Thanks Thanks:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Credits

Question New computer: RAM memory modules for PC and other questions

I am getting problems with my desire of having a computer. First, computer prices have gone up two times here in Venezuela since the last message about my plans of having one was published in this forum, so maybe I will buy a less powerful machine because the money I have is still the same

This apart, the store I originally chose sells computers assembled by their technicians, I mean no brands. I knew this but what puts me angry is that they sell good parts (Intel motherboard, Intel processor, Hitachi HDD) with generic RAM memory modules (Titan they told me), so I get unsure about what to do.

If someone can help me with this, thank you. What I have to do: buy that Titan RAM memory or look for something better?

I also want to know your opinion about the quality of these PC components:

- Hitachi 160 GB HDD, SATA
    - DVD+R/RW -R/RW unit, LG, I suppose DL, internal IDE (in the future I will buy a CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives)
    - Intel D102GGCL motherboard (with no FireWire I believe)
    - Generic case
    - Power supply (how many watts would be better)

Another question. I believe I will buy a Pentium D 820 processor at 2.8 GHz but I want to know which processor is better:

- Pentium D 945 3.4 GHz or
    - Core 2 Duo at 1.86 GHz

The price diference between those 2 processors is around 50 US$ so I am curious, since the Core 2 Duo is a new technology. Also, in a HD-DVD thread bendermac said something like that Core Duo processors were enough for that X-Box 360 HD-DVD add-on to work, but a Pentium 4 needs to be over 3 GHz for the same thing. So, bendermac specify no clock speed for the Core Duo but said the speed needed for the Pentium 4 processor to work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bendermac View Post
    ...as for cpu, a 3.2ghz with hp should the least i think. core duo would be better...
    The Dell dilemma. For a while I was considering to buy a Dell system from their Dimension desktop family. After all, it will come with original Windows XP with a promotion to get Vista free. Also, they were gifting one 17" Dell TFT and double HDD space (to get 160 GB). All that for around 659 US$.

But there is no more offers like this by now and taking taxes and S&H, I don't know if I can pay it.

Apart of this, there are disgusting things on the Dell systems: only 2 PCI slots, 1 PCIe x1 and one PCIe x16. Apparently, you can't order without any version of MS Office or MS Works. And the power supply is 305 watts.

Well, the question is: What do you think about Dell computers?

OS questions. Reading all the info on the Dell site, I was asking to myself what do you think about Windows XP Home and Media Center editions. Also it will be interesting to know your thoughts about the upcoming Vista and its versions.

I will try to buy Windows XP but I believe I will use one GNU/Linux distribution.
    Last edited by jmcc; 12-17-2006 at 04:43 PM.

j7wild Guest
    I get my memory here and they will ship to Venezuela:

http://www.crucial.com/store/international_shipping.asp

you should have at least 400W

stay away from DELL, they suck

The P4D 3.4 processor you mentioned will be enough;

unless you are going to do some major multi-tasking, there is no need for the Core 2 Duo

Credits
    Qs I can answer:
    As for CPU, Dual Core is far better, u must count on fact that there are TWO cores, each one works on 1.86 Ghz (in case of your example) so it makes much more work then for example p4 3.2Ghz. Its faster and can handle more dificult operations in far smaller time.
    As for OS question, IŽd rather stick with XP home edition, then takin some Media Centre Edition. Media Centre Edition seems to be just more CPU using, it has nothing Home edition cant handle and some programs do NOT work under it. So its pretty much useless.

As for components uŽve mentioned - it doesnt much matter on which HDD u choose, just look at speed of spinning, SATAŽs good. Same goes with LG (I have LG DVD and its just great)
    Power suply depends on motherboard and CPU most, but the guy who builds it for u should choose the suply best
    Me angry! WhereŽs my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

j7wild Guest
    but if you really want to save some $$$ and be sure, build it yourself by buying all the parts here:

http://shop1.outpost.com/template/he...tionalShipping

Credits
    but yes, the Pentium D 945 3.4ghz is enought, I have it for year and a half and have not found anythin, that didnt work (even 1080p video by appleschnapple works just fine)
    EDIT: have Presscott 541 3.42Ghz

Credits
    Just to clear up any confusion, the Pentium D and Core 2 Duo are both dual-core processors. Pentium D is not the same as Pentium 4. And yes, the C2D 6300 (1.86 Ghz) blows the Pentium D out of the water.

400w PSU should be fine depending on what kind of video card(s) you plan to use. If you want to go SLi, think higher. But personally, I think it's too much trouble (and expensive). Just get yourself something like a 7600 GT for a nice cheap price and save up for a Direct X 10 card when Vista comes out and all the prices drop. Don't get that Gforce 8800 unless you want to start hemmorhaging money right now.

I can't speak to RAM modules, but I haven't had any problems with budget brands. Still, if you have a choice, go with the value series from reputable companies like Crucial, Corsair, etc.

As for the optical drive, I recommend finding a nice, cheap one like the NEC 3550. That thing costs $30 and I have never heard any complaints. It burns fast and reliably, and is compatible with just about anything.
    I personally bought a Samsung 18x drive for the same price ($30) that includes 12x DVD-RAM and Lightscribe. It's as fast as any other drive on the market, and has more options than I know what to do with. Plus, it comes with Nero burning software
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits

Smile New computer

Thank you guys, I am studying your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by wirm View Post
    ...And yes, the C2D 6300 (1.86 Ghz) blows the Pentium D out of the water...
    Thank you wirm, that is one of the things I am really interested to know. Then I will try to get the C2D 6300.

About 3D cards, I will not buy one by now. The integrated graphics in the DG965SS Intel motherboard, for example, fully supports the Aero interface of Windows Vista and I suppose it will do a decent work in a lot of games.

RAM memory: how about Kingston?

Another thing: Which is better, bulk or retailed box? Because I am finding a lot of stores that only sells bulk stuff, for example DVD+-R/+-RW without box, manuals, cables, nothing but the drive (Edit: and the installation CD).

Of course I am sure retailed is better, but just want to know what do you think.

Edit: Intel motherboards come only with 2 PCI slots and 1 PCIe x1 and 1 PCIe x16. Do you know another good brand for motherboards with models with more than 2 PCI slots? Because in the future I want to buy one TV tuner card like Hauppauge! WinTV PVR 150 (official site) and I don't like the perspective of having only one PCI slot free.
    Last edited by jmcc; 12-15-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Credits
    I'm afraid I know very little about motherboards. But as for the processors, have a look at the benchmarks shown here (games)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-e6300_11.html

I generally buy computer parts OEM (pretty much the same as bulk). OEM components are cheaper, though you're right that they usually don't have cables or screws or manuals. But most computers have spare eide sockets for hard drives or optical drives, and usually some extra power supply plugs sticking around. Just open up your computer and make sure you see those spares. Otherwise you may need to get more cables. I remember buying a SATA hard drive for a computer and then having to separately buy a SATA cable because it didn't come with one.

Also make sure you have the little screws to mount the drive. You really only need 2 screws to make sure the thing doesn't go flipping around.

Credits
    I use ASUS motherboards.

Any no name brand RAM should be fine. RAM either works or it doesn't. (Unless you plan on overclocking... then go for the more expensive name brands).

Credits
    I'm afraid I know very little about motherboards. But as for the processors, have a look at the benchmarks shown here (games)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-e6300_11.html...
    Very interesting again wirm. I don't like overclocking: it reduces processors and other components life, I believe. I can live at normal 1.86 x 2 speed

I have read a lot about Asus motherboards and other components but I have not seen it here in Venezuela.

I have decided to follow j7wild's advice and I will build the system by myself, but not to save money. It is because I want all manuals, boxes and things because I am sure I will learn something from that documentation.

Now there are no C2D E6300 processors at the new store I have decided to buy from (you know, Christmas ). I am waiting for the processor and then I will buy the other critic parts. By now I will try to find retail boxed versions for the common parts.

Thanks wirm, j7wild, st39.6 and JPB.

Edit: What do you think about this hard disk drive?

And sorry for too many questions

lol, another one: here you have the C2D processor box. My question is: how is the box covered? I mean, it should be covered by transparent plastic with Intel's name and logo all around, am I right?
    Last edited by jmcc; 12-15-2006 at 03:05 PM.

j7wild Guest
    Seagate Hard Drives are the best!!

that processor is good too!!

Credits
    Sorry, I can't read Spanish, but I've never had any problems with any brand of hard disk. This includes Western Digital, Maxtor, Hitachi or Seagate. So I'm sure that's fine.

As for the processor, that should come exactly like that little blue box (looks retail), inside a plain brown cardboard box filled with foam peanuts. Is that what you're asking? I'm sure it's different for every shipper.

Credits

Question New computer

...As for the processor, that should come exactly like that little blue box (looks retail), inside a plain brown cardboard box filled with foam peanuts. Is that what you're asking?...
    No. I am asking if the box itself is covered with transparent plastic with Intel name all around the plastic directly from the factory. I have already bought the processor and the box came without that plastic. The guy at the store told me that neither Intel nor AMD are using plastic to seal its products boxes. I don't know, it sounds strange for me because around 7 years ago when I bought my previous Intel motherboard, its box came covered in such plastic. What do you think?

My box have two "Intel factory sealed" seals intact.

At this moment I have the next components:

- 16x DVD+-R/+-RW Double Layer LiteOn drive, model SHW-160P6S
    - APC Back-UPS ES 750
    - C2D E6400 2.13 GHz

Tried to find C2D E6300 but it was impossible. I even was thinking in going to another city, 80 kilometers from here, because there was 1 E6300 processor there, but the price didn't justify the travel. So I bought this one

The box is like this one:

(source)

This is the UPS:

(source)

Now my problem is the motherboard. I haven't found Asus. Only Intel, ECS Elite Group, MSI, ASRock and PCChips but not too many to choose between. Few models.

Tell me something: The C2D comes only in PGA775 format or it also is manufactured for another type of socket?

Another thing is that I am very interested on an Intel motherboard. Here I can only find microATX boards from Intel but the fan included on the processor's box is ATX. I don't know if it is about the chassis or the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    Seagate Hard Drives are the best!!

that processor is good too!!

That is what I think based on friends comments and one magazine article. I will try to buy one Seagate HDD.
    Last edited by jmcc; 04-22-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: To add DVD/RW drive model

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

stay away from the ECS Elite Group Motherboard if you want your computer to Live a long time!!

Credits

Unhappy New computer: motherboard

OK, I will avoid them j7wild. That is because I want an Intel motherboard

A new thing I have found: The processor's box has a labeled warning, the processor needs an electrically compatible board according to PCG 06 (PCG is for Platform Compatibility Guide). ATX power supply needs to comply with ATX 2.2.

Now I was checking the Intel motherboards for C2D available in Caracas on the Intel site and none of them are PCG 06 compatible

To check the power supply will be a headache, I think. People at the stores don't like to talk too much by telephone with potential clients and I don't like to go to the stores to ask things without buying something

I will see what I can do
    Last edited by jmcc; 12-17-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast