Thanks Thanks:  126
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Best Buy

Credits

What's the Deal?

Not sure what's going on here, but it's pretty obvious Best Buy, for the most part, gave up on SteelBook Exclusives a while back, we all know that.
    The weird part is that Sunrise/FYE is actually also offering many of the so called "Best Buy Exclusives" on their Site.

Agreed, The mission: Impossible wave was limited to Best Buy, but it was not an exclusive to start with, simply nobody else cared about carrying it in Canada.

Shazam!, Super Mario Brothers, & The Flash have placeholders on Sunrise/FYE.

Is Sunrise/FYE getting ready to take over some Best Buy assets in Canada? After all, that's what they do, they purchase bits and pieces from failing companies, Bed Bath & Beyond, David's Tea, and of course FYE and HMV.

Pure speculation, but anyone who's watched the movie "Wall Street" knows what I'm talking about. American Retailers are leaving Canada for various reasons, but mostly, doing business here is not a walk in the park in profit making.
    Best Buy gave up on Mexico, why not give up on Canada as well, it's not like they carry much anyway, half the stuff they have are from resellers.

I know some of you guy's work at Sunrise/FYE, any talks/thoughts?

Last edited by jacques1400; 07-27-2023 at 06:21 PM.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post

Not sure what's going on here, but it's pretty obvious Best Buy, for the most part, gave up on SteelBook Exclusives a while back, we all know that.
    The weird part is that Sunrise/FYE is actually also offering many of the so called "Best Buy Exclusives" on their Site.

Agreed, The mission: Impossible wave was limited to Best Buy, but it was not an exclusive to start with, simply nobody else cared about carrying it in Canada.

Shazam!, Super Mario Brothers, & The Flash have placeholders on Sunrise/FYE.

Is Sunrise/FYE getting ready to take over some Best Buy assets in Canada? After all, that's what they do, they purchase bits and pieces from failing companies, Bed Bath & Beyond, David's Tea, and of course FYE and HMV.

Pure speculation, but anyone who's watched the movie "Wall Street" knows what I'm talking about. American Retailers are leaving Canada for various reasons, but mostly, doing business here is not a walk in the park in profit making.
    Best Buy gave up on Mexico, why not give up on Canada as well, it's not like they carry much anyway, half the stuff they have are from resellers.

I know some of you guy's work at Sunrise/FYE, any talks/thoughts?

If Sunrise/FYE is getting ready to take over some Best Buy steelbook assets in Canada; I hope this also includes Disney's Marvel, Pixar,Star Wars and Disney movies.

Credits
    Somehow I suspect that the BB USA exclusives will block others from doing it in Canada.

Plus, with the news that Disney are stopping physical media releases in Australia, I suspect we will follow the same fate soon.

Credits

@Wavey Dave

Best Buy US has no say in Canadian Distribution fortunately.
    Best Buy Canada is a separate entity/corporation as with all foreign based ventures in this country. They are required to make their own deals with their business partners, otherwise it can be offered to anyone. Problem is, we have very few retailers left, which doesn't bode well.

As for Disney quitting the Physical Media, speculation at this point, but even if factual, that's simply because they've extended themselves and are struggling due the investments they made in the Streaming Services, and other ventures. Cutbacks are in order.

The market is changing, and if you ask me, for the better. Physical media from the studios used to be packed with Special Features and Bonus content, not these days.
    You get a few bits and a digital copy, not even a trailer.

Physical media is now a growing business opportunity for Boutique Labels, and they pack them with content.
    New labels are popping up yearly, so it's only a matter of time before Disney caves to the leasing of rights to their catalog titles.

Credits
    Not to get of topic but sadly from the recent headlines the Disney Co. seems to be done and are financially and creatively bankrupt. That being said Disney quitting the Physical Media, would be a foolish move on their part. To be honest I hope Disney caves in to the leasing the rights of their catalog titles and/or maybe smarten up and release obscure Disney titles themselves. I would love to get steelbooks to older Disney titles from the The Bronze Age like The Black Cauldron. Or from live action movies like Disney’s forgotten horror movie ‘Something Wicked This Way Comes’ but Disney probably make money from re releasing steelbooks to older film titles.

Credits
    Looks like that's a wrap even in the US as BB will phase out sales of DVDs and Blu-ray discs both in-store and online in early 2024

https://www.joblo.com/best-buy-ending-physical-media/

Credits

No big deal, it was inevitable.
    The transition already began with new Boutique labels being created over the last year or so.
    Of course it makes a dent on SteelBooks for the North American market, but it's not like we were getting much of anything here anyway.

Hey!!! it might work in our favour, Amazon Canada was not carrying many of the US offerings of standard releases in either BD & 4K, so if the rumours are true about Best Buy US, then we may see more options this side of the border.

Credits
    This is pretty sad some regular Bluray/DVD and Steelbook Blu Rays & 4ks exclusives were the main thing I bought from them. I don’t think I will be shopping at Best Buy CAN/USA anymore once they end sales.

Credits

@Cull Obsidian

It's not like Best Buy Canada had much to start with, and "if" Best Buy US does eliminate physical media, it will take care of the Scalpers.

I stopped buying from Best Buy a long time ago, and like you, simply bought the few exclusives they carried.
    The new CEO in the US is looking at streamlining costs, that's why they shut Mexico down.

All physical media combined, i.e. Games, Movies, etc.. only accounts for 6% in sales in the US, so it only makes sense to drop them.

Best Buy Canada is not performing too good this year either, according to their quarterly reports anyway, and they did shutdown 4 locations so far.

Physical Media will always be alive, simply not as we knew it, everyone thought vinyl was dead with streaming, and look what happened.

Credits
    Yes @jacques1400, I totally agree that Physical Media will always be alive, simply not as we knew it. My only concern is like for example Disney Exclusive steelbook (Star Wars, Disney movies, PIXAR and Marvel) is going to be where are you going to purchase them aside from online stores like Amazon. I am still someone who likes to purchase from a brick and mortar store like CINEMA 1; where I was able to purchase the bluray steelbook for LOKI and have preorders for Wandavision and the Mandalorian season 1&2. Maybe Disney was using these as a litmus test to see if the demand for steelbooks was still viable before committing to still making steelbook exclusives. That being said the LOKI 4K steelbook was gone while CINEMA 1 still had at that time a few copies of the LOKI bluray. In addition to the fact that Best Buy CAN did not carry the Blue Beetle steelbook granted it did pitiful at the theaters; but I would still want to have had it along with my other DCEU steelbooks. At any I guess we will not be able to complete the steelbook set for final Fast and Furious movie.

Credits

Unfortunately Brick and Mortar stores, not simply for physical media, but for all aspects of non-perishable goods, are going the way of the Dodo bird.
    Canada with it's government policies, labor rates, taxes and low population is non-conducive for major US retailers to do business in this country, small independent retailers similar to Cinema 1, are getting squeezed out of existence by online giants. Cinema 1 has been closing their stores at the end of lease, simply because they cannot compete given new increased rates.

As for Exclusives, be it Disney or any other Studio, unless it's retail wide by the studio, distribution requires a retailer to contractually agree to carry them. Best Buy Canada has relatively dropped "Exclusives," that only leaves Sunrise which is mainly focused on Music. Odds of someone picking up "Exclusive" SteelBooks in this country are pretty slim, 4K is region free, so might as well get used to ordering from Europe.

Credits

In other news, Source The Toronto Star:

Best Buy: The consumer electronics retailer said it would be reducing its workforce by 0.7 per cent, estimated to be about 700 employees, in January.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213