Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Discuss Unbreakable.

Unbreakable is a masterpiece. I just watched the DVD last night ( I had seen it before) and was absolutely hooked. The visuals are amazing. No special effects but amazing camera work, and some very subtle emotional moments.

The score helped the visuals out no end with some more subtlety that avoided the sort of Rock music a comic book movie would usually go for, and the writing was fantastic. Strong believable characters who react in the ways that people would. Plus it had an amazing twist but a story so good it was still an excellant movie in it's own right, and truly original. It remade the way we expect superhero movies and will probably remain a once in a lifetime opotunity to see.

As for M nights other films I rate Signs ***** but didn't like the ending.
    Sixth Sense **** Great first time, but once you know the story it's not very effective. Except the girl in the tent who gives me a heart attack every time.

Credits
    Sixth Sense had a strong use of colour (red)

Unbreakable does the same thing...with a few colours I believe (it's been a while since I've seen it) But it was amazing. Not only the story and the characters...but the little things...

Do you see any Teletubbies in here? Do you see a slender plastic tag clipped to my shirt with my name printed on it? Do you see a little Asian child with a blank expression on his face sitting outside on a mechanical helicopter that shakes when you put quarters in it? No? Well, that's what you see at a toy store. And you must think you're in a toy store, because you're here shopping for an infant named Jeb.
    (talking about his comic book art store)

I loved that line because all too often, especially in North America, you will see people who connect "comics/cartoons" with "kids" without a second thought.

The entire comic book framework was very good. I loved this movie.
    Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it.
    And...at the beginning....which can be taken 2 ways at least...
    (Elijah's Mom)
    They say this one has a surprise ending.
    Last edited by Marcus; 05-18-2003 at 07:13 PM.

Credits
    unbreakable is great. my favorite shyamalan flick. so underrated, but it's better then sixth sense or signs. i liked signs alot too though.

Credits
    I haven't seen it yet...

Credits
    Originally posted by lafce
    I haven't seen it yet...
    seriously now, this movie is one of the most underrated movies i have seen. The camera work, sound design, movie score are all great. Some great use of camera work is used in this movie, the blueish HUE used in this movie is simply great. IMO this is the best superhero movie i have seen, it deals with human emotions/family/relationships is a very real way..... and that twist in the ending

i simply love the idea of a movie where u get to see the start of a superhero....
    Last edited by trailergod; 05-19-2003 at 06:05 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Oh and I forgot to mention what a brilliant choice his weakness was. Made the character so much more relatable when he had a human weakness such as needing Oxygen, as opposed to a green lump of Kryptonite.

Credits
    I love how Unbreakable is a superhero movie without ever saying the word Superhero

Credits

Thumbs up

M. Night Shyamalan is one of my favourite directors .. his work is always so unique. IMO he's a masterful story teller and the way he always builds in a twist .. I just love it! Remember when you watched Sixth Sense the first time .. whoa .. I just about fell outta my seat! Unbreakable is an awesome and very original take on a superhero story .. I really liked the scene in the kitchen over breakfast right at the end .. priceless!

Interesting that he was only 29 when he did Unbreakable! Also very cool is that he closed his Signs deal without ever showing Disney the script! I absolutely cannot wait for his next film .. anyone heard what he might be working on?!
    "It used to be said that we are what we eat... And then people maybe... a little more fashion conscious would say... 'No, you are what you wear'... Or you are what you read... But we would say in this millenium... You are what you watch..." Peter Gabriel - Growing Up

Credits
    Just saw 'Unbreakable'. I like it very much, it's really a great movie as you all said. I can't believe it took me 3 years to finally decide to see it. If I only knew it's this good...

I only have one Q: why didn't David have visions (when he touches someone) before in his life? I mean how can it be explained...

Credits
    Originally posted by lafce
    I only have one Q: why didn't David have visions (when he touches someone) before in his life? I mean how can it be explained...
    You mean like at the ball park, when he saw the gun?

He did have them before, but he never payed any attention to them in the same way he never payed any attention to not being sick before.

Credits
    As it was said in Lewis Caroll's Alice In Wonderland:

"...When suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her. There was nothing so very remarkable in that; nor did Alice think it so very much out of the way to hear the Rabbit say to itself, `Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!' (when she thought it over afterwards, it occurred to her that she ought to have wondered at this, but at the time it all seemed quite natural); but when the Rabbit actually took a watch out of its waistcoat-pocket, and looked at it, and then hurried on, Alice started to her feet, for it flashed across her mind that she had never before seen a rabbit with either a waistcoat-pocket, or a watch to take out of it, and burning with curiosity, she ran across the field after it."

Credits
    Nice...

Credits
    I enjoy every part of this movie, except for a scene with the son, and Bruce's character. The scene is the one were the two sit at the kitchen table and exchange a very forced felling "emotional" scene (the one were Bruce's character slides the newspaper to the boy). It felt like it was trying to match scene with Cole, and his mother in "The Sixth Sense" where they were in the car. I actually dread that scene.

"Black Mamba, I shoulda been motherfu*kin Black Mamba!" - Vernita Green