Credits

TALK Alfred Hitchcock

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Hitchcock,+Alfred

Date of birth (location)
    13 August 1899
    Leytonstone, London, England, UK
    Date of death (details)
    29 April 1980
    Los Angeles, California, USA. (renal failure)

Trade mark
    Has a cameo in most of his films.

Likes to insert shots of a woman's hairstyle, frequently close-ups. [hair]

Bathrooms are often a plot device; often a hiding place or a place where lovemaking is prepared for. Hitchcock also frequently uses the letters ``BM'', which stand for ``Bowel Movement''. [bathroom]

Often used the "wrong man" or "mistaken identity" theme in his movies.
    So who is Alfred Hitchcock to you?
    Do you like his movies?
    What is your favorite movie that he directed?

I like

Psycho (1960)
    &
    Vertigo (1958)

whats else is there to say, he is the master and the father of suspense
    Last edited by trailergod; 04-29-2003 at 02:13 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits
    >So who is Alfred Hitchcock to you?

Master of disguise, UPSSS, i mean horror

>Do you like his movies?

mostly, yes.

>What is your favorite movie that he directed?

i saw many AH movies, but can't remember them now (watched in my youth on TV), but mostly i remember BIRDS & PSYCHO

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    Alfred Hitchcock was the most well-known director to the general public, by virtue of both his many thrillers and his appearances on television in his own series from the mid-1950s through the early 1960s. Probably more than any other filmmaker, his name evokes instant expectations on the part of audiences -- they know to expect at least two or three great chills (and a few more good ones), some striking black comedy, and an eccentric characterization or two in every one of the director's movies.

Originally trained at a technical school, Hitchcock gravitated to movies through art courses and advertising, and by the mid-1920s he was making his first films. He had his first major success in 1926 with The Lodger, a thriller loosely based on the career of Jack the Ripper. While he worked in a multitude of genres over the next six years, he found his greatest acceptance working with thrillers. His early work in this genre, including Blackmail (1929) and Murder (1930), seem primitive by modern standards but have many of the essential elements of Hitchcock's subsequent successes, even if they are presented in technically rudimentary terms. Hitchcock came to international attention in the middle and late 1930s with The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), The 39 Steps (1935), and most notably, The Lady Vanishes (1938). By the end of the 1930s, having gone as far as the British film industry could take him, he signed a contract with David O. Selznick and came to America.

From the outset, with the multi-Oscar winning psychological chiller Rebecca (1940) and the topical anti-Nazi thrillers Foreign Correspondent (1940) and Saboteur (1942), Hitchcock was one of Hollywood's "money" directors whose mere presence on a marquee attracted audiences. Although his relationship with Selznick was stormy, , he created several fine and notable features while working for the producer, either directly for Selznick or on loan to RKO and Universal, including Spellbound (1945), probably the most romantic of Hitchcock's movies; Notorious (1946); and Shadow of a Doubt (1943), considered by many to be his most unsettling film.

In 1948, after leaving Selznick, Hitchcock went through a fallow period, in which he experimented with new techniques and made his first independent production, Rope, but he found little success. In the early and middle 1950s, he returned to form with the thrillers Strangers on a Train (1951), which was remade in 1987 by Danny DeVito as Throw Momma from the Train; Dial M for Murder (1954), which was among the few successful 3-D movies; and Rear Window (1954). By the mid-1950s, Hitchcock's persona became the basis for a television anthology series called Alfred Hitchcock Presents, which ran for eight seasons (although he only directed, or even participated as producer, in a mere handful of the shows). His films of the late 1950s became more personal and daring, particularly The Trouble With Harry (1955) and Vertigo (1958), in which the dark side of romantic obsession was explored in startling detail. Psycho (1960) was Hitchcock's great shock masterpiece, mostly for its haunting performances by Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins and its shower scene, and The Birds (1963) became the unintended forerunner to an onslaught of films about nature-gone-mad, and all were phenomenally popular -- The Birds, in particular, managed to set a new record for its first network television showing in the mid-1960s.

By then, however, Hitchcock's films had slipped seriously at the box office, and understandably so -- both Marnie (1964) and Torn Curtain (1966) suffered from major casting problems, and the script of Torn Curtain was terribly unfocused. He was also hurt by the sudden departure of composer Bernard Herrmann (who had scored all of Hitchcock's movies from 1957 onward) during the making of Torn Curtain, as Herrmann's music had become a key element of the success of Hitchcock's films. Of his final three movies, only Frenzy (1972), which marked his return to British thrillers after 30 years, was successful, although his last film, Family Plot (1976) has achieved some respect from cult audiences. In the early 1980s, several years after his death, Hitchcock's box office appeal was once again displayed with the re-release of Rope, The Trouble With Harry, the 1956 remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Vertigo, all of which had been withheld from distribution for several years, and which earned millions of dollars in new theatrical revenues. ~ Bruce Eder, All Movie Guide
    My favourite director, even though I think he's dissapeared from m y top 20 he's got more films in my top 50 than any one else. Vertigo is a masterpiece of how to craft a lot of suspense on very little, something Hitchcock was very good at and it's un likely Black Christmas would have been made were it not for the dareingness of Hitchcocks Psycho. Without Black Christmas Haloween would've had nothinbg to rip off so Hitchcock is one of the few people who can claim to have truly revolutionized cinema. To date I have only seen one Hitchcock film that I didn't love and that was the terminally boring "The Birds" but even that was better than it's sequel.

Credits
    I haven't seen many of his movies but I watched some of his shorts and they were really good. Saw the classics and liked them all especially Vertigo. Best SUSPENSE director ever

Credits

Re: TALK Alfred Hitchcock

So who is Alfred Hitchcock to you?

editman's mentor of dark humour

Do you like his movies?

You kidding? I think it's a crime that Movie-List hasn't featured any of his trailers!

What is your favorite movie that he directed?

Same as tisoy, Psycho & Vertigo. Plus Frenzy. Strangers on a Train and Notorious are also good for me.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    yup, its really a grave sin that no Hitchcock trailers are posted..... makes me really wonder sometimes why most people only now "modern pop corn movies"... even this forum has become waaaaay too much off topic.... thanks to JP we now have a movies General talk forums and away from the non sense spams....

Credits
    My Favorite Alfred Hitchcock Movie is
    "Rear Window" or in german
    Das Fenster zum Hof..
    I Was so happy when it comes to DVD....
    there is also a Making of ....
    You can see alfred acting and giving directions
    Pretty Cool......
    A MasterPiece....