Thanks Thanks:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    PART IV: BOOKS - A4 P4

There is zero news to report on that aborted George A. Romero novel about the cause, "The Living Dead".

Last mention in the December 17th, 2015 post, "PART IV: BOOKS - A2".

There is however is another book; no, not like that.

I wish.

On July 11th of this year (2017), St. Martin's Press will release "Nights Of The Living Dead: An Anthology" for $17.99. A four hundred page collection.

It will be on CD too for $29.95 from Blackstone Audio, Inc., an unabridged MP3 CD, the same day.

Here's the book cover.

In 1968 the world experienced a brand new kind of terror with the debut of George A. Romero’s landmark movie Night Of The Living Dead. The newly dead rose to attack the living. Not as vampires or werewolves. This was something new...and terrifying. Since then, zombies have invaded every aspect of popular culture.

But it all started on that dreadful night in a remote farmhouse...

"Nights Of The Living Dead" returns to that night, to the outbreak, to where it all began. New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Maberry teams with the godfather of the living dead himself, George A. Romero to present a collection of all new tales set during the 48 hours of that legendary outbreak.

"Nights Of The Living Dead" includes stories by some of today’s most important writers: Brian Keene, Carrie Ryan, Chuck Wendig, Craig Engler, David J. Schow, David Wellington, Issac Marion, Jay Bonansinga, Joe R. Lansdale, John Russo, John Skipp, Keith R.A. DeCandido, Max Brallier, Mike Carey, Mira Grant, Neal Shusterman & Brandon Shusterman, and Ryan Brown. Plus original stories by Romero and Maberry!
    - back cover

I like this concept book. And will probably pick this up.

- - -

Some weeks back I got into an online fight over the movie, "Night" '68.

That Harry was correct - he wasn't. Thought I'd share.

Ben was right. What failed was unity. How much time could've been saved had Harry helped right from the start? The undead number would be manageable - get to the pump and not be in an absolute rush; which lead to Tom's and Judy's death.

Harry screwed them all over.

Just to feel important.

The fire at the pump was the result of the rush. Imagine the gun being used as before, but now with focus - the torches not in the line of the stream. No fire.

They would've filled the tank and drove back to the farm house. During this time the rest would have the radio on and hear about nearest rescue station.

A dash to collect the food for and hop on the truck.

Man, the Coopers were in the cellar all this time. And none of the people down there took any stock of their environment? Why wasn't there a check on the house for supplies first? Bring food to the basement? Find the shotgun? Get bedding supplies for his sick daughter?

Nope on all - just get in the basement without any real thinking.

Ben was right. But sometimes being right isn't enough.

The real outcome would be the little girl. She could die in the back and resurrect - infecting everybody in the flatbed.

This would also be a dark ending too.

- - -

One last bit before the head shot.

The Answer.

At least from Japan.

Minor back story, in April 17th (2017) I was doing various research for this post, but I'll be honest, it was more about goofing off.

I came across something huge, not known to most American audiences. This was new news to me and I've been a fan since I was a kid. When "Zombie: Dawn Of The Dead" had its theatrical release in the land of the rising sun on March 13th, 1979, they added a short prologue.

The Japanese distributor, Herald Films felt the people there would never accept the concept unless there was an explanation for the zombies.

A short opening was filmed with an explosion in space and white text appearing on screen with a telex sound effect (like a typewriter) overlayed.

In 19XX, an exploding planet in a far off galaxy beamed strange rays across space to Earth. It cause the transformation of the dead one after another into resurrected zombies seeking the flesh of the living...
    Yes, it actually said "19XX", are we to fill in the blank??? By the way, the Japanese release is a censored version of Dario Argento's cut, "Zombi" (1978).

The next entry will happen soon enough I suppose, can't give you an exact date. But it will happen, see you then.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 10-13-2019 at 07:49 AM.