Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Sailing Anyone?

Credits

Question Sailing Anyone?

Do many forum members find the regatta going on off the coast of Spain interesting? Should I run a poll...never done one of those.

I do.... Sure it's at times like watching paint dry - at other times exciting, always confusing to me, but I do enjoy watching it.

Of course I'm talking about The Louis Vuitton Cup, to decide who challenges Switzerland, [which last time I looked on the map is landlocked] in the America's Cup hence the event being hosted at Valencia

This from http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/497100/1128937 -an admittedly partisan source and already a day old:

McBeth: Semi-finals heating up

By John McBeth

The semi finals of the Louis Vuitton Cup are hotting up.

Day three had everyone gasping. The results were so unexpected.

First up Emirates Team New Zealand suffered their first loss to a Spanish team which is now full of enthusiasm and high expectations.

The penalty which Karol Jablonski inflicted on Dean Barker had no bearing on the outcome. The New Zealand team knew they were easily capable of establishing a sizeable enough lead to be able to complete a penalty turn late in the race, so they were not worried about it.

But the opportunity to establish that lead never presented itself. For one of their rare occasions, the New Zealanders found themselves out of kilter with the wind shifts. They had predicted a right-hand shift later in the fist leg, but Desafio was right on the spot for the shift and they capitalised.

It was all hard work for Team New Zealand after that, and The Spanish sailed precisely the way they should have to defend their lead.

It was a wonderful victory for them and even the most avid and staunch New Zealand supporter would have felt at least a little bit of joy for the crew of Desafio Espanol.

Dean Barker told me afterwards that the loss has not altered his belief that he and his crew will be in the final. They half expected to lose a race and so this result has been no dramatic shock.

What has been a shock though has been the way in which Luna Rossa has taken two races off BMW Oracle Racing.

Throughout the Round Robin series, the American entry has looked exceptionally strong in all aspects. Even when they have been trailing, they have found that little edge over their rivals which has seen them overtake on six occasions.

But in the semi finals, Luna Rossa has proved much more difficult than many predicted. They could even be 3-0 up as they have led at every mark in the three races.

This Italian challenge is much better than in 2000 and 2003. The experience gained in those two challenges, coupled with the introduction of some tough and knowledgeable ANZACs, makes this a team not to be underestimated.

James Spithill is starting superbly and with tactician Torben Grael sailing slightly more conservatively, Luna Rossa looks very threatening.

Yet they, and everybody else, are well aware of the Dickson factor. This man, at his best, can be a match winner. If his afterguard and crew are on the mark, there is every reason to suggest that Chris Dickson and the Oracle boat will come out fighting.

If Luna Rossa give the American challenge a hint of an opening they will regret it.

2-1 in this series is nothing. There is much thrilling action yet to come.
    Coverage I've heard overnight (here) could mean finalists to race the main event could be decided within the next 24 hours...but then again it ain't over!

I understand it even less than AFL but I do enjoy it. Anyone else?
    "Heart and humour and humility will lighten your heavy load"
    Joni Mitchell

Credits
    I don't follow overseas sailing but frequently attend the races in New York. Most of the time it's just amateur crews out of the local clubs but every once in a while there's big events.

I also religiously follow the Volvo Ocean Race. I've always found those to be the most exciting.

Credits
    I used to follow the Madision (Indiana) Regatta, but that wasn't sailing, that involved hydroplanes on the Ohio River (if you don't know what a hydroplane is, imagine an Indy car or an F1 car racing on water, and you get the idea), and it was only 26 miles south of where I used to live.

Otherwise, considering I am very much land-locked, I never got into boating of any kind.

Not from Madison, but here is a decent hydroplane clip:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDvLIoa7on8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDvLIoa7on8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Last edited by corfy; 05-19-2007 at 11:03 AM.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

j7wild Guest
    I get seasick!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    I get seasick!!

what even watching it on TV. Come to think of it that is when I do get slightly queasy watching people taking enormous risks clambering up and down masts just for a few seconds of tactical advantage in fickle winds... Was planning to stay up a few more hours to watch the sailing but [yawn]... might just catch the highlights
    manana

Credits
    This thread made me think of contemporary movies that are taking place mainly on modern boats, yachts and ships...

"Knife in the Water" one of Roman Polanski's best movie. Almost whole movie takes palce on a small boat. Black and White cinematography in this movie is absolutely beautiful.
    "Dead Calm" comes second on my list. Fantastic movie.
    "White Squall" Ridley Scott most boring movie...
    "Wind" the movie I completely don't remember

Anyone knows some more good movies which involve sailing?

Credits
    "Wind" is the one I was trying to remember:
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0105824/

specifically re the time the US lost it's stranglehold on the Cup (to Australia) in 1983 after holding it for roughly a century.

Since then it has been a truly worldwide event. My own country having won and retained it then lost it to Switzerland for Goodness sake!

Have to confess I have never seen "Knife in the Water" I have seen "Dead Calm" and loved it.

A few fictional movies have recently involved yachting as a way to fake death and assume a new identity either to escape an abusive relationship ("Sleeping with the Enemy") or get away from a no-longer loved spouse also framing her for a murder in the process (Double Jeopardy?) -had Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones in it.

Probably a few more but coverage of a possibly crucial day in Valencia is just coming up now on Tv and I have decided to stay up (after midnight here) and watch at least a bit of it!
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-20-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: posted wrong imdb link very embarrassing

Credits

Smile Nicole Kidman

Oh! I remember Dead Calm (1989) j7wild, can't you find movie stills for this movie (focusing on Nicole Kidman of course )?

And of course, if you want. I will not die if you can't (or not want to) do it

Credits

Smile Nicole Kidman and current stae of play

j7wild, can't you find movie stills for this movie (focusing on Nicole Kidman of course
    :from jmcc
    It seems j7wild has already obliged on that don't know if they feature Nicole as she was when Dead Calm checking that later.

Anyhoo back to Valencia
    I got a screengrab from the official site showing results while I was sleeping:
    http://www.americascup.com/en/

and I was wrong in hinting that some teams might be packing up in 24 hours, it should have been 48 hours.

Other movies I've thought- partially about life (or death) under sail:
    POTC 1,2&3 of course
    Jaws: the Revenge
    the recent one with Jessica Alba
    Riddle of the Sands (early 70s) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079808/
    The Deep (late 70s) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075925/
    of course there is also "The Ferryman" http://www.movie-list.com/forum/show...light=Ferryman
    whenever that is released
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-19-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: adding as promised IMDb refs to earlier movies

Credits

Italy through, Spain still has chance at L.V. final!

....and Kiwis like me getting nervous. I didn't watch any of it last night (NZ time) enjoyed a good night's sleep (for me that is)!

....and missed the excitement, will be watching highlights and press conference this morning.

But for the US entry I can only quote a verse from Bob Dylan:-

All your seasick sailors, they are rowing home
    Your empty handed armies, are all going home
    Your lover who just walked out the door
    Has taken all his blankets from the floor
    The carpet, too, is moving under you
    And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

The America's Cup is still no longer Amerika's Cup!
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-20-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: changed not to no longer

Credits
    Hey, Wind, lol! I remember watching that movie like 10 times on our old VHS when I was about 9 years old (which is 9 years back). It was one of the first movies that cought my interests, even tho I dont remember almost anything from it right now (is that the one with "Geronimo!!"?).

As for Sailing, my stepfather (or how do I call this family member...he´s brother of my mother ) has a sailing boat, which is one of the oldest in Czech republic and he tought me how to sail. I LOVED IT! (and for those, who think that country without sea cant sail, dont be wrong! There´s still planty of water all around where the sailing is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than on sea /mostly because on sea, the wind´s speed is constant which you can never say about wind on bay/lock/dam or however should I call it). I love sailing and its on of the things I´m looking forward most on summer holidays. Its kinda hard for hands tho ...

But I never followed it up on TV ...
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits

Red face sailing on lakes or rivers

Quote Originally Posted by st39.6 View Post
    Hey, Wind, lol! I remember watching that movie like 10 times on our old VHS when I was about 9 years old (which is 9 years back). It was one of the first movies that cought my interests, even tho I dont remember almost anything from it right now (is that the one with "Geronimo!!"?).

As for Sailing, my stepfather (or how do I call this family member...he´s brother of my mother ) has a sailing boat, which is one of the oldest in Czech republic and he tought me how to sail. I LOVED IT! (and for those, who think that country without sea cant sail, dont be wrong! There´s still planty of water all around where the sailing is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than on sea /mostly because on sea, the wind´s speed is constant which you can never say about wind on bay/lock/dam or however should I call it). I love sailing and its on of the things I´m looking forward most on summer holidays. Its kinda hard for hands tho ...

But I never followed it up on TV ...
    Hi st39.6

Hey I agree completely that sailing does not have to place on a sea or ocean and it just seems to be the place where you can get a more reliable wind.

BTW I have corrected the IMDb ref to "Wind" in my post earlier . Not having seen the movie I don't know about "Geronimo". But as you can see from link it had Cliff Robertson in it... who no doubt you remember from 1st 2 Spiderman movies.

I'm surprised though you could watch a movie about 9 times and still not remember much about it Trailer link on IMDb does not seem to have any links.

You sound like you are far better yachtsman than I could ever hope to be. I just enjoy getting out strictly as a passenger, remembering to duck and dodge the real sailors as much as possible!

Coverage on TV is far more interesting than when I first started taking an interest 25 years ago. Close-up cams and computer graphics explaining WTF is going on make a lot of difference .

I would call my mother's brother my uncle but he sounds like a special person and he may be more like a stepfather to you.
    Apologies for any element of gloating to people from the USA. Reference to Amerika completely uncalled for. I obviously still carry a grudge about some of the previous regattas when you guys held the cup for over 100 years which seemed to be decided more in the courtrooms than on the water. I really feel sorry for people like Corfy who being landlocked probably never really get the chance to experience it. Hydroplaning looks fun Have done jetboating which was really thrilling.

Typing this from library where I keep getting excluded from previewing post so hoping it goes out all right. Rest day in Valencia tomorrow so semi finals still alive for at least another 36 hours give or take.

Italy must be celebrating and so must be Spain still in with a grin. Would love to be over there but even if I could afford it my passport has lapsed.

Credits
    I'm surprised though you could watch a movie about 9 times and still not remember much about it
    >>
    I remember watching that movie like 10 times on our old VHS when I was about 9 years old

Personally I remember almost nothing from age of nine ... does anyone?. .. I just remember the tape in the living room and that I kept playing it. Not really much more.
    (Yea, now I remember a bit > Geronimo was there, they were testing some kind of new tilt which they called like that as far as I remember )

Uncle ... huh, yeah, thanks. Its funny, sometimes I just cant recall some words in english and am too lazy to finde´em in dictionary...how could I not remember "uncle" is way of my imagination ...

...NON-EDIT post after looking at imdb profile .... hell yeah, movie of my childhood, lol .... I gotta dig that VHS somewhere! Now even remember the story. BTW if you look at the poster, THAT tilt on is is "Geronimo" )

Credits
    Yeah I really shoild look out for that movie too {Wind}. Been too excited following the oldest international event of all and its completlely playing havic with my day-night cycle. Hoping that will not stay up all night in two weeks time to watch it blow by blow. I dont think my nerves could stand it...! Was sort of sorry to see Italy defeated , they are a nation of true sailing gentlemen... Christopher Columbus anyone???:?