Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    I wholeheartedly agree with Carl on this one. I have no respect for any loser who downloads an entire film and never once pays to see it. There are more than the actors and teh directors that get paid to make movies. Pirating affects A LOT of people, especially lighting and set crew. These are people who work VERY F-ing hard on films so that you get to have a good time. Every film is not always going to be the best, but that doesn't give ANYONE the right to see it for free.

IF I HEAR ANYONE talking about how they DOWNLOAD instead of buying DVDs or going to the theater, I will treat you with the exact same respect that I would ANY OTHER THEIF!
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    Originally posted by Dr.FrankNFurter
    Hmmm we have christmas. Newyears, Easter (or how its spelled in english) and thats about it.... that is i might add the only 3 big holidays we have... so its almost 100% the same...

Some even have thanksgeving....

Fed7haS
    Oh, my GOD.

You have zero idea how American film marketing works. There are SO many more holidays than this.

Just off the top of my head: Memorial Day, Presidents Day, Veteran's Day (still considered in marketing), Labor Day.

We don't market films for New Year's, either.

It's not almost 100% the same.

Plus, most American films are eventually bought by other studios for international release (i.e. Warner Brothers in US and Sony for international). This often takes some time as the studios go into bidding wars.

If you ask: Well, why don't they just release them both ino the US and internationally through the same studio??

ANSWER: It costs a hell of a lot of money to do that and only films that are almost guaranteed to make a great return will studios take that risk. (i.e. Warner Brothers and The MATRIX REVOLUTION)

That is why it takes a while for American films to get there. It takes a while for overseas films to get here, too! Like I've been waiting for a long time to see Austrailia's UNDEAD but it just recently got purchased by the American company, Lions Gate, for US distribution rights. So, now, I will be able to see it whenever LG decides to release UNDEAD in American theaters.

There ya go!

Credits
    Yeah, I think The Rundown was changed due to it being distributed by Sony/Columbia rather than U.I.P./Universal. However, the majority of films here have the same distrubtor as they did in the US. The only big film company that never distrubutes internationally is Lion's Gate, who haven't developed internationally, and thereby having their films distrubuted by various UK based distrubtion companies (Momentum, Redbus, Optimum to name a few).
    Last edited by I Got Trailers; 11-01-2003 at 10:04 AM.

Credits
    UPDATE: The Rundown has been pushed back one week. No biggy. Except the DVD in the US comes out the same week. As if that weren't bad enough, The Rundown was submitted under the US title and got a 15. Then it was resubmitted under the international title "Welcome To The Jungle". It appears that distrubtor Columbia Tristar had cut 2 minutes of violence to get a 12A, before they resubmitted it to the BBFC. I will order R1 and I will see it in the cinema. Dunno why. I just want to. May let it sink in. THEY CUT 2 FRIGGIN' MINUTES! THAT'S ALOT!
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...7?OpenDocument

Credits
    Originally posted by I Got Trailers
    UPDATE: The Rundown has been pushed back one week. No biggy. Except the DVD in the US comes out the same week. As if that weren't bad enough, The Rundown was submitted under the US title and got a 15. Then it was resubmitted under the international title "Welcome To The Jungle". It appears that distrubtor Columbia Tristar had cut 2 minutes of violence to get a 12A, before they resubmitted it to the BBFC. I will order R1 and I will see it in the cinema. Dunno why. I just want to. May let it sink in. THEY CUT 2 FRIGGIN' MINUTES! THAT'S ALOT!
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...7?OpenDocument
    It's not a lot, the damn film is likely to be what, 90 minutes t least? Big deal if it's only 88 minutes, it's called marketing. 15 is a high rating for a film like Rundown, Welcome To The Jungle, Whatever, which is designed to appeal to Teenagers. By submitting it as a 15 they are basically halving their audience, but by cutting 2 minutes they have gone and made the film available to the very npeople it was designed for, and all they have lost is maybe a headbutt here and there. I've said it before, headbutts are not major plot devices, they are not deeply artistic moves used for a directors vision. They are merely moves used in fight scenes and are thus expendable, even to the director who made the film for money, not for a few measly headbutts (or whatever was cut)

Credits
    I have no problem with cutting except that it leaves things jumping all over the place (see the TMNT, to see how censorship an go ga-ga in a second). Two minutes is alot by censorship standards (most often it's only 10 secs). I'm still wondering what CT are playing at. They release it days after the US DVD release and then snip it to pieces. That's bad marketing sense. Espically as were're the second-to-last country to get it (the last is Argentina) and people have been getting pirates from car boots (I don't support this practice. Besides DVDs are so good, who needs a bare-bones pirate?). I do agree that 15 is quite strong for a movie like this, but I rather have an uncut version than something a person with iMovie whipped up in 10 minutes. Although it could be argued that T3 was given a soft touch. But the BBFC say it's got redeming factor: it's fantastical. Well, that explains how a fit being punching through a person's stomach get a 12A. Back, on topic, I will see it cinemas. I will then open my US DVD a watch the unedited marvel.

Credits
    Originally posted by I Got Trailers
    That's bad marketing sense.
    It is not bad marketing sense. Where do you get these ideas from. Doing something that makes you more money is very good marketing sense, doing something that limits your market is bad marketing sense, so the makers have agreed to cut 2 minutes, and it'll probably be intermittent cuts that you would not notice if it weren't for the fact that you scour the internet to find what stuff has been cut, and while you now are unhappy with that desisiob, the vast majority of the films core market are very happy because they get to see it on a big screen, which, you know, is good marketing.

Once again, there is no <b>censorship</b> involved. Censorship is when a studio is forced to get their film edited, or it gets banned. Censorship is not when a film is deemed innapropriate for children below a certain age, but the studios are informed as to what content is innapropriate so thet <b>they</b> can decide whether they want a little of the irrelavant content, or if they want a rating suibtable for their target audience.

The way you are going on you'd think we had it so bad in Britain, we don't. It's not like in Germany where they cut the spider scene from Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, which was, you know an entire scene and one of the most important scenes to the entire plot. It wasn't censorship, but it was extremely bad cutting, that would warrant making a song and dance over. However until the day that they decide to cut the gross stuff out of a film like Requim For A Dream then you have nothing to complain about the loss of a few headbutts for the sake of good marketing.

Credits
    Originally posted by carl
    The way you are going on you'd think we had it so bad in Britain, we don't. It's not like in Germany where they cut the spider scene from Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, which was, you know an entire scene and one of the most important scenes to the entire plot. It wasn't censorship, but it was extremely bad cutting, that would warrant making a song and dance over.
    Having never read or seen Potter, I wouldn't know (personally, I hated the first book). I am aware of the German censorship as well: Commando and Bad Boys 2. They are more sensitive with violence than ours. Here's what offends each censor group:
    MPAA: Sex (Oh no! The S-word!)
    BBFC: Animal abuse
    Germany: Violence
    Oh, and BTW, I'm importing Rundown. I may been angry but I think that may be we've waited so long the US are already getting their DVD. Just my temper boils when I've been excited for a year.

Credits
    if the UK is second best why then does it have Donnie Darko: Directors Cut available to buy on dvd before the equivilant is available in the US??

Credits
    This thread was mainly created by me in an angry rage. Since I have posted it, yes, the UK has got films first: Saw, for instance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123