Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Thumbs up Video Games proposed for a spot in the Library of Congress !!

Back when you were a kid and your mom told you to stop playing Nintendo because video games rotted your brain, it was hard to argue with her.

Well, some geniuses over at Stanford University have set out to prove your mother wrong. They think that some video games are so historically significant they belong in the Library of Congress, and they've even made a list of the 10 most important video games ever that should be considered. There are a couple of games you might have never heard of, but overall it's pretty on point. Tetris, The Sims, Doom-- they're there. And so is, in my opinion, the most important video game in history: Super Mario Bros. 3. Anybody who's ever seen The Wizard would have to agree. (If you don't have 10 minutes to kill, jump to the 3:10 mark. That's when the action gets HOT!) Now the real question: when will The Power Glove get the recognition it deserves?

View this post on celebscoop.net

Credits
    Oh, I loved Star Raiders. I played that for hours on my Atari 400 (that and Joust). Years later, a friend of mine introduced me to Star Wars: X-Wing. He was amazed how quickly I picked up on the game play, not realizing that it was remarkably similar to Star Raiders.

I'm surprised that Pac-Man isn't on the list. That seemed to be THE video game for a long, long time, and first made video games popular.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    let me get this straight ... Spacewar! (1962), Star Raiders (1979), Zork (1980), Tetris (1985), SimCity (1989), Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990), Civilization I/II (1991), Doom (1993), Warcraft series (beginning 1994) and Sensible World of Soccer (1994).

i think if anyone is going to make a list of games, the first list should be either the first or the best in that particular genre. there is no need to have Civilization 1 AND 2 there, when they were neither the best or the first in that game type (3/4 view strategy-based role play). I don't think Doom should be up there either. anyone who played should know that Castle Wolfenstein was eariler(if not first) and that marathon was much better in terms of gameplay than Doom. i have never heard of the 'Sensible World of Soccer' ... but considering that i am an avid gamer and have played a ton of games, yet never heard of it ... tells me it wasn't that great. IMO ... eventhough Super Mario 3 is a good game, it is no different than the first Mario or the second one either. still a side scroller. graphics are the same, engine is the same ... same game, just had a few different options. i don't think SM3 should be on that list either. Mario 1, yes. but not 3. i just don't see how revolutionary it was ...

the fact that Pong, Pacman or even Mortal Kombat are not present shows this group's lack of intelligence considering games. i would place money that this is nothing more than a group of endorsement seekers looking to make some money from the gaming industry .... also, i think it is weird that not one game in the last 13 years is present.

i played star raiders on my (very) old atari 800. loved that game but i always wanted to blow up the base as soon as i got refueled. it was fun but got boring rather quickly ....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    SimCity I'm surprised that one of my favorites games is on this list. That's why, always when someone ask me about favorite kind of game, I answer - strategic!

j7wild Guest
    Pong is the Great Great Grandfather of Video Games and it's also the very first Video Game (that I actually played on a coin operated arcade machine and then later on a game console that hooks up to the TV) I'd ever played!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by red bear View Post
    i played star raiders on my (very) old atari 800. loved that game but i always wanted to blow up the base as soon as i got refueled. it was fun but got boring rather quickly ....
    Hee-hee... I did that myself a few times. I remember once I tried to find out just how bad of a score I could get. I went around and blew up each and every starbase (before refueling), and then used up all my power shooting nothing and running at full speed. Never even got in the same sector as an enemy ship. Unfortunately, I think Garbage Scow Captain Level 5 is as low as it will go.

Credits
    If you read the article they mention some of the reasons for the choices.
    Mario 3 was the first adventure game that was not linear. You could take different paths to the end. Although Mario 1 was the first, 3 was the first to add that element.
    SimCity is also a must. Great choice. As well as Tetris.
    Agreed about Castle Wolfenstein over Doom though.
    And I'm also quite confused about "Sensible world of soccer".

j7wild Guest

Credits
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensible_World_Of_Soccer

Sounds like this game may have set the standard for all sports games currently.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits

Video Games on U. S. Library of Congress

I agree with the idea of get the games preserved on the Library of Congress. Something like this is being done on the Internet Archive, and not only with games.

And another thing: Not should be there Dune II instead of the WarCraft series? I played WarCraft I and III (not II) and I liked it a lot (sometimes I still play WarCraft III, which I have played less than the first) but I really remember when I played Dune II and I believe it was more advanced to its time than WarCraft. By the way: Have someone played the first Dune? How it was?

There is a Pong extension for Firefox (with multiplayer options)

Credits
    Look my pictures and tell me what is the best game ever... (Duke Nukem if you can't see beacuse it's small)