Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Decade Under the Influence

I was reading an article about this documentary playing on the Independent Film Channel. It's about the films and filmakers of the 70s and how they influenced the decade and the future of filmaking. It reminded me of the first time I saw Taxi Driver in the theatres, such a good movie. They don't make movies like thay anymore.
    This should be a good doc. to catch.

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Arrow

seems interesting yes

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0342275

trailer (WMV & RM) here :
    http://us.imdb.com/Trailers?0342275

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    nice.

Its been so long since I've seen an actual documentary (rather than a mockumentary) that I've almost forgotten the difference.

This once sounds very cool. I feel like I'm kind of lacking in my 70s Cinema knowledge so this'll be a great Cliff's Notes for me.

looks like there are a ton of good directors in interviews for this.

When does IFC air it?

Credits
    It's airing from August 20th until the 23rd, I think it's going to air like a series, so one piece each night.
    Should be really interesting, have to remember to set the tivo for this one!

Credits
    excellent. I just checked the listing online and it looks like they're airing a 70s movie after each installment of the documentary. The first one is Mean Streets. I think I'll definitely be checking this out.

Credits
    Hey everyone! I am really pumped for "A Decade Under the Influence" to start tonight. I think its going to be real interesting to see directors interviewing other directors and actors talking to other actors and so on. I think it should give a good inside look at movies during the 70s. Here is a little summary I found on another website:

The 1970s was an extraordinary time of rebellion, of questioning every accepted idea: political activism, hedonism, protests, the sexual revolution, the women's movement, the civil rights movement, the music revolution, rage and liberation. Every standard by which we set our social and cultural clocks was either turned inside out or thrown away completely and reinvented. For American cinema, the 1970s was an era during which a new generation of filmmakers created work for a new kind of audience -- moviegoers who were hungry for stories that reflected their own experiences and who were turning their backs on aged old studio formulas. As a result, emerging filmmakers influenced by foreign directors such as Godard, Kurasowa and Fellini coupled with the social climate and a struggling studio system, converged to create a new kind of moviemaking. "There was a disparity between a conventional view of the country and what the filmmakers felt the country was about…and I think there was an audience for that disparate view," says writer/director Robert Towne in his interview. Through their choice of material, filmmakers such as Martin Scorsese, Robert Altman, Peter Bogdonovich, William Friedkin, Roger Corman and Paul Schrader revolutionized mainstream movies and for the first time personal visions were coming out of the studio system.