Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

BAD NEWS : Microsoft partners with Disney!

Before I start quoting, I will explain something called DRM for those who didn't hear about it.

DRM, or Digital Rights Managment, is a subsidary of Microsoft's Windows Media technologies. It allows content providers to issue signed certificates, or licenses, to clients (users like us). These licenses describe how we are allowed to watch the film, in many terms, more importantly how many times and for how long.

Microsoft has been pushing this thing. And you might have seen it recently in ATOM-Films' High Definition short films. Were you're allowed to playback a downloaded film for 2 weeks only, and then it will be automatically deleted.

Now, here we go with the news...
    Microsoft Corp. and the Walt Disney Co. have announced a multiyear deal to work on better protecting media content, and for Disney to license the Windows Media Digital Rights Management (DRM) software. The deal is seen by some industry watchers as a wake-up call to Apple that a format war is under way, and that it must seriously consider licensing its DRM technology to stay competitive with Microsoft.
    Apple Computer - one of Microsoft's biggest rivals in media technology - has been the recipient of the Disney/Pixar partnership until now by being the first to release movie trailers and other promotional material from Disney films. That relationship will come to an end, at least with Disney, in two years. It is not known if Disney will cease to release future content in Apple's QuickTime format, but industry watchers believe it is a safe bet Windows Media will be the exclusive format of future Disney releases.
    For Apple, the alliance between Disney and Microsoft is not good news. Analysts believe the Disney/Microsoft pact as a clear signal that a format war in both the audio and video arenas is under way. The key, analysts believe, is that Apple must now form similar relationships with other content makers and also reconsider licensing its DRM technology, know as FairPlay, for use in both audio and video.
    Building the technology is only half the story, however; companies like Microsoft must also forms alliances with content makers like Disney to insure its technology is being used and seen by the public. A similar deal to the Disney agreement was forged between Microsoft and Time Warner last May. Under that arrangement, which was part of a US$750 million settlement between Microsoft and Time Warner's America Online business, Time Warner agreed to work with Microsoft to promote the creation and distribution of digital content from its Warner Brothers film studio. In another example, five films were shown at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival in January using Microsoft's Windows Media 9 Series technology.
    http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/02/09.10.shtml

Credits
    really?

i really dont find anything bad with it, MS simply has this tech present, but the option to activate it or not depends on the content provider and not MS, so basically its on Disney if they want this DRM activated or not.

for me i really dont see any big deal with DRM
    i have the T2 extreme edition HD WMV9 with DRM for only 5 days and only playable in USA, eventhough i live in Europe i was able to find ways to playit back without anyproblems... via proxies and software hacks..
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    i love quicktime.. nothing compares at present... here are the pros:
    Direct Linkable.. save direct to HDD
    Excellent Quality
    Quicktime Player is solid and generally non-buggy.

What does WMP lack... most of that.. chris says the quality is good and i will take his word on that.. but as for windows media player, its bloated and crashes all the time. And media files from micrsoft are usually STREAMING.. and we all know how **** that is...

need i bring up the Lord of the Rings trailer, that was originally released in Real Media.. pfft.. we all know how well that went down.

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    with DRM for only 5 days
    What do you mean by 5 days?

I still find it BAD news. And I should have mentioned this before, DRM HAS NOT BEEN CRACKED SO FAR. It's been around for 3 years now and no one has managed to do so, or at least if anyone did, he's frightned to announce it. DRM isn't about region protection, it's about content licensing.

Let's face it, Apple doesn't want people to download its trailers. Simply because they want people to visit their site, that's why they trouble themselves with this trailers thing - self promotion. If things go as they seem to be going to, we will have a 3-day licensed trailer. And there won't be anything you could do about it, at least for now, because the licenese is machine-specific.
    It is not enough 'I succeed'. Everyone else must fail.

Credits
    Thanks for the heads-up, wireframe9 .. I am saddened by this news. Here we go .. the evil Gates and Microsoft trying to use their might to squash competition again .. Disney's in such bad trouble, I'd bet Eisner has signed a lucrative pact with the devil .. oh, I mean contract with MS. No doubt this fits right in with MS's total world domination business plan .. ahh, crap!

"It used to be said that we are what we eat... And then people maybe... a little more fashion conscious would say... 'No, you are what you wear'... Or you are what you read... But we would say in this millenium... You are what you watch..." Peter Gabriel - Growing Up

Credits
    I agree I'm all pro-Apple. Microsoft makes evil crap like this OS I'm using right now

Credits
    Originally posted by Rufus
    Disney's in such bad trouble, I'd bet Eisner has signed a lucrative pact with the devil
    The Devil's deal it sure is. But I think it has more to do with Pixar/Steve Jobs/Apple ditching Disney. It looks very much like retiliation to me.

Unless it's Eisner who wanna sign the deal with MS in the first place, pissed Steve Jobs off and led to Pixar leaving Disney. In which it is, we may never know.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    I think you got that right, editman .. hmm!? How is revenge best served again? Oh yeah .. cold!

Credits
    Originally posted by Stormwalker
    i love quicktime.. nothing compares at present... here are the pros:
    Direct Linkable.. save direct to HDD
    Excellent Quality
    Quicktime Player is solid and generally non-buggy.

What does WMP lack... most of that.. chris says the quality is good and i will take his word on that.. but as for windows media player, its bloated and crashes all the time. And media files from micrsoft are usually STREAMING.. and we all know how **** that is...

need i bring up the Lord of the Rings trailer, that was originally released in Real Media.. pfft.. we all know how well that went down.
    You cannot blame the software because of how people use it. You get high res quicktime because Apple do it that way, and most AppleQuicktime is streaming, which I admit is the best streaming software, until Knathrak goes into the scource and finds a link. Anyone who saw the WMP9 trailers me and Chris used to do will know that they are just as good as QT when downloaded to your harddrive, and if people are not downloading to HD then it really makes no difference since you're just watching the trailer for the sake of seeing it, and Editman or someone can get direct link for Cavemen like yourself.

Credits
    quicktime trailers arn't streaming they are progressive... the quicktime streaming trailers are the ones that dont have direct links, the the little button at the bottom of your player starts spinning around and animating itself... you rarely see them on the trailers page...<a href="http://stream.qtv.apple.com/qtv/UMG/imissyou_ref.mov">example of a "real" streaming quicktime movie</a>

yeah but you and chris wont be creating the trailers for microsoft, microsoft will.. and they will make sure that it is streaming, or as difficult as possible to save to a hdd... and if what i read above is true you cant use em after 3 days without cracking it!! (which if it becomes mainstream a crack WILL appear for)... how dodge is that!?