Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

anime are not movies?

ok, had a long talk with Carl, .. i just had to make this thread title to get more people to reply maybe...

i want to know what people think about this issue...

are anime or even animated movies comparable to real movies with real actors ?

can animation have the same effect or impact of real facial expressions/body language/emotions of real actors?

IMO... yes they are movies.. but

we cant really compare them, its like comparing apples and oranges..
    Last edited by trailergod; 07-15-2003 at 05:23 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Yes they can. Metroplois was a film that nearly made me cry for it's main character, thanks largely to the girls facial exressions. That wide eyed innocence, the looks of horror, mysery and even joy. The facial expressions come as part of the animators acting and it needs to be a successfull combination of a good animator and good voice actors.

Ghost In The Shell
    Metropolis
    even Toy Story
    work as emotional films, and to lessen their importance purely because they are animated is close minded. Anime is a legitimate form of film, it's every bit as important as live action. Works on mostly the same levels, as well as a few area's of it's own.

Credits
    Well, i haven't always been too fond of anime movies... the last I saw was Cowboy Bebop and I fell asleep halfway into the movie... It felt like I was watching a TV show... When I watch anime actors, i don't really feel anything for them... They don't have as much of a wider range of emotions as a real actor does. I often confuse the facial expressions of anime actors with the wrong emotions attached. I guess anime could be classified as a movie but not to be compared with movies as Tisoy says. It's almost like a different form of movies. Anime is just not my thing...
    "In case I don't see you--good afternoon, good evening and good night." -The Truman Show

Credits
    Originally posted by chizzace
    I guess anime could be classified as a movie but not to be compared with movies as Tisoy says. It's almost like a different form of movies. Anime is just not my thing...
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Not connecting with the medium is one thing, but to claim that it can't be compared with movies is a different matter. I haven't seen the Cowboy Bebop movie, but it was based on a TV show, again not one I'm familiar with, which could explain why it felt like a TV show. Other anime will no doubt have better animations, such as Metropolis or Ghost In The Shell. Again you may not be able to relate to the films, which is just your taste, but can anybody seriously watch the 2 I mentioned and say they can not compare to a movie. There is so much more to emotion in a film than just the actors. That's why movies are an artform, because cinematography, writing and soundtrack are all combined with the acting in a live action movie. They are also combined in anime, and cinematography is arguably better thanks to the lack of restrictions the medium offers. The soundtrack and writing still work, as does voice acting and animation for facial expressions.

BTW Tisoy, I promise you that Metropolis has more emotion than Charlies Angels Full Throttle.

On a final note, do people consider comedies as to be not movies? A movie like Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid can not be compared to Schindlers List because they're different. Does that make BCSK less of a movie? I hope not because it's one of my favourites.
    If we downgrade anime for that reason though we need to downgrade every film ever made. We should not be making top 20 lists because no 2 films are the same. How can we list the films unless it's the same film 20 times? All films have differences, all good films at least, and anime is just another way of making a film.

Credits
    My say on this topic is that animes are a different style of movies. Thats all. They r classified as movies but are made differently. Thats all. Anime movies have all the elements of a live action movie. The only difference is that anime is done by computer and hand & live action is all live action shot.

Don't be confused as well that anime is Animation of all types. Shrek, Final Fantasy, Sinbad are anime as well. I think you people are getting confused or talking about Japanime which is the genre of Japanese Animation. Still in the catagory of anime but more specifically japanime.

What is so special about anime? Personally, I don't enjoy anime that much but there are the exceptions. Its those exceptions that make anime "anime". Anime are forms of entertainment that live action movies can not produce 100% or for tell the story or message that needs to be told. The imaginary style of japanime/anime compare to live action has such a broad & wide line between them that makes anime special. Its that special element that ppl enjoy. Live Action movies try to move towards "style" but still doesn't look right (graphics to story wise)

Overall... Yes. Anime are movies. Just that anime covers T.V. series as well. More and more anime is being made for the U.S.A. Animatrix for one. More anime is being made with english dubs while in production and not by demand.

Hope this clears or opens people thoughts or opinions on the topic.

Credits
    i'm sorry to say, but anime bores me

yah and jaws the revenge doesn't! i know i'm a freak!!! :big grin:
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Animation has always been no different from live action to me. (If something is well animated and well voice acted)
    Of course it's a movie if it's animated.

I know there are people that think less of cartoons or classify them as "kids stuff" right away. So I did an experiment. I rented the Cowboy Bebop movie the day it came out (which just hit home with me. I loved it almost as much as the show. The style, the music, the script....I loved it.)

After watching it subed I switch it to dubbed and just tell my step dad "I rented a movie. It's about bounty hunters in space in the future and a terrorist sets off a bio-hazardous explosion."

he says "sounds cool"

I fire it up. 5 seconds later "hey wait a second this is a cartoon!!"
    I said yeah....he says "I don't wanna watch a cartoon!"

I tell him to give it a few minuites. I think all I got him to admit was that "It wasn't for kids" and I think he ended up watching half of it.

There are different ways to make a movie. Black and white, colour, subbed, dubbed, silent, 35mm, digital, edited with razors and tape, tons of special effects, computer animated, stop motion animated, traditionally animated....a mix of any or all of the above.

They're all movies. motion picture to tell a story, true or fiction, to an audience

Credits
    im with carl on this one. Emotions can be shown, very well aswell. But its the animators instead of actors that prvide it (combined with the director in both cases). CGI the combo, even though i feel its really closer to animation than actors, even when u use motion capure. Look at Golum, good example, the Hulk aswell.
    And regualar paintings, well done and u can for sure see emotions of those painted.

But i know that anime and cartoons is not for everyone, so i think its more that which is the problem, not the lack of ability to show emotion. Some ppl just don't like animated stuff.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Of course animes are movies.

Counting it out on the basis that it has less if not non emotional impact on audiences is like counting out all those Troma horror 'trashes', and all those indie schlock blood-and-gore 'crap' (which Forum members keep posting trailers of these titles).

While we are at it, I reckon we should be discussing whether shorts or features shot on video (be it digital, Beta or V.H.S.!) should be considered as films...

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Thumbs up

I like some anime movies, but not seen many of them so far, but "Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi)" was absolutely beautiful amazing (read: just love background pictures).

I got in mind to see more ANIME MOVIES soon.

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    personally i believe that yes! Anime are movies!! there no way different....just that they are hardly given the chance!
    but i also believe that many Anime movies are overrated, if i wasnt surrounded wid all the hype...i think i woulda enjoyed em much much more.........i believe that acting of cartoons can b great aswell, for example look at all the facial expressions in Final Fantasy......absolutely wiked....and 1 manga that i totally love hasnt been seen by many....but i reccomend it to all of yah manga lovers, its a 3 part story called Cyber City OEDO, about 3 ex-convicts who are given the chance of freedom in return of doing all the dirty hard work the other cops wont touch! the character devolopment in this is absolutely great!, each part is an 1 and all 3 parts focus on all 3 characters sepretely.... really good...and so is the cinematography shots of it....all da right camera directions......well drawn from the perfect perspective

neways back to the subject, i definetly believe tht cartoons/anime/manga/cgi are all just different ways of potraying a movie, that need to be given a chance, and not be treated unfairly.........

Credits
    Originally posted by aS!Dz
    but i also believe that many Anime movies are overrated,
    If someone will see a movie "just because it's anime" they have some screws loose.

But I think the same goes for someone who will avoid a movie because "it's a cartoon"

And that doesn't just go for japanese cartoons or anime here. All things animated

Credits
    Originally posted by Marcus
    If someone will see a movie "just because it's anime" they have some screws loose.

But I think the same goes for someone who will avoid a movie because "it's a cartoon"

yup i share the same view

Credits
    Who sed that Animation had no way of expression at all?? this picture says alot of things to me :big grin:

Last edited by aS!Dz; 07-17-2003 at 04:29 AM.

Credits
    i dunno... FF .. is still a looong way from being "realistic"

everything below the shoulders looks stiff and unnatural,

IMO they can never achieve human like movement by just using simple animation... they have to use other actors and capture their movement, like in LOTR Two Towers, the CGI there is more natural coz they used a real actor for the expressions and the movements...

which brings us back to the idea that CGI animation can never replace real actors coz evetuall u have to use "real actors" in order to mimic human movement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast