Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Pixar dumps Sun for Intel

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7690

my not interest some or most of you, but this is anyway a bit movie related.... =)

THE FIRM THAT made blockbuster films Toy Story and Monsters will say today it's dumping Sun Microsystem servers for Intel.
    Mike Kanellos at news.com reported the story late Friday although Pixar itself is expected to make a formal announcement later today, according to another US publication, the Wall Street Journal.

Out will go Sun servers and in will come blade servers from Racksaver – to the tune of 1,024 Intel 2.8GHz Xeons running the Linux operating system.

As news.com reports, there's symbolism here that Sun would do well not to ignore. Rather than use UltraSPARKY chips from McNealy's firm, it appears that rendering firms may use Intel-Linux solutions rather than Sun Slowaris and big tin that runs it.

Film studios, the same article points out, don't care about chip wars or about server wars – different worry lines crease their particular foreheads.

damn..... 1,024 CPU and Linux .. rulz...... nerd
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    bastards... i have to wait 2 hours for my computer to encode 10 minutes of video.. imagine...

imagine the network games you could play on those suckers

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Originally posted by The Digital Rich
    imagine the network games you could play on those suckers
    tsk tsk tsk... is that all you can think of? Playing games on a rendering farm?

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    My God! Just think! If it could be pulled off, 1,000 player matches of Battlefield 1942!

*drools
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Originally posted by editman
    tsk tsk tsk... is that all you can think of? Playing games on a rendering farm?
    not at all.. i would love to see the cards in solitaire fly past when you finish though

if a film studio can afford that sort of equipement you can only imagine what the governments of the world have stashed away somewhere.. ... my theory is that the pentagon is not really a centre for intelligence merely an elite network gamers hangout hehehe