Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

[- NEWS -] Sony to ship blue laser storage

Aimed at the kind of high-end storage applications traditionally delivered by 5.25in, 9.1GB Magneto Optical (MO) discs, the Professional Disc for Data (PDD) - as Sony is now calling it - was launched last April.

The multi-layer 4.7in discs are fixed inside cartridges. Instead of the red lasers used to read not only MO discs, but CDs and DVDs, PDD uses blue laser light which can be focused on a smaller area of the disc's surface, thus increasing the medium's data density and thus its overall capacity.

Sony said it will offer an internal PDD drive, the BW-F101, capable of using both recordable and re-writeable PDD media. As per Sony's April launch, the drive will cost around $3300, with discs coming in at $45 for 'PDD-R' and $50 for 'PDD-RW'.

Sony is already planning a second-generation machine that ups the capacity to 50GB. Alas we'll have to wait to 2005 for it. A third-generation unit, due some years down the line, will double capacity and throughput again, to 100GB and 36MBps, respectively, Sony said.

The Register
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Floppies are certainly absolute
    It is not enough 'I succeed'. Everyone else must fail.

Credits
    goodo just in time.. cause i hear cd-r's are unreliable.. whcih means ill be able to back all mine up on a new super cd... hehe... and hopefully by the time they become redundant.. a new new superdisk will be out

one thing though if these are fixed in cartridges.. then shouldn't they be spelt "disk" not "disc" ??? we have always had floppy disk's and hard disk drives.. but a cd has always been disc... ?? but the thin magnetic film in a disk is technically a disc... ?? anyone confused.. or wanna even try working it out

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    PDD or P-Diddy? :big grin: