Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

John Woo Directing Paramount's Rainbow Six

http://www.variety.com/

John Woo (Paycheck) will direct Paramount's adaptation of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, featuring the shadowy John Clark CIA agent character, reports Variety.

The story centers on Clark joining with several colleagues to leave the CIA and create an England-based multinational org designed to battle terrorism.

Writers who have worked on the script since 1999 include Michael Shiffer, Bill Wisher, Art Monterastelli, Frank Capello and John Enbom, who was hired in March to script.

Paramount adapted Clancy's Jack Ryan character in The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and The Sum of All Fears and acquired rights last year to Clancy's Red Rabbit, also centered on the Ryan character. It's also developing another Clancy thriller, Without Remorse, based around the John Clark character.
    hope this serves as a good material for Woo
    and Tom Clancy movies always had my interest
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    *jumps around like a gitty schoolboy*
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Rainbox Six is one of the books im reading. Only gotten about 1/5 though. Got pretty boarded with it. The Game is very good however.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    WTF
    BORED OF RAINBOW SIX?!
    anyways...
    WTF
    JOHN WOO DIRECTING RAINBOW SIX?!
    This should be Tony or Ridley Scott directed not John Woo!
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

Credits
    yea totally bored. But then again im not a big Clancy fan, what ive read of him is all very slow paced and actually kind of annoying written. Every page is written like he gets payed per word. Lots of useless stuff in them.

Credits
    I think this one will be a toss-up. John Woo has made some great stuff before, so we will have to see how this one plays out...

Credits
    I agree with Gaumont about the book, I have let's see...at least 9 that I see right now, Tom Clancy books and Rainbow Six took me a LOOOONG time to read. Not because it's like 900 pages long but every mission spans so many pages, the problem with it is it takes a long time before it gets to real action. Not what you'd call a page turner. I'm surprised that his other books haven't been adapted yet....hell, Red Storm Rising has all the stuff a good WW3 movie needs.

Credits
    This is NOT a John Woo movie!
    Yeah I agree, John Woo has made great stuff! I love Hard Boiled, the Killer and Face/off but that kind of "action" is not the realistic "action" that is for Rainbow Six.
    Does anyone know what Im saying?
    Like compare Hard Boiled to Black Hawk Down kinda thing.

Credits
    I agree as well. I think that John Woo may be a bad idea for this type of film.
    John Woo has made great films that I love and will still watch no matter how many times I have seen it. BUt the fact is his stlye is clever-glorified-Ironic Kungfu-gun-violence.
    SharkmanSIX hit the nose when he named the Scotts.

John Woo has created a natural flow of gun violence in his films. Alot of slow motion jumping with guns blazing. The trade mark faceoff with guns in your face. His ever popular "I jump this way and explosion hits in the opposite direction". Not to mention the Doves representing good versus evil. I can't imagine seeing a scene for this film where a team of agents are rushing through a door way and doves start flying away through the door without it coming off as cheesy.

But I will give it a break and see what he comes up with. In the past some directors have made come backs and breakthroughs. Maybe he will pull it off. Then again it is John Woo. I bet you the executives picked him just for his reputation for having lots of wasted ammo and 9 mil. blasting constantly.

But there is one John Woo flick that I also was impressed with was "The Last Hurah for Chivalry"American Title. No guns. Just pure use of weapons in his fashionable style.
    Last edited by Drew Boi; 06-19-2004 at 06:06 AM.

Credits
    I agree whole-heartedly with everything that has been said about John Woo. He's probably a really nice guy and I wouldn't want him to get the wrong impression if he read this. I don't think that he's got the touch for a movie that needs to be in check with reality - a realistic movie rather. Black Hawk Down was a great movie in terms of getting it right when it comes to realism, and initially my thought or hope of who the director should be was Ridley Scott. Although things aren't so simple - perhaps Ridley doesn't want to direct it or perhaps Woo was just in the right place at the right time etc.

He obviously loves the Clancy franchise or he wouldn't have been so quick off the mark to accept the challenge. I just hope that he doesn't mess it up, as I'm a big Clancy fan. I've been playing the game for over 2 years now - I'm a multigamer and the game has brought so much to me. I even met my girlfriend via this game!

Of course, if you mention John Woo and realistic action in the same sentence there will be an element of irony. I really wouldn't want this movie to turn out like a corny, fashion flick (the kind of movies that never become classics and are never remembered - Paycheck, Mission Impossible 2).

It could also be said however, that with a movie that centers around a counter-terrorist team - there are difficulties making it watchable and interesting compared to such films as Face Off and Broken Arrow.