Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Target - October 9th, 2018

Hotel Transylvania 3
    Exclusive glow-in-the-dark halloween bag; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Skyscraper
    Exclusive bonus content (appears to be on the Blu-Ray); BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Hocus Pocus: Anniversary Edition
    Exclusive packaging and storybook; BD/DC combo $15.99

The Nightmare Before Christmas: Sing Along Edition
    Exclusive packaging and storybook; BD/DC combo $17.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (available now)
    Exclusive photo book and bonus content; 4K BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (available now)
    Exclusive photo book and bonus content; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available now

"A Star Is Born" soundtrack with exclusive poster $11.99
    "Steve Perry - Traces" with 5 exclusive bonus songs $13.99

Credits
    Best Buy - October 9th, 2018

Skyscraper
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Hotel Transylvania 3
    Exclusive glow-in-the-dark steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $37.99

The Nightmare Before Christmas: Anniversary Edition
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $14.99

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Alex Ross art set) (available now)
    Exclusive store release with art cards; BD only $39.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Blood, Cleavage, Gun Play And Lycanthropes Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on November 8th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This "Limited Edition Horror" 2018 is the kind of two part bastard who will stalk you in the shower where you only weapon is an eyeful of shampoo and a waning back scrubber. Though you thought, you could be safe if took your shower in the daytime, no such luck with "Underworld: Evolution"...

The second film in the "Underworld" franchise opened on January 20th, 2006. It was made with a budget of $50,000,000 (estimated) and grossed $65 million during its U.S. theatrical run. Worldwide it made over $111 million. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "Brokeback Mountain", "King Kong", "Hoodwinked" and "Hostel".

There was a single advertisement insert. Side A, "Collect These Other Great DVDs!"; showcasing nine releases. Side B displayed six titles for UMD (remember those?). By the way, that's an alluring poster, the regular version is bland.

- - -

There were two exclusives, both of them from Best Buy.

The first was a theater voucher to see "Underworld: Evolution" for free (a $10.00 value). This was attached to the re-release of the "2 Disc Unrated Extended Cut" of the first film, streeted on January 10th, 2006; sold for $14.99. I missed out as I bought my copy from Circuit City for $12.99. I'll explain after a while...

The re-release (of the original - May 25th, 2004 title) came with a (new) promo disc for the then soon to be released in theaters, "Underworld: Evolution".

This came in a printed cardboard sleeve; attached to the back of the DVD case.

That promo was available to ALL retailers.

Sorry, I don't know what that DVD-ROM link is; I can tell you, it's a Windows document - I'm an Apple user.

And I'm sorry, but I don't know the window of opportunity for that theater voucher. Anyhow, the extra disc has a run time of 8:06 minutes. The comic sneak peak is a limited gallery on the DVD. I rebought this set solely for that bonus disc. I did okay selling this extra copy on Ebay. Sway.

The second, more substantial exclusive from Best Buy was attached to the "Underworld: Evolution" release; a fifty page mini comic book, that came inside the case. A minimum of seventy-two per store.

It retold the movie and was released by IDW Publishing; adaptation by Kris Oprisko with art by Antonio Vazquez (for Sulaco Studios). This set streeted on June 6th, 2006 for $15.99.

I moved my "Special Edition" copy into a two disc case with bonus. The cardboard sleeve next to "Unrated Extended Cut". You can read more on both further down.

Just so you know, there was a full screen edition for "Evolution" with that promo.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I'll repeat myself.

I love continuity - shows you put in effort for a sequel to fit into established lore and story; world building towards a better movie and perhaps more chapters. Higher points still when they get the whole gang from last movie to reprise their roles... even those who had died.

Vampire elders Amelia (model Görög Zita) and Viktor (Bill Nighy) appear in a flashback from 1200 AD; human village slaughtered and their ranks slain from the werewolf, William Convinus. The same with the Lycan warrior Raze (Kevin Grevioux) making an appearance who also died in the first movie.

Zita has a minor, but important role in the previous feature; the then current reigning vampire elder, before Viktor was awaken, protocol broken by Death Dealer, Selene (Beckinsale). When I saw her on opening night was quite surprised. Well done.

Very few sequels do this - often picking up some years later or after the last one with no specified time reference.

Not here.

Picks up moments after the last film, even showing what had happened an escaped character - same actor, tiny role, but enriches the experience. In fact, you could edit these two into one long film and would fit with ease. Same director too, Lens Wiseman (then Beckinsale's husband).

Scott Speedman as Michael Corvin above with infamous Death Dealer. Which sounds a lot like Michael Corbin (Richard Grieco), high school kid greatly mistaken for a spy in "If Looks Could Kill" (1991).

Only person not back is Sophia Myles (Erika), don't know if she wasn't available for filming. Her character wasn't embedded to the plot of the last. She was Selene's friend at home, the vampire mansion. Oh well. It's pretty amazing how the rest came back.

As I wrote, this is world building. We get vampire and werewolf histories, how this mess all got started. The source of centuries old grudges and a solid continuation of the story. Great addition to have Sir Derek Jacobi as Alexander Convinus, father of Marcus and William; Steven Mackintosh as Arnaud Tannis, the vampire archivist and Tony Curran as Marcus.

Hope there is more to come, the last one "Underworld: Blood Wars" (2016; part V), didn't do so great at the box office. Made $30.3 million on a budget of $35,000,000 (estimated), but worldwide made over $81 million.

- - - - - - - - - -

Trivia.

Love this quote from Kate Beckinsale about her latex outfit in "Evolution"...

You actually forget you are wearing it after a while but other people sure don't. I'd bend over to tie my shoes and four guys behind me would be making groaning noises and suddenly I'd be quite aware again.
    Can totally see that. *smiles* Remembering that awesome butt shot of her from the first film. Recall her mentioning an interview, she didn't know that was in the movie and was embarrassed. That's so cute, that too.

Something I discovered while researching; the little girl who plays child Selene (flashback) was by Lily Bo Sheen, Beckinsale's daughter. What does Lily look like today? She's legal, nineteen; takes after her mom.

Also discovered there is a three part anime shorts; "Underworld: Endless War" (2012), exclusive to the "Underworld Trilogy: The Essential Collection For Underworld" Blu-Ray set. But can also be found on YouTube which I where I saw them. About eighteen minutes, together. Wiseman was production supervisor. It was decent, I liked it.

These serve as prequels to the first movie and a prequel to "Underworld: Awakening" (2012).

Selene (voiced by Laura Harris) is hunting three vicious werewolf bothers; Darius, Vregis and Krandrill from 1890 to 2012. This is adult with nudity and gore. At one point, the bothers have the women of a brothel as their armed security.

Michael Corvin is voiced by Mark Oliver.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Okay.

I should cover as a courtesy since we're talked about it. There are two DVD releases for the first film, one of which is mentioned above...

"Widescreen Special Edition" streeted on January 6th, 2004 from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (ISBN# 1-4049-4801-5) for $28.95. Came in a regular DVD case with a foil wraparound.

There was one insert, Scene Selections index (twenty-eight chapters); the other side was an ad for six other titles ("Identity: Special Edition", "The Forsaken", "Darkness Falls: Special Edition", "John Carpenter Presents Los Muertos", "Resident Evil: Special Edition" and "Forever Knight: The Trilogy - Part One".

The motion picture is one hundred twenty-one minutes long.

This was also available in a full screen version. *shakes head*

- - -

Extras:

* Commentary: director Len Wiseman, screenwriter/associate producer/second unit director/actor Danny McBride and screenwriter/associate producer/actor Kevin Grevioux
    * Commentary: creature designer Pat Tatopolous, visual effects supervisor James McQuaid and sound designer Claude Letessier
    * "The Making Of Underworld" featurette (full screen, 13:02 minutes)
    * "Creature Effects" featurette (full screen, 12:29 minutes)
    * "Stunts" featurette (full screen, 11:42 minutes)
    * "Sights & Sounds" featurette (full screen, 9:07 minutes)
    * "Storyboard Comparison" (full screen, 6:43 minutes)
    * "Worms Of The Earth" music video by Finch (non-anamorphic, 2:45 minutes)
    * Theatrical Trailer (anamorphic)
    * TV Spots (non-anamorphic)
    * Additional Trailers: "The Forsaken" (anamorphic, 2001), "John Carpenter's Vampires" (full screen, 1998), "John Carpenter Presents Los Muertos" (non-anamorphic, red band, 2002), "Resident Evil" (anamorphic, 2002) and "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" (anamorphic, 2004)

- - -

Audio:

* Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

- - -

Notes:

* This is subtitled in English, French and Spanish.
    * The DVD is dubbed in French (also in 5.1 Surround)

Credits
    Past Tense - Blood, Cleavage, Gun Play And Lycanthropes Part II

The other is "2 Disc Unrated Extended Cut"; released on May 25th, 2004 from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (ISBN# 1 4049 56891) for $34.95. Came in a two disc case with a translucent slipcover featuring Beckinsale and stats.

There were two inserts. "Drawings Of Underworld: Sketch To Scene Comparison", a fourteen page mini booklet. And a fifty page mini comic book adaptation, released by IDW Publishing; adaptation by Kris Oprisko with art by Nick Postie and Nick Marinkovich. Both came inside the case.

The unrated motion picture is one hundred thirty-four minutes long.

- - -

Extras:

* Commentary: director Len Wiseman and stars Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman
    * Thirteen minutes of restored footage.
    * Outtakes (full screen, 3:43 minutes)
    * "Fang Vs. Fiction" (full screen, 47:04 minutes; aired on American Movie Classics on September 17th, 2003)
    * "The Making Of Underworld" featurette (full screen, 13:02 minutes)
    * "Visual Effects" featurette (full screen, 9:56 minutes)
    * "Creature Effects" featurette (full screen, 12:29 minutes)
    * "Stunts" featurette (full screen, 11:42 minutes)
    * "Designing Underworld" featurette (full screen, 10:54 minutes)
    * "The Look Of Underworld" featurette (full screen, 19:11 minutes)
    * "Sights & Sounds" featurette (full screen, 9:07 minutes)
    * "Storyboard Comparison" (full screen, 6:43 minutes)
    * "Worms Of The Earth" music video by Finch (non-anamorphic, 2:45 minutes)
    * Theatrical Trailer (anamorphic)
    * TV Spots (non-anamorphic)
    * Additional Trailers: Hellboy" (anamorphic, 2004), "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" (anamorphic, 2004) and "Spider-Man 2" (anamorphic, 2004)

- - -

Audio:

* Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

- - -

Notes:

* This is subtitled in English and French.
    * The DVD is dubbed in French (also in 5.1 Surround)

If you want all the extras, you still need "Widescreen Special Edition"; two commentaries didn't carry over to enbiggen re-release. This was my first double-dip DVD.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

More sexy Halloween costumes; unlike last week - stuff that works at being feminine but is... lazy; slapped together at the last minute.

Sexy Nerd? Looks like an employee at some kind of fanboy gimmick breastaurant. The official name is "Naughty Nerd" costume. Sure it works, but not much effort was put into it.

That second is even worse - the costume is just the lab coat. You provide the rest - "Dr. Ophelia Cummings M.D. Sex Therapist". Cute, sure, but weak. The girl has to have some kind of seductive wardrobe to go under that coat or it fails.

- - -

This topic, I want to go back on a previous Past Tense for "Birds Of Prey: The Complete Series" - homage/imitation promotional art.

Who copied who? The series "Birds Of Prey" debuted on October 9th, 2002 on The WB. "Underworld" came out on September 19th, 2003. Somebody copied another.

Click to read about a detailed Selene action figure for "Underworld Evolution". 11.5 inches tall with over thirty points of articulation for $234.99; that's roughly $20.43 per inch. *nods*

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

Five more Halloween titles to consider.

"As Above, So Below" (2014)
    Nicolas Flamel was a well known fourteenth century alchemist; considered by some to have discovered his goal - the Philosopher's Stone; transmuting base metals into gold and imbuing immortality. Dr. Marlowe spent a lifetime trying to find Flamel's secret to no avail - a suicide. The present; his daughter Scarlett, a fellow seeker has taken up her father's obsession. A quest from a hidden cave in Iran to France looking for a translation on a statue found sealed away. And to the Catacombs of Paris where she believes her answers awaits. A journey that takes her and her friends through a supernatural, found-footage nightmare (excellent atmosphere).
    Universal Studios Home Entertainment - 2014 - R

"Harbinger Down" (2015)
    Graduate students on board the fishing trawler, Harbinger have found something terrible in the Bering Sea. They are present to study the effects of global warming on a pod of Belugas whales, tracked. Recording the pod with an underwater camera they come across an object in the icy waters. Fishing nets brings up a 1982 Soviet moon lander, frozen in a block of ice. The mystery of how it ended up in Bering is overshadowed by screams. The Soviets had taken Tardigrades (microscopic life form - water bears) with them to see what would happen if exposed to cosmic radiation, disastrous results. The cosmonaut got infected with a rapidly body modifying infection - as the crew members are. Can they be saved? Should they be saved if that means the world could become infected? Paranoia and terror. This was an independent, Kickstarter funded film with predominant practical effects, augmented with light CGI for wire removal. A film heavily influenced by "John Carpenter's The Thing" (1982).
    Vertical Entertainment - 2015 - NR

"I've Been Waiting For You" (1998)
    Made for NBC TV movie (aired March 22nd, 1998). Moving from Los Angeles to Pine Crest, a picturesque New England town was more pain than awkward isolation for high school student Sarah Zoltanne. Her single mother Rosemary, got work as a teacher in her school which hampers a social life. And her class life is tormented by the "Descendants Club" - kids of the oldest, riches families in town. Events unfolding has her seriously considering if something supernatural is plaguing her. In 1698 Sarah Lancaster was burned at the stake for witchcraft, her dying breath - a curse on those who murdered her; Lancaster is Sarah ancestor. A series of deaths occur within the Descendants Club, blame centers on the new girl. Growing paranoia and distrust surfaces even among the adults. A result of an illegitimate son wanting revenge? Or perhaps something else - possession or reincarnation? Stars a pre-famous Sarah Chalke, best known as Dr. Elliot Reid on the TV series, "Scrubs". Based on the novel, "Gallows Hill" by Lois Duncan who also wrote the book, "I Know What You Did Last Summer". The DVD is out of print.
    Artisan Home Entertainment - 2003 - PG-13

"Lifeforce" (1985)
    A mission of discovery into the uncharted mysteries of Halley's Comet, unleashes unimaginable horror on the crew and the world. Led by U.S. Colonel Tom Carlsen, the expedition finds an alien spacecraft nestled within the depths of the comet's energy band. Once inside, they encounter crystalline sarcophagi housing three humanoid beings. Deaths of the crew occurs when they bring the coffins back to Earth. The situation becomes apocalyptic when one of the three beings escape from an ESA research facility, setting off a chain of events that could lead to our extinction. Based on the novel, "The Space Vampires" by Colin Wilson.
    Shout! Factory - 2013 - R

"Mayhem" (2017)
    Derek Cho works for Towers & Smythe Consulting, corporate law firm. This is the firm which set a precedent over an infectious virus, ID-7 a.k.a. "Red Eye"; a virus which strip its host of inhibitions. The man who went on a murderous rampage was acquitted of all charges - unable to stop himself. Derek worst day, first he's fired, then the building is in lock down when the virus is detected - quarantined. He and Melanie Cross, who was trying to save her home from foreclosure are now targets of everyone inside. Worse yet, they discover both are infected too, but holding on. A dark allegiance; 'save my home, I'll help you kill your boss'. A bloody, brutal, comedy revenge flick.
    RLJ Entertainment, Inc. - 2017 - NR

- - -

Sexy vampires with guns and swords, mixed with werewolfs and world building - what's not to love? I own the entire franchise on DVD. Good stuff. Above is Circuit City's weekly ad. It kinda gives the impression that the promo disc was their exclusive.

That's the reason, I went with their lower price - took it home from here.

The films and their worldwide totals:

Underworld (2003) - $95,708,457
    Underworld: Evolution (2006) - $111,340,801
    Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans (2009) - $91,085,163
    Underworld: Awakening (2012) - $160,112,671
    Underworld: Blood Wars (2016) - $81,093,313

As I wrote, it should be another one - they're profitable. Oh - now have my answer...

September 13th, 2018; Kate Beckinsale spoke to Variety and gave this comment "I wouldn't return. I've done plenty of those." So there goes that.

One of the reasons is her now ex; at one point she was married to director/franchise co-creator Len Wiseman. In 2016 they filed for divorce - before the release of the last movie, "Underworld: Blood Wars". It was not a happy set, some of the worst experiences in her life as she says.

One more crypt closed.

But not close to dawn, still more sinister pursuers racing towards you in the dark. Next week you'll get a supernatural menace who likes to taunt its prey before eating victims' souls. Bring mints, you know - to be courteous.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 03-30-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Hewed Earth And Calamities Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 30th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum. And here as a mention from Limited Edition Horror 2016 entry for "30 Days Of Night".]

An additional L.E. Horror offering, a bonus - expanded into a two parter. This is a feature that could've been a classic, but plopped out as a turd. It's this year's "Stage Fright" entry ("Part I" and "Part II"). Oh boy! I say facetiously.

Clay and ego with an old school flavor in the other movie titled, "It!"...

British motion picture opened on November 15th, 1967 in America. Budget and sales is unknown. My data is limited. I was able to isolate that this opened in the United Kingdom in July of 1967. I have no box office or theatrical stats, those records appear lost to time; the internet did not cooperate. I was fortunate my internet mojo got me the next.

The feature opened (in the U.S.) against "Cool Hand Luke", "Tony Rome", "The Incident" and "Who's That Knocking At My Door".

The DVD release has no insert.

Man, if you only knew how many hours it took me to restore that poster - five hours.

- - -

Single exclusive.

An unadvertised exclusive from Best Buy. Sorry, no weekly ad picture. It streeted on October 7th, 2008 for $19.98, part of the store's Halloween offerings. Unknown how many were available at each store.

It would get a wide release on December 9th, same year - same price.

A two movie set - "It/The Shuttered Room: Horror Double Feature" from Warner Home Video. A single sided DVD, both movies are presented in anamorphic widescreen. Zero extras, not even their trailers.

Not the first time Best Buy has done this. In August 24th, 2004, the store offered a lot of "Midnite Movies Double Features" for $9.94 apiece, MGM Home Entertainment releases. Perhaps a future Past Tense.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

The subject here is "It!". This was something I picked up from Big Lots! for three bucks, years ago. Got around to watching it in May of 2014.

The feature was widely released in the U.S. on a double bill with "The Frozen Dead" (1966).

I remember watching this in the 1990s on KCOP (channel 13), didn't care for it then either.

The film is another version of the Jewish legend, mysticism.

A fire at a British museum's warehouse leaves all the stored artifacts reduced to rubble and ashes... minus one. An undamaged clay statue, called by the museum curator, Mr. Harold Grove (Ernest Clark) as "Mid-European Primitive". He is killed a moment later while inspecting the relic.

Arthur Pym (Roddy McDowall) was Grove's timid assistant; had left for a moment - to fetch a flashlight, so the curator could get a better look at the antiquity. Less than a minute later, stuck down. But by whom? That didn't make sense - at that point, the giant wasn't under anyone's authority.

The death sends Pym down a dark road once he figures out this giant is none other than the infamous Golem from the 16th century. Created by Rabbi Judah Loew as the protector of Prague, Czechoslovakia's ghetto's residents; a creation that ran amok due to his complacency.

Corruption, Pym uncovers the secret to controlling the clay figure to do his dark desires. Things escalate, resulting in a small nuke being used to bring down the soil automaton which fails. And fails reason too - out running a nuke on motorcycle.

*shakes head*

Don't be so curious. It's a crappy flick; nearly embarrassing in its juvenile logic and wanting Pym to be this Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins in "Psycho" [1960]) wannabe. Like the motel clerk, he has his long dead mother in his home in a rocking chair. Why?

Has nothing to do with the story being told. In fact, hinted since she was rocking that there was some kind of supernatural aspect at play. Which in terms of the Golem plot is true, but for Arthur's personal life...

No.

The movie was written, produced and directed by Herbert J. Leder should you care.

Anyhow he gets confidence by using the clay avatar to murder those who get in his way. He interested in the dead curator's daughter, Ellen (Jill Haworth).

Arthur is thwarted by an American broker (Paul Maxwell) who has come to London to purchase the primitive statue (made sometime in 1550) for a New York museum. Ellen and Jim enter in a relationship which infuriate Arthur. She sees Pym as a friend.

Did like this camera set-up. The bust in the background gazing upon the creature.

If this suck so bad, why am I taking about this???

Because under this muck is a good film, better writing and losing pointless story lines. The Golem is a man in suit (Alan Seller), which is fine. But when he's not moving, you need a full size prop - not just having the guy under the make-up stand still which doesn't work since you can see him ever so slightly move/breathe (umbrella scene in particular).

Plus have prop limbs for close-ups. You can see the rubber suit dent and wobble. But the overall look of the Golem is solid, it's creepy; created by Eric Carter.

But there is another part that grabbed my attention.

Pym finds an inscription on the body, takes the rub to a Jewish scholar to translate. First off, Arthur works at a museum; he should've known some department there to have it deciphered. Or maybe, just maybe this move was smart - covering his tracks for when he uses the clay brute. *shrugs* I'm probably giving the movie too much credit.

This is the part - the scholar (Richard Goolden) is concerned by what is brought to him, I enjoyed. Promotional image above. You get a taste of what this could've been...

Arthur: You have it?
    Scholar: This is a most rare thing. I don't believe that you got it off some stone as you said. If I translate it for you, will you agree to tell me the truth?
    Arthur: [pause] Yes.
    Scholar: Very well... "He who will find the secret of my life at his feet, him I will serve until beyond time. He who shall evoke me in the 17th century, beware for I cannot by fire be destroyed. He who shall evoke me in the 18th century, beware for I cannot by fire or by water be destroyed. He who evokes me in the 19th century, beware for I cannot by fire or by water or by force be destroyed. He who in the 20th century shall dare evoke me, beware for neither by fire nor water nor force nor anything by man created, can I be destroyed. He who in the 21st century evokes me must be of God's hand himself because on this Earth the person of man existeth no more." Now, tell me. Where did you get this?
    Arthur: [long pause] I traced it off an old statue that came from Czechoslovakia. Does it have any significance?
    Scholar: Significance? That statue is the great Golem, believed to have been destroyed centuries ago. If it is still in existence. IF, I say. It is probably the most powerful force on Earth today.
    Arthur: More powerful than the H-bomb?
    Scholar: [scowl] A bomb is finished when it has exploded, but the Golem will go on and on... forever. Serving or destroying.
    Arthur: What do you mean, serving?
    Scholar: It will obey whoever places the magic scroll beneath its tongue.
    Arthur: Were does one get this magic scroll?
    Scholar: If I knew that, I would not reveal it to you. Power destroys.
    Arthur: Yes. I appreciate your help.
    Scholar: I fear it.

*wicked grin*

That feels very much like that moment from John Carpenter's "Prince Of Darkness" (1987). The possessed girl, Lisa (Ann Yen) - typing at her computer in a trance...

"You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost. You will not be saved by the god Plutonium. In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!"

I'm really not into 1960s women, few exceptions and actress Jill Haworth is one of them.

The style of that era works on her; quite feminine and attractive. The other image above is from Arthur's fevered dream. It's easy to see why she's craved for.

This is a movie that screams to be remade, proper. Keep it set in the 1960s, it ain't broke.

Plot hole, rather huge - language. How can the Golem understand Arthur?

He's speaking English; shouldn't his commands be in Hebrew? Is it like Star Trek's universal translator; as in - the person who inserts the scroll is automatically understood?
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-06-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Hewed Earth And Calamities Part II

Promotional photo with the Golem holding, Pym's mother's desiccated corpse. That element should've been taken out.

Okay, towards the end; Ellen is abducted on Pym's command; she is taken in her night gown.

Back to the above pix. You can see why it looks like a man in a suit; like a rubber toga.

Which brings me to something I didn't connect until doing poster restoration.

Early production artwork on the Golem, above left. Would imagine that's suppose to be Ellen. Still being abducted in her lingerie. The clay monster looks moist and gooey, ready to fall apart - like the Tar Man (production art) from "The Return Of The Living Dead" (1985). "More brains!".

Wondering if this was something they were actually going for. I say this since the film's poster has this gooey, dripping quality around the word, "It". A gooey Golem isn't a new one.

As written in "30 Days Of Night" PT entry (Part I and Part II), the aborted Charles Bronson horror/crime flick, "The Golem". Their clay monster wasn't quite a solid.

The kill order is given; it could travel through pipes as soft mud and reform to complete its task. Maybe this was Leder's original idea as production art, kinda suggests. The sentinel could go into unexpected place, not hindered by its form. Which makes sense; how could anybody NOT see this giant lumbering about?

Another is the poster's text; "Water Can't Drown It!" Pardon? The statue doesn't need to breathe. Water maybe to weaken the clay or wash it away - you know what I mean.

The ending - it has none. The conclusion, the Golem walks into the sea... then what? The end. It made no sense, the giant did this on its own accord. Arthur was now dead. No command given. And shouldn't that thing be highly radioactive? Deadly to be around with?

This flick was also known as "Anger Of The Golem" and "Curse Of The Golem". Would NOT recommend. The only real reason to watch is Roddy McDowall who gives it his all and it's rather a train wreck - a dull one.

Sure. "The Shuttered Room" (1967) is a mess. Also known as "Blood Island". Could not decide what kind of horror movie it wanted to be, a chore to watch. By the way, in her prime - Carol Lynley was the perfect 1960s, 'girl next door'. Quite attractive, but not unapproachable.

Donald Sutherland has a bit part in it as the voice of Zebulon. Yeah even the names sounded generic. Doesn't that poster look like vomit?

Oh - Ernest Clark also co-starred in "The Frozen Dead", weak reason to bundle the films together. His screen time in "It" was a blip.

This bit landed on my lap in the evening of September 30th.

2008 DVD is out of print and is getting re-released this month.

This will street once again, now on October 23rd, 2018 for $15.99.

One catch... this is an MOD (official DVD-R with printed wraparound); part of Warner's "Archive Collection" - as in Manufacture On Demand. Same transfer.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Another sexy Halloween costume.

As with the poster, that magazine cover took hours to restore. Even had to fix the bar code. But was worth it, came out excellent.

The costume is a sexy business woman, "Working Girl" which is damn appropriate. That image kept rolling in my head when I saw it. I've seen that before, but could not remember. Then it hits me.

Quite similar to Playboy magazine's August 1989 cover. And was one my favorite covers; should've been made into a poster. The hidden rabbit logo is on the stock index chart. Cover girl is Brandi Brandt, Miss October 1987. I got this mag when I was in high school.

Was too shy to get myself. So I paid another kid to buy it for me. He knew a shop clerk who would sell adult magazines to teens who had the money, no questions.

Made me odd among my friends, I also read the articles.

The outfit is a first rate, a sexy Halloween costume. On the right woman - stunning. The glasses come with the ensemble.

This is something I would love to see actress Alexandra Daddario or Victoria Justice in. Very sway. I do appreciate that the bikini bottom matches the knit vest, a pinstripe thong.

Yes, the same Brandt who went to prison for smuggling cocaine in air plane toilets bound to Australia from Los Angeles. The ex-wife of Mötley Crüe's bassist, Nikki Sixx. She was also a Playboy cover girl again, the March 1990 issue; appearing with now President Donald Trump.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Came upon my radar last month, quite cute. Made to look like quilted dolls. These are cold cast bronze, hand painted, button eyed figurines; $11.99 each, available now.

They are roughly (varies) four and a half inches tall. Something that could - if you have decent space, fit on your desk. Or display them around your home video collection, next to the horror titles. *nods*

Left pix; clockwise: Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Leatherface, Dracula, The Gill-Man and Pinhead. Right pix (same): Frankenstein Monster, The Bride, Frankie Holding Bride and Bride Holding Frankie.

Tiny sign in the Gill-Man's bowl, reads "No Fishing". These are kinda pricey for such small figurines. But would like to own the entire collection.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendation.

Okay, fine - have three.

"Duel" (1971)
    Made for ABC TV movie (aired November 13th, 1971). A film directed by a pre-famous, Steven Spielberg with a screenplay by Richard Matheson. A movie that became the precursor to "Jaws" (1975). Timid, middle-aged, traveling salesman David Mann is on a business trip in his Plymouth Valiant - traveling through the Mojave Desert when unintentionally catches the wrath of a decrepit, tanker truck that wants him dead. Unrelenting, single minded pursuit - David must rise up from being a pushover to save himself from a metallic force of nature. We do not see the driver, the tanker IS the character. It was a hit when it aired and was given a limited European theatrical release with eighteen minutes of additional footage (which is the DVD). Based on the short story of the same name, published in Playboy (April 1971 issue).
    Universal Studios Home Video - 2003 - NR

"John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness" (1987)
    On special request of a priest; a group of grad students led by Professor Howard Birack venture to an abandoned Los Angeles church. Within the basement they find an ancient canister with a glowing, green swirling liquid and a book detailing its history. As the group uncovers more than they wish to believe; the fluid escapes, transforming members of the collective into unholy disciples. Trapped in the building, survivors plot an escape, but must now prevent The Dark from releasing its father onto our world from the beyond.
    Shout! Factory - 2013 - R

"The Terror: The Complete First Season" (2018)
    Not a movie, but a limited run horror/gothic TV series which ran for ten weeks on AMC. Based on real events (unknown elements fictionalized). In 1846, the British Royal Navy launched two, state of the art ships to find the Northwest Passage (quicker trade route to Asia) through the Arctic; the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror. Upon reaching the top of the world and consumed by glory, both vessels become stuck in the ice - damaged. The plan was to make due for a few months, until the sheet melts; return home in failure. Nature had other plans, no thaw in the Spring or Summer. Things continue to grow worse, escalating into dire circumstances. The crews discover that their canned food supply has gone bad, what hasn't - could very well be tainted. The bleak landscape offers no indigenous food, some decide to engage at creative survival in secret. And a slow brewing insurgence comes into existence. The worst isn't from the harsh environment, malnutrition, fatigue, mutiny or broken spirits... but from what's out there - on the ice, an unknown. Not a polar bear, something else - large and powerful. Something scheming to consume the men inside, something abominable. Based on the Dan Simmons' novel of the same name.
    Lionsgate - 2018 - NR

- - -

Last promotional image - Haworth; could do without the cigarette.

...Bela Lugosi's Dead?

Just making sure.

More horror awaits next week. Come back with courage and a mind on doing the right thing - even if that means chopping your friends into pieces... because.

Credits
    Target - October 16th, 2018

Ant-Man And The Wasp
    Exclusive photo book; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Stranger Things: Season One (available now)
    Excusive store release; BD/DVD combo $8.00

Skyscraper (available now)
    Exclusive bonus content (appears to be on the Blu-Ray); BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 10/19

"Bohemian Rhapsody - Soundtrack" exclusive poster $11.99

Credits
    Best Buy - October 16th, 2018

Ant-Man And The Wasp
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Ash Vs. Evil Dead: The Complete Series
    Exclusive packaging and Ash bobble head; BD/DC combo $49.99

Hotel Transylvania 3 (available now)
    Exclusive glow-in-the-dark steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $32.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Don't Play With Books Covered In Human Skin Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 30th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

"Limited Edition Horror" 2018 continues with horrible images that play on your fear and insecurities, taking a classic - making a reboot; scream for "Evil Dead"...

The motion picture opened on April 5th, 2013. It was made with a budget of $17,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $54 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number five.

The feature opened against "Olympus Has Fallen", "Jurassic Park 3D" (re-released, upscaled 3D), "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" and "Oz The Great And Powerful".

This release (Blu-Ray) originally came with a non-embossed cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It came with three small inserts. 1) Sony Rewards code, the back side - ad for "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", "Drive", "Looper" and "Parker" on BD. 2) Ad for Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights; Evil Dead Maze (Hollywood, CA and Orlando, FL attractions - opened September 20th, 2013). The backside had a contest (for two), win a trip to either location; round trip air transportation, three nights hotel, two day admission and one night admission to Halloween Horror Nights. Contest was from July 16th to August 16th, 2013. 3) Digital Copy (UltraViolet instructions. It expires on December 31st, 2016. The rear was more Blu-Ray videos ad; "Insidious", "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark", "The Woman In Black" and "The Last Exorcism: Part II".

DVD version came with the same inserts, no slipcover.

- - -

Two store exclusives, both for Blu-Ray edition.

Best Buy had an exclusive bonus disc, a DVD. It has a run time of 25:51 minutes. This set streeted on July 16th, 2013 for $22.99. It came in a two disc BD case.

And coupon for five dollars off any Blu-Ray title $9.99 and up if you bring to Customer Service - any DVD in original condition (no burned copies) for discount.

Should be noted, Best Buy's exclusive did not come with the slipcover. Only the regular BD editions came with it.

I have a Best Buy story - in a moment.

On release day, Target had one of their own, an exclusive steelbook. Did not buy this, but I suspect it came with the same inserts. This sold for $19.99.

Have spoken of this in the past, not into Blu-Rays. I did however purchase the Best Buy exclusive, hoping it would be a DVD - it was. My plan was to hold on to the bonus - wait for a lower priced DVD movie and put them both in a two disc case, which was accomplished.

I was naughty. *smile*

On August 6th, 2013, walked into Best Buy and found their media area changed. DVDs and such were not reduced, but the isles were relocated more inside the store, not so much near the checkouts as they were. Plus they were no longer horizontal, the isles to registers.

Had to reoriented myself; where's the TV shows, horror, drama and the like. Then I noticed, they have a sale not listed in their weekly ad, "Evil Dead" on DVD for $4.99.

The thing - the sign was so haphazardly placed; in between the 2013 remake (BD/DVD versions) and the Blu-Rays for the original film. The five dollar title was meant for the DVD editions of the 1981 classic; they had two copies, both were vertical on the self - their spines showing. The rest were facing (covers) to you.

So a thought popped. What if? I had been wanting this title for weeks and that's a great price. Grabbed a 2013 DVD copy and took it to the register. This was selling for twenty bucks.

I explained that the sale sign reads $4.99. Not sure, someone was sent to check, a moment later - a price override. Very sway. This may have worked since my store had relocated its isles, things are out of their normal place.

The following week the sale was gone, don't know if that was because it was only a week long. Or maybe there was too much confusion since they only had two, maybe then less copies of the genuine title for sale.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

The battle if we can put it that way; in which we're involved, is a battle, it's a battle for the whole - I should say, I'm tempted to say, the soul of the nation... but that's not for me. BUT for the whole quality of our culture.
    - Mary Whitehouse

Had the movie for ten months before watching. Do appreciate, R rated horror. It's part of my library. But not without flaws.

The feature has next to zero humor, played dead serious with dire consequences. Some light moments would've been nice. Doesn't have to be all bleak. But I am okay with the absence.

Biggest problem... above image is a good metaphor; David (Shiloh Fernandez; foreground) and Mia (Jane Levy) at the door are the fully developed. The remaining are all red shirts, including the dog. Having people move in the background does not equal characterization. These allegedly important roles were utterly expendable. We have no investment in them and their ultimate demise feels like an excuse for gore, has no weight.

Yes, I am aware - a slasher flick. But good slashers have characters to root for beyond the survivor girl. Most of them have low budgets and short on story; so they make up the loss with interesting, memorable people. What do we have here?

Olivia (Jessica Lucas) is a nurse. Eric (Lou Taylor Pucci) moves the plot forward by unleashing the demon, but beyond that??? He's friends with Mia and Olivia; used to be pals with David - that's it. And Natalie (Elizabeth Blackmore) is David's current girlfriend (hinted that he and Olivia used to be a couple). She's the worst here. Her character is such a blank slate, 'girlfriend'... AND???

Natalie might as well be named Shannon Fodder. *sigh*

Man, Lucas was such a waste. She should've lasted longer to give aid and medical exposition. This could be some kind of virus.

An Evil Virus... just ask Tristana Medeiros.

The deaths are insane and disturbing, but they only serve a single purpose - gore.

Make me care, not cringe; linked with the weak characters these two subject prevent it from becoming a modern classic. Could've been better... perhaps fixed in that unrated version.

- - -

There were concern over the re-imaging of the hero; Ash as a girl. Can't say I wasn't without worry. It can be disastrous. But as with Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff) from Ronald D. Moore's reboot of "Battlestar Galactica" we got fried gold.

A major decision to have none of the original character names in the movie. There's no Ash character. And that was a big issue with a lot of fans. Well if Ash isn't in it, then it's not an "Evil Dead" movie. It's like, yeah, it is. It's just with a different generation. And we don't want the same anything; I don't want some guy trying to imitate my over acting performance, you know. Why bother? Leave the guy alone. So all these other actors now in this movie get to create their own thing. And Jane Levy by the end of this; she's taking this movie, you know - by the shoulders. And she's screaming at it in the face. She's taking it, this movie over. So if people want to call her the new Ash. I say do it. She's earned it.

Traditional Hollywood horror movies are a female protagonist, running around and screaming. And it's mostly female orientated as far as the victims goes. When "Evil Dead" came around, Sam Raimi's theory was make a man scream like a woman. So that it'll be; that's how much worse it's gonna be. This guy is gonna run around and screaming his head off, 'cause he wanted to amp the horror up. And now this is actually a little more of a traditional throwback. In the original, little Super 8 we used to raise money for the first "Evil Dead", called "Within The Woods" [1978] had a female protagonist. So we kind of have gone back to the roots of the roots of the roots in a way. So it's more traditional, but it's more how we started the original idea - it was with a woman.
    - Bruce Campbell

What's so odd is finding out who was trying for Mia - Gillian Jacobs auditioned, but lost to Lily Collins. Jacobs, better known as Britta Perry from the NBC series "Community". That's random, but I can envision her as the tormented girl. But she Britta'd it. Anyhow Collins left the project for reason(s) unknown. Which is good (for me). Don't really care for her.

By the way, that Super 8 short was thirty-two minutes long; proto-"Evil Dead". Can be found online. *cough YouTube cough*

Production really lucked out with Jane Levy, last minute replacement; made Mia noteworthy. Her possessed appearance is a call back to Regan (Linda Blair) from "The Exorcist" (1973), creepy as hell.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-06-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Don't Play With Books Covered In Human Skin Part II

Special features chronicle her part. How she had to endure much for the role (and breakdown). There's a moment where she's talking to the camera, after showering - washing the fake blood and mud off. Her face took my attention, a bruise on the side. Make-up is off, washed.

I think that's real.

Don't you underestimate my dirty mind. My dirty talk. My dirty thoughts.
    - She Wants Revenge

She was best known as Tessa Altman on ABC's "Suburgatory" (2011). Tessa getting possessed and murdering folks; please, let it be Dalia. When will seasons two and three come out on DVD? Why it hasn't happened yet?

Am bummed we didn't get a fourth season, but they wrote themselves in a corner - final episodes.

Now she is known as Jackie Torrance from Hulu's streaming series, "Castle Rock" (2018), Stephen King's multiverse show. Jackie is the niece of Jack Torrance (played by Jack Nicholson) from movie adaptation "The Shining" (1980) and of course novel of the same name.

Back on topic; early reports came out Diablo Cody was writing the script. I like her, but there are many who despise the woman. Turns out she touched it up. Screenplay was written by Fede Alvarez (who directed) and Rodo Sayagues - not Americans. Cody was brought in to tweak dialog, Americanized them.

Don't have a problem - cultural thing.

Above, behind-the-scenes image of Jessica Lucas being transformed into her possessed self. Yes, that's a spoiler. Awesome effect.

- - -

Once again, DVD got screwed on extras. Let me start by saying the film is only ninety-one minutes long. A short, get to the point flick. Missing are two featurettes and a commentary.

These are short featurettes; "Evil Dead: The Reboot" is ten minutes and "Unleashing The Evil Force" is five minutes. The commentary by director/co-writer Alvarez with co-writer Sayagues and stars Jane Levy, Lou Taylor Pucci and Jessica Lucas. All of this can easily fit on the disc. There's not excuse for their absence, not Blu-Ray native - simple bonuses.

On that commentary, director talks about wanting to release an unrated version for home video. The film originally received an NC-17; cuts were made to secure an R. The trailer has scenes not in the film.

- - -

Good remakes?

I would say "A Nightmare On Elm Street" (2010) - don't get mad. I say it because the first quarter had such great promise; being its own film. Then it quickly descended into mediocrity. Bears repeating - Jackie Earle Haley is NO Robert Englund. Why was he channeling Christian Bale's Batman?

Other good horror remakes include "The Wolfman" (2010), "Dawn Of The Dead" (2004, Part I and Part II); "The Blob" (1988; which got a special edition, but only on Blu-Ray from Twilight Time; I'm still hoping for a better DVD down the line); "The Time Machine" (2002); "Disturbia" (2007); "Friday The 13th" (2009); "The Ring" (2002, Part I and Part II); "The Mummy (1999) and "The Fly" (1986).

Few good ones and LOTS of bad ones.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Two stingers during and conclusion of end credits.

First is audio from the original film, Bob Dorian as Professor Knowby - his tape recording about finding the cursed book, Naturon Demonto.

The second is an uncredited cameo by Bruce Campbell playing Ash and saying "Groovy" before the credits close. A bit of CGI work. He's shown in half light, showing the side of his face, young Ash. He then turns to camera, old Ash. The end.

The film has very minor CGI. It was used for technical reasons; removal of wires and effects equipment. I do appreciate that. As it should be, it's a tool not a crutch (for lack of story).

In the photo shown above some, Jane Levy is sitting on a 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 and wearing a Michigan State sweatshirt. Both were homages to the original. Ash owned that (model) car and had that sweatshirt. *nods*

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Two items.

A music video...

Do a YouTube search for "Blood Red Sandman" by Lordi. They're a heavy metal band from Finland, cut from the same cloth as Gwar. The music video a loving tribute to the original "Evil Dead". Or if you know how, "opaxEWKagh8". It's still there (as of writing), checked. Uploaded on January 22nd, 2008 by DrakkarEntertainment.

Watch their other music videos (sings in English). Catchy songs.

Even more sexy Halloween costumes.

Two excellent ideas; first is Millennial Snow White, though the costume is named "Hipster Snow White". And Sexy Lone Ranger, called "Lone Rider". *shakes head* I am impressed that this features a star badge, not something printed on the costume - a good call and enhances the outfit.

I do have issue with Snow's shorts, like granny panties. It should be like Ranger's booty shorts. That same size, just in yellow with the same red trims. You should be able to see her tummy. Other than that, it's a winner.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

Five more titles to consider this Halloween.

"The Fourth Kind" (2009)
    Both a mocumentary and dramatized feature; purported to concern the extraordinary claims by psychologist Dr. Abigail Emily "Abbey" Tyler. In 2000 she used hypnosis to help one of her patients in Nome, Alaska. The recovered memories concerning an alien abduction. In that altered state she witnesses things that should not happen. This starts her own investigation to find the truth. Recreations of Dr. Tyler's sessions are shown in a split screen with the alleged real hypnosis, video tape footage. The stakes rise when Tyler's own child, Ashley goes missing under mysterious circumstances.
    Universal Studios Home Entertainment - 2010 - PG-13

"Grizzly" (1976)
    A rip-off of "Jaws" (1975); replaces uber fish with big mammal. North West forest, a national park is being stalked by a hungry, violent beast - a fifteen foot grizzly with a taste for human flesh. The park's chief ranger Michael Kelly, photographer Allison Corwin and helicopter pilot Don Stober attempt to stop the giant bear, but are frustrated by all the red tape. They decided to end the rampage themselves. Go with the Kino version, this has been remastered. A side movie with pretty much the same plot is "Prophecy" (1979); changes prehistoric grizzly with a giant bear mutated from toxic waste.
    Kino Lorber - 2014 - R

"The Hidden" (1987)
    Something is changing law abiding citizens into monstrous hyper-violent psychopaths. The robberies and murders has L.A. police detective Tom Beck baffled. It doesn't help when mysterious F.B.I. agent, Lloyd Gallagher tells him a ruthless extraterrestrial parasite is taken over the bodies of innocent victims - using them as vessels for its acts with an intense fondness for heavy metal music, fast cars and food.
    New Line Home Video - 2000 - R

"Hostile" (2017)
    The world came to an end from a terrorist attack, an exotic chemical used - turned pandemic. The ones who survive, struggle to exist. While scavenging for her camp, Juliette's armored SUV has an accident leaving her stranded in the desert with a broken leg, stuck in her car - things gets much worse. One of the new creatures of this world is stalking her. If she want to survive to dawn, she must be creative. A bittersweet post-apocalypse feature, told in flashbacks.
    4Digital Media Limited - 2018 - NR

"Tell Me How I Die" (2016)
    College student Anna is hurting bad for money, reluctantly takes the offer to participate in the clinical study of a experimental drug; $2,000 for the weekend. The research is conducted far from the city in a corporate testing facility, Hallorann Laboratory in the wilderness. The drug is suppose to improve memory, perhaps even curing alzheimers. But there is a side effect in a few, Anna included is able to see into their own futures. Not awe, but horror as there is someone inside murdering them... later that day. A killer who has the same future memory ability. A cat and mouse chase, trying to outmaneuver their own fates.
    Entertainment One - 2017 - NR

Come back next Thursday for a bloody crescendo closing Limited Edition Horror 2018; pale, emotionless face with the blackest eyes - the Devil's eyes!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Update - October 23rd, 2018.

No fanfare at all, just dumped for $24.99.

On this day, the Unrated version was released; Blu-Ray only, where's the DVD??? This is a two disc set. The first is the unrated cut, zero extras. The second disc is the previous release. Unrated is bare bones - why NOT have a DVD release too?
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 10-02-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Ahead Of The Curve With Camera, Ghouls And Legends Part I

An additional, brand new L.E. Horror bonus offering! A documentary remix with bite - "The Definitive Document Of The Dead"...

The program had a single theater opening on January 19th, 1981, Joseph Papp's Public Theater in New York. It was made with a budget of $33,000 (estimated). There is zero box office stats, it was an independent theater.

It didn't - but had it opened wide, the documentary would've opened against "Scanners", "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow" and "Scream" (a.k.a. "The Outing"). Man, that research was not consolidated, took hours to collate.

The release came as a DVD and BD/DVD combo, neither of which came with a slipcover or an insert.

- - -

There were three exclusives, all from Synapse Films dot com.

The documentary had a reasonably wide DVD release on November 13th, 2012 for $19.95. But if you ordered directly from their website there was another option.

An exclusive Blu-Ray + DVD combo for $29.95 (not sold in stores) with a 17" x 13 1/2" fold out poster of the cover art by Wes Benscoter without text. This streeted on the same date. Not gonna post the poster - same image.

In addition to the these, it had another exclusive - the BD has the original 1979, educational sixty-six minute version - remastered as an bonus.

The combo had a limited run of 1,500 copies (region free).

Shipping was included with the total if curious.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There's history here that needs to be addressed before I can go further.

The year was 1977; teacher Roy Frumkes at New York's School Of Visual Arts wanted to create an instructional film for his students (shot on 16mm). He had two choices; Earl Owensby's "Wolfman" (1979) or George A. Romero's "Dawn Of The Dead" (1978). Which would hold his kids' attention?

Zombies won.

Frumkes got a grant to film his subject on $7,000 dollars for a twenty-five minute presentation - this became "Document Of The Dead". It grew and grew to cost thirty-three thousand and inflated to sixty-six minutes long. It was a hit for his students... and became somewhat legendary since he pretty much was the only one who captured behind-the-scenes footage on the now horror classic.

Frumkes had interviews with the cast, director and effects master, Tom Savini. This didn't happen at the time, quite common in the later age of laser disc and DVD, special features.

It would become famous to fanboys when in 1988, one of Frumkes' former students, Len Anthony had an ambitious idea. Put the rarely seen (outside of school) documentary on the home video market for his new production company Off Hollywood. But needs more current content... and synchronicity surfaced again with Romero.

New footage was added, twenty-four more minutes from Romero's then current production, "Two Evil Eyes" (1989). Same deal, interviews - now shot on video tape with a $50,000 price tag. Version 2.0 was edited into an eighty-four minute documentary and was released in '89; major hit on VHS - sold for $79.95, presented in Hi-Fi stereo. Narrated by Susan Tyrrell and Nicole Potter.

Fans of "Dawn Of The Dead" got to see rarely seen footage, "Two Evil Eyes" was just gravy (never achieved the status as the '78 motion picture).

Version 3.0 was released on DVD in 1998 from Synapse Films; streeted on October 13th, '98 for $29.95 (region free). The picture quality is good/decent. The later footage looks better.

Now was given a commentary by Frumkes with director of photography Reeves Lehmann; six minutes of deleted scenes as well as a never before scene interview on the set of "Two Evil Eyes" with actress Adrienne Barbeau.

The following year, it was also released as a special edition laser disc (same content); streeted on May 15th, 1999 for $39.95.

3.0 would later be given another DVD release as a bonus on Anchor Bay Entertainment's mega box set - "George A. Romero's Dawn Of The Dead: Ultimate Edition", a massive four disc collection which collects the different cuts of the feature with a ton of bonus materials (and easter eggs). With a folded booklet - mall map and a comic book adaptation...

A twenty-six page mini comic; from IDW Publishing; written by Steve Niles with art by Chee. It retold the movie, up to when the stolen TV helicopter first lands on the mall's rooftop. Part of a bigger official comic book adaptation, graphic novel.

This was a region one release.

The box streeted on September 7th, 2004 for $49.98.

And v3 appeared as a bonus for the United Kingdom's release of "Dawn" from Arrow Films; released on March 1st, 2010, DVD/Blu-Ray combo for £29.99. There were various complaints on their Blu-Ray: colors are muted and 'ghosting' on action/motion scenes.

This is out of print and selling, brand new for £500.00 (not joking, an Amazon listing).

The 2010 release came with four art sleeve options (double sided), the main slipcase is a window - you decide what cover should be shown. It also came with a double sided folded poster and "For Every Night There's A Dawn" collector's booklet.

Romero in plaid, above.

And now this - v4.0 came to life when Synapse wanted to re-release their title, remastered with a brand new commenatry by Frumkes. And like before - include new interviews. This time from the sets of various Romero productions such as "Land Of The Dead" (2005), "Diary Of The Dead" (2008), "Survival Of The Dead" (2009) and 'Dead' reunion. V4 took out all the footage/interivews from "Two Evil Eyes".

The new remix became one hundred two minutes long.

The reunion footage is from Chiller Theatre 2005 convention; the after party was fascinating and quite nostalgic. Various actors and crews from many of the Romero 'Dead' films appear. Great stuff.

Should be noted that two of the above were posted as previous Past Tenses; Limited Edition Horror entries no less!

"Land Of The Dead" - Part I, Part II and Part III.

"Diary Of The Dead" - Part I, Part II and Part III.

Should also be noted that the commentary and extras from v3.0 didn't not carry over into v4.0 or Ultimate Edition box. Those are exclusive to the American 1998/1999 releases. Extras DO appear on the Arrow Films release.

Yup, that is a terrible looking laser disc cover; like they gave up and allowed a failed high school student who play with photographic paper and a puke green colored filter. Joy!

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

When I heard this was coming, pre-ordered on October 11th, 2012 on my Visa, had to have this. But I ran into a problem.

Package arrived November 17th and it was my 'wrong trousers'.

They sent me the combo by mistake, not the DVD edition. I wrote to the company and got a reply from Don May, Jr. - proprietor of Synapse Films...

Thank you for being so honest about us shipping you the combo version by mistake! Most people would've never have told us they got the more expensive version for the cheaper price. If you want to return it, I guess you can do so, but what you got there was the same DVD version, with the bonus Blu-ray and poster added. Looks like our shipping got their wires crossed and maybe somehow cross-referenced the wrong order.

If you'd like to keep the item, since it is the limited version and it has everything the DVD only version had (but with the Blu-ray bonus disc and poster added), then you certainly can. It was our mistake shipping the more valuable one to you and we apologize. Just keep it if you'd like, in lieu of us shipping out the less valuable version to you. If you would like to return it for the DVD only, then you can send it to...
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-06-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Ahead Of The Curve With Camera, Ghouls And Legends Part II

I sent the combo back and received the DVD on November 29th. I had made a request, if it was possible - could you send me one of those exclusive posters? They did.

Have that poster inside the DVD case. Probably one of the few who can claim that, definitely sway.

And yes, I am that anal to have kept that info (above) all these years.

- - -

I now have it because of this post.

Work/research began on September 19th, 2018 on the entry. And discovered I was lacking. Did not know that my copy of doc on "Dawn Of The Dead" box set - excludes the extras from the 1998 DVD.

So being anal, I had to have this. Looked about on Ebay and found a copy, brand new for $5.70 (total with shipping). A great deal. It arrived on the 28th, mint.

Now part of my collection.

- - -

The 2012 documentary is full of gems, zero buyer's remorse. One of many moments is an interview with Romero's daughter, Tina. She tells of her and brother's Christmases at home. How her dad made them VERY memorable...

My dad was the ultimate Santa Claus - and not in the sense that he got us whatever we wanted, but in that he really made us believe that Santa existed. And every year there would be something new. Like one Christmas, Santa 'left' his wallet behind. And in the wallet, there - my dad had gone and gotten currency from all over the world. And a little card for a reindeer food shop. And like credit cards. And I don't know where he got this stuff. And with it he left a big red glove.

And one Christmas - this is my favorite memory. My brother [Cameron] was skeptical and said, 'Dad, I want to set-up a video camera. I want to test whether Santa exists.' And my dad said, "okay". And they set-up a camera on our stairwell and my dad got his friend to dress up like Santa and come in. BUT they waited until like three in the morning because this was in real time - they started filming when we went to bed. And they waited till the middle of the night. And just they stayed up and had Jason [Flemyng?] walk around the house and come into the front door. And my dad rigged lighting outside the house to make it look like the silhouette of a sleigh taking off. [laughing].
    They show the wallet. Contents also include his social security card - his full name is "Santario Wolfgang Claus", ID# 082-07-0107; a business card "S.W. Claus: Toy Maker & Teamster"; his Medicaid card, ID# 082-09-7471-B; 10% off senior citizen discount card for Long John Silver's restaurant (at all Tampa Bay [Florida] area locations) - expired on May 31st, 1990. Man, that made me laugh.

This is so frackin' cool. If I have a kid, I would love to do that.

- - -

Since were talking about "Dawn" I would like to mention something that didn't happen. Above is the 2013 poster for the re-release which was to have the movie upscaled into 3D. The project was announced then things went silent.

Perhaps it was a technical issue, funding woes or a bit of both. *shrugs* I was curious.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

One final sexy Halloween costume. You knew this was coming.

This is "Zombie School Girl" which is lost opportunity to call it 'Zombie School Ghoul'. C'mon, that was so obvious. This works, gets the job done, but could be better.

There a costume accessory (not for this one), a bloody, torn bustier with guts hanging out on the side - looks quite squishy and moist. That mixed with this outfit would be perfect. *nods*

Hey, I have a question - what got eaten on her?

She has a bloody hand print on her crotch.

Oh dear!

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Looking about online for the different researches and stuff, I came across this image, a promotional pix for "Creature From The Black Lagoon" (1954). The Gill-Man holding actress Julie Adams (quite the hottie back in the day), walking onto the beach.

I had not seen this picture before. And there's a reason why. The suit has holes so water can fall out. Holes in the mask and legs were dripping, streaming water. I can see why it wasn't widely used, breaks the illusion.

Spent close to an hour on repairing/restoring. I'm happy with it, thought I'd share. *wink*

By the way, he's my favorite of the Universal monsters. It's too bad unlike "The Mummy", "Dracula", "Frankenstein", "The Wolf Man" or even "The Invisible Man". We only got three "Creature" films in that franchise.

There should've been more.

- - -

Old school Breakfast Club; actors left to right Gaylen Ross, Scott Reiniger, Ken Foree and David Emge. "...Don't you forget about me."

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

Have two more!

"George A. Romero's Dawn Of The Dead: Extended Mall Hours" (2008)
    This is a bootleg edition of the 1978 classic, remixed by OfficiallyUnofficial. Sequel to "Night Of The Living Dead" (1968). An unknown force has raised the bodies of the recently dead, causing them to stalk and devour the living. As the big cities are literally being eaten up from within, four survivors flee to an isolated shopping center. After cleansing the mall of its undead tenants and sealing it up, they create a tiny closed society for themselves. Paradise does not last long when a gang of roving bikers set their sights on the locale's goods, unleashing the outside world back in. This edit was made by combining two versions, 'Cannes Cut' and Dario Argento's "Zombi" ('78) version. Why not theatrical? The theatrical cut was created by editing the Cannes Film Festival presentation. Now 139 minutes from the original 127 minute release; a much richer film, more somber with better characterization and more gore. My default version.
    Bootleg - 2008- NR

"The Midnight Hour" (1985)
    Made for ABC TV movie (aired November 1st, 1985). New England small town of Pitchford Cove - Halloween evening; five high school friends looking for both fun and killin' time before the big party set in motion the apocalypse. The idea was to do a mock incantation at the local cemetery; even going so far as borrowing vintage outfits from the town's museum and various found artifacts, such as an hidden scroll (in a dusty trunk). Nothing happens, a time waster. They leave to prepare for the shindig. It is Phil Grenville who encounters them first, the nerdy kid of the lot - the dead have risen with demons from Hell and a resurrected witch, Lucinda Cavender who seeks vengeance on the descendants who murdered her centuries ago. The situation is a nightmare, everyone is in costume, the dead blend among the living. Phil finds help with teen Sandy Matthews who also realizes the impossible is happening; everyone who dies will now come back to murder the living; starting with Pitchford Cove then the planet. The only way to reverse - break the curse back at the cemetery, but the objects used are separated and time is running out; once it hits 12AM, it becomes permanent. The movie is cut from the same clothe as "Hocus Pocus" (1993), even having a random musical number. With a great soundtrack of classic and (then) contemporary rock. Sadly the DVD is long out of print.
    Anchor Bay Entertainment - 2000 - NR

More wickedness coming next Thursday. The horror of failing to get a remake done right. Man, there are apologists still trying to save face. See you then.

I have a new update for the "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective" - this month is the movie's 50th anniversary.

Hey wait!

Something hit me - a connection. Late actor Charles Rocket played the father, Dave Dennison in "Hocus Pocus" - he had an unlisted cameo in "The Midnight Hour"; the party goer dressed as the goth drag queen.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-06-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Credits
    Target - October 23rd, 2018

Mamma Mia!: Here We Go Again - Sing Along Edition
    Exclusive bonus content (bonus DVD); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 10/26

"Andrea Bocelli - Si" with two exclusive bonus tracks $13.99

Credits
    Best Buy - October 23rd, 2018

Mamma Mia!: Here We Go Again - Sing Along Edition
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Ash Vs. Evil Dead: The Complete Series (available now)
    Exclusive packaging and Ash bobble head; BD/DC combo $49.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Death Has Come To Your Little Town Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 31st, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This final entry for 2018's "Limited Edition Horror" brings us a reimagined boogeyman in Rob Zombie's "Halloween"...

The motion picture opened on August 31st, 2007. It was made with a budget of $15,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $58 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $80,253,908. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "Stardust", "The Bourne Ultimatum", "Mr. Bean's Holiday" and "Superbad".

I'm going to be talking about the exclusives for two disc (DVD) set. This did not come with a slipcover. I am unable to answer if this came with any kind of inserts - I no longer have this edition. I'll explain in few, though I don't believe it did.

- - -

There were a few exclusive offerings.

First off, Best Buy sold the DVD set with an exclusive lenticular slipcover which was different from the wraparound (above right). I still have mine, the slipcover; I was wicked and I'll leave it at that. This streeted on December 18th, 2007 and sold for $19.99, a minimum of ten per store.

Sorry, I do not have the store's weekly ad.

Circuit City on the same date had an exclusive bonus DVD (no printed label) for $17.99 - "ComicCon 2007: Halloween Panel". This came inside the case within a white CD envelope. It just plays, no menu screen. This has a run time of 20:35 minutes.

I bought my copy from here. And once again, I apologize I have no weekly advertisement. I did however find a quote from the ad.

Free Bonus Disc with 45 minutes of extra content including a behind the scenes look at Rob Zombie’s Halloween".
    Nope. It's twenty minutes and no behind-the-scenes footage.

Blockbuster Video had a rental with an exclusive bonus interview, "A Conversation With Rob Zombie". Release date? I'm going to say... the same street. I didn't know about this until 2012; found a copy for sale (roughly two bucks) at a swap meet.

The interview has a run time of 8:44 minutes. Don't ask about the store's price - don't have a clue.

The weakest of the lot was from Hot Topic, yeah you read correctly. They offered an exclusive "Authentic Rob Zombie Autograph"; looks like it was printed (signature) on the DVD's wraparound. Same street date, price is unknown.

- - -

Why do I no longer own the two disc edition? A better version surfaced the following year, October 7th, 2008. A "3-Disc Unrated Collector's Edition". Now a four disc set since I included that bonus DVD. I found a four disc case and moved them all there. That CD envelope is also inside. This newer SE sold for $24.95.

The three disc set came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. No insert(s).

It includes all the extras from the 2007 set with a four hour, nineteen minute in-depth documentary, "Michael Lives: The Making Of "Halloween"". Unrated movie by the way is 121 minutes long.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Oh man. *shakes head*

Lets start here...

Fuçk.

I like using the F word; as it was meant - an exclamation or a verb; to give it meaning, used it when the time calls for it. Not a word to be used with every other sentence. You devalue 'Fuçk'

For crying out loud, use the F word right! I'm not trying to be funny. Words must have weight, its for communicating ideas; transfer of legacies.

The overuse of the F word here bothered me. Don't let it be a crutch. I'm fine with cursing, just be creative - show me that you're thinking.

Man, fans of the original (myself included) were so disappointed by the remake. By the way, why does everything looking dirty, not dirty hot, but dirty as in white trash. Why? That was so ridiculous.

But as you may have expected, the meat of this is about Zombie creating an unnecessary back story.

Look, Michael Myers is the monster under the bed in the flesh. You don't need to show me how his childhood was so horrible, it drove him to become a murderer.

The notion I got is if wee Michael (Daeg Faerch) had a better youth he would be a normal child. NO!!! He is not a victim. He is Death. Not some kid to feel sorry for. Dude, you've taken all the wind from the sails and made him ultra common, not legendary.

I met him, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
    - Dr. Sam Loomis ('78)

That's it.

Not a kid with bad parents who got bullied - he's a monster. Something, not someone. That's all the answer necessary. We didn't need to see his life in the asylum, Michael making crafts in his cell. That part made me mad.

Don't make him human! He's the Reaper!

I'll be honest. Looking with 2018 eyes, John Carpenter's "Halloween" (1978) does drag at the start. But once it goes on the evening of said movie, things pick up. We are given big scoops of character development, then the carnage begins.

There were big ass plot holes in the original, how did Michael know where to find his sister? How did he know how to get back to Haddonfield? How did he learn to drive a car to get there? He's lived most of his life, youth included in a padded cell. You know what? That **** didn't matter. The man has a supernatural quality.

The remake removes all the extraordinary for a more reality based situations. But when you take the paranormal out, you're left with a crappy character who got to his locations with tons of dumb luck, none of them calculating decisions which is what classic Myers had.

Yes, there were a hint of the supernatural in the sequel (2009), but seriously - too little too late; Samhain written in blood in the classroom. Did they ever say who's blood that was? Did they even care?

What's very sad is that this is best version in the can. There were reshoots to save the movie before it hit the big screen. And in the end, it's only a step better than what was released. The original ending... was weaker. For the people who love it; you need to see more motion pictures made before 1995, a lot more - perspective.

I like this quote...

Because I think violence is completely gratuitous within the context of the movie; that is to say - every movie has it's on rules. You can really set up any game that you want. But once you do that, you really have to play that game, otherwise the audience feels... they know something is wrong, something is not working.
    - director David Cronenberg

Damn true. The audience knows the Michael Myers rules, establish in ?? films. No reboot on 'the why' was ever needed - it's Death personified, zero discrimination with a drive for carnage.

Man, this movie was as needed as that shot-for-shot remake of "Psycho" in 1998. While the redo of "Friday The 13th" (2009) wasn't as good as it could've been, it was entertaining and felt like the filmmakers kinda knew what they were doing. I liked it. *nods*

My other issue is about the so called hero, Samuel Loomis (Malcolm McDowell). This is an ugly character, driven by greed and fame. He doesn't give a sh!t about what horrors were unleashed. I hated him.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-06-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast