Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Credits
    Popping In With Another Update - Part I

Eight years of false starts, multitude of reschedules and flat out lies. It's here.

It's here.

Actually forgot about it until the start of this month and decided to do another check to see what has changed (again). This time it said it was coming out in two days. Did nothing, could be another layer of BS.

Waited until that afternoon, making sure they had it in stock - for real. The answer is yes.

The LONG awaited final novel by George A. Romero, completed by Daniel Kraus is out! Released on August 4th for $27.99 from Tor, received my copy on the 11th - I had Amazon free shipping.

Gonna take my time, the novel is 635 pages with an additional fifteen by Kraus detailing how he got involved and his method for completing Romero's book since he had died before completion. Not going to rush - it is the final rodeo.

An excerpt was published earlier in the undead anthology, "Nights Of The Living Dead", published by St. Martin's Press in 2017. "John Doe", the sixth short in the book. It stands out since it has no crescendo - it just ends before anything real happens.

Did a story by story review of the book in late 2018 to early 2019 - here's Part 2 on "John Doe".

This needs to be made clear since there are some who just can't grasp. This isn't all in the same cinematic universe. These are sequels and reboots - starting at day one, not connected with the films which came before.

The first iteration was a trilogy which became a quadrilogy. The modern/contemporary zombie concept, now a trope started with...

"Night Of The Living Dead" (1968); the undead contagion begins. The movie concerns itself with the events through the eyes of (mostly) random strangers who have taken refuge in a now abandoned farmhouse in a rural part of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This is day three of the infection, now becoming an epidemic.

"Dawn Of The Dead" (1978); three weeks have passed since the events of "Night"; the undead crisis is getting out of hand - authorities are overwhelmed. We are witnessing the fabric of civilization coming undone. Now following four survivors who take refuge in a fortified mall in Pittsburgh of their own doing. A sanctuary which becomes their tomb. But gets worse with invaders who want the goods inside.

"Day Of The Dead" (1985); undetermined number of years have passed since the events in "Dawn". Humanity is facing extinction. As Dr. "Frankenstein" Logan says, "400,000 to 1" (conservative estimate), the ratio of undead to the living. We follow a group of survivors; military and scientists who were gathered in the last minute to find a solution in an underground, repurposed facility. This is where film series originally ended, a bleak conclusion. This entry took place in Florida, not in Pennsylvania.

"Land Of The Dead" (2005); undetermined number of decades have passed since the events of "Day". People have been born, only knowing the world of the insatiable resurrected. Humanity consolidated itself, retook urban areas, created (mostly) safe zones. Fiddler's Green in Pittsburgh is one of several such places around the planet. We follow a group of city soldiers and mercenaries who were tasked, retrieve a stolen survival tank, Dead Reckoning which will be used against Fiddler's Green by a terrorist. This is where the franchise starting with "Night" '68 concludes.

but...

Before his death on July 16th, 2017 - Romero was working on a fourth sequel, "Road Of The Dead". The screenplay was completed and was getting ready to shop it around for investors, then he died. Written by Romero and Matt Birman.

It's set in a sanctuary city where this fat cat runs a haven for rich folks, and one of the things that he does is stage drag races to entertain them. There's a scientist there doing genetic experiments, trying to make the zombies stop eating us, and he has discovered that with a little tampering, they can recall certain memory skills that enable them to drive in these races. It’s really "The Fast And The Furious" with zombies.
    - Romero

That quote was made three days before his death. Romero understood he could not keep it up, opted not to direct, but to produce. Birman was going to direct, he was second unit director on "Land".

"Road" takes place six years after the events in "Land".

Think a makeshift Roman coliseum with cars and ghouls; taking inspirations from "Ben-Hur" (1959) and the "Fast And The Furious" films. Like with "Survival" it is set on an island, not in Pennsylvania nor Florida.

We have a Caligula type ruler who unknown to him has among his stolen possessions (a person) - the cure. Zombies can end. It's a race (literal) to make sure he doesn't find out and to take it off the island. Because with the remedy, he could rule the world - his exclusive salvation.

[Sorry had to break this into two parts since I had too many text characters]

Credits
    Popping In With Another Update - Part II

The project was dead; there were efforts to make it for the big screen, but all failed. In the Summer of 2018 it was announced that IDW Publishing was going to release an adaptation of the screenplay; a three issues comic book by novelist Jonathan Mayberry with covers by artists Drew Moss and Santiperez.

Had to do some research since there was no real hype over the mini-series. It indeed did come out and left without much interest. I'm bummed and happy about that. I want a MOVIE, not a comic book.

Above is the graphic novel collection, ninety-three pages released by IDW on June 11th, 2019 for $15.99. It wasn't received too well, many complained about the artwork inside was poor, the covers had better art.

Now that I know - it's on my list. I'll pick it up soon and do a write-up, the graphic novel, not the issues.

- - -

The first official reboot happened with "Night Of The Living Dead" in 1990.

The remake could've restarted the Romero undead series. It failed, that's sad. I saw this on opening day and was floored. The remake was just as good as the original, that's an impressive feat. But as you read in my book review of "Night Of The Living Dead '90: The Version You've Never Seen", that awesomeness was accidental. *shakes head*

The production was plagued with various problems and watered down for an R rating by the MPAA. Then it bombed at the box office; when you count the money spent on promotion - made with a budget of $4,200,000 [estimated]. It grossed over 5.8 million during its U.S. theatrical run.

In fact it would be years later before director (and effects man) Tom Savini would helm another motion picture - he got so burned.

This reboot is a stand alone feature, NOT connected to the previous films. As with the original, takes place at the start of the infection, once again - Pittsburgh, PA with a group of mostly random strangers under siege in an isolated farm house.

- - -

The second official reboot occurred in 2008 and did well enough to have a single sequel.

"Diary Of The Dead"; once we are again on Day One. This new series is NOT linked to the Romero undead films that came before. No reason given, the situation is what it is - the dead have risen. Events takes place in Pennsylvania once more.

"Survival Of The Dead" (2009); this follows the characters which were briefly introduced in "Diary", the AWOL National Guardsmen who robbed our main characters in their Winnebago RV. It is set a few weeks after the last movie and mostly off the coast of Delaware on Plum Island. Where our carpetbaggers encounter two family clans at war with each other - over what to do with the dead menace.

There was room for a third; there was some talk about following the Tracy Thurman character played by Amy Lalonde. When we last saw her in "Diary", she had taken off alone in the RV - future unknown. She was a fun character what was her off screen adventures?

- - -

The third reboot came out this year (2020) with the book, "The Living Dead: A New Novel"; great chunks of it was written by Romero before he died (lung cancer), including outlines of ideas he wanted to use.

We once again at Day One. None of the films that came before matter, a reboot. Like with 1990 this takes place in the present.

As the horrors escalate we follow several people trying to survive the madness these random people will converge; Luis Acocella an L.A. assistant medical examiner, teen Greer Morgan, news anchor Chuck Chaplin as well as U.S. Navy helmsman Karl Nishimura and a mysterious woman, Etta Hoffmann.

The book was written with the intent of answering the main question - how did this all come about? What caused the dead to rise? And the novel is self-contained; beginning, middle and end. No desire for a sequel.

I've said this a few times. I don't care for the final cover art. The original cover done when this book was first announced was far more better, above - it had atmosphere. The final cover by Jamie Stafford-Hill, looks like cracked paint, it is so damn lazy.

I'm going to have a new entry later this month on the re-remastered documentary, "Reflections Of The Living Dead" DVD which came out earlier this year. It will get written, have a lot on my plate right now. I've been writing a book, don't know if anything will come from it, but I want to put this to page while I still have passion on it. It's totally different from anything I've posted here, not movie or media based.

Anyhow, it will get done and I have a story on it - Amazon dropped the ball. See you soon.

Credits
    PART I: THE 1968 CLASSIC - I P1

You had woken up this morning with a hangover. It was a helluva party, some hot girls and lots of drink and laughs. But now you had to get ready for work. Joy.

Looking at the bed as you head to unload in the bathroom, you notice a spot where there was another body. Damn! Did you take Lacy to bed last night? You see her blue bra hanging on the bed post. So, that's a yes. You pause for a moment thinking. And thought some more. Oh crap. I don't remember this. I don't remember this. You had been wanting to score with her for months. She was one if not the hottest girl in the office.

You took another pause and thought of what to say to her as she picked up her stuff and did her 'walk of shame'. Man, you wish you could remember her touch, body - her person. You go into the bathroom do your thing and do a quick brushing of teeth and shave. Nothing special, just getting the job done.

It was after that last shave swive that you noticed something - the silence. Where is she? You had thought she was in the kitchen brewing coffee or having it ready for breakfast. But walking into the space she was nowhere to be found. A quick walkabout in the home had Lacy nowhere. That took you the front door, it was slightly ajar. Did she go outside?

You remember seeing the bedroom closet open as you went into the bathrom, did she take one your robes to grab the newspaper? Had to be. You close the front and think on it, she's probably outside having a conversation with Mrs. Nestour; she is a gabby person. Can imagine the first question - 'why are you coming out HIS apartment?' Nestour was a tease.

Oh well, she'll be here in a few. You collect her bits - and place them on top of the made bed and head for the kitchen for that coffee and some waffles, the pre-made kind. As you wait for the toaster to cook them, you turn on the TV. The audio was low; you were occupied with finishing getting dressed. You came back when the toaster dinged and finally saw the screen. Your smile had gone. The newscasters looking disheveled, like they were there for hours, they spoke about a global crisis.

The volume is raised. There were mass violence occuring around the planet, blood and ultra violent conflicts on random people, people have been murdered. WTF? Eyes now glued on the TV, nobody knows what's happening. Flipping on the other channels you found the same. This is real.

On the other stations, there were speculating that some kind of virus or contagion was release. Some of the more bold thoughts were on last night's meteor shower as a possible link if not cause. It's like you woke up to a sci-fi flick. That's when there was a bump on the door. Oh! It's Lacy - she needs to know what's happening. We can pretty much guess that going to work is canceled.

And there it was again, the bump, not a knock. You were ready to grab the door knob, but paused. Don't know why. You just did. You moved in quiet to the peep hole. And saw Lacy with your baby blue robe on, it was open. You could see one of her breast exposed, no panties. You remained quiet, rising fear. Her left arm was bloody. Can't make it out, what kind of damage. And once again, Lacy was attempting to walk through the door, banging into it. Then she saw your eye.

Saw your eye through the peep - just a moment of contact then she hits the door with both arms, making a guttural growl. Again and again, trying to get in. Like she forgot how to use a knob. You had thought about getting a better view at the nearby window, but decided that would be... a bad thing. A very bad thing. What if she tried to break the plate glass? She could get inside without much effort. Then what?

Then what?

Then more thoughts popped in your head, the noise she was making - what if that attracted more of these things? But that was short lived. A few doors down, you could hear Ms. Nestour yelling out to stop, stop making so much noise, 'I'm trying to sleep here!' That's when Lacy halted her door attack and went after your neighbor. A few moments later you heard her screams. So little time. There is no way to secure this place, this apartment is a death trap.

You grab your backpack and fill it with some bottles of water and cans of soda for the calories. Plus various cans from the pantry plus TWO can openers. Few small bags of chips too. Then as if automatic ran into the bedroom, top drawer of the dresser - the travel case (inside were three travel sized toothpastes, a toothbrush and various toiletries plus a small first aid kit) taken and added to the backpack.

You had save so much time since you were already dressed, shoes on too. You grabbed your keys, by default and opened the front door. Lacy was... EATING? Eating Mrs. Nestour - was that intestines? Oh god. God! This is really happening. She raised her bloody face to look at you, but was more occupied with her feast. You again, as default locked the door.

Running down the stairs you could hear in the distance, screams, yells and calls for help. You rush into the garage space and remember your car is at the mechanic, busted clutch. Oh yeah, you had to pick that up later today. Fixed late yesterday afternoon; while you were at the party. Your friend Mick had brought you home. Well, you and Lacy.

Lacy... didn't even get to kiss you goodbye. She was pretty cool, awesome really. That's when you notice a fallen bicycle. It had been years since you rode one, like they say - you never forget. Sorry whoever you are, I need this now. A moment later you're pedaling into Hell. You could hear various sirens even seeing above various helicopters. News ones, you thought. Hey?

Could they help and pick you up? You try to find a spot that was vacant enough after a few blocks of chaos, you find a good four way street that was empty, clear all areas - line of sight. You see one of the choppers and try to gain their attention waving your arms. Even at one point holding up the bike since it was shiny, thinking the metal reflection might get their attention.

Nothing. This was a long shot after all, but being it the sky would be far safer than here - until they run out of fuel. A moment later the same helicopter did a turn back. You jump and wave some more. That's when you saw over your shoulder. The mob - that's the best word you could think of. A mob of... them. Walking towards you. You didn't yell out or made some loud sounds. But you did make a spectacle of yourself.

Then a glance to your right. Another group coming towards you. You got a few seconds to decide; STAY and hope that bird picks you up OR ride away while you can. A few more jumps and no more. You get on the bike when you hear the chopper coming above you. As in right above you. 'Get IN!' You grab onto a landing strut and hold on for dear life as it rises up. Looking below you see the crowd, now around your bike - well borrowed bike. That's when it hits you.

You are a hundred feet in the air, not inside the helicopter. Just hugging that strut like nobody's business. This is when fear took hold. Funny it wasn't when you saw your gal pal eating your neighbor or seeing the bloody streets. It's the fear of heights that was more paramount. Eyes wide open when you felt a hand go under your arm. "What?!!!"

Was as far as you can tell a firefighter, that much you could register from his clothing or one of those male exotic dancers. He pulls you by force since you had a rough time letting go. Pulling you into the cab. A few seconds later - inside. Somewhat shocked as another person - a gruff fellow who looked like a cop asked if you were bitten or scratched? Took a moment to comprehend. "No, was getting ready for work when this happen, fled, home wasn't safe. Couldn't stay." Some breaths later, you see the four inside.

That firefighter, that cop, a high school girl and pilot who was dressed in a Starbucks outfit. So not his bird. Must have seen what was going on and stole the chopper. Hey, you're not complaining - they saved your life. You softly bang your head on the door window and look at the citywide pandemonium below. Houses and buildings are on fire. So many pillars of smoke coming from all directions. Just as you turn away back to the cabin you witness two cars, at full speed crashing into each other. One of them wasn't wearing a seat belt; the unfortunate was tossed out - into a mob. You closed your eyes and hoped he or she died before the swarm ripped them apart.

Numb. Just numb. Drained. What happens now? Where are we going?

Does this group have a destination? Or just fly about until no more, but fumes? Damn it, Lacy - why did you have to get the newspaper? More silence. Nobody wants to talk, only the noise of the machine is going, like a a muffled sermon. Did you pack some aspirins? Head is still throbbing from the hangover - the last party you will EVER attend.

Back in the October 20th, 2016 I wrote about the 1993 documentary (first put out on VHS) on the original, then newly on DVD, Reflections On The Living Dead: Limited Edition from 2015.

And once again on the subject in the May 21st, 2020 post - now having been re-re-remastered for 2020.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 12-31-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Credits
    PART I: THE 1968 CLASSIC - I P2

This is an official DVD-R (manufactured on demand) titled. It was released on May 26th, 2020 from Tempe Entertainment for $24.99. Catalog number is TD-1206. UPC# is 8 - 22028 - 12069 - 6. The region 0 came in a common DVD case with a printed wrapaound (not an ink jet print out), comes with a printed disc label, not ink jet. Unlike the '15 release, this DVD is does not have a double printed wrapaound for a different title.

The DVD and BD streeted against "The Invisible Man" (2020) - it was a slow week.

The release was not issued a slipcover and came with... I'll get into that in a few. A story.

The DVD-R has fifteen chapters. The documentary is seventy-nine minutes long.

- - -

Extras:

* Newly re-remastered print
    * New commentary: director Thomas Brown and producer J.R. Bookwalter
    * Additional Trailers: "Robot Ninja" [remastered] (anamorphic, 1989), "The Dead Next Door" [remastered] (anamorphic, 1989), "Platoon Of The Dead" (anamorphic, 1989) and "Poison Sweethearts" (anamorphic, 2008)

- - -

Audio:

* Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo)

- - -

NOTES/RANT

There are subtitles in English only.

The DVD-R nor BD-R were not dubbed in any language(s).

It is presented in full screen as was the original '93 release.

Unlike the last edition which had no menu options other than play this has a real menu.

You will need the last version to have most of the bonus materials. Missing here are...

* New introduction by writer/director Thomas Brown
    * New interviews with Karl Hardman and Marilyn Eastman
    * New interview with actress Judith O'Dea

As you may have noticed, this was also release on Blu-Ray, also an MOD title. It share the same retail price as the DVD. The same extras appear on the BD. Blu-Ray does have something quite relevant that was omitted on the DVD - complete unedited roundtable from 1993 with George A. Romero, John A. Russo, Russ Streiner and Karl Hardman. Chatting and reminiscing about their movie. This extra is one hundred one minutes long.

What sucks is since this is a manufactured on demand release - this cost them very little to make, burn, pennies really. Fans like myself would've paid a few more dollars for a two disc set. Disc two would be the roundtable and the other missing extras from the last release. ALL OF THEM would've fit snug on the disc.

There really is no good excuse for this not to have happened.

The Blu-Ray also has another exclusive - the original VHS version of the documentary which has segments deleted from their pervious 2005 DVD version. It's in the '15 Limited Edition and this new re-re-release. Why have the cassette edition as a bonus? Good question. Going for a retro feel?

What makes even less sense is that the 2015 release is out of print. Pardon? There was never any inventory, how can it be out of print?

*shakes head*

- - -

SOUNDTRACKS PART XI

For the first time, the documentary soundtrack was made available. This streeted on May 22nd, 2020 - "Reflections On The Living Dead: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" music by Matthew Jason Walsh.

This is another MOD title, a CD-R from Tempe Sound for $9.99 or $5.99 for a digital download. It has two bonus tracks.

1. Opening Credits
    2. Slideshow
    3. Roundtable
    4. Famous Fans Speak!
    5. Early Stages Of Production
    6. Selecting Duane Jones For The Role Of Ben
    7. Violence & Gore
    8. Makeup & Effects
    9. On The Newsroom
    10. Coat Trees & Molotov Cocktails
    11. Music & Sound
    12. On Luck & Determination
    13. On Tenacity & Talent
    14. Barabra Speaks!
    15. Final Memories & Mayhem
    16. Montage
    17. End Credits
    18. NOTLD 25th Anniversary Main Theme (Bonus Track)
    19. NOTLD 25th Anniversary End Credits (Bonus Track)

Here's the thing. This total music here is 17:31 minutes, some tracks are only fourteen seconds long. Now here's where the story begins.

When this was first announced, Tempe Entertainment said the first thousand copies would get it for free. I was under the impression this was the digital download - it was. It also came with a Digital Copy. When I became aware of this newer remastered doc, I ordered from Amazon on June 4th, 2020. It arrived about a week or so later.

???

Where's the link to download the soundtrack? The case only had the disc. Amazon even mentioned the first thousand got the soundtrack, can't find my copy. Ended up contacting Tempe (a letter, not an email); there was an error. Their reply came around mid July...

As it turns out, this was Amazon's mistake! Although the DVD and Blu-Ray do ship with an insert featuring digital redemption codes, this feature is exclusive to copies sold through our company. For some reason, Amazon chose to source the DVD through our retail partners at Allie Vaughn, and their copies do NOT come with a digital code insert. (Blu-Ray purchasers did not have this issue.)

We have since amended the Amazon product listing to remove references to free digital content, but we're hapy to include a copy of the insert with this letter that will allow you to redeem the soundtrack MP3 and [B]Viemo[B] On Demand digital copy you were promised.
    - MakeFlix Customer Service; July 11th, 2020

This was a single sided ink jet printed insert with the link and Digital Copy link which expires on January 1st, 2025. I have mine inside the case, complete as it were.

*long pause*

Didn't complete the download, only took four tracks then stopped. What was the point?

Credits
    PART I: THE 1968 CLASSIC - I P3

The MP3 downloads are in 150 - 156 Kbps in variable bit rate. I wish I was joking. No. The audio quality is that of a cassette tape. I thought at the very least this would be 256 maybe in VBR. That would be cool. Nope. To make it worse the music by Walsh was so-so, synth driven. That's okay, there are outstanding synthwave music out there, I am a fan. But this was... pedestrian. I get it, this was made in 1993 and on a budget so this was the best the documentary filmmakers could get. But man, this is so generic. I will not be pursuing a physical copy.

How does it compare from the 2015 edition?

Here are two examples '15 on the left - '20 on the right.

Here's a still from the roundtable; Romero (left) and John A. Russo.

First off you can see the framing is different - the window box presentation is removed for the '20 release. This and the image quality is slightly better. Such as Romero's hands are more defined with the 2020 redo.

The same also with this next.

Director Wes Craven's outdoor interview. The framing is cropped, taking out the window box. Slightly more color, but not much. Plus the text is clearer, but only a few notches up.

So yeah, you will see an improvement. But it's more of a subtle upgrade. I kinda wanted to see the upscale done like what was done for the early seasons of "Star Trek: The Next Generation", they were mastered on video tape; those same masters were redone in high def - the end result was a night and day difference. And should be the bench mark for remasters based on video tape sources.

Sadly it's not.

- - -

Updates...

While finishing out the research I made a discovery. The roundtable was given it's own release. The bad news - exclusively on VHS. Yes, a cassette released in 2019; "Roundtable Of The Living Dead: A Conversation With The Creators", the limited edition was released by Phantom Pain Films through Tempe Entertainment and retails for $24.99, another MOD. And is uncut. Where the hell is the DVD version???

Checked on their website, nope. No DVD release.

Joy, anyhow - I have since bought and received the long, long, long over due novel, almost a myth since so much time passed.

"The Living Dead" (2020) is here! I want to do a proper book review, but I've been so busy with this and that. It all eats up so much of my time. And on top of that I've been busy writing a book. Unrelated to anything here or in "Past Tense", something I'm passionate about. Can't say if that will ever be published, but it's a pet project that keeps growing with new subject popping in my head. Plus I had to write up all the "2020 Limited Edition Horror" posts, one for each week in October. I was busy so had nothing in surplus. A few of them minutes before posting.

So I'm having trouble making the time to read the book. I have read the first two chapters and it does confirm by belief that the short story in "Nights Of The Living Dead: Anthology" (2017, above) by George A. Romeo was in fact excerpts from this novel. You can read a detail review covering each of the shorts here.

I still stand by it, "Dead Man's Curve" by Joe R. Lansdale would make an outstanding movie set in the Romero undead universe (set in 1968 as the plauge just began, earlier that day); kinda surprise nobody has done that. Movies officially set in that universe. Sadly as written in the review, it ends on a cliffhanger. I WANTED more. Damn good.

I hope, hope to have that read by end of November to have a review entry post for December. Now... it this fails, I do have a back-up topic. Not filler, good stuff.

And there you go. Like I would let a Halloween go by with out a post. The holiday is my favorite time of the year. Can't say what will happen this year - give away candy? Will there be any Halloween parties? Myself? The default continues to be "Dawn Of The Dead: Extended Mall Hours" bootleg of the 1978 classic. Combines the various editions, mashed into one. A way more richer film; watched on Halloween night, seen once a year.

Have a safe and fun holiday, where you can. Karen is watching and perhaps judging.

Credits
    PART IV: BOOKS - A9

No story this time out.

Man, this became a dud on me. Bought the graphic novel collection earlier this month and it arrived a couple days back. I had hoped to write the last entry for 2020 on the comic book adaptation of the unproduced final film of the Romero undead films - "Road Of The Dead".

Nope, didn't happen though I'm still looking into it.

As far as I can tell (at this point), they were pretty sure the movie was going to get made - did a comic book prequel to that feature - "Road Of The Dead: Highway To Hell" (2018). Graphic novel came out in 2019.

Here's the thing. All the stuff I read online said this was going to be made from the unproduced screenplay. Nowhere was it said it wasn't, but a prequel. So reading this made me confused - entirely different. No island. No car race derby. Well the final page has the 'survivors' in a helicopter heading towards the island.

Will get into THIS - a major plot point in the unmade movie - 'the cure' isn't one. There isn't a cure. This mess is beyond fixing. Other than purging the planet of the undead it is a permanent condition. What this formula does is mimic what Dr. Matthew Logan (Richard Liberty) a.k.a. 'Frankenstein' was doing in "Day Of The Dead" (1985).

Logan was stimulating higher brain functions by training the dead (Bub) NOT to eat people. What is discovered by the CDC scientist is a quicker route - an injection taken before the person dies; must having a working circulatory system to spread the drug, a one time shot; hits the blood stream to the brain, keeping a chunk from fully dying.

What you get is domesticated zombies, existing in a daze; like a drunk and not eating. How much of them remains? Didn't get into that - just that it works and is pretty much the only way to stop them from getting bloody, bite bite. Not the end all answer, but it's better than nothing and will curb future zombies from going classical.

Not a vaccine - you have be dying from the virus to use, not just given when healthy. It's rather tragic; wouldn't it be better just to kill yourself, knowing you will hurt and hunt down the living? The shot will leave you wandering about undead till you get a head shot or decompose, but that virus is acting as a preservative. Well I guess it could be a religious motive not to do that. *shrugs*

What happen to my review of "The Living Dead" (2020) novel? I've been so busy with this and that - keeps 'eating' my time. I plan on doing it for next year. Sway.

What I will do is talk about the 1968 film - written in a couple of 'must see' compendiums. Books about movies to watch.

The first was published in 2009 from Barron's Entertainment Series, Inc.

"101 Horror Movies: You Must See Before You Die" by Steven Jay Schneider. A thick little paperback, almost could fit in your pocket, could fit in a coat pocket. Each entry is four pages long; covers basic trivia some images and makes a case on why you should see it - no ranking.

The '68 film is featured on page 172.

The book is less about the history of horror motion pictures, as it is inspirations to see movies which could be unknown to you and worthy of your time. It's a great, cinema stimulus reference. I like it.

Yeah, the book was later re-released in 2016 with a new cover ("The Shining" [1980]). I have the first pressing which is now selling for $120 new or $77 used on Amazon. If you didn't know - that '16 cover image is from "The Exorcist" (1973). The re-released is forty-nine bucks new.

Above is the advertisement from the next, a hardcover - "Fright Favorites: 31 Movies To Haunt Your Halloween And Beyond" by David J. Skal. Book came out in 2020. Like the other, there is no ranking, thirty-one movies written on.

It was published by Hatchette Book Group. Most films have six pages which covers the plot and film history along with behind-the-scenes images and its poster. Each entry is given a sidebar with a somewhat related recommendations. The suggestion here is for "Carnival Of Souls" (1962). Most? "Creature From The Black Lagoon" (1954) has eight pages.

The 1968 film is on page 128. Now... there is an error in that post. One of the pictures is in fact from the 1990 remake shown in black in white (page one hundred twenty-nine).

As mentioned this book was written by Skal - a film historian, he is known for writing well researched cinema; I have two of his other publications, outstanding stuff.

The 'Living Dead' entry has a quote from a '68 Variety reviewer (unnamed)...

The film cast serious aspersions on the integrity of its makers, distrib[utor] Walter Reade, the film industry as a whole, and exhibitors who book the pic, as well as raising doubts about the future of the regional theatre movement and the moral health of filmgoers who cheerfully opt for unrelieved sadism.
    And just like that - Young MC's "Bust A Move" (1989) pops to mind. *wink* Oh man, I know this feature was seriously hated when it came out. Too real for them. Movie critic Roger Ebert condemn it too.

And there you go; last post for '20 on final day of the year. More is yet to come next year. That flame is still blazing hot, some fifty-two years later. See you soon.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567