Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Angry 20 British Soldiers dead...

and only 2 were in combat.

LONDON - Two British soldiers were killed in a "friendly fire" incident with a British tank near Basra in southern Iraq (news - web sites), a military commander said Tuesday.

The men died when their Challenger II tank was mistakenly targeted by another Challenger crew Monday evening, Col. Chris Vernon said in a Ministry of Defense statement. Two soldiers were seriously injured and have undergone surgery, Vernon said.

The Ministry of Defense identified the men killed as Corp. Stephen John Allbutt, of Stoke-on-Trent, and Trooper David Jeffrey Clarke, of Staffordshire.

"It is with regret that I have to announce the death of two soldiers of the Queen's Royal Lancers, part of the 1st Royal Regiment of Fusiliers battle group," Vernon said.

Their deaths bring to 20 the number of British servicemen killed since the start of the war on Iraq. Two soldiers were killed in combat — both near Az Zubayr, close to Basra. Sixteen soldiers died in two helicopter accidents and a "friendly fire" shooting.

"Regardless of the careful planning and measures taken in the type of operations in which we were engaged and in the heat of battle, there is always a risk that incidents such as this might happen," Vernon said.

The four-man tank crew was fighting Iraqi forces west of Basra when they were mistakenly targeted by another British tank, which fired a single round, according to a British Press Association report.

A Ministry of Defense spokeswoman declined to comment on that account.

The ministry also released the names of the two British soldiers who were killed in combat near Az Zubayr: Lance Cpl. Barry Stephen from Perth, Scotland, and Sgt. Steven Mark Roberts from Bradford in northern England.

The two men killed when their Tornado jet was brought down Sunday by a U.S. Patriot missile were identified as Flight Lt. Kevin Barry Main and Flight Lt. David Rhys Williams.

The three soldiers killed when two Royal Navy Sea King helicopters collided over the northern Gulf on Saturday were Lt. Antony King, Lt. Philip West and Lt. James Williams.

The ministry did not release the names of other British troops killed in action, at the request their of families.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...itish_soldiers

Credits
    that's sad.....
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    indeed sad,....

i rather die from the hands of the enemy than from a stupid accident or or friendly fire. There is more honor and dignity when you died fighting for a cause and defending it from the enemy.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    things like that make me sad, i feel sorry for them and their familes and friends - i hope those who sent them into this senceless war, have nightmares till they die!!!
    Last edited by guevara; 03-26-2003 at 05:33 PM.
    Sometimes a wind blows
    and the mysteries of Love
    come clear. -David Lynch

my top 20 movies