Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Target - December 19th, 2017

The Lego Ninjago Movie
    Exclusive lenticular slipcover and trading cards; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs - available now

"Taylor Swift - Reputation"; two exclusive magazine - album bundles; Volume 1 or Volume 2 $18.00 (each)

Credits
    Best Buy - December 19th, 2017

Dunkirk
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99

The Lego Ninjago Movie

Spider-Man Legacy Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $69.99

Dispicable Me 3 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Jumanji (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $22.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on February 5th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This outing we get sex and love and gun flashes, cigarettes with a splash of color in "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For"...

The motion picture opened on August 22nd, 2014. It was made with a budget of $65,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $13 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $39,407,616. The film opened number eight at the box office, the following week it dropped to number fourteen.

The feature opened against "Guardians Of The Galaxy", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", "The Expendables 3" and "Into The Storm".

The DVD edition originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. There was a single insert, Digital Copy (UltraViolet instructions. But for this PT, I'm covering the Blu-Ray version since this had exclusives.

The BD (3D BD/BD/DVD/DC combo) also came with slipcover and Digital Copy code. It expired on December 31st, 2016.

The back of the slipcover is different, doesn't list the bonus features, the wraparound does.

- - -

There were a few exclusives; these streeted on November 18th, 2014...

Best Buy offered the combo set with exclusive steelbook case for $24.99. Did not buy this, so can only guess the DC code expired on the same date.

Do not know the case configuration, disc layout.

Their sister, Canadian store (to Best Buy) - Future Shop (owned by the same parent company) had their own.

As you can see, this was a different steelbook, BD combo. By the way that store is now dead.

From the image it is clear they stacked all three discs on top of each other on a single nub, making it a spindle. Their exclusive sold for $24.99 (CAD).

Target had the only substantial offering (content-wise).

The department store offer a bonus disc for $19.98 which I bought on release day without problems. The case holds four discs, two nubs inside on each side. One side has both BD discs, the other has the DVD.

The bonus disc (with printed label) is a DVD and came inside a CD envelope inside the case.

"Sin City: A Dame To Kill For - Behind The Sin" isn't a featurette, but a press conference. The run time is 30:04 minutes, presented in widescreen. No menu screen, it just plays. The Q&A is mixed with film clips, behind the scenes footage and interviews.

Participants include director Robert Rodriguez, writer/co-director Frank Miller with stars Eva Green, Jessica Alba, Josh Brolin and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

I bought this because the bonus was a DVD. The plan was to buy the DVD edition once it hits eight bucks or so (with slip) and relocated into a two disc case (with the Target exclusive). I've done this before and done it here too. Sway.

Lastly Wal-Mart offered a Blu-Ray two pack in a long box; "Sin City" one and two for $24.96. As to be expected - did not buy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

This is our crime. This is our sin.
    - Tim Capello

Man, what is there to say?

As pointed out last PT, this sequel was eight years too late.

Lets make this clear - the movie bombed. There will not be any Director's Cut in the future as the first had.

Holy crap, "Into The Storm" did better at the box office. And that movie (I use the term lightly is 89 minutes long) had next to zero plot; just an excuse for CGI effects - worldwide that made over $159 million out of a $50,000,000 (estimated) budget.

The very same thing happened to "The Spirit" (2008), another Frank Miller flick (with the same hyper visual style) - had a budget of $60,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $19 million during its U.S. theatrical run. Worldwide that made $39,031,337. Not good, not good at all.

It's corny and cheesy, but an enjoyable flick. I own the two disc DVD, part of my library (disc two is a pressed Digital Copy, remember those?).

In the commentary Miller talks about a better unrated cut (feature is PG-13), it never happened.

Makes me wonder if the movie came out now, would it do better? You have such hits as "Sharknado" (2013) - audiences are now ready for camp, but not in '08.

Centered - left to right; Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez and star Mickey Rourke.

Anyhow, "The Spirit" bombed and the studio didn't want to sink even more money into that mess. No large conjecture; the same happen to "A Dame To Kill For" - this theatrical cut is as good as it gets.

We should be glad it has extras at all.

Granted I would like to see a special edition set (DVD and BD), but pigs will need to fly first.

The movie???

*pause*

It was okay. Not great, but decent - part of my collection. Not high praise, I'll admit.

But like most guys we wanted to see Jessica Alba nude or at the least topless. It's true.

Didn't happen here; she doesn't do nudity. The vignettes were decent, I guess. But really memorable?

I'm not the only one; a couple of fan quotes...

The first movie had more heart. This movie felt forced and has an almost made for TV feel to it. Most of the stories and characters never draw you in - I feel Marv was present for the sole purpose of trying to tie the first movie into the second, which it does half-assed.
    - SpookyKid777

Action sequels are supposed to be bigger, louder, and push the envelope further. This movie actually regressed and feels more tame than the first.
    - RockyTheBear

- - -

Boob loathing...

What you see above is the rejected poster. A second version was released, altered.

So - what happened?

The Motion Picture Association Of America deemed the original too provocative. I kid you not:

Curve of under breast and dark nipple/areola circle visible through sheer gown.
    - MPAA

That poster was going to be banned from theaters, so filmmakers had to change Miss Green's areolas and nips, as in - removed them. Holding the gun was okay, breasts not so much. *shakes head*

The thing is, you can barely see; you have to make an effort, almost in imaginary territory - not blatant. The nipple was so subtle. What they did was lighten up her gown, the exposure change, erased her poking.

Hey MPAA - guy's nipples do that too when cold.

I find it a bit odd. It seems like it’s all just publicity - a lot of noise for nothing. You have so many more violent things in the movie business and this is kind of soft. I'm not naked. It’s suggested.
    - Eva Green

Breasts, some hate; makes them very uncomfortable. Boobs!

Yup the last Past Tense of the year - have a good Christmas (with your in-laws) and a great Happy New Years! Drink responsibly.

Brand new entries kick off 2018!

Watch out you, might get what you're after. Boom babies, strange but not a stranger.
    - Talking Heads

On January 4th, '18 - we follow some kids in a 1980s sci-fi adventure with a parallel universe flavor. Yeah, that.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-20-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - January 2nd, 2018

Ong Bak Trilogy
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $19.99

Credits
    Past Tense - This Is What Happens When You Play D&D Part I

Welcome back. Ringing in 2018 with brand new entries - all January.

The new year starts off with kids finding a new pal with serious baggage in "Stranger Things"...

The series was dumped all at once on Netflix on July 15th, 2016.

The streaming program competed with theatrical films "Independence Day: Resurgence", "The Purge: Election Year", "Finding Dory", "The Legend of Tarzan" and "The Secret Life Of Pets"

The packaging is quite unique and will be covered in a moment. There was no insert included here.

- - -

There were two exclusives (overall). Things got strange. *nods*

Above is their weekly ad... but there was serious fuzzy territory - I'll get into that in a few.

Target was the only store which sold the series on home video. Two sets streeted on October 17th, 2017?

BD/DVD combo for $24.99 and 4k BD/BD combo for $29.99. These came with different covers and different exclusive posters.

All were four disc sets; two for each dedicated format.

As you can see, this exclusive was made to replicate a large VHS tape release - very sway. BD/DVD combo on the above left.

In the 1980s VHS, pre-recorded tapes came with a slipcase over the cassette. They did a great job creating the illusion of a retro release, quite awesome.

Inside the slipcase is a giant VHS tape.

By the way, season one is eight episodes long.

The magnetic strip lid lifts up (if you're old enough, you know what I'm talking about); allowing the mock cassette to open up like a book - where the discs are held in foam nubs (partial overlay).

An arm on that level can be pulled up, revealing another compartment under it with the other pair. I did not see it at first and thought I got screwed, missing discs. Nope, it's there.

There is artwork under that arm, the dimensional tree, a photo - hidden place. Hidden compartment.

Have since moved the DVDs on the top level, the BDs below.

What holds that cassette closed are concealed magnets inside that strip door. Simple and kinda impressive, it works.

Those disc holding nubs are a pain. Hard to pull out the discs and putting them back in. Must've sounded great on paper, but the reality is rough. Taking out the discs with care, not to pull/rip out the foam so the disc can be put away; damn poorly designed.

By the way, it was a nice touch to have the slipcover and box appear to be a video store rental.

There's a story on that box too, but I'll get into that in a few, unnecessary controversy (among others).

Here are the menu screen for each disc. The various Christmas lights blink if you're curious.

As mentioned here before, I'm not into Blu-Ray and do not have a BD player. But can guess - the menu screens for those BD discs are the same.

What sucks is this has zero special features, minus the trailer for season two which plays at the start of each DVD. There should've been something.

The same for the BD discs as others have made the same lament.

Will this have a regular release? And will that have special features? Unknown.

On the opposite side of the discs is a pouch for the exclusive poster, the "Demogorgon" by Tomasz Opasinski. The creature art is for the BD/DVD combo. Can't say I'm too impressed. It's okay, I guess.

Personally I would've preferred the alternate poster for season one; above right.

Man, that's other poster is a huge homage to Drew Struzan. He's the guy who created so many memorable movie posters in the 1980s. *nods*

The 4k BD/BD combo had their own poster and was pretty much lackluster.

The generic poster for the upcoming season two.

As you can imagine, collectors like myself went goo-goo eyed for Target's exclusive release(s). So out of the ordinary. Bought mine on release day and shortly thereafter binge watch (don't have Netflix). Though I had to make an exchange since one of the DVDs were scratched up. All good now.

This was a blind buy. Was not disappointed.

So what's fuzzy?

The 4k BD set. When did it come out???

Before you ask. I have no clear answer, there are different voices and even the official Target statement IS wrong.

Grand.

Gonna jump to the next part since I'm at ten images on this post, a ten pix limit. And I have more to show.

...scroll down a bit.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-20-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - This Is What Happens When You Play D&D Part II

When did this come out?

Good question.

As said earlier, the official statement is wrong; fans/collectors nationwide can attest to that. Target claims the 4k combo streeted on November 15th, 2017.

No it did not.

Above is that week's ad, you can see, no mention of it which would've been a hot ticket item.

Then word came down this was released on November 28th or was it December 5th, 2017? Either way, an unlisted item.

Above is the store's weekly ads. Nobody can agree on when this combo streeted. Like the show itself, it's mysterious. Which in fitting.

Next we have is the VHS packaging violation.

On November 22nd, 2017 a statement was made by webmaster Dr. Gough Lui, that Netflix stole the photos he took of a video cassette for his blog, "The VHS Corner".

Which is?

It is intended to provide a brief overview of the VHS recording system, various clips from commercials from my childhood (for nostalgia) recorded on VHS, and a small library of various brands of VHS cassettes along with their artworks.
    - Lui

He took some pictures of an unlabeled tape and claims Netflix took his image and used it for the box packaging art. I've seen the pixs, yeah looks like it. The back of the tape, the reel-hubs are in the exact positions.

I’ve not watched Stranger Things, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. Could it be true that my work has become a part of their product and I should be so honored to be part of it? The images I were seeing did not lie. They were my photos.
    and

I have no intention to ask them to stop selling the items. In fact, I’m happy people are nostalgic about VHS. I’m not looking to milk the situation at all. I’m not threatening to get a lawyer on their case. I’m just frustrated that I had to find out from someone else in the first place.
    Things did get resolved and an admittance of guilt with an undisclosed amount of money.

I have received a very courteous phone call from Netflix in which we discussed the matters at hand and appropriate compensation. The matter has now been settled to my satisfaction, and pending a few bits of paperwork, I shall receive a very satisfactory licensing fee and copies of the items as noted.

They have expressed their apologies over the mistakes made by their third party agencies as well as letting the initial e-mail contact get lost within the system.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best possible outcome that could have happened.
    You see, he emailed Netflix and they ignored him - initially.

*sigh*

My issue here is he took photos of a generic VHS tape and claims he owns it. But this is/was a common product, while he may own the physical object, he does not own the rights to the object - some corporation does. Those images are as generic as the nondescript cassette. There is nothing special about it, no artistic flare used or added. This ain't Andy Warhol.

Was it a sneaky thing to do? Yes. Was it worth getting money for it? No. Gough Lui does not own the rights to the VHS tape.

Back to the exclusive - the 4K combo set, another controversy!

The current theory is that this was suppose to be released with the BD/DVD set, but could not. The manufacturing of the discs was taking too long. So it was released later. But in that rush they had to cut a corner.

A corner which has pissed off a ton of 4K purists.

The 4K discs have no HDR (High Dynamic Range) audio. It was cut for Dolby Digital (compressed) and from 5.1 Descriptive Audio to 2.0.

In short, no TrueHD audio (lossless).

You see, the BD version does has lossless audio and has Descriptive Audio in 5.1 Dolby Digital (English). 4k fans are calling the downgrade inexcusable.

As far as I understand, there is no plans to re-release a corrected version of this combo.

Folks who bought the BD/DVD set were pissed to learn about the later 4k release; a money grab, double dip. That did not go well.

Then came Black Friday (November 23rd, 2017)...

You see, Target sold the BD/DVD sets for ten bucks. So other people were pissed of they paid $24.99 just a month earlier.

This happened.

More controversy coming up - not on this home video, but on a Halloween costume. That was stupid as hell.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

The series is a love letter to the 1980s by Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer. Quite lush with a synthwave score. Critics and viewers are in sync - we love it.

A recap for those who don't have Netflix or are in the dark (as I was).

It is November 6th, 1983 in Hawkins, Indiana. A top secret project by the U.S. Department Of Energy has messed up. And has opening a portal into an alternate Earth which has been ravaged by an unknown disaster - inhabited by something non-terrestrial.

A serious question; did that universe open their own portal???

Like with the death of Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee) in "Twin Peaks" (1990) we have a dense mystery.

A group of tweens learns one of their own has gone missing, Will Byers (Noah Schnapp); disappeared on his way home from a game of Dungeon & Dragons with his pals.

No body - just an abandoned bicycle. The kid had been taken, but by who... we know it as a what.

Our Scooby gang discovers a girl lost in the woods during their own investigation; she is connected to Will. Turns out she is the keystone to a military project into astro-projection. She has no name other than a number - her number is Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown). One of several kids used as engines.

What I enjoyed was a good chunk isn't explained, bits are given and you must put it together. Like what happened with "Lost" (2004).

The answer on what Dr. Martin Brenner (Matthew Modine) was doing...

Eleven is the first engine to fully work. She is given a point in time and location to fixate. While in a sensory deprivation tank she can visit that target in the past, but can only hear one thing at a time. While her body is in the tank, she can carry over - manifest the tech attached to her.

She is able to record one way of two way conversation (mostly clear, but tinny). Not perfect, but highly impressive. Once done and rested; Eleven can go back and isolate the second person, now recording the other person's perspective.

Take both recordings, mix together and you have an almost live recording of a past conversation. The amount of intelligence gathered from that ability would've been astonishing. Time and space is not beyond reach.

Think someone is selling nuclear secrets - ten years ago? Have Eleven record a moment in time to see if that person committed treason and what secrets were sold.

It would change espionage, forever.

But then she made contact with an alternate universe and an unknown creature which can dimension jump. Now aware of our universe. Hunting here since that world is dead.

In making Eleven - result of child abductions and experimentations, expanding their conscience; she has gained psychokinetic abilities.

When the sh!t hit the fan she ran from the laboratory and is found by Mike Wheeler (Finn Wolfhard) who take her home and hides her from the authorities and parents.

Now with her filling in some missing points; the friends Mike, Dustin Henderson (Gaten Matarazzo), Lucas Sinclair (Caleb McLaughlin) and 'El' attempt to find Will as time runs out.

He's dying and is being hunted by the creature in the alternate Earth, which they dubbed as 'the Upside Down'.

A side story is Joyce (Winona Ryder) who is Will's mother. She discovers that her son is still here, but not in our world.

She goes to great length to contact her missing son (with the community thinking she's snapped) and has some success. Hint, it's electricity based.

It put a smile on my face when I realize what she was doing.

Smart lady.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-20-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - This Is What Happens When You Play D&D Part III

Then you have Nancy (Natalia Dyer), Mike's older sister and Will's older brother, Jonathan (Charlie Heaton) who have their own parallel investigation - her best friend, Barbara (Shannon Purser) is one of the missing.

They are the ones who figure it out what has taken people from town.

Next you have the investigation by the local sheriff, Jim Hopper (David Harbour) who is kind of a burnout, a functional alcoholic. This gig was an easy job, till the abductions happened. He's a local - former high school football champ.

Have I spoiled it?

No.

This is surface level. So much happens in that eight episodes. As I wrote earlier, this is a rich show. You will care what happens and what happens to whom.

*nods*

- - -

Okay.

What the hell?

So this is the next shoe. In mid October of 2017, a Halloween costume went viral to idiot outrage.

An adult version of the outfit El wore to blend in town.

The "Upside Down Honey Costume".

Evade your enemies in this Upside Down Honey costume featuring a powder pink babydoll dress with a ruffled bust, white buttons accents, a navy bomber jacket with long sleeves, white thigh high socks with striped tops, and a waffle purse.
    Wig not included. It retailed for $59.99.

Far too many people got livid about sexualizing a child character. So much so, the costume got pulled.

The thing is - that's not it.

What is forgotten is some things are for adults...

AND some things are for children, this is no different. And WTF? Who the hell thinks that's sexy?

Just knock that off, man.

There are two Halloweens, kids getting candy and adult dressing slutty/sexy. These worlds do NOT mix.

Here are some other adaptation costumes, as in sexy costumes; left to right...

Sexy Alice Liddle from "Alice In Wonderland", sexy Charlie Brown, sexy Ash Ketchum from "Pokémon", sexy Mickey Mouse and sexy Freddy Krueger. Plus sexy Little Red Riding Hood.

What I'm bothered is folks not having a problem with the Krueger costume ("Ms. Krueger Naughty Nightmare") if they're so damn concerned.

Frederick Charles "Freddy" Krueger was murdered by a group of parents for being a pedophile; burned alive in the boiler room of the high school. Anyone who dresses as Freddy is dressing up as a child molester. Not lie, FACT!

You would think this is far more paramount than say an adult version of El. No. Must make a scene over something stupid.

And no, I don't care about the Naughty Nightmare costume, it's cool looking.

What is also forgotten is that "Upside Down Honey" is for women - as in women buying for themselves.

- - -

Speaking of adult.

This ad appeared in the November 2017 issue of Adult Video News, an industry magazine which covers adult entertainment.

"Stranger Things" has hit porn. The ad is for a XXX webcam website.

Oh dear.

Anyhow, season two (dumped on October 27th, 2017; now nine episodes) takes place a year later with the aftermath and a new threat. Plus the other child subjects. As I understand fans are upset this did not live up to season one.

But they liked it enough, season three has been green lit.

I would like the same kind of packaging for season two, but with extras.

- - -

The YouTube channel, "Bad Lip Reading" did episode on the series, 18:05 minutes long. Presented as a 1980s, coming of age TV show - the same format as "The Wonder Years" (1988).

Don't take candy from a Stranger. Things like that - could lead to danger. Justin, Lucas, El and Mike ridin' on a bike to save a friend from the Upside Down. Those Stranger Things - you know were livin' those Stranger Things.
    - open credit theme song

For those not familiar; these guys dub over movies and TV shows clips with their own words, complete with music and sound effects. So much of it works and so random which is where the humor comes from. They also do songs like "Seagulls! (Stop It Now)", which is a hilarious dub over "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back" (1980); Luke with Yoda. "Bushes Of Love" is my favorite.

Such gems here as...

Mike to Nancy: "I'm gonna shove you under the couch and leave".

Narrator (adult Mike): "El was a strange girl that lived in a blanket fort in my basement. My friends and I had found her in the forrest; she didn't say a whole lot. But it gave me a chance to practice, talking to girls. Which was something I definitely needed help with."

Mike to Nancy: "You look just like - ketchup smells."

El to Mike: "Will you bleed on my butter?"

Steve: "I have to go eat cheese now."

Narrator (adult Mike): "Every Tuesday, Donald at the general store let people pay for their purchases with speed doodles."

Justin: "I need some rain water."

Steve: "The guy in the woods outta sell you tainted meth."

There's an awesome moment when Joyce is at the police station to see Hopper, wanting to know how the search for Will is coming, but can't get over the music playing in his office, modern jazz.

He stops the cassette and she comments on better music, a band called Glitter Job - their song, "Ice God Of Hungry". Which he has and starts playing, then both sing to it.

Holy crap, I laughed so hard; "Frightened nipple. Frightened nipple!"

Here Barb is lesbian trying to hook up Nancy. And Chester is trying to get into Steve's pants ("Me and you are like, the best - you're like the wind and I'm the canyon).

Look, I'm not doing this justice. Go to YouTube, type in "Stranger Things: A Bad Lip Reading" in search. Or if you know how, "S-4rhjO6xYg". Uploaded on December 9th, 2017. Actress Gillian Jacobs (from "Community" [Britta] was a guest, doing the voice of Nancy).

Going back for a moment. Did not notice on my first viewing (series); pulled out the disc and saw that scene again. Is Chester a closeted gay?

One last thing.

This bugs me. The music in the show. So many comment like this is new, synthwave tunes. This is NOT true. Synthwave has had a resurgence in this decade.

You have artists like Perturbator, Betamaxx, Action Jackson, Absolute Valentine, Mega Drive, Waveshaper, VHS Glitch, Cobra Copter, Robert Parker, FM-84, Pylot, Scandroid, Index Code and Fury Weekend to name a few which has kept 1980s synthesizer music alive.

Action Jackson's "Coke, Palms And Money" (2013) feels right off the screen from "Miami Vice" (1984). So perfect.

*sigh*

There have been artists doing this kind of music in this century for some time. Not new, retro - yes, but not new. Please stop saying that. Yes, I'm a fan of this genre.

There you go folks. Come back here on January 18th, 2018 for a look at a Hollywood icon and her mole.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-20-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Credits
    Target - January 9th, 2018

It (remake)
    Exclusive lenticular slipcover and 5 postcards; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

My Little Pony: The Movie
    Exclusive store release; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Stranger Things: Season One (available now)
    * Excusive store release; BD/DVD combo $19.99
    (but the 4k/BD combo is pictured)

Credits
    Best Buy - January 9th, 2018

It (2017)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

My Little Pony: The Movie
    Free bag of Airhead Xtremes Bites; DVD only $14.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (available now)
    Exclusive two different steelbook sigils (Dragonstone red or cream and other); BD only $42.99 (each)

Men In Black Trilogy: 20th Anniversary Edition (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD/DC combo $39.99

Resident Evil: Six Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $49.99

Underworld: Five Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $49.99

Credits
    Target - January 19th, 2018

CD

"Kidz Bop 37" with 4 exclusive songs $9.99

Credits
    Best Buy - January 16th, 2018

Blade Runner 2049
    Exclusive steebook; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99
    Exclusive steebook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Earth: One Amazing Day
    Exclusive week early store release; 4k BD/BD combo $22.99

Credits
    Past Tense

A brand new entry!

Having perspective from the start is a wonderment, even more when it includes a legend in her own time in "My Week With Marilyn".

The motion picture opened on November 23rd, 2011 to a limited theatrical release. It was made with a budget of £6,400,000 (estimated; $8,623,128 USD) and grossed over $14.5 million during its U.S. theatrical run.

The feature opened against "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1", "Hugo", "The Descendants", "Puss In Boots" and "The Muppets".

This originally came with a cardboard foil, non-embossed, slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. No insert(s) were issued.

- - -

There was a single exclusive from Target. This streeted on March 13th, 2012; a bonus disc.

The MP3 CD-ROM was available for both DVD ($17.00) and BD ($23.00) editions.

Bonus came in a two disc case, not inside a CD envelope.

Man, this is a mess.

Above is the window, only thirty-four documents shown, out of the one hundred eighty-two individual MP3s. There should've been two or so large MP3s, not all these - short tracks.

Only At Target. Exclusive Audio Book CD Combo Pack. Includes Free Audio Book MP3 CD Of My Week With Marilyn. Offer valid while supplies last.
    - The sticker on the slipcover.

Not so.

The disc has two books, not one.

Both Colin Clark recollections; "My Week With Marilyn" (2000) and "The Prince, The Showgirl And Me" (1996) are here - read by Simon Pebble. The disc has a pressed image of Michelle Williams as Ms. Monroe.

All the MP3s are 128 kbps and Pebble is so damn dry, almost monotone.

How long is it? I didn't bother tallying the MP3s. Each is a few minutes long, I can tell you that.

This was an exclusive I did not by at the time. It was a buy made in October of 2017 (Ebay). A fair price with the slipcover - all of it mint.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I'm guessing this isn't that well known. Okay, this was nominated for two Academy Awards (84th); Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor (lost both; Michelle Williams and Kenneth Branagh) and a ton of film critics/film festivals - it still more of an independent feature.

The film had a limited theatrical run and didn't even register in the box office, top one hundred weekly movies, not even a blip. Which is why that data is absent above.

So I'll do this as a blind flick. This is a period piece set in 1956, England.

As you have guessed, the movie is based on two books by Colin Clark (screenplay by Adrian Hodges); behind-the-scenes drama and delights, Clark witnessed as a production assistant on the set of "The Prince And The Showgirl" (1957) working for Sir Laurence Olivier's film company.

How he (Eddie Redmayne) became a friend and confidant to Marilyn Monroe during the troubled/difficult shooting.

First off I enjoyed Williams' as titular... character?

Too meta.

Williams' as the infamous actress.

We see Monroe's new marriage to playwright Arthur Miller (Dougray Scott) start to come apart. Her addiction to pills and serious self-confidence issues.

And she's far too impulsive for her own good. Which does come off as having vitality and passion.

The feature has in smaller parts; Julia Ormond as Vivien Leigh (wife of Olivier), Judi Dench as Sybil Thorndike and Derek Jacobi as Owen Morshead among others.

Such as Emma Watson as Lucy, a wardrobe assistant.

Clark tires wooing her to some success, but it fails due to his interactions and infatuation with Monroe - she eats up most of his spare time. No happy ending for him with Lucy as it should be. Not in a bad way.

I'm glad that Clark's opportunity here isn't presented as manipulative. He was in the right place at the right time and road the ride until the end. There are some minor nudity involving Monroe, not a shy gal.

Branagh did a good job as the frustrated actor/director who wanted so badly to be beloved by audiences - going so far to hire Monroe to his film to revitalize his waning career.

Which turned into a long nightmare of dealing with the aloof celebrity. And failed for him, the movie did so-so.

But Olivier did find his prize afterwards on the stage - as Archie Rice in "The Entertainer" (1957) at the Royal Court Theatre.

I would call this a drama with some minor humor, more of smiles than laughs. Parts of it is quite melancholy; we know what happens to Monroe in the end.

Great score by Conrad Pope and Alexandre Desplat.

A problem I have with the DVD (same with BD) is the lack of extras. We get a commentary by the director, Simon Curtis. And a brief, filler featurette, "The Untold Story Of An American Icon" (19:07 minutes), that it. Not even the trailer is here. There should've been more. It feels hollow.

I don't regret making the effort to find this complete DVD set. I enjoyed it, now part of my movie collection. A bittersweet story that had great casting.

Good stuff.

By the way, as said, the bonus disc has two audio books in it. There was no demarcation AT ALL! MP3 after MP3; man, that was poor decision. What if you wanted to listen to one book, but not the other???

Like I wrote, it's a mess.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

In the late 1970s and 1980s, actress Morgan Fairchild was a sexbomb. Not in the same league as Monroe, but not a footnote either.

Come back here on February 1st, 2018 our month long coverage of a world with the lights off; two more brand new Past Tenses! Sway.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-20-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - January 23rd, 2018

Groundhog Day
    Exclusive store release 4k BD/BD/DC combo $19.99

Jigsaw
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Credits
    Target - February 2nd, 2018

CDs

"Justin Timberlake - Man Of The Woods" with exclusive album cover and free poster $11.99
    "Justin Timberlake - Man Of The Woods" exclusive orange vinyl record and album cover $17.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Not A Blown Fuse Part I

Another brand new entry!

What will you do when the power goes off and there is no more internet porn or cat vids - join a "Revolution" to get them back?

"Revolution: The Complete First Season" was released on home video on September 3rd, 2013.

It streeted against "Vampire Diaries: The Complete Fourth Season", "Now You See Me" and "The Lords Of Salem".

This release originally came with a non-embossed cardboard slipcase which mirrored the wraparound. It also came with two inserts: episode booklet with air dates and special features listing; small, one sided ad for season two (then upcoming in three weeks).

- - -

Target offered the sole exclusive.

They offered an exclusive pendant which came with a pouch. The power pendant from the series. This was for both DVD $34.99 and BD $39.99 on street.

Did not get this when it came out. It was kinda weak exclusive and wanted a better price on the DVD. Which didn't happen then. In fact I only got this set in December of 2017; was goofing off and looked on Ebay and saw a seller had the Target exclusive still sealed, brand new for less than ten bucks total (with free shipping).

So yes, I bought it.

Originally thought it was BS when I got it. The Target sticker on it reads, "Revolution Pendant With Glowing Power Symbol". No it does not, no power switch to light up. The following day it hit me and I gave it a try. Yup.

The pendant does indeed glow, as in glow-in-the-dark; shine light on it then it will glow a lime green in the dark. Kinda neat. But they should've been better worded since I'm pretty sure many though just as I did.

The trinket was packed in the front of the DVD in a protruding plastic pocket. Can't say it was the best of packaging ideas, must have been a pain to make the DVDs and BDs fit in the slots on the shelves, no flat surface.

- - -

Sure.

The "Complete Series" streeted on May 12th, 2015 on both DVD ($44.99) and BD ($59.99) formats.

Just a repackaging. Now with a larger slipcase which houses both regular seasons sets with their own slipcases.

No new extras or bonus disc - like what happened with "http://www.movie-list.com/forum/showthread.php?33252-Home-Video-Exclusives&p=239757#post239757"]Jericho: The Complete Series[/URL]" (a previous Past Tense).

What sucks, there was was a third season, a resolution - finale; done as a free digital comic from DC (exclusive to ComicBook dot com in 2015).

Four issues told the aftermath of season two and how it all closed. Hint, power was never restored. Because without electricity, humanity would still have free will. If you saw the last episode, you'll understand.

This is cool, but not included on any disc format.

The comic was written by series writers, David Reed and Ryan Parrott with ideas by the show runners and producers. Sway.

Illustrated by Angel Hernandez. Did not know about these until researching.

By the way, the Blu-Ray (season one) has two bonuses not included on the DVD version.

1) UltraViolet digital copy of year one (twenty episodes).

2) The Paley Fest 2013 panel discussion for the show (March 2nd, 2013 at Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills, CA); moderated by Michael Schneider (L.A. Bureau Chief) from TV Guide Magazine. Guests include stars Billy Burke, Tracy Spiridakos, Giancarlo Esposito, David Lyons, Daniella Alonso and JD Pardo. Along with series creators/executive producers Eric Kripke and J.J. Abrams and pilot director and series producer Jon Favreau. They talk about filming season one and weaknesses they had with the show (early on). A run time of 27:41 minutes.

This would've been, a nice bonus disc for the DVD box set, but those comics couldn't fit.

The series ended on May 21st, 2014. Those digital comics were put online May 4th, 2015 (the final issue on June 15th [same year]). Complete Series was on May 12th. You can see why.

Man, it's so frustrating. I can't find these comics, downloads (PDFs I suspect). I did however find a guy named Hassan Othmane who had uploaded the comics as YouTube videos. This is as good as I can get.

Did discover there's a comic book commentary by Reed and Parrott for each issue, also on YouTube. Why it went this direction, interesting stuff. No pages shown, just the cover and them talking about the issue and series. Search: "Revolution Digital Comic: Chapter 1 Audio Commentary" to start. They range from four to eleven minutes each. I suspect these were a podcast first - transferred to video.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Okay, a step back since not everyone is familiar with this show.

The series takes place fifteen years into the future - where humanity has regressed to an early industrial age. Why? All electrical devices and power generators, crashed around the globe. I'll explain in a few.

We lived in an electric world. We relied on it for everything. And then the power went out. Everything stopped working. We weren't prepared. Fear and confusion led to panic. The lucky ones made it out of the cities. The government collapsed. Militias took over controlling the food supply and stockpiling weapons. We still don't know why the power went out. But we are hopeful that someone will come and light the way.
    - opening credits narration

THIS was a core problem viewers had with it. While I understand this universe is explained, bit by bit in each installment - which is solid storytelling. The problem is so much of the first episode does not make sense. As if we all already know what had happened. Don't need to talk about it. And it bothered a ton of people.

Now this worked quite well in "The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension" (1984); the film's characters and story lines were so over the top and interesting. We went along for the ride. Here? The heroes are abrasive - we need to get to know them before we can like them. For this case, that kind of blind commitment is a negative. Why the hell should I care? Add to that, the universe logic - it infuriated viewers which did not help their ratings...

So government collapes because everyone's iPods quit working? The entire concept of the show is retarded. It's only been 15 years since power no longer works? So that means libraries should still be around and I'm pretty sure every engineer on the planet didn't just cease to exist. Suddenly the U.S. reverts to it's early 19th century self where, as has been pointed out, steam is king. Manufacturing, logistics, and the economy move on. As a matter of fact unemployment rates would PLUMMET because factories full of robots are gone. And the ridiculous shots of Chicago with building overgrown with plants...JESUS! Oh no how ever were cities maintained before electricity? **** sakes this show isn't getting one second of my viewership.
    - Lukes Lost Hand

I think the shots of Chicago would be more believable if the landmarks were seen burned down instead of covered in vines. No electricity = people light candles for light, and fires for heat. Fires get out of control due to accidents, negligence, or stupidity. I don't get this show's premise so don't know how much today's firefighters would be hampered by no power. Regardless, they'd be working more than normal and, I guess, modern buildings' fire suppression systems wouldn't work. Also take away people's twitter and youtube and microwave pizzas = riots. And with riots come fires. Firefighters aren't keen on going into a riot zones to put out fires so they'll tend to burn unchallenged.
    - Jim

Then comes something else, a bit of controversy. Did the show creator commit plagiarism?

Nothing major, but enough to so say - yeah.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-18-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast