where our hero, Snow (Guy Pearce) give advice to person he's trying to rescue:

You're a big girl, right? Here's an apple and a gun. Don't talk to strangers - shoot them.
    The first thing that popped in my head was Napoleon Wilson.

Can totally see him here.

Wilson was on death row (California) before the siege took place. He gets an offer to skip his death sentence if he volunteers for a cryogenics project; frozen for a decade and be given a pardon. To see if the technology will work - might kill him.

He takes the offer.

They broke their word; budget cuts and politics have left him in cryo for the past 103 years. It's now 2079. He wakes up with a new offer...

Criminal mastermind Alex (Vincent Regan), has overtaken the orbital prison (MS [Maximum Security] One) with hostages and access to the was - secure Government network. Anyone they'll send up to infiltrate can be ID. But Wilson pre-dates their database, he's an unknown.

Rescue the President's daughter, get a pardon. I can imagine him adjusting to future technology and seeing some things - never change.

Yes this is like another Carpenter flick, "Escape From New York" (1981). Yeah... but so is "Lockout".

- - -

Would love to see a retro-show; "The O.C." the early days, set in the 1980s when Sandy, Kirsten, Julie and Jimmy were in high school. They did a prequel series to "Sex And The City" (1998), the former CW show, "The Carrie Diaries" (2013).

I would watch that. Granted, Sandy didn't know Kirsten in high school, they met in college, but their paths could've crossed in other ways.

Did learn while researching, series creator, Josh Schwartz was toying with the idea of a spin off shows based around Anna Stern (Samaire Armstrong) and another on Kaitlin's life at boarding school. This is where things get a bit fuzzy.

Was a pilot episode made of the latter? It was suppose to have aired January 2006.

There was a musical based on the show at the Montalban Theater in Los Angeles on August 30, 2015. Not official, but supported by the show's cast and producers.

And there it is. Another time filler - fit for snackin'. I guarantee, zero nutritional value. The next PT hits the webs on April 20th, 2017 with another slice of Kalifornia.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-05-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - April 9th, 2017

Fast And Furious: The Ultimate Ride Collection (available now)
    Exclusive key chain; BD only $49.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CDs available now

"Steel Panther - Lower The Bar" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks and lenticular cover $11.99
    "Paul McCartney - Fowers In The Dirt" with exclusive 7" vinyl single CD set $18.99

Credits
    Target - April 18th, 2017

Teen Titans: Judas Contract
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $16.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD available 04/21/17

"Sheryl Crow - Be Myself" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on January 23rd, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Still enjoying that ocean view in "The O.C."...

"The O.C.: The Complete Fourth Season" was released on home video on May 22nd, 2007.

It streeted against "Letters From Iwo Jima", "Scrubs: The Complete Fifth Season" and "Apocalypto".

This release originally came with a non-embossed slipcover with digipak for the five discs. There were two inserts. A ten page episode guide with air dates. And a ten page booklet, various Warner Home Video television shows on DVD.

- - -

As with season three, Target had a bonus disc - this time with exclusive packaging, foil slipcover for the digipak.

Sold for $42.99.

Should be noted, the regular edition sold for $38.99 on street. Folks were upset about the price difference.

Bought mine on release day.

Do not have the weekly ad.

Bonus disc came in a printed cardboard sleeve inside.

A run time of 62:35 minutes.

That exclusive cover image was a discarded pix.

I can see why Warner Home Video rejected it.

Above is the regular box. As you can see on the Target cover - the image is quite photo shopped.

As if each were photographed separately and composited.

- - -

On November 27th, 2007 for $179.98, you could own "The O.C.: The Complete Series Collection".

The set (housed in an acrylic case - not shown) has some exclusive content. But if you already own the two Target bonus discs, it's redundant - those extras carried over. But it does offer two genuine exclusives...

A gag reel (bloopers) for season four. Saw it on YouTube, you're not missing much. Most of it feels like filler.

The second, I wish I had...

Since season two till its end - was broadcast in widescreen. Season one was full screen. This box presents season one in wide. From what I've read; remastered in widescreen. What does that mean? Did they clip from the top and bottom to make it wide? Don't know. I would like to take some screen shots and compare, but I don't own.

As with popular TV shows on home video, they get re-released. On July 3rd, 2012; season one hit stores again, now in a standard case; retailed for $49.98. I was hoping this would resolve the matter for fans who didn't buy the complete series.

Nope.

Same as the first pressing - full screen only, that was a missed opportunity.

Before you ask - each of the discs for season one (box set) have the same extras as the first pressing. The only difference is that it's now wide; same number of discs too.

The collection's twenty-eight discs are held inside pockets on each of the card stock pages (seen above). As you can image each can become scratched, it's poorly designed. Plus the materials used were cheap. The book rips and tears easily.

For that price, you would think they would use better components. Nope. Lots of folks who have have complained.

Ran into this collection a couple of times at swap meets, examined the package. Man, this was made poorly. Would've bought, but those sellers wanted too much.

Before I knew about the matter, I wanted. I recall the box at my local Best Buy; the store had three copies. Since the protective case is clear, you can see the book within (lenticular cover). Each of the (still sealed) copies were torn.

You read right, pre-damaged, guess, you could call that a bonus.

Reminds me of the mess Paramount Home Entertainment had with "The Wild Wild West" (first pressing). "The Wild Wild West: The Complete TV Series" streeted on November 4th, 2008 for $129.98. Disc storage was worse.

Nearly each of the twenty-seven DVDs were scratched. Some so bad they couldn't play. The disc were held inside two cardboard saddles. Zero effort was made to insure safety. The mock saddles didn't cover the discs all the way; DVDs were touching each other and slid. Don't believe me? Read the reviews.

Earlier this year I finally added season four; now own the entire series. But there is something I want from the terrible box. The set had an exclusive disc, the two TV movie sequels; "The Wild Wild West Revisited" (1979) and "More Wild Wild West" (1980).

I want that disc. If scratched, can send it off to a guy who does professional disc resurfacings; making it look new. Take that DVD in a CD envelope and insert into season four. Poof! Complete series.

As mentioned in the Past Tense for Déjà Vu; "The Wild Wild West" is a 1960s, steampunk show. Back when that wasn't even a term.

Created during the James Bond boom. CBS wanted a spy (gadget filled) series and a Western which all the rage. This was a mash-up (sometimes sci-fi); spies in the Old West. Season one was black and white and didn't really rely on much gimmicks.

Only season one DVD has special features, the rest are bare bones - episodes remastered. And unlike the 1999 movie of the same name was good; hell even Will Smith has pretty much disowned that.

That WWW box also came with a paperback with complete episode guide, would like to have that too.

It was re-released on May 12th, 2015 for $79.99, minus that bonus disc and guide - in a thick DVD case.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Back on topic.

Target bonus has all fourteen webisodes of "Atomic County"; the animated series based on the comic book within the series by Seth Cohen (Adam Brody). The episodes are short, roughly five minutes each. None of actors voiced their animated alter egos.

The gang (left to right); Kid Chino, The Ironist, Cosmolass and Lil' Miss Vixen.

Man, it's too bad there won't be any more. The character spoofs were pretty dead-on. This could've taken a life of its own. I would watch a half hour series. There was potential. As I understand, these shows were for sale on iTunes store back in the day. Don't know how much.

The Ironist, team leader; zero super powers other than his quick wit. He does however uses some gadgets to make up the difference.
    Kid Chino has two indestructible gauntlets and can punch hard, real hard; has super strength.
    Cosmolass (known in fictitious comic as Cosmo Girl) has a magical pink liquid she drinks from a flask she keeps. It gives her short lived blast powers and agility. But if she drinks too much of it, which she usually does, it makes her drunk and vomit - which also can be used as a projectile. She has a car, the Cosmobile.
    Lil' Miss Vixen (known as Little Miss Vixen in said comic) has razor sharp credit cards that she uses like ninja stars and rides around in an invisible scooter. She's acrobatic.

You could call this season one. The episodes expanded their world with The Coalition Of Doom, the baddies. The open credits music was so perfect, "Invincible" by OK Go. It was lightening in a jar in my opinion.

Season One also featured other alter egos from the show; the characters of Anna Stern (as Punky Spitfire), Sandy Cohen (as The Litigator), Kirsten Cohen (as The Ice Queen) and Luke Ward (as All American Boy). As I wrote, there was potential for something beyond five minute installments.

Missed opportunity; no video game based on "Atomic County". Could've been sway.

Or an actual comic book.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Here's Rachel Bilson as Summer Roberts dressed up as Little Miss Vixen ("The Showdown"; May 5th, 2005) and her animated alter ego.

Did not forget.

Not the first time Summer cosplayed.

For "The Best Chrismukkah Ever" (December 3rd, 2003) she was an Amazonian princess.

Dressed up as Wonder Woman. Could someone explain why there is no wide shots of her in costume? The camera pans up on a close-up. Great legs, true, but I would've like - as many others, seen her in all her glory.

Doing this Past Tense makes me want to rewatch the show. Haven't seen it in well over five years. I had missed most of season four when it first aired. Instead of watching that year, I started from the beginning to reach that point. It was nice, a good chunk of four was new to me. *nods*

Come back here for more PT tastiness on May 4th, 2017. And if you're real good, maybe in widescreen.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-05-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Credits
    Target - April 25th, 207

La La Land
    Exclusive bonus disc (appears to be a DVD); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available April 28th, 2017

"Mary J. Blige - Strength" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Credits
    Best Buy - April 25th, 207

La La Land
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Underworld: Blood Wars
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

Underworld: Awakening (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $9.99

Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans (available now)

Underworld (available now)

Underworld: Evolution (available now)
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 04-24-2017 at 03:02 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Tame Dystopian Future Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on December 12th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This time out we face 25th century dangers and get hands for feet in "Ĉon Flux"...

The motion picture opened on December 2nd, 2005. It was made with a budget of $62,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $25 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $52,304,001. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "Pride And Prejudice", "Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire" and "Walk The Line".

There was no slipcover issued, but came with a foil wraparound. This release originally came with a mail-in offer (form) insert; $5.00 rebate when you bought this DVD and "MTV's Ĉon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection" box set. Send in the original receipt or receipts for the titles (did not have to be bought together) along with proof-of-purchase tab from the movie and a photocopy of the UPC from the box. The offered expired on July 25th, 2006.

The rebate was available to U.S. and Canadian residents.

- - -

There were two items.

Best Buy had an exclusive bonus disc; it streeted on April 25th, 2006. This came inside a CD envelope (in the case) for $14.99 - have since moved it into a two disc case.

There is no menu screen, it just plays.

The bonus disc has a run time of 28:29 minutes, "The Effects Of Aeon Flux" featurette.

Wal-Mart had their own bonus; "MTV's Ĉon Flux: The Animated Series - DVD Sampler".

This came with its own case on the same day; side packed with the movie. Unfortunately at the time it was only available for the full screen edition which was a thing Wal-Mart used to do. This set sold for $19.49.

The bonus disc has a run time of 23:20 minutes. That trailer listed is really the commercial for the series' home video release (not the film's trailer) and three short episodes from the first and second seasons (which then aired as part of MTV's "Liquid Television"). I didn't read it fully when I bought it. This is rather unnecessary for me. I own both the show and movie. I sold my second movie copy on Ebay, lost money on that.

Anyhow, the gimmick for the first two seasons was Ĉon got killed in every episode - like Kenny from "South Park, but Ĉon did it first. This changed for the final third season when the program was given its own half hour show and voices. Seasons one and two had zero dialog, it was all done with action and pantomime.

Pretty damn bold if you ask me.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

*deep sigh*

Okay. I'll just begin with not talking about the costume change made for the film for Ĉon. This was covered in detail in the Past Tense entry for "MTV's Ĉon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection"; Part I and Part II.

That said, the film's story was decent (I own the DVD), but decent as in a motion picture - NOT as part of the "Ĉon Flux" legacy. They took such a rich world and turned it into generic landscape. A good example...

The Bregna wardrobe feels like we're watching a fashion show than lived-in clothes. So much of it is impracticable and time consuming - just to put on. Unless the future is ultra vain or purely occupied by runway models, it doesn't belong.

My go to is "Blade Runner" (1982), the fashion there was for the most part, practical. It made sense for that setting. The image above was one of the more reasonable outfits.

Man, there is rich source material, why was it ejected for bad novelty and large, cumbersome hats?

The next fault I find is the level of sophistication. The story lines in the show were deep and could turn on its head at any point. Good? Evil? It's all rather a point of view. We cheer for the right decision, but is that really truly right???

It wasn't about happy endings, most had bleak conclusions, that's what made it so special and engrossing. Very sway.

The live action adaptation (which I use loosely) should've been released as a hard R (instead of PG-13) to theaters and given an unrated treatment for home video. Maybe that could've improved it, give some teeth and irony. The finished movie is quite audience friendly with no real depth, like a perforated mug...

Sure it looks reasonable from a distance, but is sorely not functional.

My list also has a place for Trevor Goodchild played by Marton Csokas - that was such a waste. He was nothing like the original Goodchild. The way they made him as the big screen foe, all that was missing a mustache to twirl at Charlize Theron.

Not the momma!!!

C'mon try harder. This needed to be a much bigger than life - a man with no scrupulous.

Trevor is the classic idea of the Devil, both seductive and repellant. He has the cunning of a fox, and the movement of a snake. Most of all, he believes completely that his actions are in the best interests of society, the hallmark of any great villain (or at least antagonist).
    - Grendelkhan [on the animated character

That sums him up quite well.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-05-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Tame Dystopian Future Part II

Add to that bowl of disappointment with a holed mug is that they got an actor who didn't resemble the character. As for that pix; he's lookin' at you - looking at him. And yes, THAT Trevor was quite the perv. *nods*

Grendelkhan's comment is so true, the best scoundrels are the ones who don't believe they are; just misunderstood. What comes to mind is former North "Best" Korea leader, Kim Jong-il. I wouldn't call him suave, but very delusional (with nukes) - same difference.

This should tell you what kind of man Goodchild is. In pilot episode/short, he caused a plague that ravages Bregna. Trevor then offers himself as the savior with a cure. People line up to be immunize and are so grateful, Trevor is given a statue and offered power. Power to which he will use to fuel his ego and wicked schemes. He's a charismatic bastard - not some dilettante.

It was an okay motion picture with some actual good ideas, but it could've been so much more memorable - not the only one.

The movie is a travesty. I was unhappy when I read the script four years ago; seeing it projected larger than life in a crowded theatre made me feel helpless, humiliated and sad. I know it's bad form for me to voice my disapproval in a public forum, but it's silly for me, of all people, to continue playing dumb, considering most of the critics have voiced their disapproval using every mocking and condescending expression possible. I know that the studio made a lot of cuts against the wishes of the writers and director. Most of the cuts concerned further development of the secondary characters. Since my main problems are with the portrayal of Aeon and Trevor, I doubt that I'd have liked the longer version much better.
    - series creator Peter Chung

The good?

The score/music was excellent by Graeme Revell. I own the CD soundtrack. He captured the flavor of original series, composer Drew Neumann. If you're into film scores, it's highly recommend.

And the film's poster; that was a solid image, nice colors and presentation. But just like Kate Nauta on the poster for "Transporter 2" (2005) - a future Past Tense; Theron's breasts were digitally enhanced.

Oh yeah, what kind of horrible blackmail material did producers have on Frances McDormand to star in this mess? So out of place.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Years ago while researching the PT entry for "Complete Animated Collection", I came across some information on the subject, the unproduced direct to video DVD.

The project was a sequel to the series and a tie-in for the then upcoming feature. Chung co-wrote the treatment with Japhet Asher. But it didn't go beyond the page since MTV was planning to release a box set of the show. Chung wanted to be a part of his baby's proper home video release and wasn't going to divide his attention with two big projects.

So the sequel remains unproduced; the plan was for a feature length DVD for MTV Films, not a half hour program.

Why wasn't it made after the series set came out? The movie bombed - those numbers above do not include the millions spent on promotion.

Paramount got burned and wasn't going to release another Ĉon Flux - even if, faithful.

Story? Damn good question, I wish I knew. Chung's not talking, hope it might happen on day.

- - -

Something.

I saw this feature in the theater on opening day. They gave away trading card sized promos for movie; a four card set. I still have mine - still sealed in its wrapping. I was only able to get one set, not going to open it unless I have two. Mine is in the Wal-Mart case.

- - -

There was a video game tie-in for the movie (November 16th, 2005) from Majesco Games. Ĉon here is based on film version; actress Charlize Theron also lends her voice for it.

Haven't played it, not into video games. But have seen the ad, looks nice and is more line with the series - don't know if I should be happy or sad about that.

The game is for PS2 and Xbox. Initial release came with a free theater voucher to see the film.

Long expired.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Indeed.

She's an attractive woman, but miscast here. Ms. Theron lacks the extra umph... bosoms AND muscle tone. I'm being honest. She does not look the part.

There was a lot of debate (online at the time) over who would've made a better spy gal. Names thrown around were Angelina Jolie, Claudia Black, Famke Janssen, Sienna Guillory, Kate Beckinsale, Tricia Helfer, Eva Green, Carrie Anne Moss and Hilary Swank. That last one was an odd submission.

I'm like the Jolie and Black offerings. I can see them in the classic outfit, kicking ass and not taking names; same with Guillory.

Yeah, this example; Jolie as Lady Croft from "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" (2001). The actress has the right amount of muscle tone for the role; she looks the part and appears like the character she's depicting - very nice. No matter how you feel about the movie, producers got the part correct.

That kind of imagery should've been used here. And don't get me started with the hair; that cut on Theron would've been a serious liability.

So there you go. Come back here on May 18th, 2017 for a 1970s character resurrected with a Grindhouse flavor. *wink*
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-05-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Credits
    Target - May 9th, 2017

Fifty Shades Darker
    Exclusive packaging with wine charms, wine stopper and napkins and bonus content (appears not to be a disc); BD/DVD/DC combo $25.99

Exclusive bonus content (same as above); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 05/12

"New Kids On The Block - Thankful" with 1 exclsuive track $5.99
    "Harry Styles" exclusive limited edition with 32 page book (with digital copy) $19.99

Credits
    Best Buy - May 9th, 2017

Fifty Shades Darker
    Exclusive steelbook case; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

WWE: Wrestlemania XXXIII
    Exclusive steelbook case; BD only $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available 05/12

"Seether - Poison The Parish" exclusive vinyl picture disc $20.99
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 05-08-2017 at 03:19 AM.

Credits
    Target - May 16th, 2017

Wonder Woman: Commemorative Edition (re-release of the 2009 animated feature with a new bonus)
    Exclusive steelbook case; BD/DVD/DC combo $16.99

xXx: Return Of Xander Cage
    Exclusive bonus BD disc; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Credits
    Best Buy - May 16th, 2017

The Mummy Ultimate Collection
    Exclusive box set; BD only $19.99

Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo $27.99

Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $19.99

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo $27.99

Wonder Woman: Commemorative Edition
    Exclusive art cards; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Resident Evil (available now)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (available now)

Resident Evil: Afterlife (available now)

Resident Evil: Extinction (available now)

Resident Evil: Retribution (available now)

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 05/19

"Faith Evans - The King & I" with exclusive bonus track $11.99

Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast