Thanks Thanks:  21
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Cull Obsidian View Post

Wall-E (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray) steelbook

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2231802

Up (English) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2231799

Monsters University (4K+2D Blu-ray)

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2231800

Monsters, Inc. (English) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2231801

A Bug's Life (English) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2231798

Well my order came in for these Disney Pixar 4K/Bluray Steelbook Combos listed above and they are really steelbooks even though they are not listed or placed in the steelbook section. From first glance there are no Disney dents, spine scratches and no problem with the clamps meaning the steelbooks stays shut. If anybody was unsure if this was a steelbook and did not want to order this it is safe to order.

Credits
    I was reading a rumour on another site; but it states most Best Buy USA stores supplies are only receiving 2-5 copies of this wave due to over stock of the printing/estimating of the last wave of the PIXAR/Disney 4K steelbooks. But if that is the case maybe it was a good thing that Best Buy CAN neglected to put this wave of PIXAR 4K steelbooks in the Best Buy Canada steelbook section.

Credits
    Riddle me this since the live version of 'Mulan' is going to skip movie theatres and stream directly to Disney Plus; it is also safe to assume that we will not see a steelbook release for this movie?

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-mul...0-dollars-us/#
    Last edited by Cull Obsidian; 08-06-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Credits

IMO Yes, it's safe to assume Mulan won't get a SteelBook.
    Disney+ is relatively new, and slightly different than other studios in respect to marketing, they have so much to choose from.

On the other hand, they're also masters at making money selling swag, toys, etc.. So Greed is good, and maybe at some point they will decide to release the streaming only stuff on physical media.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post

IMO Yes, it's safe to assume Mulan won't get a SteelBook.
    Disney+ is relatively new, and slightly different than other studios in respect to marketing, they have so much to choose from.

On the other hand, they're also masters at making money selling swag, toys, etc.. So Greed is good, and maybe at some point they will decide to release the streaming only stuff on physical media.

I am kind of questioning them being the masters at making money with all the rumours and hearsay concerning Disney and how this COVID-19 virus is effecting their company (parks, movie, television etc.). They may want to start selling whole lot of older movie on steelbook, swag, toys, etc.. Yes I agree greed is good but as the saying goes "they have their hand in many pots..."; but this is just my humble opinion and hopefully what I heard is wrong were they may pop back on top after this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Cull Obsidian View Post
    I am kind of questioning them being the masters at making money with all the rumours and hearsay concerning Disney and how this COVID-19 virus is effecting their company (parks, movie, television etc.). They may want to start selling whole lot of older movie on steelbook, swag, toys, etc.. Yes I agree greed is good but as the saying goes "they have their hand in many pots..."; but this is just my humble opinion and hopefully what I heard is wrong were they may pop back on top after this.
    There were unconfirmed rumours going around that Disney was ditching 4K and physical releases on its catalogue/Fox titles, and focusing on new stuff only for physical (with some animation?). I heard it second and third hand, but also heard the rumours were picking up steam. Hopefully they let someone like Shout or Arrow take over for the Fox stuff.

Credits

We need to understand that streaming competes with TV & Cable, not theatrical releases. Disney+ may offer some back titles from their "vault" and other previous theatrical releases for now, but until time that all of North America has High Speed Internet access, someone who spent thousands on a Home Theater wants more than the equivalent of a YouTube Video.

Fox always leased the rights for some of their back catalogue titles to interested parties, KL, Olive, Mill Creek among others, nothing new there. As for Disney, they know how to make money, and they took a serious hit with Covid which came only months after their purchase of Fox for 71.3B, that's got to hurt the bottom line.

Disney may decide to go the MOD way for many non-Fox titles that are not really top sellers, but IMO ditching 4K and physical media would be a disaster they can't afford right now.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post

We need to understand that streaming competes with TV & Cable, not theatrical releases. Disney+ may offer some back titles from their "vault" and other previous theatrical releases for now, but until time that all of North America has High Speed Internet access, someone who spent thousands on a Home Theater wants more than the equivalent of a YouTube Video.

Fox always leased the rights for some of their back catalogue titles to interested parties, KL, Olive, Mill Creek among others, nothing new there. As for Disney, they know how to make money, and they took a serious hit with Covid which came only months after their purchase of Fox for 71.3B, that's got to hurt the bottom line.

Disney may decide to go the MOD way for many non-Fox titles that are not really top sellers, but IMO ditching 4K and physical media would be a disaster they can't afford right now.

Mistake or not, it sounds like they are closing up shop for new 4K releases that aren't Marvel, Star Wars or animation related.
    https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/080720-1600

I still imagine we will see the bangers come out -- specifically James Cameron's films like Avatar and Aliens (which celebrates its 35th anniversary next year), and God willing, the long awaited True Lies and The Abyss re-releases. But considering how few 4K releases there have been of Disney films period, and Fox films since the merger, I'm tending to think that the boutiques are going to be the only option. Hopefully they'll lease them out for a more manageable price than they do for theatrical.

Credits

All I read in the article is based on rumours and so called "official sources," which simply means speculation, so until Disney management officially confirms it through a press release, your guess is as good as mine.

Personally, I don't care for 4K, and streaming 4K as I mentioned requires bandwidth. We saw at the beginning of the Covid lock-down Internet suppliers were throttling connections, just to maintain service, and we're not talking 4K either.

As it stands there are numerous delays, postponements and cancellations plaguing physical media, logistics is also inconsistent at this point. A direct result of the world trying to get back into a somewhat normal state of business, we won't know for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12