Credits
    Best Buy - November 19th, 2019

Hobbs & Shaw (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $34.99

Batman 4k Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook set; 4k BD/DC combo $89.99

Alien: 40th Anniverary (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/DC combo $14.99

The Santa Clause: 3 Movie Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $27.99

Elf (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $14.99

Big Hero 6 (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Tangled (available now)

Moana (available now)

The Princess And The Frog (available now)

Zootopia (available now)

Frozen (available now)

The Lion King (live remake) (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on May 29th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This particular outing you're getting two exclusives since there wasn't enough material to justify a single entry for each season. *nods* Welcome to "The Big Bang Theory"...

"The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Third Season" was released on home video on September 14th, 2010.

It streeted against "Grey's Anatomy: Complete Sixth Season - More Is Better", "America: The Story Of Us" and "Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time".

This release originally came with a non-embossed cardboard slipcase which mirrored the wraparound's front. The rear covers are different; the wraparound's back feature zero stats (content listing). Inside the slipcase is a regular (transparent) DVD case holding three discs. It came with six page folding booklet; episode guide - with air dates and extras listing.

- - -

Best Buy offered an exclusive t-shirt, this was available for the DVD ($29.99) and the Blu-Ray ($36.99) editions.

I can not recall if this was packed with the season or separately, sorry. Nor can I say how many copies per store. I did not purchase this offer. I'm not into apparel.

Target had the more substantial item, a bonus disc (no menu screen; presented in widescreen).

A panel at Comic-Con 2009 (San Diego, CA). The event was moderated by comic book artist/writer Mike Mignola. It features co-creator/co-executive producer Chuck Lorre with co-creator/co-executive producer Bill Prady along with stars Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar. The exclusive has a run time of 30:58 minutes.

The bonus disc was part of the case, a four disc holder - no CD envelope. This set sold for $29.99 on DVD and $39.99 for Blu-Ray.

- - -

Rant.

Okay. I'm not going to make this more than it is. This show is loved and hated. Does it pander? Yes. Yes, it does. Don't pretend it doesn't. Does it hurt viewing? No, not in the least. It is exactly what you think this is and nothing more.

I like the show. I own all twelve season, not ashamed.

The best way to explain this series is as comfort food; zero nutritional value. That's it.

Okay, I want to address this - my words.

Cuoco is a cute girl, but not as hot as some people make her out to be; magazine editors too. Please, stop overselling her, it's embarrassing. Okay.

Will give her credit; she's honest about having breast implants. She got them at the age of eighteen in 2004. She had the surgery when she was on the former ABC series, "8 Simple Rules".

I looked at the comparison, I would say she went from B to a C cup. "The best decision I ever made" she told Cosmopolitan magazine (May 2014 issue), made fluff news rounds in April of that year.

Moving on...

- - - - - - - - - -

"The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fourth Season" was released on home video on September 13th, 2011.

It streeted against "Grey's Anatomy: Complete Seventh Season - More Heartbeats", "Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena" and "Camelot: The Complete First Season".

Just as season three, four originally came with a non-embossed cardboard slipcase which mirrored the wraparound's front. The rear covers are different; the wraparound's back feature zero stats (content listing). Inside the slipcase is a regular (transparent) DVD case holding three discs. It came with four page folding booklet; episode guide - with air dates and extras listing.

- - -

As with last season, you're getting the same kind of exclusives by the same stores.

Best Buy offered another exclusive t-shirt, this was available for the DVD ($32.99) and the Blu-Ray ($39.99) editions. Once again I can't say how it was packed or how many copies. I didn't buy this one either.

There were complaints, some didn't want the exclusive and wanted the season set cheaper - the basic edition. The problem is that the store did not list the price without the tee. That does sucks.

Target had another panel DVD (no menu screen; presented in widescreen), this time from 2010 Comic-Con (San Diego, CA); moderated by actor Wil Wheaton and features a live performance by the Barenaked Ladies singing the theme song. It has same participants as 2009. The exclusive has a run time of 28:03 minutes. The bonus disc was part of the case, a four disc holder like season three. I appreciate not having a CD envelope.

This set sold for $27.99 on DVD and $34.99 for Blu-Ray. I will say that Wheaton made the panel entertaining.

- - -

Rant II

Man, I HATE the opening theme music. So much so that when it comes on (DVD), chapter forward to skip it. The same distaste I have for the opening theme to "Star Trek: Enterprise" (2001); it's a decent show, especially the Manny Coto year, but that song sucks hard big time - and comes back for seconds.

I really liked season four making Bernadette Rostenkowski (Melissa Rauch) a regular (far left, above pix for those who don't watch). She's so damn adorable. Which could also be a reason.

Cuteness has the power to both attract and repel.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Since this is a rather short entry even doubled-up. So I've got some decent filler. *nods*

Man, if you knew how long it took to make that poster presentable - off and on for months; got so damn frustrated. It was a mess.

Gonna talk about the low budget sci-fi film "Radioactive Dreams".

It came out to theaters in 1985. Sadly it has yet to come to DVD (or BD). The feature came on home video on VHS (Vestron Video) and Laser Disc - full screen in America ($19.98, Vestron Video too) and letterbox in Japan (9538 yen, Shochiku Home Video). Both were put out on LD in 1987 and in CLV.

Odd, something I noticed while researching - U.S. home video is 94 minutes. The Japanese LD is 104 minutes long. This is new news to me. What have I not seen? Anyhow I should...

The film takes place in 1986 when nuclear war breaks out. Children, Philip Chandler (John Stockwell) and Marlowe Hammer (Michael Dudikoff) have grown up without their parents - who saved them by tossing them into the family's old, fall out shelter as the bombs were falling.

It is fifteen years later - the future of 2001. The boys have grown up alone - educated themselves based on the books inside the bunker. Their entertainment were 1950s detective novels and swing music; they grew into throwback men.

Marlowe after many years has dug a hole out of the shelter to the surface - the world outside. Both are eager to rejoin the planet - thinking the world may resemble the books they read. It is not, it's various degrees of a wasteland. One could argue as step up from any Mad Max world. It's still messed up.

They run into mutants who try to kill them - both are saved by a woman, Miles Archer (Lisa Blount), not out of kindness. She wanted Marlowe's gun, a rare item. They fight, she flees, but drop something vital to her plans. They later encounter Rusty Mars (Michele Little) who takes them to "Edge City" one of the last metropolises. There they are reunited with Archer who wants what was dropped - keys. Plus other troubles which turns out are linked to Miles.

Keys for the last nuke which wasn't launched. Have this... rule the planet. Worse yet, the keys bear their fathers' name. I'll stop here. It's part noir, part cheese, part mystery, part comedy and part adventure mixed with science fiction. It's a fun flick with an excellent new wave soundtrack featuring songs by Sue Saad.

Saad even appears in the movie a rock singer giving a concert across the street where our guy discover the reason why Miles want them so bad. The song is "Guilty Pleasures" - part of the poster's tag line. Sway. The full movie can be found on YouTube. Indeed.

The finale was a set up for a sequel, but didn't materialize. It is a cult flick in the making. Hey, it's never too late for that.

That's it. Not one of my bigger posts. I only had so much to work with. Two more Past Tense and it closes the teens. January is 2020 that feels so damn sci-fi-ish. Still no flying car. But we do have sex dolls - so that's something.

Come back here on December 12th, 2019 for the final two entries involving a classy, yet complicated TV show on influencing people to buy. Have a safe and entertaining Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I am going shopping - oh my. See you then.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 12-07-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Credits
    Target - December 3rd, 2019

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season
    Exclusive bonus featurette; BD/DC combo $39.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Available 12/6

"Liam Payne - LP1" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $13.99

"Pentatonix - Christmas Is Here" with exclusive poster $10.00 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - December 3rd, 2019

Ralph Breaks The Internet (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $31.99

John Wick: Triple Feature (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/DC combo $39.99

Credits
    Best Buy - December 17th, 2019

It: Chapter 2

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $32.99

Games Of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (available now)
    Exclusive sigil packaging; BD only $44.99

Avengers 4 - Movie Collection (available now)
    Exculusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $129.99

The Grinch (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $14.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Classy Times, Social Change And Drama Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on February 19th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Pull out a stiff drink and smooth jazz on your turntable for "Man Men"...

"Mad Men: Season Five" was released on home video on October 16th, 2012.

It streeted against "Moonrise Kingdom", "Psych: The Complete Sixth Season" and "Chernobyl Diaries".

This release originally came in a transparent slipcover holding the four discs in a digipak. It came with two small inserts. 1) And ad for Canadian Club whiskey, the backside has recipes how to make a Manhattan and Old Flashioned drinks. 2) Double sided ad for season six of "Mad Men".

- - -

Target offered the only exclusive, a bonus disc - came inside the box within a printed cardboard sleeve.

A run time of 44:07 minutes, six chapters in widescreen. No menu screen, just plays. This exclusive was available for both DVD and Blu-Ray, both priced at $29.99. Do not know if the BD release had the bonus as a DVD (probably did).

It is an episode of "Inside The Actor's Studio" aired May 14th, 2012 on Bravo channel. It features interviews with series creator Matthew Weiner with stars Jon Hamm, January Jones, Vincent Kartheiser, Jared Harris, John Slattery and Christina Hendricks. James Lipton hosting.

Quite fascinating, not filler, recommended if you can find it.

I had no problem find on release day. Long time readers will recall the woes of I've had with other Target bonuses.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

One of the few shows which did not fall into pit of burning out before ending; still strong and captivating. Even the mundane day to day events were interesting (including the fat Betty [Jones] story line). Great television.

I am sadden by the death of a character. Hint, he's in the above image. I liked him. Granted his actions were ill made, they were not done in malice. Glad the passing had solemnity, not a quick 'this episode' kind of thing.

Also enjoyed the relationship between Don (Hamm) and new wife, Megan (Jessica Paré).

Sad knowing what is to come in season seven (part 1).

Yeah, a spoiler. But not any kind of revelation. By the end of this season, Megan was on her way to her own path - minus Don. She desperately wants to be an actress, marriage be damned. At least she's no Betty - a petty woman with control issues.

This season starts in 1966.

The addition of Michael Ginsberg (Ben Feldman) was a nice add on. He's suppose to be the heel this year, but he's quite likable; not really a bad guy - just different.

One of the reasons I love this show is strong continuity. Made me smile to see the Glen Bishop character return even if it were for one episode; by the same actor, a now older Marten Weiner - uncredited bit part.

Biggest moan by some is what does Roger Sterling (Slattery) contribute? He's the party boy and not much else. I don't see him that way.

The Roger character is our view into the era. The rest are living lives which are important to the series. He has no real commitments had has time to participate... in 'current' culture.

LSD for one.

He and Peggy (Elisabeth Moss) have grown this season. Pete remains interesting, but at a standstill. He is own worst enemy.

And besides it is Roger who saves the day in a big way in season seven, part one - a surprise. Reminds me of the finale of season six of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"; Xander Harris (Nicholas Brendon) doing what no one else could and doing it alone. *smile* Which is what Roger did.

For the series, Roger is the man the agency calls to wine and dine clients; he puts them as ease and is a genuine fun guy. He closes deals not at the board room, but at bars and other off agency locales. He's good at what he does.

Don't have any problem with his presence.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recalled.

The decade is coming to an end - just a few more weeks. So why not debut a new feature?

From time to time, when the entry is too short I might write about a title which was recalled; the whys and whatnots and when, if at all it re-released.

No promises, no demands.
    - Pat Benatar

And yeah, I know. Should've started with "Wrong Turn 6" written about (briefly) in the Past Tense entry for "Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines" in 2018.

It is what it is.

This new feature starts with "Star Trek: Generations" (1994).

In 2004 it was announced that a deluxe, two disc special edition was coming out on September 7th for $19.99 (originally was $27.95). Bought mine from Wal-Mart on street for thirteen or so. What I remember was disc one was all scratched up, had to make THREE exchanges to remedy. *shakes head*

Shortly - as in days later, it was pulled.

There is a typographical error on the Star Trek Generations Special Collector's Edition DVD. It inadvertently notes a teaser and theatrical trailer that are not on the DVD. As a result, this product is being recalled and the release date [originally September 7] is being delayed. We will provide further information on a new street date shortly.
    - official Paramount press release

Looking it up back then; some stores didn't either care about the recall or were not aware that that title wasn't suppose to go on sale.

It was reported that K-Mart decided to burn off their copies by selling them 50% off at $9.99; easier for them to do than to recall and ship back to the studio, paper work and such.

The re-release came out later that month on September 28th (same price).

What happened?

Both the teaser and trailer wasn't included because it had music which wasn't licensed. Both were axed from Disc 2 after the wraparounds were printed which listed them. The studio recalled the set to print new wraparounds, minus that listing.

Paramount wasn't going to re-repress the disc to included them - even if they had paid for those licenses. Call them cheap or whatever - this is an old problem really. *nods*

Credits
    Past Tense - Classy Times, Social Change And Drama Part II

The first DVD of "Star Trek: Generations" happened on November 17th, 1998 ($29.95, single disc). It was a bare bones release, no trailer or teaser - same reason; Paramount didn't want to pay the licenses back then either.

The so-called special features: English and Spanish subtitles/captions with scene selections (chapters).

Nothing hasn't changed by the way. The studio still won't pony it up.

*shakes head*

The Blu-Ray release, April 30th, 2013 ($21.98) includes additional, new extras, plus all the previous bonuses, but still does not include those promos.

Just so you know, all the "Star Trek" Special Collector's Edition DVDs up to "V: The Final Frontier" had booklets.

I suppose the first deluxe release ("Generations") is a collector's item, but looking at online prices, not much of a difference from the second pressing.

- - -

Might as well turn this into a two parter - lets talk about the "Wrong Turn 6" recall in detail...

The DVD (and Blu-Ray) streeted on October 21st of 2014... two weeks later it was pulled; recalled, indefinitely. Bought mine on release day (DVD - no slipcover was issued), retailed for $22.98. Glad I did. Poster and DVD cover above.

What happened?

Near the beginning of the sequel, there is a quick moment of the main characters looking at a bulletin board on a street. On the board are the images of people who have vanished in the woods. Among the pictures was a photographed that was used without permission.

It shows sixty-six year old, Stacia Purcell from Ireland, Wexford County. She disappeared in 2012 and declared missing October 30th, 2013 - her body was found a few days later. She died from a heart attack and fell into a river. The movie portrays her as an eighty-one year old man; missing due to the inbreed, cannibalistic hillbillies.

The family became aware of the inclusion and a lawsuit occurred in Ireland (citing invasion of privacy). 20th Century Fox pulled all the copies; DVDs and BDs as well as VODs. Fox would have to re-edit or insert a new photo for a re-release. This was a direct-to-video title, that didn't make its money back before the recall.

Little reason to fix, it is a niche release and they still had to sink X amount of dollars to the plaintiffs, plus destroy all the (recalled) physical copies and repress altered discs. That's a lot of money.

For a time those who had it, owned a collector's item; at one point going for $42.00 (DVD) and $49.99 (BD) on eBay.

The studio could've just write off the film as a loss and move on - becoming the nail that shuts down the "Wrong Turn" franchise. If it had, ended poorly. I say that since it looks foreign; the film was made in Bulgaria - set in Appalachians. Yet, most of the actors don't look American. Plus a weak plot and just passable make-up, kinda of a mess.

In early 2015 the film was relaunched - first as rental from Redbox kiosks. On August 15th, 2015 the DVD was re-released with a new cover. The mend?

Same scene; now the bulletin board has a blur on Purcell's image. I would have liked a new image digitally inserted. Oh well. Last year news broke that you can't keep inbreed, cannibalistic hillbillies down forever. The film series is getting what is so fashionable today... a reboot.

Hey! Sequel is not a dirty word.

The script was written by Alan B. McElroy who also wrote the first 2003 film. Looks like Three Finger, Saw Tooth and One Eye will not return. Expect more forest butchery in 2020, gonna guess and say right about Halloween time. Which is when part six came out.

Doing a bit of researching, found the plot. Can't say I'm happy. Granted, the final feature could be good to decent. But this isn't making me happy.

A group of friends are hiking the Appalachian Trail - same as the first movie. They are discovered by "The Foundation" - a community of uber hillbillies who have lived for hundred years in the mountains. The film series is about a single family living deep in the woods. Murdering and eating those who uncover their existence. Just a single family, not a whole populace.

The new villains? Wild Boar Skull, Deer Skull and Ram Skull. Oh joy.

This was shot in Ohio by director Mike P. Nelson. This stars Matthew Modine (yes that Modine), Charlotte Vega, Emma Dumont, Valerie Jane Parker, Chaney Morrow and Dylan McTee. Lets hope this isn't crap. And if it is... that it makes just enough money to bring about chapter seven with our disfigured trillbillies.

- - -

A different topic altogether - a 'what if'...

Imagine - Jack Palance still in his prime in the early 1970s as Batman in a non-campy big budget feature. And yes, I know Palance had a role in the Tim Burton 1989 production as Carl Grissom.

The Joker?

The prefect man, the only one who could give it gravitas - Don Rickles. Don't scoff. This isn't Rickles' running one-liners and jokes; while it would have some. This is a dramatic role, a guy who's snapped - out to punish Gotham for making him what he is. A man with nothing to loose and a love for dramatics. It could've been Oscar worthy, I'm being dead serious.

Rounding out the cast...

Gene Hackman as Commissioner James Gordon.

Jacqueline Bisset as Catwoman/Selina Kyle, the love interest and foil. Can imagine her stealing a jewel - walking away in black high heels and a skin tight one piece with just enough cleavage to show jiggle.

Joseph Cotten as Alfred Pennyworth, butler.

There would a stinger after the end credits - George Sanders as Ra's al Ghul, a cameo. And yes, Sanders' played Mister Freeze in the 1966 "Batman" TV series. Man, that voice as Ghul would have been fried gold.

The sequel would have Yul Brynner as Deadshot and Keir Dullea as The Riddler. You know both were up to the task. And yeah, Brynner is being typecasted - it's a role he's good at. Dullea just feels so natural as Edward Nygma.

Ra's al Ghul would be the main villain for the third film. Tell me, tell me that wouldn't have rocked hard.

One thing is certain, he would have change the way he talked as Bruce Wayne, otherwise everyone would know it was him. Man that would be intense - *deep breath* I'm Batman.

Frackin' sway!

I would imagine the Batmobile to be a retro/proto version of the Burton franchise transport.

And not his first time either. Palance had played a different kind of Batman in 1974 - the CBS production of "Dracula".

- - -

Been mulling this over and have decided NOT to write a Past Tense - too minor, will mention it here.

There was an exclusive for "Mad Men: Season Two", a tie clip from Best Buy; the clip has "Mad Men" pressed and printed on it... tacky? Meh. The set sold for $29.99 (DVD only, no exclusive for Blu-Ray) on July 14th, 2009.

Bought here since they were the only store with a bonus, granted - a weak one. The clip came in a tiny baggy inside the box.

And there you go. One more Past Tense for the decade. Come back here on December 26th, 2019 for another slice of retro-ness. Have a Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 12-22-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Credits
    Target - December 15th, 2019

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (available now)
    Exclusive film magazine; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (available now)
    Exclusive bonus featurette; BD/DC combo $39.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 12/20

"Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker" exclusive collectible cards $11.99

Credits
    Best Buy - December 17th, 2019

Rambo: Last Blood
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $29.99

Exculusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $119.99

It: Chapter 2 (available now)

Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $19.99

Credits
    Target - December 22nd, 2019

exclusive vinyl

"Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell" with exclusive color vinyl $17.99 (available now)
    "Khalid - Free Spirit" exclusive translucent orange vinyl album $18.39
    "Stranger Things: Season 3 - Soundtrack" exclusive red, white and blue record $20.79 (available now)
    "Billie Eilish - When We Fall Asleep" exclusive glow-in-the-dark vinyl $22.99 (available now)
    "Pulp Fiction" with exclusive color vinyl $24.99 (available now)
    "Taylor Swift - Lover" exclusive 2 color vinyl set with digital copy $24.99 (available now)
    "The Beatles - Abbey Road" with exclusive color vinyl $32.99 (available now)
    "Frank Sinatra - Ultimate Christmas" with exclusive color vinyl $34.99 (available now)

Credits
    Best Buy - December 24th, 2019

Rambo: Last Blood (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $29.99

Exculusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD/DC combo $119.99

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on March 19th, 2015 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Be smooth. Be a cool. Be a vintage player in "Man Men"...

"Mad Men: Season 6" was released on home video on November 5th, 2013.

It streeted against "Under The Dome (Season One)", "Parkland" and "Ambushed".

This season's packaging was different from the others. It came in a thick cardboard slipcase, practically fabric textured. Inside was a digipak holding four discs (I'm speaking of the DVD version). It came with a single small insert; a double sided ad for season seven of the show.

It also came with a card stock backing; listing the contents - it mirrors the rear of the digipak inside. The card was gummed on the back of the slipcase

- - -

Once again, it is Target which had the sole exclusive, a bonus disc. This came inside the box within a printed cardboard sleeve.

The disc has a run time of 24:58 minutes, five chapters in widescreen. There is no menu screen, it just plays.

This exclusive was available for both DVD and Blu-Ray, both were priced $27.99.

Unique and quite interesting; a mock-broadcast, a news special, "Celebrity News - Year In Review". The fake program aired on New Year's Eve 1967. It includes vintage TV commercials; shown in black and white. Sway. I'm glad I got a copy, no problem finding the exclusive.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

As I wrote in the PT entry for season five; this has consistently been firing on all cylinders. Excellent writing and actors; a great dramatic series. It has definitely earned a spot within the Top Ten of best television shows. If you haven't, you should. Very recommend.

In case you're curious this season begins in 1967.

Hands down my favorite "Mad Men" moment is from this season; episode "The Flood" (April 28th, 2013). Don (Jon Hamm) decided to play hooky with his son, Bobby (Mason Vale Cotton); they go to see "Planet Of The Apes".

The film finishes and his son is confused. So he lays it out for him... (fifty-one year old spoilers, you should know by now)

Col. Taylor (Charlton Heston) and crew didn't land on another planet in the Orion system. They ship had gone forward in time and returned to Earth, thousands of years in the future - where apes rule the world. The look on Bobby's face; MIND BLOWN. That made me so giddy.

A bit on discontinuity; that opened on April 3rd, 1968 - but the episode takes place a day earlier. I put the blame on damn dirty apes and time travel, lot of time travel.

Another favorite is "The Crash" from this season (May 19th, 2013). A physician, Dr. Hecht (Rick Zieff) is brought in to help boost creativity - three day stimulant. The creative staff is injected with a so called 'vitamin super dose' (a.k.a. amphetamine), so weird. Ken Cosgrove (Aaron Staton) breaking into a tap dance number. Men racing to jump over furniture. It works; a release of stress over an account (Chevy) going sour.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

You think you've seen everything of a particular show, then something pops that makes you pull a 'whahh!'

Like when I found out there were a string of "I Love Lucy" (1951 - 1957; CBS) episodes I never saw before; part a mini post-season, one hour programs.

I had another one of those moments in late December, the 28th to be exact.

Goofing off, discover something I never heard of before. A long dead show, "Dusty's Trail" (1973 - 1974; syndication).

What is it?

It's "Gilligan's Island" (1964 - 1967; CBS) 2.0.

You can't have three snakes in your hand and expect to make gravy.
    - Bret

Take the famous show's concept and move it into the old west, circa 1870s.

Not shipwrecked on an island, but lost in a journey; wagon and stage coach are separated from their main wagon train on their way to California. I'll let their theme song explain (written by Ross Schwartz; he co-wrote the "Gilligan" theme)...

Let's follow the path of Dusty's Trail
    Oh, Dusty's trail, Dusty's Trail
    A stage and a wagon a-headin' West
    Part of a wagon train lost from the rest

Dusty's the reason for their plight
    Thanks' to Dusty nothin's right
    Only the Wagonmaster's hand
    Keeps 'em a-rollin' to the promised land

Oh, the goin' gets mighty rough
    But they don't seem to mind
    It's Californ-i-a
    That's the place they must find

Deserts and rocks are in their way
    But they won't stop, come what may
    Mountains and hills that they must scale
    But they know they'll make it
    'Cause they just can't fail
    On Dusty's Trail

Who's in the cast?

You have Dusty played by Bob Denver who is rehashing his previous Willie Gilligan role.

Forrest Tucker plays Mr. Callahan, their wagon master; a.k.a. "The Skipper", Jonas Grumby.

You have Bostonian millionaire and his wife in Mr. Carson Brookhaven (Ivor Francis) and Mrs. Daphne (Lynn Wood); Thurston Howell III and Eunice Lovelle Wentworth Howell.

There is Andy Boone (William Cort) a civil engineer; a.k.a. Professor Roy Hinkley.

A country schoolteacher from Iowa, Betsy McGuire (Lori Saunders); Mary Ann Summers.

And rounding out the cast is Jeannine Riley as Lulu McQueen, a dance-hall girl; Ginger Grant.

Created by Sherwood Schwartz; the same guy who did "Gilligan's Island". He tried to recapture his success, a reboot. Twenty-six episodes were made (though the original intent was thirty, but it got canceled), all aired. The half hour show was broadcast on 7:30PM on Tuesdays in syndication.

"Dusty's Trail" hasn't been seen much; the total episode number is low - stations prefer a hundred episodes for rereun broadcasts.

Oh yeah, those images above are from a YouTube video I downloaded.

The only characters with any depth and I use that loosely is Callahan and Dusty. The rest is ultra generic. Like you're watching the beloved characters from "Gilligan's Island" being played by models from the Sears catalog. Could be played by different actors each week and it wouldn't make a difference.

Complete series hasn't come out on home video, fallen into public domain. There was a DVD set (Brentwood Home Video; 2004) with seventeen episodes. It appears that the remaining have become lost to time.

Episodes?

An indian chief sees a birthmark on Dusty and believe the idiot is his long lost son. So what to do? Kidnap Dusty to bring the guy back to the tribe - to return to Native American life.

The gang runs into a traveling magician who gives them a free show. Why? Easy, the assistant is attempting to steal all their valuables.

Their small wagon train has taken a break from their travels. Gathering supplies Dusty discovers the gang is situated over a volcano, but on the way to tell his friends - Dusty fall on a rock and gets amnesia.

While out and about to Californ-i-a, they find a young woman. She is brought to their camp and odd things start happening, leading them to believe she's a witch.

Looking for a route through some mountains, the gang encounter a murderous outlaw on the lam.

Could go on, but you get the general idea. This IS "Gilligan's Island" 2.0.

In fact there was a "Gilligan's Island" 3.0 produced in 1982, "Gilligan's Planet" (CBS). A cartoon show by Filmation, thirteen half hour episodes were made - all aired. This has an official release; M.O.D. (DVD-R) from Warner Archive Collection in 2014.

I'll make it short; the Professor builds a rocket out of wood and various jungle items. The hope is the launch from the island back to civilization, but they end up being shipwrecked once again... on another planet.

Okay then.

One more thing. A conspiracy theory that the show, "Gilligan's Island" is about the seven deadly sins.

Skipper: Wrath
    Gilligan: Gluttony
    Ginger: Lust
    Professor: Pride
    Mr. Howell: Greed
    Mrs. Howell: Sloth
    Mary Ann: Envy

It kinda, kinda makes sense. One more thing - "Planet Of The Apes" (1968)

Something starting to bug me; something I hadn't registered until recently.

Once it is discovered that Taylor can talk; Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans) demands to know where the rest of the intelligent humans are - their tribe. He says, 'where's there's one, there's more'.

Were there? And I don't mean the mutants who worship the Divine Bomb.

It stands to reason there are descendants of the old world, still living - in hiding from the Apes.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share that thought.

Come back here on January 9th... 2020. Woh! You'll like the post; honest - it tastes like Coke, but without the ground up polar bears aftertaste.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 01-05-2020 at 04:09 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - December 31st, 2019

Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $34.99

Rambo: Last Blood (available now)

It: Chapter 2 (available now)

Credits
    Target - January 7th, 2020

Joker
    Exclusive packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99