Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Robert Duvall slams Spielberg

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

Robert Duvall slams Spielberg

'I'll never work at DreamWorks again'

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Actor Robert Duvall probably won't be making any movies for DreamWorks any time soon.

In a CBS "60 Minutes II" interview set for broadcast Wednesday, the Oscar-winning performer sharply criticized filmmaker and DreamWorks SKG studio co-founder Steven Spielberg for visiting Cuba in November 2002.

"Spielberg went down there recently and said, 'The best seven hours I ever spent was actually with Fidel Castro.' Now, what I want to ask him, ... 'Would you consider building a little annex on the Holocaust museum, or at least across the street, to honor the dead Cubans that Castro killed.' That's very presumptuous of him to go there," Duvall told Charlie Rose, according to excerpts of the interview released by CBS.

The actor, who won an Academy Award for his role in the 1983 film "Tender Mercies," added, "I'll never work at DreamWorks again, but I don't care about working there anyway."

Spielberg's spokesman, Marvin Levy, responded by issuing a statement saying the remark Duvall attributed to the director about his meeting with Castro is "totally false."

"He never said it, or anything like it," Levy said, adding Spielberg's trip to the Communist-ruled island had been authorized as a cultural exchange by the U.S. government.

Spielberg spent four days in Cuba, launching a showcase of eight of his movies, meeting with Cuban filmmakers and paying visits to Havana's largest synagogue and a memorial to Holocaust victims at the city's Jewish cemetery.

The Oscar-winning director of "Saving Private Ryan" and "Schindler's List" also dined with Fidel Castro, spending about eight hours with the Cuban leader discussing art, politics and history.

During his trip, Spielberg made headlines by calling for an end to the 40-year-old U.S. trade embargo against Cuba, saying it was time to bury old grudges from the Cold War and expand interactions between Americans and Cubans.
    Last edited by chernabog_ca; 01-12-2004 at 07:03 PM.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    Duvall he's always bitching everything.. like this one time when he said that doing movies in Canada sucks...bastard

Credits
    exaclty... I couldn't care less what Robert Duvall thinks. But, I kinda hope the US doesn't reconcile with Cuba, if only because it's nice to have a place in the Caribbean that is completely devoid of US influences. No offence, guys, but it's nice to get away sometimes.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Didn't know he was so dumb

...he probably supports Bush also; birds of a feather, flock together. lol
    Last edited by Borgtex; 01-13-2004 at 05:21 AM.

Credits
    Misquoting Spielberg is probably not the smartest thing to do, but you have to admire the guy to doing what he thinks is right.

I think this approach is much more respectable then, say Sean Penn's. Penn took a political stance and then fabricated stories about how his stance made him lose potential jobs. Boo hoo, Sean. You lost a role and had to make Mystic River and get tons of critical acclaim instead. What a weenie.

It's nice to see a non-politician call attention to Castro's facist regime. Seems like people forget that Castro has used his power to kill those who oppose him. Even the most ardent Bush-haters wouldn't say that Bush actively kills those who oppose him--that's true evil.

I'd work with Spielberg, if given the chance, so I respect someone who's willing to stick tough to his beliefs.
    "34 million American adults are obese. Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two-fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind it is a very big canyon."

Credits
    Um, if I'm not mistaken, Sean Penn actually DID lose roles, and if you want to look at other examples, the boycotts on the West Wing and Tim Robbins/Susan Sarandon being refused the chance to speak at charity benefits work just as well.

Don't get me wrong, Castro has done some bad stuff. But Cuba has the best public health care system in the world, their people are happy and friendly, and they're humble. But because they practice communism and have the strength to stand up to the US, Castro's branded as the next worst thing to Saddam.