Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Talking Box office tells Hollywood to 'come clean'

Enjoy this moron christian article:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=30925

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Is Hollywood cleaning up its act?

It better, if it wants to please moviegoers. That's the message coming out of an analysis of the Top 10 grossing movies at the box office last year.

The annual study conducted by the Christian Film & Television Commission reveals the most popular movies in 2002 were among the cleanest.

Six of the Top 10, and four of the Top Five, contained no sexual immorality, and seven of the 10 were void of sexual nudity.

Only two of the Top 10 had sexual content rated "strong," "very strong" or "explicit."

The blockbusters predictably were packed with action violence, but none of the Top 10 contained any really graphic, gory violence.

Spider-man (Courtesy: Columbia Pictures)

Dr. Ted Baehr, chairman and founder of the commission released the results of the study in an editorial published by ASSIST News Service.

Baehr also publishes MOVIEGUIDE®, a Christian family magazine that seeks to redeem the values of Hollywood by keeping parents informed about latest trends in entertainment.

"The facts show that movies with moral principles, godly virtues, traditional values and positive Christian content do best at the box office," said Baehr.

In addtion to less sex and gore, the heavy hitters also cut down on alcohol, drugs and profanity.

The content analysis found all of the Top 10 films kept alcohol use to a minimum, and only one showed illegal drug use. Six included at least one scene where a character or characters smoked.

Six of the Top 10 also contained fewer than 10 obscenities or profanities, and only two had more than 25 obscenities or profanities throughout the film.

The most encouraging results, according to the commission, was that eight of the Top 10 movies – including the top grossing movie of the year, "Spider-man" – contained at least some positive Christian content. Four of the Top Five had strong moral and/or strong Christian content in them, including "Spider-man," "Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones," "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."

"Spider-man," released by Columbia Pictures, currently ranks fifth among the top grossing movies of all time, raking in $403.7 million.

Lord of the Rings: The Twin Towers (Courtesy: New Line)

"Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" currently ranks ninth, pulling in $316 million.

The box office appears to have been telling Hollywood to clean up its act for some time.

According to The Movie Times, the top 29 grossing movies of all time are rated G, PG or PG-13.

Overall, the commission rated six of the Top 10 flicks as "acceptable for families," with a caution for children age 7 to12 years.

Only two movies, "Austin Powers in Goldmember" and "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" were rated "completely unacceptable for any audience" by the commission. "Goldmember" was cited for its "sexual content, gross body humor and worldview." The commission took issue with the latest in the Harry Potter series for its "strong occult worldview and moral relativism."

Credits
    Religions don't like potter? what about this?
    Vatican Gives Two Thumbs Up to 'Potter'

"Spider-man" – contained at least some positive Christian content
    .... Aunt May finished her prayer?

Four of the Top Five had strong moral and/or strong Christian content in them, including "Spider-man," "Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones," "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."
    Star Wars - yeah. Missed that one. oh wait....maybe if you replace every mention of the word "Jedi" with "Christian" but then there is still a lot of killing

Lord of the Rings has the same kind of stuff that they "don't like" about harry potter. (Witchcraft, magic etc)

Movies with ratings like G and PG generally have more of a chance to get more money, as children are not restricted or discouranged from viewing them (in theaters at least)

Perhaps you just shouldn't rely on movies to teach your children good and evil - use them as entertainment rather then for their religous content.

Edit: Just noticed this:
    "Goldmember" was cited for its "sexual content, gross body humor and worldview."
    ....worldview? can someone explain what that is and why it is "bad"?

Credits
    maybe how the movie looked at Japan or The Netherlands in an unpleasant manner?

I'd like to see what they think after Matrix 2 &3 make obscene money this summer.

Actually, there is quasi-Christian content. The whole thing is rather allegorical.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits

Re: Box office tells Hollywood to 'come clean'

Originally posted by Equinox
    Enjoy this moron christian article:
    Ok first of all everyone here should know by now that I'm no prude... but you really shouldn't be calling people morons for wanting to help infuse good values into movies. That being said, this article contradicts itself. They found Harry Potter to be totally unacceptable because of the magic in it, but Star Wars was good?? I don't see how The Force can be a good thing and magic in Harry Potter is a bad thing? It's called FANTASY people... if "true" christians can't suspend disbelief and realize it's a story, there is something seriously wrong with them. If Kid's movies couldn't have magic in them, I dunno where we'd be... ridiculous. Maybe they're just angry that more kids are reading Harry Potter than the Bible.

Credits

Wink Re: Re: Box office tells Hollywood to 'come clean'

Originally posted by Mark Strube
    but you really shouldn't be calling people morons for wanting to help infuse good values into movies.
    I'm calling them morons because they are really morons.

Credits
    HEY !!! I am Christian and my first name is also Christian, you calling me a moraon? ....

The western movie world happens to be very Chistian in terms of values and themes. It has always been like that, it was even much more influencial before and until now it is still like that, but to a lesser degree.

I certainly agree that movies should not only provide entertainment value but also moral values. A story, novel or movie can never be blank in terms of the values it tries to show. And usually it takes sides in these themes. It would be very uninteresting if the plot of a movie has no underlying theme.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    I thought that society was based on Christianity values anyway...

... but I have to disagree with u there Tisoy. One of my fav movies is Leon which is complete dry in thought. ITs a type of movie that action, acting and attitude is what drives the whole enjoyment and followed experiences.
    Last edited by Kn'thrak; 02-09-2003 at 05:13 AM.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    HEY !!! I am Christian and my first name is also Christian, you calling me a moraon? ....

The western movie world happens to be very Chistian in terms of values and themes. It has always been like that, it was even much more influencial before and until now it is still like that, but to a lesser degree.

I certainly agree that movies should not only provide entertainment value but also moral values. A story, novel or movie can never be blank in terms of the values it tries to show. And usually it takes sides in these themes. It would be very uninteresting if the plot of a movie has no underlying theme.
    What about ENOUGH.

What were the stron christian values in that film?

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy

WorldNetDaily and it's brain addled flock of credulous simpletons want baby food for their eyes and ears, not films that challenge them or treat them as thinking human beings able to distinguish between reality and the pretty moving pictures and noises invading their senses with dirty, wicked and sinful thoughts. I hope that you are not one of these people who want G, PG, and PG-13 movies with plenty of hardcore religious imagery.

Credits
    I dunno bout that article.. when I saw the trailer for Time Changer i was convinced that Christian movies would be the next big thing... WoAH.. too much sarcasm there..

Young Lady you do realise stealing is a sin! ... Says Who?
    What a load of crap... a Rich Christiano film.. get real... I apologise to any of the Christians that post here.. I am not attacking your beliefs.. I am just saying that I don't like being preached to, I find it much more convincing when I actually see people living a certain way (the local priest getting pissed on the sacramental wine, is not a good way to preach)...

i do find it humourous that science has proven religion to be incorrect time and time again.. yet people still hold firms beliefs...
    noah's ark, adam and eve... wheres the proof?

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Originally posted by The Digital Rich

i do find it humourous that science has proven religion to be incorrect time and time again.. yet people still hold firms beliefs...
    Could you provide me with some examples then? Saying where's the proof does not disprove religion, it just shows that you don't believe it. I've looked into science when I was looking into religion and they have never proven religion wrong. Quite the opposite, whenever it has proven anything in this field it has proven itself wrong.

Credits
    Originally posted by The Digital Rich
    Let me start by saying it's always a mistake to start relgious or political debates in Forums, and if this thread gets nasty I'll have to close it.
    That being said, I'll give my thoughts... I think that there is no way science can disprove religion in any way, since religion bypasses science... it's not supposed to have anything to do with science... there is no way science could ever prove religion... it's all about faith.

Credits
    Originally posted by Mark Strube
    Let me start by saying it's always a mistake to start relgious or political debates in Forums, and if this thread gets nasty I'll have to close it.
    That being said, I'll give my thoughts... I think that there is no way science can disprove religion in any way, since religion bypasses science... it's not supposed to have anything to do with science... there is no way science could ever prove religion... it's all about faith.
    Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about. I've seen these threads started at Rotten Tomatoes all the time and if it were RL then people would probably end up getting killed.:big grin:

Credits
    Originally posted by moviebuff
    Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about. I've seen these threads started at Rotten Tomatoes all the time and if it were RL then people would probably end up getting killed.:big grin:
    Well put. Wars about science and religion always end up getting locked because there is no way to go about it without offending people.

that being said...

I think the specifics of most religions can be questionable. I say most because I don't study them and could be wrong. HOWEVER Every major religion I know of teaches peace and understanding somewhere in their book and really, there is no way to put a bad spin on that. No matter what ends up being said, I think that's the basic point that these books try to get across and that is often ignored when people fight over religion. Instead they argue over wether or not an ark was real or where we came from or whatever.

If hollywood can make a great film without sex or blood or language or the expression "God dammit!!!" then people will see it because it is good.

If hollywood can make a great movie with sex and blood and language then people will STILL see it - but less because kids will have to wait to rent it

Credits
    I have already received complaints about this thread, but I'm not locking or deleting it yet since it's simply contained opinion and nothing directly offensive. I am keeping an eye on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast