Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    IMO they can never achieve human like movement by just using simple animation... they have to use other actors and capture their movement, like in LOTR Two Towers, the CGI there is more natural coz they used a real actor for the expressions and the movements...

which brings us back to the idea that CGI animation can never replace real actors coz evetuall u have to use "real actors" in order to mimic human movement

.............but once all major movements and facial expressions have been captured and stored, it wont be that hard to recycle the same movements, but by just using a different outer layer, plus they will act just how the director wants them to.......therefore in da future lead to perfect acting.......and seeing as movemnts will b re-used, the actors needed would only be a minority...

(but all this would only happen..if people gave CGI/animation the time of day)

Credits
    yeah but the problem with CGI and animation u dont have the "human" connection... real actors are real human beings and every actor, EVERY actor has their own style, personality, look, sound and emotion....

i mean when Sean Connery acts on screen, just from the sound of his voice and the look of his eyes and face u see confidence, class and wisdom, but if u have simply have a database of "acts" and put them to together... u simply end up with a frankenstein of an actor..

acting and actors are human beings that can emote and give a sense of reality to the screen (even when we know its all fake/acting)
    Acting is a talent that needs to be developed thru the years, and those actors who have great talent end up having a great star power or a "name"...

it would be a sad day if suddenly our actors are all fake/CG or done by machines....

we complain so much about current movies having so much useless CGI FX and then suddenly you guys want to live in a world where our treasured actors/actress are all machines?

and besides... i am not sick enough to have a hard on from a picture of an animated actress
    Last edited by trailergod; 07-17-2003 at 06:35 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    lol i dont get hard ons from that either LMAO

neways i agree...i dont want it to take over real acting.....just that sumtyms id like there to be a good alternative......many things have been sed to be impossible to do, but wiv good progression i believe that the cgi will improve loads....just needs to be given time...............(and we will always need voice actors....im sure sean connerys voice would b great to lisen to on an animated character, wid the right expressions)

i agree...i dont want em to take over real actors either....just that sumtyms directors have more flexibilty wid animated stuff, and sumtyms dat sort of vision is better potrayed in cgi animation......im sure we all just want a very good variety

IMO saying u cant compare human movies wid manga/animated movies.....is like saying u cant compare a Hollywood movie to a British/french./german/bollywood...(list goes on) movie....
    i believe...that aslong as the Genre is the same....u can compare em all!

Credits
    Nobody has said here that anime should replace live action. The point is that it doesn't have to. Movies are not mutually exclusive to one genre, they can survive based on multiple formats. Anime is another form of that, and yes animated films can contain REAL emotion. You refuse to acnolidge that because you don't like animated films. You can talk about how you enjoy such and such, but you automatically diregard something from a film list if it's animated. You may say that you liked the CGI in Final Fantasy, but the CGI is still the reason you dislike the film. You are against animated films by default, and while that is your choice, it doesn't mean everyone should think that way. In Toy Story there are some very emotional moments, likewise to Lilo and Stitch, Metropolis and others. I am not ashamed to say that as a child I cried when Bambi's mother died. Why? Because it was a very emotional moment, and even though it was an animated film with cute animals it was more emotional than most live action films I've seen. No matter how much he practises Keanu Reeves will never get that ammount of emotion, because there is more to being emotional in films than just being human. Movies are art, and the emotion is built up through a number of different levels, most of which animated films are able to be better at than live action.

BTW this is the last post in this thread by me. As usual I find that everyone understands the point at hand, even the none anime fans, except one. I learned a long time ago that this person can't be reasoned with. Once he has an opinion about something he stubbournly sticks to that belief, insisting himself to be right. (I mentioned no names so noone can take offense)

Credits
    LOL@ Carl... of course i stick to my opinion... are u trying to change mine? .. c'mon u ar talking as if i am wrong and my opinion does not matter...

are u even reading what i am posting? where did i say that i dont like anime at all? or that they are not movies... i simply made this thread title to have more replies...

i said it before CGI is a long way to being realistic and can never replace "real actors", but one day they it will be close...

i like anime and cartoons and CGI and animation, I never said in any thread that i dont like it !!!

simply because i dont like Final Fantasy .. u then assume that i dont like it for it being CGI ? .. Carl you assume too much about me..
    .. i dont like Final Fantasy because i find the story and the characters too cheesy... but as a demo for anime and CGI i like it very much, i even have the DVD as a demo for CGI, but the plot and the story simply did not click to me..

i liked anime before and still like them now... i watch all the 1980s Jap Classics before, My fav is the original MACROSS !!!, (also PLUS) i have most Disney DVDs, and i certainly enjoyed LILO and Stich which IMO is the best Disney movie since Lion King.

I cried when i watched LAND BEFORE TIME, when his mother died, I also cried in "An American Tail"... especially that song sequence... with.. "somewhere out there... ".. hehehe

i enjoy watching on TV, ASTROBOY, Voltes V, Voltron, (Lion and Cars), even most old classic 80s TV show and i plan to get them on DVDs.. and so many more Jap Animes...

i like anime(but not all certainly) but i dont put them on the same level as real movies.... u can read that on my 1st post !!!

btw... one of my favorite movies is actualy animation
    Last edited by trailergod; 07-17-2003 at 01:40 PM.

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    LOL@ Carl... of course i stick to my opinion... are u trying to change mine? .. c'mon u ar talking as if i am wrong and my opinion does not matter...
    Once again I find myself explaining myself. Nobody is refuting your opinion on disliking anime. I am saying that the statement "Anime are not real movies." goes beyond personal opinion. It's either a right statement or a wrong statement, and I think I've proven that it's a wrong statement. You are 100% allowed to dislike them if you want to, but you should still give them the recognition they deserve.

Credits
    I usually don't weigh in on these arguments, usually because I am on the losing side,
    but I feel this way:

1. Yes anime should be considered movies only just a style
    2. There are some good anime titles out there, you just have to sort through a bunch of junk to get there.

As for anime movies, no one tops Miyazaki's films. I have yet to see a bad one that has been directed by him.

Credits
    There are very good anime movies out there but they are ANIMATED MOVIES not real movies, regardless of how great they look or are written they don't reflect what a real person looks like, They don't show emotion like real movies do.

Im not arguing that Anime is bad but IMO ANIME ARE NOT MOVIES

Credits
    Yeah, I do enjoy a movie much more when I read teh book it's based on and true they're often different but consider some good movies- Fight Club, Requiem for a Dream, Saving Private Ryan, those movies had they been animated could not possibly have had the same impact, but I basically agree with everything you said above

Credits
    What seperates animated movies from most movies has been touched on. Many times in animated movie production, actors rarely are performing with anyone else. The come into the studio, perform a couple of lines, then leave. They have to act without baseing their actions of anyone else (anyone whose ever performed can understand the difficulty of solo work).

Because of the non-realistic nature of animation, a script and story become all the more important. I thought Cowboy Bebop was boring too. However, watch something like Last Exile (I know it's a TV miniseries, but it's an illustration), something that you really care what happens to the characters, and there's something hapening to keep it interesting. The Incredibles also is a good example.

Anime as opposed to animated movies are designed for Japanese Culture, and consequently some things won't work for global audiences. When the do hit those universals that's when anime truly shines.

As for the original question, are animated movies worthy of being called movies. Well to respond, don't forget about disney's "Beauty and The Beast". Wasn't that the only animated movie in history to be nominated for a Best Picture oscar?
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    There are very good anime movies out there but they are ANIMATED MOVIES not real movies, regardless of how great they look or are written they don't reflect what a real person looks like, They don't show emotion like real movies do.

Im not arguing that Anime is bad but IMO ANIME ARE NOT MOVIES
    Main Entry: mov·ie
    Pronunciation: 'mü-vE
    Function: noun
    Etymology: moving picture
    1 : MOTION PICTURE
    2 plural : a showing of a motion picture
    3 plural : the motion-picture medium or industry

There you go people, dictionary defenition of a movie. The point is that yes animated movies are ANIMATED movies, and yes live action movies are LIVE ACTION movies, but since both feature pictures that move then both are in fact REAL movies.

Credits
    if anime isent a movies, cuz of some silly "cant show emotion" crap, then of course we have to cuz Golum from lord of the rings, as hes not "real". and we should discard any actror/acress with much plastic surgery?
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12