The Grinch
    Exclusive storybook packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

Credits
    Best Buy - February 5th, 2019

The Grinch
    * Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $24.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on March 5th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

The sky is not the limit - your OCD is the cap in "The Aviator"...

The motion picture opened on December 17th, 2004. It was made with a budget of $110,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $102 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $213,741,459. The film opened number sixteen at the box office, the following week it rose number five.

The feature opened against "The Incredibles", "Blade: Trinity", "The Polar Express" and "Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events".

No slipcover, but had a foil wraparound. As far as I can tell, no insert/booket; came out in 2005 which is when studios stopped including them.

- - -

Single exclusive from Wal-Mart - bonus disc with case.

Three disc set streeted on May 24th, 2005 for $14.99; side packed with both widescreen and full screen editions. Bonus has a run time of 25:28 minutes (presented in full screen).

Wasn't picked up at the time, movie bought off Ebay - January of 2007.

March 2010, purchased the exclusive - also Ebay.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Enjoyed, a blind buy. Leo was great as Hughes. Cate Blanchett did a nice job as Katharine Hepburn. I'll be honest, hard to separate from her parkinson's (Hepburn); that voice married to the shakes is memorable.

Not being cruel, just a comment most will agree.

From what I've read, Hepburn was a fun gal.

Who was hotter?

Not a contest; Ava Gardner beats Hepburn like Legos beats Mega Blocks. And we have Kate Beckinsale as Gardner.

There is a second place, not Blanchett.

First time watched, put on pause; damn, who's that girl?

Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, Josie Maran has a bit part, "Cigarette Girl" Thelma at the Cocoanut Grove club. Maran co-starred with Beckinsale in the 2004 feature, "Van Helsing"; a previous Past Tense for Limited Edition Horror 2015. One of Dracula's brides, she's a beautiful woman.

What will become of the restless kind? Where do they go when done their time? Wearing their hearts out on the line for all to see.
    - Little River Band

Movie is a sad piece; man who succumbed to phobias. Hits home, have minor OCD. Hand washing is my thing and some anal retentiveness.

But as you can see (postings) - anal retentiveness can be a tool.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Man, that was short. Filler time!

Gonna talk about a nearly forgotten 1986 adventure - "Sky Bandits" a.k.a "Gunbus" (Europe); fell down the memory hole, few ever mentioning.

Above, German and American posters.

Mashed two genres - Western and WWI; interesting results. Campy, sure but entertaining. This bombed hard, like a seeing a woodland critter who looks soft and friendly from afar, but the animal is utterly rabid and going for your crotch with frothy teeth.

Like that.

Made with a budget of £13 million (18 million dollars). In the States, the ad campaign cost $3.5 million... the film brought in $2,295,500 domestically. Did so bad, wasn't even released theatrically in England.

No Region 1 DVD. The only place to own on the format is in Germany (R2 from More Films). It has trailers, gallery and making-of featurette which I think is its EPK. This had an American VHS release.

Run time? In Europe, eighty-eight minutes. But in America, ran for one hundred five minutes. Missing? Hmmm... There is a still; Jeff Osterhage with an actress not in the edited film, Robyn Lively as Buckeye. Our pals get into a brawl over a match and jumps to them - haggered from the fight. And a few more I noticed.

Story centers on bank robbers, Luke (Osterhage; red scraf) and Barney (Scott McGinnis). Well cast. They had successfully blew up a bank, taking the money - Barney has a passion for dynamite. On the lam, the duo get greedy - attempt a repeat at the town they arrive in.

Things do not go well; caught and facing decades behind bars. The sheriff (Bill Bailey) sees an opportunity. Earlier in town, a military recruiter was trying to drum up enlisters for the war in Europe... we are given the impression this is the late 1800s. No, the Great War is happening.

Final years of the Old West - as seen by an automobile and electricity in town; rural part America - hinted to be one of the Dakotas.

It is 1917.

They are shipped to France to fight in the trenches. The area is bombarded by a German plane. Too stupid to know better, both shoot at the bomber, killing the pilot - crashing the plane. In the melee, they steal a truck; flee as far away from The Front as possible... hide out in Paris.

But high above is a hidden, mega experimental zeppelin - an armed air fortress which have been taking down British aero-planes and decimating ground troops.

Lost, our guys see a bar and pretty girls - "Officer's Only", get the idea to masquerade as ones by stealing uniforms from a pair of dunks. Egos flare and get themselves in a saloon fight. The aftereffect is making a bet with a British pilot; 'anybody who can drive a truck, can fly a plane.'

Betting all their cash; the English flyer gives them a cheap plane for the challenge.

Take off... fly a bit, then land, that's the bet. But become lost (again) and fly by the German über weapon in heavy clouds. Nearly hitting it - unseen.

Out of fuel, Luke and Barney crash land in a different spot; British air base under the command of Bannock (Miles Anderson). The duo BS their way into the unit as aviators. Plotting their escape (to Switzerland) they get involve with the misfit crew; their attempt to take down the German battle blimp.

That encapsulates the plot. The eccentric bunch have their air base next an old circus. Bannock's office and living quarters is a tiny home, modified passenger train. Would make an excellent place to live. *nods* Not joking.

Ingrid Held plays one of French girls, Mitsou (brunette); holy crap, she's gorgeous, sexy accent too.

Their mechanic "Friz" was played by Ronald Lacey. He became a pop icon of villainy in 1981, playing Arnold Toht, the tenacious Nazi henchman in "Raiders Of The Lost Ark". His melted face continues to surface in GIF memes across the internet to this day.

Can understand the failure; ending is flat, direction is choppy and was at a time when the public were not accommodating mixed genres. Good example is "Big Trouble In Little China" also in '86. What is it - horror, comedy, action, supernatural, martial arts movie? Yes, all of the above. That too bombed, but later found its audience, now considered a classic.

"Sky Bandits" vanished into obscurity. I saw on opening day, October 31st - another theater that no longer exist. In a mall that is dead. Man, had so many great memories there.

My impression is this was suppose to start a franchise.

Some claimed the failure was no stars (bunch of unknowns) - to a point. What is not mentioned is what it opened against and what were already screening that week.

These were... "Stand By Me", "Peggy Sue Got Married", "Crocodile Dundee", "Children Of A Lesser God", "Soul Man", "The Color of Money", "Blue Velvet" and... "Top Gun".

That should be added to the equation. Entire film can be found on YouTube, but it's the European cut. Damn.

Watched last month (first time in decades). This would benefit from a remake. Man, there should've been a fight in the airship.

Place is huge, could have a stable inside. Pals get cornered - find the spot. Big ass grins. Now they're being cowboys again! Riding and shooting inside the blimp; can imagine Aerosmith's "Back In The Saddle" playing as they ride. Drums only as the situation escalates, then guitar riffs. Kid Rock's "Cowboy" as they were fleeing earlier - first bank robbery. And perhaps Arc Angels' "Living In A Dream" for the end credits. Yes, I've been thinking about this.

Would be damn sway.

One thousand were made; I own the remastered, limited edition CD soundtrack from Varése Sarabande Records (twenty-two tracks). Another punch; score by Alfi Kabiljo is decent, but at times generic. It could be used for any movie, not anchored. You can hear a cue from John Williams' theme for "Raiders" and know it in a heartbeat.

Wait.

"Lucky Bumm Bumm" and "T.N.T. Dandy"? Did the Germans even watch the movie before making that poster???

Okay. We're at the end of this well made babble. Come back here on February 21st for more. So empty of calories, you'll swear it didn't happen - that's what you'll tell your mom. You freak!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 12-02-2019 at 03:52 AM.

Credits
    Target - February 12th, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody
    Exclusive photobook; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99
    Exclusive photobook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $27.99

Credits
    Best Buy - February 12th, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $27.99

Credits
    Target - February 19th, 2019

A Star Is Born (remake)
    Exclusive packaging and bonus content; BD/DVD/DC combo $26.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available now

"A Star Is Born" soundtrack with exclusive poster $11.99
    * Free $5.00 gift card with movie and CD purchase - must be on the same receipt)

Credits
    Best Buy - February 19th, 2019

A Star Is Born (remake)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

How To Train Your Dragon (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $21.99

How To Train Your Dragon 2 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $21.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on May 1st, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Fear, love and scalpels in Seattle with "Grey's Anatomy"...

"Grey's Anatomy: Season Three - Seriously Extended" was released on home video on September 11th, 2007.

It streeted against "The Graduate: 40th Anniversary Edition", "DOA: Dead Or Alive" and "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcase holding seven discs in a digipak. It came with three inserts. 1) Six page booklet - episode guide (without air dates) and special features listing. 2) Rebate instructions from TVonDVDoffer.com; save $10.00 (on two), $20.00 (on three) or $30.00 (on four) on Buena Vista Home Entertainment television sets. Shows shown: "Ugly Betty", "Desperate Housewives", "Grey's Anatomy", "Brothers And Sisters" and "What About Brian". The offer was valid from August 21st, 2007 to October 31st of that year. Details for the rebate was not on the insert, you had to get that from the web address. 3) A folded booklet for "Grey's Anatomy" merchandise; CD soundtrack, trivia board game and official magazine. Plus ads for other Buena Vista Home Entertainment season sets and an ad for abc.com.

- - -

On street, Best Buy offered the sole exclusive, a bonus disc. The set sold for $36.99 - a minimum of thirty copies per stores.

The DVD has a run time of 14:41 minutes and came in a printed sleeve, shrink wrapped on the box's back - the sleeve's rear mimics the slipcase's back.

Got curious, looked; Target sold the regular edition for the same price on release week. I bought my copy on the day at Best Buy, didn't have a problem finding one, sway.

Did some further digging; Circuit City had their own offer - save $10.00 with purchase of "Grey's Anatomy" S3 and any iTunes cards. They sold season three on street for $34.99.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Another short entry. Time for filler again!

I'm going to talk about the former ABC TV series - "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea".

For post Gen-Xers this 1964 show (based on the theatrical movie of the same name [1961]) is about a hi-tech nuclear research submarine, the SSRN Seaview. Man, that sub was a thing of beauty, second only to Captain Nemo's Nautilus from "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" (1954), above.

The ship was commanded Admiral Harriman Nelson (Richard Basehart), who designed the craft. Each week the crew would find themselves in various adventures around the globe.

It's remembered for poorly scripted teleplays (with little scientific accuracy), ridicules sci-fi plots and some pretty hammy acting (especially from Basehart) - "Star Trek" this is not. But even with all those negatives it still has charm. Plus the kickass submarine which later got a flying sub shuttle for season two, both inspired by the shape of a manta ray.

Here's the submarine in all her glory. Damn sexxxy. *rubs nipples* Let me take a step back.

Season one was black and white; action adventure/drama with political intrigue. It's the best of the seasons. What happened is they started looking at demographics and saw that a good portion of their viewers were children - knowing that, they altered its course and became the crapfest that we now know (as in catering to little kids).

Where am I going?

On February 20th, 2007, I picked up Season Two, Volume Two from Best Buy. Yes, I'm that anal. Man, I hate doubled sided discs. Every season volume has scratched DVDs, EVERY. *deep sigh* I digress. Anyhow, these are episodes I have not seen since I was little - when there were in syndication in the late 1970s. The episode was "Graveyard Of Fear" originally aired - January 30th, 1966.

WTF? This shot is in the episode for slightly over a second.

You can actually see the diver push the SeaView model through the water. I wanna believe this was just poor editing. There is no good reason for this hand to be there. Did they even care?

Plot? A massive portuguese man-of-war (jellyfish) is preventing the sub to reach its target, a sunken research vessel. What's in it? An immortality formula. It starred Robert Loggia as Dr. Crandall Ames.

Well at least is not about aliens disguised wind-up toys taking over the ship. Yes. Yes, you read correctly. "The Terrible Toys" from October 16th, 1966. *shakes head*

The show was created by Irwin Allen - notoriously cheap (recycle tons of props, sets and tacky wind-ups). He would have a big budget first episode and the rest... well you get the idea. He reinvent himself as the king of disaster movies. You can read about his films in the Past Tense entry for "2012"; Part I.

All and all, this ran for four seasons; entire series is on DVD...

The cover for season one, volume one should be a poster. Damn good picture. Season one, volume two isn't bad either. The rest? Insert your Photoshop comments...

Found out something while researching; in the U.K. the show was given a box set (region 2), "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea: The Complete Collection - Limited Edition Collector' Set"; streeted on March 26th, 2012. It's a repackaging of their normal seasons (they got full season releases, not volumes), the only new item is a booklet "charting the history of the series". It sold for £89.99, a thirty-one disc set.

The math; eight volume release (U.S.), three discs each, all double sided - that's forty-eight single sided DVDs. So the U.K. release has less numbers and higher compression to fit more episodes into thirty-one discs. But you get a booklet. I'll be honest, would like that booklet; slip that inside the final volume (if it could fit).

It's an entertaining show. Hey, it is what it is. And Katherine Heigl is kinda a bitch (in real life).

There you go folks, a shorter than usual Past Tense - it happens. The next installment surfaces on March 7th, 2019. Don't forget to dodge sinking ice. *nods*
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 02-26-2019 at 03:24 AM.

Credits
    Target - February 26th, 2019

The Little Mermaid: 30th Anniversary Signature Collection
    Exclusive gallery book packaging; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Ralph Breaks The Internet
    Exclusive gallery book packaging; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Bohemian Rhapsody (available now)
    Exclusive photobook; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99
    Exclusive photobook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $27.99

A Star Is Born (remake) (available now)
    Exclusive packaging and bonus content; BD/DVD/DC combo $26.99

Credits
    Best Buy - February 26th, 2019

Ralph Breaks The Internet
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $34.99

Christine (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $22.99

Super Troopers 1 & 2 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $21.99

The Avengers (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $29.99

The Avengers: Age Of Ultron (available now)

Equalizer 2 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $24.99

The Little Mermaid (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $34.99

The Grinch (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $27.99

Robin Hood (remake) (available now)

A Star Is Born (remake) (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99

Bohemian Rhapsody (available now)

Captain America (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - March 5th, 2019

Creed II

Robin Hood (remake) (available now)

Ash Vs. Evil Dead: The Complete Series (available now)
    Exclusive packaging and Ash bobble head; BD/DC combo $49.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on December 12th, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This outing we encounter real magik and the land of enchantment in "Once Upon A Time"...

"Once Upon A Time: The Complete First Season" was released on home video on August 28th, 2012.

It streeted against "The Pirates! Band Of Misfits", "Boardwalk Empire: The Complete Second Season" and "Jersey Shore Shark Attack".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover (more on it further down). The single folded (smaller sized) insert was an advertisement for ABC series on DVD/Blu-Ray along with a $10.00 off coupon. When did it expire? Can't say, I used mine to purchase "The River: The Complete First Season" (a.k.a. the 'complete series'). Bought from Target for five bucks. The insert included ads for four novels from author Richard Castle and the ABC Family series, "Switched At Birth". As well as "Once Upon A Time" hardback book, a collection of fairy tales that inspired the show (illustrated by Kevin Tong).

The DVD case is transparent - underneath is the episode listing per disc and special features. But NO air dates? Why is that so hard to do?

- - -

Target offered a bonus disc with exclusive slipcover. This sold for $34.99 and was also available for Blu-Ray for $44.99.

The bonus disc came under the slipcover inside a printed cardboard sleeve, fancy. The extra disc is "Inside Media @ The Paley Center For Media: Once Upon A Time" (March 4th, 2012), a DVD. The program is moderated by Matt Mitovich from TVLine dot com.

Guests include stars Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Dallas, Robert Carlyle, Jennifer Morrison, Lana Parrilla and Raphael Sbarge. Along with series creators, Adam Horowitz, Edward Kitsis and executive producer Steve Pearlman. It has a run time of 30:02 minutes (with seven chapters - rare, most bonus programs have none).

There is no menu screen, it just plays.

Should be noted that this is abbreviated - the full program "Once Upon A Time: Cast & Creators Live At Paleyfest 2012" is 58 minutes. And can be bought for $14.99 an M.O.D. from April 12th, 2013; an official DVD-R sold from Amazon.

It didn't hit me until it was talked about at the panel; Jennifer Morrison was on another series, Fox's former show, "House M.D." as Dr. Allison Cameron. didn't recognize her.

I like this quote...

We would love to tell the story of "The Little Mermaid" and Ariel and for us it was more of a season two thing. We just have a lot of story with the people on the stage that needs to be told first. And you know, we have a lot of toys in the toy box - we just haven't got to yet.
    - Edward Kitsis

This wouldn't happen until the current season, three - played by JoAnna Garcia Swisher. I remember her best as Sandy Sue, the tourette's cheerleader from "Not Another Teen Movie" (2001). God, that was funny and so inappropriate.

By the way, Kitsis and Horowitz were the screenwriters on "Tron Legacy" (2010) and writers on another ABC hit series, "Lost" (in fact both men were co-executive producer as well). The same situation/positions on the short lived, animated prequel, "Tron: Uprising" (2012). Man, that needs to come on DVD. There is no home video released on the horizon. It's like "Uprising" is the bastard child at Disney.

Back on topic; this wasn't the first series exclusive, there was another...

On February 14th, 2012 for $9.99, Target offered an exclusive single disc (DVD) with case, "Once Upon A Time: Chapter I - The First Five Episode". In short this is Disc 1 from the later season set; same extras as Disc 1 and the menu screen also reads "Disc 1".

Commentary by Kitsis and Horowitz (on pilot) and "Once Upon A Time: Orchestral Suite" music from composer Mark Isham.

Also present was a coupon for $5.00 off (DVD or Blu-Ray) - the later full season one release.

I did not bought this. In fact, never saw the show until on home video. Season one was a blind buy based on lots of positive feedback. Taking it a step further, I didn't see the show until months after I bought season two (another blind buy). *shrugs* It wasn't high on my priority. It is now.

Should be noted that FYE/Suncoast had a minor exclusive of their own too. A free poster with purchase. Sorry, do not know the price tag. What did it look like? Take the Target image above; minus the stickers, the text "Chapter 1: The First Five Episodes" and ABC logo on the bottom. That's it. How big?

Sorry, I'm in the dark on that too.

- - -

Season one's wraparound is different from the normal slipcover. On the slip, you got the other land (above left). And on the case you got the town, Storybrooke - with the main characters' alter egos; minus Emma (Jennifer Morrison) who's the same for the obvious reason. Sway.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

There are not many... mature women I'm into. But Lana Parrilla is one of them. I do not care for her as the Evil Queen; not my thing, though I'm sure there are diehard cosplay enthusiasts who are turned on by the attire. But I do enjoy her as mayor Regina Mills. It's like the producers are looking for any excuse to showcase her ample chest. I'm not the only one who's noticed. Boobs!

Bad girls do have more fun. *nods*

Interesting, Parrilla had a regular role on the former CBS series, "Swingtown" (2008) as Trina Decker, lasted 13 episodes.

Very recommended, few people know it - deserves better. The year is 1976; we follow group of friends who explore their sexuality together (open marriages/relationships and their consequences). It also stars Molly Parker, I like her.

She likes them nice and young. She likes them fresh and hungry - with fire in her eyes, let you you try her on for size. Show you a trick or two to teach you something new; full of Bacardi and botox, she's 40 and so hot.
    - Hedley

Since I brought it up, mature ladies. Mature ladies I like: Diane Lane, Winona Ryder, Krista Allen, Ali Larter, Carmen Electra, Michelle Monaghan and Amy Acker.

By the way, Goodwin is a mom today. Who's the father? Why her Prince Charming, co-star Josh Dallas. That's sweet.

There you have it. More magic to be had on March 21st, 2019... season two. Come back and dust your buttons.

Credits
    Target - March 12th, 2019

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald
    Exclusive photo book packaging; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99
    Exclusive photo book packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $29.99

Credits
    Best Buy - March 12th, 2019

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald
    Exclusive store release; 3D BD/BD/DVD/DC combo extended cut $29.99

Hunter Killer (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $32.99

Credits
    Target - March 19th, 2019

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
    Exclusive mini comic book packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Mary Poppins Returns
    Exclusive photo book packaging; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CDs available now

"Mary Poppins Returns - Soundtrack" with exclusive lithgraph cards $11.99
    "Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Soundtrack" with exclusive album cover $11.99

Vinyl available now

"Pink - Beautiful Trauma" exclusive color vinyl record $17.99
    "Christina Agulilera - Liberation" exclusive color vinyl record $17.99
    "Bob Marley - Legend" exclusive color vinyl record $23.99

Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast