Thanks Thanks:  1
    Credits

Is Physical Media Dying?

It's simply a marketing ploy IMO, that way they can release a "New Extended Cut" at some point to double dip.
    The standard set contains all the deleted and extended scenes which make up the extended version in the special features, so not integrating them within the main feature is deliberate.

I tend to disagree about physical media dying, there definitely is an adjustment in respect to volume and delivery due to the various medias available, but there will always be physical media sources.
    The apocalypse on vinyl & tapes was proclaimed when CD's & Digital Downloads became the rage, and now we have more vinyl in a Sunrise store than anything else (apart from Funko's anyway).

Warner Archive is aggressively expanding it's catalogue and re-releasing previously OOP products, It might not be worth the money for Warner as a corporation to invest into future physical media ventures, but there will always be someone ready to take it over. That's my five cents worth anyway......

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post

It's simply a marketing ploy IMO, that way they can release a "New Extended Cut" at some point to double dip.
    The standard set contains all the deleted and extended scenes which make up the extended version in the special features, so not integrating them within the main feature is deliberate.

I tend to disagree about physical media dying, there definitely is an adjustment in respect to volume and delivery due to the various medias available, but there will always be physical media sources.
    The apocalypse on vinyl & tapes was proclaimed when CD's & Digital Downloads became the rage, and now we have more vinyl in a Sunrise store than anything else (apart from Funko's anyway).

Warner Archive is aggressively expanding it's catalogue and re-releasing previously OOP products, It might not be worth the money for Warner as a corporation to invest into future physical media ventures, but there will always be someone ready to take it over. That's my five cents worth anyway......

Well we already have examples of movies not being released on physical at all (like all of Netflix's original in-house produced movies and shows, including the movie that almost won Best Picture), or needing to import them for extra high prices (Cold War, an Amazon release, comes to mind here, as does Beautiful Boy for the States). And examples of movies only being released to DVD (like Can You Ever Forgive Me?), and not Blu-ray/4K. And in the case of this thread, examples of specific features -- including alternate cuts of the movie -- only available online. Yes, boutique places like Shout/Scream and Arrow will probably still exist with their high prices for elite collectors looking for specific genre films, but with Disney announcing they're going to be putting all of their existing and new content on Disney+, WB coming out with their own streaming platform and Hulu's impending expansion, not to mention Bill Hunt from The Digital Bits writing out pretty blatantly that the end is nigh, I think you're wearing blinders if you think that physical isn't riding into the sunset.

Credits

OK, so the end is nigh, it absolutely makes no difference to me since I'm one of those elite collector wearing blinders, but I will have all the physical media I need when Bill Hunt day happens, so I'm good.

We simply agree to disagree.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post

OK, so the end is nigh, it absolutely makes no difference to me since I'm one of those elite collector wearing blinders, but I will have all the physical media I need when Bill Hunt day happens, so I'm good.

We simply agree to disagree.

You can't agree to disagree when you're ignoring stats, facts and trends. I feel like our discussion here is the equivalent of you sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "Not listening! You're wrong!" But hey, if you want to ignore what's staring you in the face, then who am I to judge? The fact is that those elite companies won't get the licenses for movies from Disney, WB and the like -- so it's doubtful we'll be able to keep buying Marvel movies in the future when they're getting sent straight to Disney+ after going to theatres (if they even go to theatres at all). And the fact that Disney just bought Fox and have a large controlling stake in Hulu should give you pause and tell you exactly where the industry is heading.

And writing off Bill Hunt is an arrogant move since he's one of the leading experts on DVDs, Blu-rays and 4K, and is a die hard physical fan like you are. Here's some enlightening reading -- http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my...ts/011119-1500

Keep buying as much and as often as you can. But it is dying. And comparing it to music trends is about as insightful as comparing it to games. But then again, games started as cartridges...and then became CDs...then Blu-rays...and now the new X-Box is rumoured to be all streaming. So...