Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Family Slain at Checkpoint Sought safety

49 minutes ago

MIAMI - Surviving members of a family whose van was fired on by troops in Iraq (news - web sites) said they were traveling toward allied lines because they thought an air-dropped leaflet had advised them to flee for safety.

In a report published Wednesday in the Miami Herald and other Knight Ridder newspapers, Bakhat Hassan said American soldiers had waved his family's car through a checkpoint as they left their village Monday. But at the next checkpoint, the soldiers fired.

"We were thinking these Americans want us to be safe," Hassan, 35, said through a translator.

Hassan, interviewed Tuesday by a Knight Ridder correspondent at the Mobile Army Surgical Hospital near Najaf, said 11 members of his family were killed in the incident — his daughters, aged 2 and 5, his son, 3, his parents, two older brothers, their wives and two nieces, ages 12 and 15. His wife, Lamea, who is nine-months pregnant, said she saw her children die.

"I saw the heads of my two little girls come off," said Lamea Hassan, 36. "My girls — I watched their heads come off their bodies. My son is dead."

U.S. officials originally said seven were killed; reporters at the scene placed the death toll at 10. Hassan's father later died at the Army hospital. A brother who is being treated there may not survive, a doctor said.

Another brother, a sister-in-law and a 7-year-old child were released to bury the dead.

The soldiers who fired on the family were following orders not to let vehicles approach checkpoints, U.S. officials said. Troops in the area were on edge after an Iraqi army officer posing as a taxi driver killed four soldiers in a suicide attack Saturday.

The Hassans decided to make the journey after an American helicopter dropped fliers over their farming village that showed a drawing of a family sitting at a table, eating and smiling, with a message written in Arabic.

Sgt. 1st Class Stephen Furbush, an Army intelligence analyst, said the message read: "To be safe, stay put."

But Hassan said he and his father thought it just said, "Be safe." To them, that meant getting away from the helicopters firing rockets and missiles.

"A miscommunication with civilians," said an Army report written Monday night.

The family of 17 packed into its 1974 Land Rover. Hassan's father drove. In his 60s, he wore his best clothes for the trip through the American lines: a pinstriped suit.

"To look American," Hassan said.

They planned to go to Karbala. They stopped at an Army checkpoint on the northbound road near Sahara, about 25 miles south of Karbala, and were told to go on, Hassan said.

But "the Iraqi family misunderstood" what the soldiers were saying, Furbush said.

A few miles later, a Bradley Fighting Vehicle came into view. The family waved as it came closer. The soldiers opened fire.

Hassan remembers an Army medic at the scene of the killings speaking Arabic.

"He told us it was a mistake and the soldiers were sorry," Hassan said.

"They believed it was a van of suicide bombers," Furbush said.

Hassan and his wife were lying in cots next to each other in the green Army hospital tent. He had staples in his head. She had a mangled hand and shrapnel in her face and shoulder.

"It would be better not to have the baby," Lamea Hassan said. "Our lives are over."
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...=540&ncid=1480

Credits
    WAR FOR OIL - GODDAMN AMERICAN POLITICS
    Sometimes a wind blows
    and the mysteries of Love
    come clear. -David Lynch

my top 20 movies

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Unhappy

F the (US) ARMY !

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits

Angry

U know it's really tragic and I really would like this not to happen but how about my letter from 2 minutes after this happened:

Sgt. blank blank has waken up in the hospital and given this exclusive interview. He was hte only surviving member of a checkpoint at which 10 marines died when a van exploded in front of them. THe van was not stopping even though there were sign (yes in arabic) and tanks in front of them. In the fear that the van might be carrying women and children the soldiers hesitated to fire. Sgt. blank blank - I saw my best friends head blown off.

besides they read this in a leaflet!? Where the F*** did they find that leaflet? I wonder why there would be checpoints if anyone could leave? There's an arabic sign "US checkpoint stop ur vechicle or u'll be shot" so they are super smart and figure - that means go. "They thought they could go" either these people are incredibly stupid or had some reason not to stop (like smuggling weapons). WHen it comes to US lives vs. IRaqi lives I chose US, it's wartime, what did they expect - a welcome basket and first class tickets to HAwaii?

Credits
    FOrgot to add that already 4 Americans died become a suicide bomber blew himself up at a chechpoint.

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits
    Originally posted by Jak616
    FOrgot to add that already 4 Americans died become a suicide bomber blew himself up at a chechpoint.
    expect some/plenty more.
    (I) hope that US families/related will ACT somehow...

Credits

Credits
    It is unfortunate that those 11 people died. But they were victims of circumstance.

As far as I've seen, the soldiers responsible for firing did nothing wrong. They were executing orders meant for their own protection, and for the protection of everyone on their base.

One might make an analogy that letting everyone speed past US checkpoints would be like letting any commercial aircraft who refuses to make radio contact speed toward large buildings.

Heck, if I was Saddam, I would have sent a load of civilians at US checkpoints just to force massacres and gather support for Jihad. I'd made every 10th car or so a suicide bomber. He doesn't care about his people anyways.
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.