Exclusive bonus DVD; BD/DVD/DC combo $17.99
    Free popcorn and soda from Target Café with BD combo purchase

Inside Out
    Preorder BD combo and get $5.00 gift card; price not listed in ad

Back To The Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $29.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available October 23rd, 2015

"Five Seconds Of Summer - Sounds Goood Feels Good" deluxe edition with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99
    "Carrie Underwood - Storyteller" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99
    "Peanuts - Soundtrack" with exclusive bonus track $10.99
    "Rod Stewart - Another Country" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

- - -

10/22/15 Update...

Bonus DVD.

It has a run time of 42:51 minutes.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - October 20th, 2015

Jurassic World
    Free t-shirt with BD purchase; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Exclusive collectible license plates; BD only $39.99

Minions Premium Halloween Bag
    $5.99 alone or $3.99 with select purchases

- - - - - - - - - -

"Coheed & Cambria - Color Before The Sun" with 2 exclsuive bonus tracks (available now) $9.99
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Dance With The Reaper Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 20th, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Week four of "L.E. Horror" brings the Reaper itself, "Final Destination 3"... a two parter!

The motion picture opened on February 10th, 2006. It was made with a budget of $34,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $54 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number five.

The feature opened against "Big Momma's House 2", "The Pink Panther" (remake), "Curious George" and "When A Stranger Calls" (remake).

This release originally came with a cardboard foil slipcover. The front cover mirrored the case's wraparound, but the rear was a different picture and an abbreviated list of bonus contents. It came with two double sided inserts. The first an ad for "Snakes On A Plane" (2006), the other side - advertisements for "Domino" (2005), "A History Of Violence" (2005), "Cyber Wars" (2004) and "Squeeze" (1997).

The second was a web link for a survey on the title's "Choose Their Fate" feature. After answering questions you could win an exclusive FD3 t-shirt (up to 150 winners). The other side was the contest rules. This offer expired October 25th, 2006.

- - -

Nearly all the major stores had an exclusive. Man, I bought this DVD three times over; sold the extra copies on Ebay. I believe I lost money on this endeavor. Such is the cries of fanboys. Oh well.

On release day, July 25th, 2006, Circuit City offered an exclusive mini, twenty-four page comic book which came inside the case. This set sold for $13.99. Unlike most exclusive comics, this was a fully self-contained tale, "Final Destination: Sacrifice".

It tells the story of an unnamed man on the bus, a ride from Harrisburg to Atlantic City. The driver has a heart attack and causes a pile-up, but not before crashing into the Delaware River, the remaining survivors/commuters drown. The vision ends and the man tries to warn the passengers before they board the bus, he fails.

His next premonition is at work, a steel mill. An explosion causes a major fire; he is killed by molten steel. This time people listened and stayed away from the factory that day. Death comes from each; falling into a riding lawn mower, a plugged in radio dropping in a bath, broken ladder - falling onto a picket fence and hit by a train.

Death follows the man until his ravings tears apart his family and friends. Living alone and destitute, he arranges to see his wife and kids - only to have another vision. Their meeting at a diner is cut short by an explosion, a man smoking a cigar next to the gas station. It ends with him deciding to save his loved ones and end his torment. He hangs himself, a melancholy yarn. The comic was published by ZeneScope Entertainment.

Also on that day, Target offered an exclusive lenticular cover sheet (this was under the clear plastic on the case); priced at $16.99.

As I recall this didn't come with a slipcover.

The lenticular came with either the wide screen or full screen editions.

Mine is inside the comic, inside the case.

The last exclusive was from Wal-Mart, a bonus disc (with its own case), packed side by side. As with Target; available on wide screen or full screen editions. This set sold for $22.99. The bonus disc has a run time of 55:55 minutes.

Don't know how "Snakes On A Plane" is related, but there's a preview for it. A couple of making-of featurettes and assorted bonuses along with a collection of New Line trailers.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

This is a permanent condition of the most serious kind.
    - Pat Benatar

When I saw this on home video (missed it at theaters) I wasn't too impressed with Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Wendy Christensen our heroine - suffering a Cassandra complex.

Hard to pin down why. I didn't hate her. Just...

Something.

But she has certainly gown on me - has turned into quite the looker. *nods*

Easy on the eyes in that cheerleader's outfit for "Death Proof" (2007).

A bit of trivia, Winstead auditioned for FD2. I can't imagine her there, that role was so right for actress A.J. Cook. The movie (FD3) itself annoyed me at first. It's different. In the previous installments, our prophet gets the surviving group to believe and help each other.

Did not happen here; nobody believes her minus her friend Kevin Fischer (Ryan Merriman). In short everybody dies. Yeah, it's a spoiler, get over it. That has a nice twist, sway.

- - -

Don't forget to check out my "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective".
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-08-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Dance With The Reaper Part II

Footnotes.

There was another bonus disc, not a store exclusive, available to all retailers. I bought mine at Best Buy on release day for $14.99 (price varied from store to store).

Released three weeks before FD3 hit theaters was a three disc set, "Final Destination: Scared 2 Death Pack" on January 17th, 2006.

Just a bundling of the first two movies (in their own cases) with a cardboard slipcover.

Inside the cover was an extra DVD and a theater voucher to see FD3 for free ($10.50 value for one; the window was February 10th to March 10th, 2006). Never used mine, its still in there.

What can I say? I'm a collector.

The bonus disc came in a printed cardboard sleeve. It should be noted, the re-release pack...

When "Final Destination" and "Final Destination 2" originally came out, both DVD had holographic, foil wraparounds - only available on their first pressings. "Scared 2 Death Pack" has the later wraparounds, flat printings. I sold my extra copies and moved my first editions into that slipcover.

The bonus disc has a runtime of 38:04 minutes. Since it will fall out of the slipcover. I have my extra disc (and sleeve) inside the Wal-Mart bonus case, now upgraded into a two disc case. *nods* As you can see the content is kinda weak, but it does have the teaser for the FD3 and behind-the-scenes footage.

- - -

Say thank you.

Say it!

The flow chart for "Choose Their Fate!".

If you didn't know, the home video release is quite unique. You have the option, to turn this movie into a 'choose your adventure' tale. Some of it was lame, others were quite shiny.

Enjoy...

Coin Flip
    Heads: Theatrical version. Tails: Wendy has her vision while in line not inside the coaster, the movie ends. Epilogue before end credits on the characters post-graduation.
    73 or 76 Degrees
    73 Degrees: Theatrical version. 76 Degrees: Both Ashley (Chelan Simmons) and Ashlyn (Crystal Lowe) still die in the tanning salon, but not by burning alive; electrocution.
    Should Wendy Honk Again?
    Yes: Kevin pulls Frankie (Sam Easton) out of the car at the last moment. No: Theatrical version.
    Should Wendy Take Another Look?
    Yes: Lewis (Texas Battle) dies immediately by the machine. No: Theatrical version.
    Kill or Warning Shot?
    Kill: Theatrical version. Warning Shot: Erin (Alexz Johnson) dies the same way, but different cause.
    Was Frankie Worth Saving?
    Yes: See a pervy video shot by Mr. Frankie Cheeks. No: Movie continues.
    Jump Left or Jump Right
    Jump Left: Theatrical version. Jump Right: Ian (Kris Lemche) still dies from the malfunctioning cherry picker, but more mercifully. The movie ends.
    Map or No Map?
    This option only is available depending on the last choice (Jump Left). Map: Alternate ending; Wendy does not having her final premonition. No Map: Theatrical version.
    Get The Details?
    This option only is available depending on the last choice (Map). Yes: Read the newspaper article on deaths Kimberly Corman (A.J. Cook) and Officer Thomas Burke (Michael Landes) from "Final Destination 2". No: Movie continues - alternate ending.

When FD3 came to home video; "Choose Their Fate" option didn't work on all DVD players - Toshiba brand machines had the worst errors - would freeze up and jump. Sony machines don't have this problem.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Say thank you again!

As you read above, there was an option to read the obituaries for the two surviving characters from FD2. I'm kinda bummed out that Kimberly and Thomas didn't become a couple. But I guess after the exploding barbecue death, they figured it was safer to stay apart. That article was excellent.

Great nod to the events of the previous film.

By the way, Kimberly and Officer Burke were suppose to have cameo at the end of FD3. The couple was on board the subway with Wendy, Julie (Amanda Crew) and Kevin; realizing far too late what was about to happen.

Would've like to have seen that, but the actors' schedule prevented that from happening. Damn.

- - -

Here's another one, but from "Final Destination 2". Some people apparently missed the death of Alex Browning (Devon Sawa), FD1. It's mentioned twice in the film.

First when Kimberly searches online for the fate of the survivors of Flight 108. The second pix is expanded, reconstructed screen snaps. You're welcome. Then when Clear Rivers (Ali Larter) shows Kimberly the Polaroid of her dead friend.

Gravity and a brick.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

The last offering for this season. The next PT arrives two days before Halloween; you should have your night viewing down.

"Below" (2002)
    World War II. The U.S.S. Tiger Shark picks up the survivors of a torpedoed medical vessel. Shortly there after bizarre occurrences happen in the submarine. Something is inside the ship, looking for vengeance. Now the crew must not only deal with enemy destroyers above, but an angry... ghost. The studio barely promoted this movie. In fact the director, David Twohy paid from his own pocket, the film's website (long dead). That's messed up, it deserved much better. Damn good feature.
    Dimension Home Video - 2002 - R

"Doghouse" (2009)
    A U.K. feature and worthy to be spoken in the same breath as "Shaun Of The Dead" (2004). It's a guys' weekend, a group of friends try to help out one of their own who has fallen into depression over his bad divorce. They take him to a remote village where the women greatly out number the men; time to party. But when they arrive they find it deserted. Where is everyone? It's a take on "28 Days Later" (2002), a rage virus - but it only effects women. Turning them into man hating homicidals. Now the group is trapped and separated within the local shops. No communication, they're on their own. A dark comedy.
    MPI Media Group - 2010 - NR

"Feast" (2005)
    An out of the way desert bar becomes an all night siege when a bloody man enters the tavern claiming that large unknown beasts are coming this way in mire minutes. He's discounted - for a moment until THEY arrive. This is a remorseless horror flick, nobody is safe. What are they? No answer given, don’t need it. Big, nasty, over-the-top and ooh so mean. The movie plays like a video game, in the good sense. This spawn two sequels; note, Part III comes in two versions, R and Unrated.
    Dimension Home Entertainment - 2009 - NR

"Love Object" (2003)
    Kenneth Winslow is shy and socially awkward, he works as a technical writer (users manuals). His life becomes complicated when a new employee is hired, Lisa. She becomes his obsession, knowing that he can’t have her, he settles on the next best thing - a love doll, custom made to order in her likeness, Nikki. Kenneth soon has reality issues (is Nikki alive?) and decided to remove the real girl for his silicone lover.
    Lions Gate Home Entertainment - 2004 - R

"Rogue" (2007)
    American travel journalist, Pete McKell joins a group of tourists on a crocodile cruise in Australia. Their tour guide investigate a possible distress up the river, a flare. What they find is an empty, partially submerged boat. Soon their own craft is impacted by an unseen force, it too begins to sink. The group swims to a nearby isle. As they try to understand what happened, it becomes violently apparent as one of their own is consumed by a twenty-five foot long crocodile. To make matters even worse, their sanctuary is shrinking; the tide is rising, in a few hours they’ll be underwater.
    Genius Products - 2008 - NR

Signs point to the conclusion of Limited Edition Horror with another two parter - about a super mega monkey. Don't be frightened on October 29th, 2015. Probably not that accurate - throwing his dung... mostly.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-08-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - October 27th, 2015

Pixels
    Exclusive metal pak; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Some Kind Of Hate
    Exclusive store release; BD only $9.99

Exclusive license plates; BD only $39.99

Jurassic World
    Exclusive metal packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $16.99

- - - - - - - - -

CDs - available 10/30/15

"Skindred - Volume" with exclusive DVD $13.99
    "Lalah Hathaway - Lalah Hathaway Live" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99

Credits
    Target - October 27th, 2015

Pixels
    Exclusive lenticular packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Southpaw
    Free $5.00 gift card with movie (BD or DVD) and CD soundtrack purchase (must be on the same receipt)

* Free Minons flashlight with any "Despicable Me" movie

- - - - - - - - -

CDs available now

"Harry Connick, Jr. - That Would Be Me" with 2 excusive bonus tracks $11.99
    "5 Seconds Of Summer - Sounds Good Feels Good" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99
    "Carry Underwood - Storyteller" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99
    "Peanuts - Soundtrack" with exclusive bonus track $13.99
    "Rod Stewart - Another Country" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99
    "Selena Gomez - Revival" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99
    "Pentatonix" deluxe edition with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $14.99
    "Janet Jackson - Unbreakable" deluxe edition with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Skull Island Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 27th, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Tired but not conquered; one more foe to face - a final challenge. The final week of "Limited Edition Horror", we close Halloween 2015 with a super mega monkey movie, "King Kong"...

So huge, this is gonna be another two parter. Prepare to be dazzled (or not)!

The motion picture opened on December 14th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $207,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $218 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe", "Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire", "Brokeback Mountain" and "Æon Flux".

The first release (two disc set) originally came with a cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It came with an ad insert.

A four page advertisement for NBC late night TV, "Touareg" car (Volkswagen), Toshiba DVD recorder machines, New York tourism ad, "ForceFlex" trash bags (Glad), Papa John's pizza (free cheese sticks), Chase limited edition "King Kong" credit card and Nestlé candy bars.

- - -

Best Buy had an exclusive pre-release, promo - which hits stores before the film's theatrical release.

"King Kong: Production Sketch Journal" was presented by Kodak. It was available free to Reward Zone members who purchased "Cinderella Man" on DVD (December 6th, '05). Ended up getting my copy without having to buy it; well three journals (I'm a bastard).

The faux leather covers (cardboard) are held together by a piece of twine, within it are twelve page; eleven production artworks and one movie still...

The exclusive came inside a plastic bag with an ad from Kodak for four free DVDs with purchase of $199 of select company products (from 12/06/05 - 12/31/05).

It also came with a coupon; $3.00 off for Reward Zone members when they buy the then upcoming "Peter Jackson's King Kong Production Diaries" DVD box set.

Quite recommended if you like the remake.

- - -

It streeted on home video on March 28th, 2006; Target sold the two disc set with an exclusive mini comic book, it came inside the case. The thirty-four page bonus was part of larger adaptation by Dark Horse comics.

It re-tells the story, up until when Ann Darrow is fasten at the altar and meets Kong.

This sold for $20.99, the comic was also available in the single disc version ($14.99) which is what I bought, sold my extra DVD on Ebay.

- - -

On that day Wal-Mart offered their own, a behind-the-scenes booklet.

The DVD size item came inside a thin cardboard box (different cover than booklet). The ninety-six page bonus, "The Making Of King Kong: The Official Guide To The Motion Picture" is part of a larger tome (same name), published by Pocket Books.

This set sold for $14.98, attached to the single disc version (only), sold the extra on Ebay too - in the end.

I kinda broke even, kinda.

- - -

Best Buy had their own offer; free Nestlé candy with purchase ($22.99/$15.99); "Buncha Crunch", "Goobers" or "Raisinets". Lame. I initially bought my copy (two disc set) from here, didn't take the candy.

It was only later that afternoon I discovered the exclusives from Target and Wal-Mart. *shakes head*

Candy was the order of business at Circuit City too; free "King" size Nestlé candy bar, $22.99 and $13.99 for single disc.

There were other Best Buy "Kong" offers. Twenty dollars off the two disc set if you bought any Toshiba DVD player, $79.99 or higher. Plus ten dollars off "King Kong" if you bought any Kodak digital camera or printer dock.

Both deals; must be on the same receipt.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Not going to recap, part of the global consciousness. You could go to a remote Aboriginal village, say it and they'll know what you're talking about; may even play a few chords of Max Steiner's score on a didgeridoo.

Enjoyed the movie, saw on opening day. Prefer the extended cut, more characterization, but I'm in the minority; didn't feel long for me.

I cared what happened to them... minus one.

Jack Black as Carl Denham.

I have NEVER been a fan of his; being obnoxious and annoying does not equal funny. Sadly there are some circles where that's the opposite. Black was miscast. It's a huge steaming dump compared to the original (1933) - played by Robert Armstrong.

Armstrong's role was an explorer and filmmaker. He came to Skull Island to film an action and nature flick. But then his actress, Darrow (Fay Wray) is kidnapped.

Fracking important!

Denham drops everything to rescue her. His responsibility, she trusted him. While true, the man is an opportunist, there is honor. He doesn't pass culpability.

Early on he talks about filming savage, wild animals; he's right there with the camera man in the danger's path. He'll die too, but it'll be on camera. No passing the buck.

Once back in New York; Denham kept his word about sharing the wealth, the Kong Broadway show. I can imagine Black's Denham pocketed much of the profits with minor money going to the survivors.

In the sequel, "Son Of Kong" (1933; set one month later), Denham (reprised by Armstrong) is broke having lost all his fortune and reputation to the giant ape run amok scandal. Add to the mess, he's being sued by everyone; deaths and destruction. Plus there's a Grand Jury indictment for him, prison. That all would really happen, makes perfect sense.

He discovers that Skull Island may hold immeasurable riches. He returns to the dreaded place to right his wrongs. He wants to find that treasure to pay off his creditors and free his conscience - do the right thing.

Jack Black's Carl Denham is none of these things. He's a jackass, liar and a scoundrel! I hated this portrayal. They turned a good man into a coward.

Pissed me off!

There was another casting decision I have issue with, but this is more of a preference thing. This new depiction isn't better or worse - just different...

Captain of the Venture is Englehorn; played originally by Frank Reicher. The first captain was this old, salty man who probably saw a lot of action in his better days. In '33 "Kong" we see him take charge when Ann is abducted. Man may be geriatric, but he still has a lot of life in him.

The new captain played by Thomas Kretschmann, a much younger man, still salty though. I have nothing bad to say about this characterization. But how cool would it have been to have an elderly man, kicking ass and taking names? Giant bugs? Screw you!!!

- - -

What would I like to see?

Won't make it onto the big screen, but can be done for cable or as a mini-series; the 1996 unproduced screenplay by Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson.

It's a different movie than what was filmed. It starts off in 1917, above France.

An excerpt...

Jack Driscoll and his buddy, Matt Hamon are flying two of the Camels at the rear of the formation. An
    uptight Brit - McKecknie, is flying along side them. He's as jumpy as hell, scanning the skies for enemy planes.

Matt looks around furtively. None of the other pilots are looking in their direction. With practiced skill, Matt reaches down for something in his tiny cockpit ... He stands up, wedging the control column between his knees and turns back towards Jack's Camel ... a baseball in his hand!! With equal proficiency, Jack jams his control column between his knees and stands, brandishing a baseball bat! Both pranksters have to fight against the fierce slipstream as Matt throws the ball across fifty feet of sky towards Jack! He prepares to swing, but the ball falls short, getting minced in Jack's propeller! A quick look around to make sure no one is looking, and Matt reaches down again, grabbing another baseball out of the bag of balls he carries in his cockpit!

Matt pitches it back towards Jack ... he swings and smashes the ball into the side of McKecknie's plane! He
    leaps with fright, his Camel wobbling in the sky as he frantically spins around, thinking he's been hit by enemy fire!

Jack and Matt sit in their cockpits, innocently looking the other way!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-08-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Skull Island Part II

Rant (continued).

It then moves to 1933, Sumatra archaeological dig. The discovery of a long forgotten Hindu alter. As well as many bronze artifacts with bone accessories. A sway mystery that sets the mood.

Another excerpt...

Englehorn downs another scotch.

Englehorn
    Seven years ago I picked up a castaway - the skipper of a Norwegian barque.

The group listen to Englehorn in silence.

Englehorn (CONT'D)
    I have never seen a man so mentally ravaged. He had gone blind, not through any injury - but because his mind could no longer deal with the terrible sights he had witnessed. I sat with him during his last night on earth, listening to his fevered whisperings. He spoke of sailing into a thick fog and of running aground on an uncharted island. He spoke of a huge wall, built by a long forgotten civilization and of a creature - neither man nor beast - that lived behind that wall. Of the thirty crewmen who made it ashore, he was the only one who looked into the eyes of the Beast and survived.
    The stars must have aligned.

Man, them Norwegians can't catch a break.

- - -

This talk isn't an about exclusives?

Let me fix that.

On November 22nd, 2005 Best Buy had an exclusive for the "The King Kong Collection"; the keepsake, embossed, tin box edition.

This held five additional movie one-sheet postcards.

Sold for $33.99.

Wanted the tin set for the original 1933 film (above), but by accident picked up the "Collection". I remember being at the register, confused; why does this cost more? Thought it would be $28 or $29 bucks at most.

But there was a line behind me; peer pressure - purchased what I had.

The store had three of these in stock, two after I bought.

Only at home did I discover what I had done. A happy accident.

Postcards above. I'm presenting them separately; my set is still connected, haven't ripped them apart (perforated). My favorite is the one where Kong looks like he has down syndrome.

There was a freebee, not so much an exclusive. Free that week, a limited number of TCM guides. A TV guide as it were, showing what the cable channel was airing that month; times and dates. I still have mine. The back has the ad for the Collection (scanned).

Something else; 2007 or so - this Best Buy exclusive showed up at Wal-Mart. It was short lived. Lucky for those who didn't pick up the first time around. Can not recall the price.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant x2.

Disappointed.

"Mighty Joe Young" (1949) received special treatment; commentary, 'making of' featurette and an interview. But the main part; the sequel, "Son Of Kong" is nearly bare bones - just the trailer.

A huge story here.

Stop-motion master, Willis O'Brien - disown his work on "Son", rarely talk about it.

It is... tragic memories.

During production (October 1933) his estranged and unbalanced wife, Hazel (Hazel Ruth Collette) murdered their two sons (William and Willis, Jr.) then turned the gun on herself - failed suicide attempt. Five shots were fired, two for each of the child. William was shot in bed; we can hope that it occurred while he wa sleeping. Willis, Jr. on the other hand, appears to have fled, but failed.

She was diagnosed with cancer and tuberculosis. William the oldest, got TB in both eyes, which made him blind. Wanna know something even more fracked up? Hazel shot herself in the chest with the .38 revolver. It actually extended her life - gun shot allowed her lungs to drain. *shakes head*

Shortly after their deaths, O'Brien shut down. Can anyone blame him? It was assistant, Buzz Gibson who finished the stop-motion-animation with screen credit given to O'Brien. Good man.

Hazel was admitted to Los Angeles General Hospital, prison ward; she died a year later.

There's a famous picture (to fandom) of O'Brien (with hat) working on "Son". The man looks so demoralize, ready to cry. You can find it online, noted for being torn in the middle. He was given a print of that publicity shot; angry at how he looked, ripped it in half. The image was recovered by Marcel Delgado, one of the model makers on the film.

Darkness continues...

He later found love with a secretary, but that too was misery - diagnosed with breast cancer, despondent, she jumped to her death.

It was only after he met his second wife (in 1934), Darlyne Prenett that he re-found his center. He stayed with her until his death, married twenty-eight years.

Willis Harold O'Brien died on November 8th, 1962 at the age of seventy-six in Oakland, California. He was born on March 2nd, 1886.

- - -

"Son" was made in a matter of month after the first to capitalize on the mega success.

Behind-the-scenes pix above - just get a slight taste of a much larger history in "Son". At one point Skull Island was home to an Aztec-like civilization. There were monuments to their existence, a large foot pyramid and other colossal structures. Too bad we didn't get to explore the ruins.

Anyhow, add to that non-made retrospective, a second. A featurette on the lost "King Kong" tangent movie, "The New Adventures Of King Kong".

In 1934 "Kong" co-creator Merian C. Cooper wanted to revisit the monkey for one more tale, but his co-writer, Ernest B. Schoedsack convinced him to drop it. This story often asked - delivery question.

The Venture's missing account; journey from Skull Island to New York.

The ship becomes damaged off an island in the Malay Archipelago. The crew goes to work on repairs. Using this opportunity for more supplies, Englehorn send an away party to gather food. Things go bad.

They are attacked by different terrible beasts. In order to save them, Denham gets the idea of releasing Kong. Have the ape fight the giant critters and later recapture him.

They take a polaroid and let you go. Say they'll let you know. So come on.
    - Ladytron

It works and the Eighth Wonder is once again chained (probably with Ann's help). The trip to New York continues.

As far as I know, only got as far as a scriptment stage with some water color artwork.

"Son", is a decent flick; not as awful as some would lead you to believe. Granted, it's nowhere near the craftsmanship the first movie (story wise), but it's a fun romp.

What I really liked was the female lead, Hilda (Helen Mack). Hilda is not Ann. She's proactive...

There's a scene towards the start; circus tent where Hilda and her father (Clarence Wilson) lives in catches on fire, burning bad. She rushes inside and pulls her father out, but he dies from a head injury.

Now had this been Ann, she would've been screaming and looking for some man to help her pull her dad out. Hilda isn't afraid and cute too.

Another thing I enjoyed was continuity. Besides actors Armstrong and Reicher returning - of all people, Victor Wong who played the Venture's Chinese cook, Charlie; reprises his role once more. That was a nice touch.

My problem is with the film's cheesy ending. What caused the island to have that massive earthquake, sinking? Was it because Denham removed that diamond crusted treasure from the ancient alter?

Not explained.

Would like to think that Carl and Hilda later got married, they're a good match.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Amazon had initially listed the tin with a item not included; "Hollywood The Golden Years: The RKO Story - Birth Of A Titan", the 1987 BBC documentary. Maybe it was planned, but got pulled. I have no answer.

There is a direct sequel to "King Kong" in book form from, Russell Blackford. Published in 2005 (by Ibooks, Inc.) "Kong Reborn". The tale involves cloning the giant ape from blood samples found by high-steel worker in 1999. The new creature is returned to Skull Island where general mayhem ensues.

- - -

"Kong" is one of those titles which keeps getting re-released every few years. Here's a relevant one.

Released on February 12th, 2013 for $12.97 was the "Kong Collection" which brings the original classic and sequel in a two disc set. This is for folks not interested in special features. Don't know if the first disc is from the deluxe edition.

Final piece; November 2008 issue of Empire magazine (British), published the results of a worldwide poll of the "500 Greatest Movies Of All Time"; Jackson's "Kong" ranked 450.

You can give a sigh of relief, it's over... for now.

Have a safe and entertaining (sexy) Halloween! See you back here on November 5th, 2015 for a trip down the South; not a sexual metaphor - though could be if you ask nicely.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-08-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Credits
    Wal-Mart

"Jurassic World" - Exclusive metal lunchbox; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.84.

Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:40 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on December 1st, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This week we get MPDGed, not to don't worry - it's mostly harmless; the burning sensation and itching goes away once we reach "Elizabethtown"...

The motion picture opened on October 14th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $57,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 26 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $52,034,889. The film opened number three at the box office, the following week it dropped to number six.

The feature opened against "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride", "Wallace And Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit", "A History Of Violence" and the remake for "The Fog".

This release had no slipcover nor insert.

- - -

There were two exclusives - both from Best Buy, which is pretty sway since the movie bombed.

The first was a pre-release; promo disc which hit the store before the film's theatrical release.

One problem - availability.

In theory on October 9th, 2005 you should walk in and get it for free. I could not find it at my store; I went twice (different days). This was elusive and I'm not sure how rare it is; if at all.

Some stores might have gotten plenty of stock; mine did not.

It wouldn't be until January of 2010 that I was able to acquire off Ebay, full package; movie and bonus. Sold the extra copy.

Anyhow, this came in a printed cardboard sleeve. The promo has a run time of 19:34 minutes. Inside the sleeve are two mini squares inserts, discounts...

The first was a coupon for $2.00 off the CD sountrack. The offer was valid from October 9th - 22nd, 2005.

The second was a DVD coupon; $5.00 off "Vanilla Sky" (2001), "How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days" (2003), "The Prince & Me" (2004), "Pretty In Pink" (1986), "Grease" (1978), "Breakfast At Tiffany's" (1961), "An Officer And A Gentleman" (1982), "Love Story" (1970), "Sliding Doors" (1998) and "Save The Last Dance" (2001). This offer was valid from October 1st - 31st, 2005.

The flap on the sleeve had a contest, "Create The Elizabethtown Ultimate Road Trip Playlist And You May Win A Trip To NYC!" Oh joy. The contest was through a weblink at Best Buy. If you submitted twelve songs for this fictitious roadtrip you could go to New York to appear with writer/director Cameron Crowe on VH1 Classic Celebrity Jukebox.

Twenty-five finalists got a $100.00 Best Buy gift card, "Elizabethtown" gift pack (whatever that was) and a copy of the CD soundtrack. The contest expired October 30th, 2005.

- - -

The second Best Buy exclusive accompanied the DVD when it streeted on February 7th, 2006. There is no screen snap since there is no menu screen, just plays. The run time is 13:47 minute with a single featurette "On The Road To Elizabethtown".

Bonus disc came in a CD envelope. Set sold for $16.99, fifteen copies per store I have since moved mine into a two disc case; inside is the cardboard sleeve (with DVD). Have since moved this into a three disc DVD case.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

This was the film that brought about a new cinema trope, the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl". Coined by film reviewer Nathan Rabin about Kirsten Dunst's character Claire:

That bubbly, shallow cinematic creature that exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures.
    While researching, discovered its sibling; the "Magical Negro". A black character that provides inspiration and spiritual help for white folks - usually mystical. But has no personal life, only exists to help Mr. Whitey. Like Michael Landon if he were Black from "Highway To Heaven" (NBC, 1984 - 1989).

Examples of this is John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan) from "The Green Mile" (1999), Bagger Vance (Will Smith) from "The Legend of Bagger Vance" (2000) and Bleeding Gums Murphy from "The Simpsons".

The more I think, both MPDG and MN should do a Saturday morning cartoon together; helping trouble youths and adults find their solutions and peace (on Adult Swim).

Here's a quote from an article he wrote for Salon dot com (July 15th, 2014; "I’m Sorry For Coining The Phrase "Manic Pixie Dream Girl"").

But the more the cultural myth of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl expanded, the more my ambivalence about it grew. "Manicpixiedreamgirl" became the title of a young adult novel about a teenage boy obsessed with a free-spirited female classmate, something I only learned about when a reader directed me to the book’s Amazon page. The author did not choose the book’s title, I learned in my one exchange with him over Facebook; it was his publisher’s idea. I couldn’t bring myself to read it. Critics began coining spinoff tropes like the "manic pixie dream guy." Mindy Kaling name-dropped Manic Pixie Dream Girls in a New Yorker piece on female-centric films. And last year I had the surreal experience of watching a musical called "Manic Pixie Dreamland", about a fantasy realm that produces Manic Pixie Dream Girls. Sitting in the dark theater, I thought: “What have I done?!”
    - Nathan Rabin

When I think of MPDG, my thoughts are not of Kirsten Dunst - it's Zooey Deschanel. She made a career typecasted as The Girl, her niché. Not into her, she annoys me.

When I think of Dunst, it's as cheerleader, Torrance Shipman from "Bring It On" (2000) which spawned a franchise. And if true; co-star, Eliza Dushku has disowned the feature, not one of her highlights. Whatever. It's a solid flick.

Back on topic...

The film tells the story of Drew Baylor (Orlando Bloom) who works for an athletic footware company, Mercury Worldwide Shoes. They have launched a new line of shoes based on his design. But there is a problem, doesn't have proper structural support - will cause serious injuries. The company went into mass production for the "Späsmotica" and did multi-million dollar media campaign for the launch. Can't come out and is recalled from stores.

Fired; his shoes have thrown the company into oblivion; hundreds of people will be out of work because of Drew. All of this will be made public on Monday morning. It's late Friday afternoon. His name will be smeared all over the news. No one will hire him again.

Then his girlfriend, Ellen (Jessica Biel) dumps him since he lost his position and soon his money. Yup, a gold digger.

Despondent, trieds to kill himself, but before he can, Drew gets a persistent phone call. It's his sister Heather (Judy Greer), their father, Mitch had died (heart attack) while visiting family in Kentucky. The day keeps getting worse. She pleads for his help, their mother Hollie (Susan Sarandon) is a mess.

Family didn't quite get along. Dad was from the South and mom's side wasn't. Heather is helping organize the memorial and needs Drew to get the urn, Mitch was cremated. 'Come to Elizabethtown, ASAP'. Why yes, that's cook Paula Deen as Aunt Dora before she got all the negative attention for being a racist - which I don't think is the case. She did say some fracked up things, but I don't think it was in malice.

The family sees Drew as a success, working for a wealthy company and having his own office in R&D. Not knowing that less than seventy-two hours their golden child will get destroyed nationwide.

All we have is a little while in the frame of a lifetime.
    - Electro Spectre

While on the plane his depression take the attention of a flight attendant, Claire Colburn (Dunst) who becomes curious and decide to help him - by putting him on a jouney; a Kentucky native herself. With nothing else to loose, he goes on her bizzare quest with her mix CDs.

And that's it. Spoiled it? Nah. More happens. A lot of folks have compaired this to "Garden State" (2004), which is a good companion flick.

This falls onto the line of a 'love it or hate it'. I enjoyed it, blind bought it on release day, no regrets.

But it's not for everyone - some can easily say that Cameron Crowe wrote and directed a series of vignette for Drew than an actual movie.

Can't give much of an argument, but that's not a bad thing.

And even if she's a fantasy, she is still welcomed.

Or perhaps this is all just bestiality and Claire is just Drew's horny spirit animal guide in human form.

Did I just blow your mind?

I'll leave on that revelation. My next text vomit drips onto you on November 12th, 2015 with some cheer and jiggle, not in that order.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-08-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Credits
    Wal-Mart

"Paw Patrol: Meet Everest" DVD - exclusive gift set; ornament $12.99

- - -

"The Carol Burnett Show: Lost Episodes" DVD - exclusive store release $29.99

Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:42 AM.

Credits
    Target - November 10th, 2015

Terminator: Genisys
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Trainwreck
    Free 1 year subscription to Entertainment Weekly; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - -

CD

"The Beatles - 1+" free $10.00 gift card with deluxe purchase $19.99 (available Nov. 13th, 2015)
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:43 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - November 10th, 2015

Terminator: Genisys
    Exclusive bonus disc (Blu-Ray); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Breaking Bad: Starter Pack (Seasons 1 - 3)
    Exclusive store release $29.99
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 03:44 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on November 3rd, 2011 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

I should be ashamed, but I'm not (I own the entire series), that being said; we might get cheer-sex in "Bring It On: All Or Nothing"...

This made for home video feature was released on August 8th, 2006. It was made with a budget of $5,000,000 (estimated). It made twelve million in its first week and well over eighteen million during its pressing.

The movie streeted against "Laguna Beach: The Complete Second Season", "Playboy: X Mates Vol. 1", "Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector" and "C.S.A.: The Confederate States Of America".

This release originally came with a cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with an advertisement insert. A long sheet folded three times; 25% off promotional code for Spirit Accessories, contest for a year's supply of SoBe Lean beverages, "Bring It On: 2 Movie Cheer Pack" ("Bring It On" [2000] with "Bring It On Again" [2004]) ad, Universal TV shows now available on DVD ("Fear Factor: The First Season", "Roar: The Complete Series", "Conviction: The Complete Series", "House M.D.: Season Two", "Las Vegas: Uncut & Uncensored - Season Three" and "The Office: Season Two"), Lil J. Xavier's "Young Prince Of The South" album ad. And an advertisement for the then upcoming NBC series, "Heroes".

The initial release came with an offer; purchase the DVD and receive a free one year subscription to "Teen People". Offer expired on August 15th, 2007. And before you ask, no I didn't. I still have my card inside the case, inside the insert. I'm an anal collector.

- - -

Wal-Mart on street had an exclusive CD sampler.

It was side packed with the DVD. Sorry, I do not know how much it sold for on release week. And I apologize for the image quality, this was the best I could find/do.

- - -

Target had the only solid exclusive, in my opinion.

One problem, I passed on it at the time. It's not that I didn't want - I was tapped. By the time I was able to purchase was gone. For the next five years, I made several attempts to acquire - lots of failure. That was until 2011 when I finally got it; paid slightly over five bucks, including shipping (DVD with bonus).

Target set sold for $17.99. Bonus DVD came inside a CD envelope in the case. From the above pix it looks like this has a lot of content. *sigh*

Not really. The total run time is 12:18 minutes. The shortest clip is eighteen seconds long. The longest is 66 seconds. I'm glad to finally complete my set. I changed the case, both DVDs are now inside a two disc case.

Oh yeah. On that calendar; October 4th - that's suppose to be a drawing of cupcakes, NOT a plate full of ****. Took me moment to figure that out.

Yes, the "Mmmm..." should've been a hint. Look, I never claimed to be brilliant.

- - -

Best Buy had exclusive ring tones; three of them, the set sold for $16.99.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Something you might want to check out (brimming with chemistry), the 2009 cheerleading film "Fired Up".

Yup, somewhat formulaic, but had moments of smarts and solid laughs. I would recommend it. The movie was originally called "F-U".

I should. The story is about two popular high school jocks, Shawn Colfax (Nicholas D'Agosto) and Nick Brady (Eric Christian Olsen) who decide to drop out of their regular football camp for the Summer to enroll into cheerleading camp to goof-off and score with hot girls (the only two straight guys there).

Overall plan is to ditch the cheerleading competition at the end and attend the Summer finale party held by their football teammates, a big bash.

But the two soon regret their decision and want their team to win the competition. As I wrote, predictable, but the ending was different. I was quite glad they didn't go with a conventional conclusion. Made me smile.

I loved this quote from the unrated version by Nick:

Would you shut up? I'm too straight to be gay. I could suck knob and still be straight. I could have one in my mouth and two in each hand and still win a straight award.
    It's the delivery.

There was a bit of controversy; both D'Agosto and Olsen were in their 30s playing high school teens. Some had a real problem with that. Whatever, it's Hollywood - nothing new.

As Mulder would say, "the truth is out there". Above, covers for the DVD and Blu-Ray editions. Notice something different? The jumping cheerleader on the DVD is wearing bikini bottoms, while on the BD has booty-shorts. To this day, I'm puzzled. Nice ass, yes, but why???

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Once again, I wrote up a short entry, need decent tier content. So here's a story of failed nostalgia.

Last year a thought popped in my head. This time quite XXX. Something I saw as a lad, something I saw back in the days of scrambled subscription television - over the air. This was a skin flick shown on SelecTV.

Late at night they would air pornos. As many who lived through that time knows, it was a hit and miss.

I was able to increase my odds when I discovered I could play with the vertical and horizontal knobs on the back of my TV to fix the distortion - more than likely would get a negative image with an occasional regular picture. No audio, just the station saying you need to subscribe to get the channel and the number to call if you're having technical issues. So it's a mixed bag.

One night I saw this porno; Amber Lynn having sex with a robot. That image imprinted onto my memory. Kinda because I wanted it...

The robot. I was way too geeky.

The stuff of sci-fi made real, robot(s) for your home!

Nope, the promise did not live up to the expectation. They were frackin' expensive and hardly did anything, might as well been a paper weight.

Got curious and with some internet mojo found what I had seen so many, many moons ago.

It was "Amber Aroused" from Caballero from 1985, bought on DVD (low price) and was sadden.

This had NOT aged well and it sucked. The poster above. Remember them? Those octagon shaped robots from the mid 1980s. Just cheap plastic that hardly did anything, you could add a tray for them to cart around sodas or beer or something lite in weight. Man they had a ridicules price tag for their actual worth.

In the film; a strap-on is added, and it goes to town on Ms. Lynn. Which is pretty much just moving forward and reverse (repeat). The finale ends on an orgy.

They gave the robot this cartoony electronic voice, made me cringe.

Okay, those not a X-Gener; women in that period wore far too much make-up in real life or adult videos. That poster was for The Pussycat Theater, a nationwide chain of adult movie houses, extinct now. Never been to one, had zero desire to go into one. Man, I would hate to be the janitor; have to wear a hazmat suit.

And thick gage gloves.

So that's it. My memory of the porno (shot on film) was superior to the real thing.

This flick also has... did you know there was in the 1980s; a Burt Reynolds porn impersonator, Sasha Gabor. Doing his best "Smokey And The Bandit" (1977) impersonation.

There is another Lynn title I'm still looking for, but just casually. It's morning and she's getting breakfast. A guy walks into the kitchen so she take a banana and goes down on it - just because. Don't know anything else besides that. So finding that is quite slim.

By the way, that poster image took over an hour to mend - it needed a lot of work to make presentable, plus rotated some to make leveled.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

There's no need to analyze. There's no need to form an affliction.
    - Splender

I suppose the main question is - is it any good?

*thinking*

It is exactly what you'd expect and is pretty much by the numbers story and resolution wise. It's not trying to be artsy or overly dramatic, it's a fluff movie and doesn't try to overcome it.

Which isn't a bad thing.

If you liked the first movie, you'll probably like this too.

Sway.

It's weird thinking about Hayden Panettiere; she was the voice of Dot in Pixar's "A Bug's Life" (1998). That doesn't seem that long ago.

She's a mom now, married to a Russian giant (boxer). I don't think anybody saw that coming.

Feeling all smiles and grins?

No?

Sorry folks, no refunds. Don't blame me, blame management. Come back here on November 19th, 2015 for a tale about donors. The stealy organ kind and maybe some taco flavored kisses (hot girl only).
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 09-09-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Credits
    Target - November 20th, 2015

CD

"Adele - 25" deluxe edition with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $12.99

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast